Royal Funerals and Mourning

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Orthodox religion there is a special funeral rite that is held on the 40th day after the death of someone.

I can't remember the name of it-maybe an Orthodox member could chime in- but like most everything in the Greek Orthodox Rite it is very symbolic and important. It commemorates the 40 day period that Christ spent alone in the desert.

The souls of the departed are said to wander the places that were special to them on Earth , and the 40th day ceremony marks the completion of this period when the soul can continue its journey to Paradise.

And I was thinking-hoping-that Constantine's family will have the service at St. Sophia Orthodox Cathedral in London.

It could be attended by members of the British Royal Family and other dignitaries who couldn't pay their respects in Athens.

Last edited:
In the Orthodox religion there is a special funeral rite that is held on the 40th day after the death of someone.

I can't remember the name of it-maybe an Orthodox member could chime in- but like most everything in the Greek Orthodox Rite it is very symbolic and important. It commemorates the 40 day period that Christ spent alone in the desert.

The souls of the departed are said to wander the places that were special to them on Earth , and the 40th day ceremony marks the completion of this period when the soul can continue its journey to Paradise.

And I was thinking-hoping-that Constantine's family will have the service at St. Sophia Orthodox Cathedral in London.

It could be attended by members of the British Royal Family and other dignitaries who couldn't pay their respects in Athens.

That's a rite that I previously unaware of prior to the death of the king.

The mass is called "Mnimosyno" (free translation remembrance mass)
Since the word does not indicate the number of days, as it is used also for the one year Mass, we called "Ta Saranda" meaning : the 40 (days).
It has to be held maximum 40 days after the passing, or slightly earlier but never after.

It is not a royal rite, is for every Orthodox.

And as we now know for HLM, the king it has been held in Greece. It has to take place where the departed is buried (unless strong impeachment)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom