Royal Wedding Vows

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are the three options for Swedish wedding vows, I think that both the king and queen as well as Victoria and Daniel used the first ones. Swedish Wedding Vows

These are very beautiful words :flowers:
I prefer devotion to obdenience,it seems more romantic and modern-but every bride should chose her own way and style!If she likes to say "obey" because she wants to preserve traditions and celebrate her wedding just as it has been for many centuries before her, I don´t object.I am happy that nowadays women have a choice on what they want to say and how they want it to be and the church is much more open-minded and gives more creative freedom to change certain parts of the ceremony if you wish to do so.So both traditionalists and reformers can have it their way & I respect that other people have different views on this topic.

Last edited:
These are very beautiful words :flowers:
I prefer devotion to obdenience,it seems more romantic and modern-but every bride should chose her own way and style!If she likes to say "obey" because she wants to preserve traditions and celebrate her wedding just as it has been for many centuries before her
The word "trogen" that has been translated as "devoted" into English really means "true" or "faithful".

As for Sweden, the word "obey" dissapeared a long time ago, and if a bride would want to promise to obey her husband, I think that many of the priests in the Church of Sweden would ask her to reconsider that, as a marriage is seen as a union of two equeals. There was a lot of objection from Swedish priests that crown princess Victoria wanted her father to walk her up the aile, as it's not a Swedish tradition and gives the impression that the bride is someone her father can give away as he likes, and not a person able to make her own choice whom she marries.

Thanks IloveCP!

Even though I could only understand William/Kate's in English, all of them seemed so intimate, emotional and intense that I felt like an intruder on each couple. Very, very beautiful! :whistling:

What does this mean here in the wedding service? :ermm: :unsure:

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,serif]For be ye well assured, that so many as be coupled together otherwise than God's Word doth allow are not joined together by God; neither is their Matrimony lawful. :flowers: [/FONT]:princess2:

I think it's pretty clear what it means.:ermm:

Not every couple who recites marriage vows is actually married in the sight of God and not every union carries God's blessing, according to the marriage rite of the Church of England.

Not politically correct, but there you have it.

Last edited:
Some religious traditions-the Catholic and Orthodox for example, offer little to no leeway in the personalizing of marriage vows.

In other words you do it their way or get married outside of the Church.

Some religious traditions-the Catholic and Orthodox for example, offer little to no leeway in the personalizing of marriage vows.

In other words you do it their way or get married outside of the Church.

I got married in the Catholic tradition and wouldn't have wanted to have messed with the vows, I love tradition.

As a Roman Catholic I quite agree, angela. The marital vows of the Nuptial Mass are beautiful, spiritual and profound. I would never wish to tamper with them and I applaud the Church for not permitting it.

Back
Top Bottom