A Boy for Guillaume and Stéphanie - Charles: May 10, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I posted yesterday that I hope they'll share the news with us soon, I didn't really mean this soon but look, a boy!

I'm so happy for Guillaume and Stephanie, they finally have their little boy! I like the name, well, all six of them, and tbh I quite enjoy the fact that we get everything in one go - date, place, name, everything. Creating a virtual congratulations book is also a great idea, the HGD Couple really never disappoints.

Little Charles! I can't wait until we get to see him!

I am so delighted, and here in Belgium it is mothers' day too !

In Luxembourg on June 14th. So more than a month wait for Stéphanie's real Mothers Day as a very mother herself.

Guillaume has to wait until October for his first Fathers Day as a very father himself.

:flowers:

Last edited:
What wonderful news!
Welcome to the world Prince Charles! :luxflag:

Congratulations to the HGD couple and their families! Happy News!

Digital congratulations book : Naissance princière : Comment envoyer un message de félicitations ? - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - May 2020

Informations relatives à la naissance du Prince Charles - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Mai 2020

- 21 gun salute regardless of the sex of the child

- The HGD couple wish to support child welfare projects. Part of the donations collected will thus be allocated to projects for the benefit of children in the Grand Duchy. The other part of the donations collected will help children in the most vulnerable countries, where famine has worsened since the start of the coronavirus crisis.

- Those wishing to donate are directed to contact Naissance princière | Fondation du Grand-Duc et de la Grande-Duchesse

Announcement in Luxembourgish, French and English

Naissance du premier enfant du Couple héritier - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Mai 2020

It is worth mentioning that the English version of the announcement translates the couple's titles as Crown Prince and Crown Princess. In spite of some royal watchers claiming that this is improper, the courts of both Luxembourg and Monaco utilize the "Crown Prince" translation.

The French version of the announcement also refers to the Hereditary Grand Duchess in the second to last paragraph as "la Princesse" (the Princess), which is acceptable as her complete title is "HRH Princess Stéphanie, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, Hereditary Princess of Nassau, Princess of Bourbon of Parma, etc. etc."

In the 1980s-1990s, the birth of Princess Alexandra was celebrated with a mere 21-round gun salute whereas the births of her brothers were celebrated with 101-round gun salutes. (See the announcements of their births on the website of the government information service.)

Pleased that they eliminated this specific inequality, but I am surprised at the way they went about it. I expected that if it happened, they would increase the number of rounds for princesses to 101 to match the 101-round salute for princes, which is the way it was done in Belgium and the Netherlands.

But they chose the same solution as the Prince of Monaco chose in 2014, and reduced the salute given to princes to 21 rounds to match the salute given to princesses.

Congratulations to the HGD Couple on the birth of their son,wonderful name.

Congratulations to Hereditary Princes Guillaume and Stéphanie, to the Grand-Ducal family, and to all Luxemburg, which have been heavily hit by the epidemic.

Last edited:
What happy news! Congratulations to Guillaume and Stephanie! Welcome to the world, little one!

I think Charles is a male equivalent of Charlotte, so this would recognise the new baby's great-great-grandmother Grand Duchess Charlotte, and great-grandmother Grand Duchess Joséphine Charlotte.

A very traditional Luxembourg royal name indeed!

In addition to Grand Duchess Charlotte, Charles is the name of no less than five other historical monarchs of Luxembourg. The first was the future Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV who reigned as Count of Luxembourg from 1346 until 1353, and the latest was Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI who reigned as Duke of Luxembourg from 1713 until 1740.

So just as with Jean (who was named for Jean "the Blind", Count of Luxembourg) and Henri (whose name derives from many medieval Counts of Luxembourg), the Nassaus have yet again rekindled a name from the old dynasties that reigned over Luxembourg.

They have also upheld the Nassau family tradition of including "Guillaume" (or "Wilhelmine" for girls) and "Marie" in the names of princes(ses) in the direct line.

Is "Joseph" included to honor Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte?

I too was hoping for a girl but I’m just so pleased for them!

I knew it was going to be a year of boys, though had a little secret hope it was going to be a girl.

I agree, with the scarcity of women monarchs, one more would have been wonderful. Yet once the couple disclosed that they knew the sex and elected to dress in blue for the pregnancy announcement and interview, a son was easy to predict.

The royal families of Europe will now have an equal number of male and female monarchs within the prince's generation:

1. Joseph Wenzel of Liechtenstein (b. 1995)
2. Christian of Denmark (b. 2005)
3. George of Britain (b. 2013)
4. Jacques of Monaco (b. 2014)
5. Charles of Luxembourg (b. 2020)

1. Elisabeth of Belgium (b. 2001)
2. Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands (b. 2003)
3. Ingrid Alexandra of Norway (b. 2004)
4. Leonor of Spain (b. 2005)
5. Estelle of Sweden (b. 2012)

Last edited:
Wow...someone posted on Twitter on Wednesday that we would be hearing news from Luxembourg before Monday. Then the post came down. So the rumor about a "scheduled" delivery was right !

I kind of knew all along that Stephanie was carrying a boy. All that blue. The way she was glowing.

Anyway...I could not be happier for this discreet, classy, rather old fashioned young couple. They have a son and heir after such a long wait.

Congrats to the Grand Duchy and the House of Lannoy!!::flowers:?

