Greek Royals at the Athens Olympics 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rere said:
I think you're right.
Is Theodore the one in yellow and white? Nikolaos is behind Phillippos? I don't know who the other two are? Can someone help?

I think the other two are just members of the crew and not Pavlos or other members of the royal family.

Theodora is in yellow and white sitting at the front.

Nikolaos with the flag behind Phillippos.

Anne Marie sitting in front of Constantine.

Thank You Alexandria for the clear up.

Interesting article about Constantine at the games.

A Mixed Welcome for Greece's Ex-King

While Europe's royal families have long added a bit of glamour to the Olympics, one blue-blooded Athens visitor is getting a mixed reception from Greeks: Constantine, who ruled the country as king for less than four years before going into exile.

The "ex", as some Greek newspapers call the former monarch, has been in Greece since the beginning of the Games and has attended numerous competitions with Greek athletes.

While Constantine himself has told reporters that Greeks have been kind to his family wherever he goes, not everyone seems to be happy to have him back.
He left Greece in 1967 after a military coup. The monarchy was abolished in a referendum in 1974, when 69 percent of Greeks voted for a republic. He's not been immensely popular in his native country ever since.

Greek leftist politicians were irked when Constantine attended an event at the country's presidential palace, which used to serve as the royal family's residence.
Media coverage of his visit hasn't been too pleasant for him, either: Greek newspaper To Wima for example criticized his joyous reaction to the Greek team's success during sailing competitions, calling Constantine's behavior "inappropriate."

"Spain's Queen Sofia, the ex's sister, at least displayed aristocratic countenance at a Basketball game," the paper wrote.

The journalists might have cut Constantine some slack as he became the first Greek to win an Olympic gold medal since 1912 in 1960 -- four years before he became king. He did so in Sailing (Dragon Class) as helmsman. He is honorary president of the International Sailing Federation as well as an honorary member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

According to news reports, the IOC is still thinking about letting Constantine hand out medals during a sailing competition.

Traveling on a Danish passport -- Constantine's ancestor, King George I., was a Danish prince -- the ex-king even had trouble getting into the country. But Greeks might get to see much more of their former monarch as he said he is looking for a new home.

"I don't care if I'm the head of state, if I'm the king of the country or just a simple citizen -- (it) is just being with Greek people and be in my own country that counts most of all," he said in a interview with US broadcaster NBC.

Family reunion
Despite the controversy surrounding his visit, Constantine will have a chance to catch up with relatives who have come to Athens as well.

Apart from his sister Sofia, the Spanish queen, the Danish royal family is also attending. Constantine's wife, Anne-Marie, is a sister of Denmark's Queen Margrethe II.

Danish Crown Prince Frederik and his new wife, Mary, are also in Athens, just like Sweden's royal couple, King Carl XVI. Gustaf and Queen Silvia.

Both couples have a special relationship with the Olympics as they met during previous games: Frederik and Mary met in Sydney in 2000 and Carl Gustaf and Silvia in Munich in 1972.

Other royals who have or will visit the Athens Games include Belgium's King Albert II., Britain's Princess Anne, Crown Prince Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands and Crown Prince Haakon of Norway. (win)
Source: www.dw-world.de

What a great article. However I am sad to see that things still haven't simmered! I was astonished to see that Konstantinos and Anne-Marie are on Danish Passports and not British passports. It will be interesting to see if he buys a home in Greece or not. I am surprised that MC hasn't bought one already in Greece since they have been given the oportunity to travel to Greece. It will also be interesting to see if Konstantinos and Anne-Marie will become citizens to live in Greece one day or not! I thought that His Majesty and his family refused to give into the dropping of the titles and becoming ordinary citizens. I think that we should start a thread that will better explain the reason why Konstantinos and Anne-Marie are STILL not liked in Greece some 40 years later. How sad!

I just hope that things become better for thier children.

I am not saying that they are suffring. However, it kinda sucks to be away from your homeland. Konstantine must be going crazy! However he is probably doing better nowdays that he can visit Greece as he pleases. As for the younger two, Phillippos and Theodora, I feel bad for them and Nikolaos as well. Neither of them have really gotten to experience Greece. It sucks that their two older siblings were born there and they weren't. Think about how hard that must be for them....

Bumping this up. Hoping that someone might have some more photos of the Greek royals at the olympics.

Do anyone know why Philippos didn´t atend his both cousins wedding in May?

No, the Junta did not pass a referendum: it just abolished monarchy. In 1974 the Junta left power after half of the island of Cyprus was invaded by Turkey. After the Junta had left power, a referendum took place. I believe 35 % of the Greeks voted in favour of the re-establishment of monarchy. The rest voted for republic. Technically the results of the referendum were fair. Nevertheless, King Constantinos was not allowed to go to Greece during the referendum campaign in order to get support for the monarchy. Apparently, Prime Minister Karamanlis, who organized the referendum, had promised the King that he would call him to Greece for campaigning. But he did not. The Greek royal family was very upset with Karamanlis because of that. For that reason, years later, when Karamanlis, then new President of the Greek Republic, visited Spain, Queen Sofía took her revenge: for the state dinner at the Madrid Royal Palace she wore not only her best tiara, but the Greek Royal Order band accross her chest (she has only wore that band once in Spain: in that dinner ;))

This is not correct. George Papadopoulos, the dictator, ablosihed the monarchy on June 1, 1973 and held a fraudulent referendum in July of 1973.
Thus, the Second Hellenic Republic started on June 1, 1973. The Junta collapsed in July 1974 during the Turkish invasion of Cyprus. The Second Republic lasted until December 8, 1974, when a referendum was held by the Karamanlis government. The result was 30% in favor of the monarchy. Thus, the Third Greek Republic started on December 8, 1974. The referendum itself was conducted impeccably but it is acknowledged that the king did not have adequate time or opportunity to present his point of view. Nonetheless, it is widely agreed by historians and analysts alike that even under the rosiest of circumstances the royal cause would have not received more that 40-44%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom