Danish State Visit to Norway: May 14 - 15, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lovely start to day two. They look so relaxed. Glad they took time to answer some questions

"When TV 2 asked Frederik and Mary if they have any advice for Norway's crown prince couple, after they themselves have been king and queen for four months, both the royal couple and the crown prince couple began to laugh.
- It comes with the job. It is delightful. It is wonderful to be with friends, family and colleagues, answered a smiling Frederik and nodded towards Haakon and Mette-Marit."

live blog from BT

and from Billedbladet

Architecture walk at the harbour front in Oslo where they were join by Sonja showing some of her art
Lovely photo of Frederik and Mary

Frederik's speech from yesterday

From the NRF faccebook

Group photo from the final event, onboard the Dannebrog

and a lovely video

Last edited by a moderator:
Akershus Slot is, as you may tell, a medieval castle. You can actually tell from the medieval word: "hus". - The word is also in Danish and today it means house, but in medieval times it specifically meant a larger residence made of stone. Usually fortified. I.e. a castle, but sometimes also a stately city-house made from stone. But the word did not cover churches and monasteries.
For example in the Danish town of Randers in 1340 there were only three such stone buildings in the entire town, including the local castle. (It was incidentally in Randers in 1340 that the most famous special forces operation in Danish history took place, but that's another story.)
Slot is a word derived from German, Schloss, which means castle, palace, manor or palatial residence. But in Danish/Norwegian it also means a residence that was used by the royal family. And the title of slot, once acquired, remains.
So Akershus Slot is a medieval castle that at least previously was used as a residence by the royal family.

Both King Frederik and CP Haakon are in this photo wearing the full dress uniforms of a full admiral. Can you decide, I wonder, who is the better looking and/or whose uniform is the better looking.

For comparison, the Danish adjutant behind them is a major in the air force.
For me, it's probably always going to be Haakon. That is one good looking man.

Out of curiosity and because I'm totally ignorant:
Queen Mary has a new hairdresser, who will have accompanied her to both Sweden and Norway, no doubt.
What's your take? Can you see any difference in style?

She has a new hairdresser because the former one retired not because she was looking for a new style. I guess by now Mary knows what works for her and tells him what she wants.

It may have been more casual and less structured but the programme of events have been on the whole fairly casual.

Are Frederik and Mary flying or sailing back to Denmark?

Out of curiosity and because I'm totally ignorant:
Queen Mary has a new hairdresser, who will have accompanied her to both Sweden and Norway, no doubt.
What's your take? Can you see any difference in style?
Yes. I think the previous hairstylist gave her sleeker styles. Barely a hair out of place and I don’t think he left tendrils out much.

Are Frederik and Mary flying or sailing back to Denmark?

Mary was seen leaving the ship.
Its presume flying home, maybe very early meetings/commitments?

the "sailor king" as billedbladet has called him, Frederik is sailing with the Dannebrog back to Denmark

what a picture!

Some beautiful shots from the reception on the Dannebrog

Queen Sonja took advantage for some pictures herself

Last edited:
I liked King Harald's speech when he mentioned Queen Mary, you can tell they think a lot of her.
Queen Mary looked so relaxed when she was with the Norway Royal Family

King Harald said: “Dear Mary, you took on a big task when you went and fell in love with this sporty Dane. You gave up a lot that was safe and familiar. You made Denmark and the Danes your own heartland . I know that you have also been a great support for our beloved Queen Margrethe

I liked King Harald's speech when he mentioned Queen Mary, you can tell they think a lot of her.
Queen Mary looked so relaxed when she was with the Norway Royal Family

King Harald said: “Dear Mary, you took on a big task when you went and fell in love with this sporty Dane. You gave up a lot that was safe and familiar. You made Denmark and the Danes your own heartland . I know that you have also been a great support for our beloved Queen Margrethe
He spoke to both of them as a “loving uncle” with heartfelt comments.

No Danish order for princess Astrid...
Like in Sweden for Carl Philip and Sofia,. But surprised that she not already have it as she has accompanied her father on his first State Visit to Denmark.

Back
Top Bottom