I am so so happy for them. I truly think no other royal baby has ever made me so happy. Stephanie's pregnancy was by far the best royal news of 2019 and the birth of her baby boy, during this awful times we're getting through, is a new wave of hope.

Welcome to the world, prince Charles! I can't wait to get tons of pictures of him growing up.

And all the the congrats and best wishes to Guillaume and Stephanie. They at least have plenty of calmed down, alone moments to spend together with their newborn.

Wow...someone posted on Twitter on Wednesday that we would be hearing news from Luxembourg before Monday. Then the post came down. So the rumor about a "scheduled" delivery was right !

I kind of knew all along that Stephanie was carrying a boy. All that blue. The way she was glowing.

Anyway...I could not be happier for this discreet, classy, rather old fashioned young couple. They have a son and heir after such a long wait.

oh, so it was a scheduled delivery then!

lovely videos of guillaume sharing his feelings after the birth. he looks like he spent the night in the hospital ;) and looks understandably tired but so joyous!

charles looks adorable. can't wait to see more pictures!

The royal families of Europe will now have an equal number of male and female monarchs within the prince's generation:

1. Joseph Wenzel of Liechtenstein (b. 1995)
2. Christian of Denmark (b. 2005)
3. George of Britain (b. 2013)
4. Jacques of Monaco (b. 2014)
5. Charles of Luxembourg (b. 2020)

1. Elisabeth of Belgium (b. 2001)
2. Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands (b. 2003)
3. Ingrid Alexandra of Norway (b. 2004)
4. Leonor of Spain (b. 2005)
5. Estelle of Sweden (b. 2012)

Well, well, well...Josef-Wenzel could be little Charles' father, in fact.?;)
And Elisabeth - his mother.?;)

Was it really a "scheduled" delivery ? I read the baby was born by c-section but a c-section at 5 PM sounds like an emergency one. Maybe the birth was scheduled to be induced today if the baby didn't come naturally.

From the small glimpse we got, little Charles looks like a good size baby with his mother's coloring.

I was not expecting that name but I absolutely love it...it's perfect and covers all the bases.;)

Congrats to the couple!

I noticed that in the Instagram text they call the little prince 'Charel' instead of Charles; would that be the way his name is spelled in Luxembourgisch?

Mat vill Emotioun huet den Ierfgroussherzog Guillaume de Moien, just e puer Stonne no der Gebuert vu sengem Fils, dem Prënz Charel, e kuerze Message virun der Kamera ginn. ⠀

Wonderful news to wake up to today. Congratulations to the HGD couple and their family members.

Well, well, well...Josef-Wenzel could be little Charles' father, in fact.?;)
And Elisabeth - his mother.?;)

True, but Joseph Wenzel is 13 years younger than the next-youngest heir to a European throne (the Duke of Cambridge, born 1982) while being merely 6 years older than the next-oldest (Princess Elisabeth of Belgium, born 2001). Charles is a mere 5 years younger than the next-youngest (Hereditary Prince Jacques of Monaco, born 2014) and the age gap between him and the next-oldest European heir after him will likely be larger than that (considering the ages at which most recent European crown princes and princesses married).

So in continental terms it makes the most sense to view both Joseph Wenzel and Charles as members of the generation of monarchs to whom they are closest in age, instead of the previous or next ones.

Was it really a "scheduled" delivery ? I read the baby was born by c-section but a c-section at 5 PM sounds like an emergency one. Maybe the birth was scheduled to be induced today if the baby didn't come naturally.

I agree a 5 AM C-section on a Sunday surely wasn't scheduled for that day and time in advance.

Glad all seems to be well with mother and child.

A very traditional Luxembourg royal name indeed!

In addition to Grand Duchess Charlotte, Charles is the name of no less than four other historical monarchs of Luxembourg. The first was the future Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV who reigned as Count of Luxembourg from 1346 until 1353, and the latest was Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI who reigned as Duke of Luxembourg from 1713 until 1740.

So just as with Jean (who was named for Jean "the Blind", Count of Luxembourg) and Henri (whose name derives from many medieval Counts of Luxembourg), the Nassaus have yet again rekindled a name from the old dynasties that reigned over Luxembourg.

They have also upheld the Nassau family tradition of including "Guillaume" (or "Wilhelmine" for girls) and "Marie" in the names of princes(ses) in the direct line.

Is "Joseph" included to honor Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte?

"Joseph" is part of Prince Guillaume's full name - Guillaume Jean Joseph Marie. I believe Gui was given the name Joseph in honor of his maternal grandfather "Jose" Antonio Mestre. I suppose it also could have been a nod to JC. Note that all four of Guillaume's names were passed on to his son, Prince Charles.

Baby Prince Charles is 7 lbs and 19 ounces...not too big and not too small. Perfect!

I have read that church bells are ringing all over the Grand Duchy, which must be a magical sound!:flowers:

From the small glimpse we got, little Charles looks like a good size baby with his mother's coloring.

I was not expecting that name but I absolutely love it...it's perfect and covers all the bases.;)

Baby Charles weighed 3,190 kg (7 lbs. 1 oz.) and was 50 cm (19.7 in) at birth.

Last edited:
Wonderfull news!!Congratulations and a long,happy and healthy life!

Back
Top Bottom