Appropriate Age to Wear Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubyPrincess168

Royal Highness
City
Sun Prairie
Country
United States
What is the appropraite age for a born-princess to begin wearing jewelry? 18? Are some jewels, like coral or pearls, appropriate for younger princesses? I know QE2 (or was it Princess Anne?) wore coral beads as a little girl.

I know that generally a woman should not wear a tiara until she is married. Sarah Ferguson kept to this tradition when she married Prince Andrew, going into the church wearing flowers in her hair and coming out with a diamond tiara. The princesses of Sweden started wearing tiaras when they turned eighteen. Most modern princesses (even the young ones) have been seen with modest pieces made of gold and tiny jewels.

I was wondering about the eventual coronation of Charles and Camilla. Will the younger princesses wear tiaras and other finery? Although not usually acceptable, is a grand affair like a coronation grounds for eschewing the normal rules?

For some reason, I think that when the girl turns 16, "simple" & "small" jewels like a single strand of pearls w/matching earrings and a bracelet are age acceptable. But it also depends on the maturity of the girl. For a born princess, I think she would have the maturity. For the every day common girl, maybe not so.
But then again, I think 18 is a good age to start wearing simple jewels. Princess or not.

kimebear said:
I know that generally a woman should not wear a tiara until she is married. Sarah Ferguson kept to this tradition when she married Prince Andrew, going into the church wearing flowers in her hair and coming out with a diamond tiara. The princesses of Sweden started wearing tiaras when they turned eighteen. Most modern princesses (even the young ones) have been seen with modest pieces made of gold and tiny jewels.

I was wondering about the eventual coronation of Charles and Camilla. Will the younger princesses wear tiaras and other finery? Although not usually acceptable, is a grand affair like a coronation grounds for eschewing the normal rules?

Sarah wore the tiara already when she entered the Church but the Flowers covered it. In some pictures you can see the tiara.

I'm thinking that 18 would be the appropiate age to start wearing (small) tiaras and other family jewels...isn't that when they start to attend galas and stuff like that? Where could we find the answer to this question??

Stefan said:
Sarah wore the tiara already when she entered the Church but the Flowers covered it. In some pictures you can see the tiara.

Really? Well, I suppose doing it in that fashion simplified the process. I still think it was in keeping with the tradition, or else, why bother covering it with the flowers?

I think maybe only small jewelled hair ornaments (very small, not at all tiara like) would be acceptable at an event like a coronation or enthroning for girls under 18. I do agree that nothing flashy should be worn until the girls are attending large events in an official capacity.

Princess Madeleine was just under 18 for her father's 50th birthday and she wore really simple jewelry. It suited her age perfectly, just a pearl necklace and small earrings with no tiara. I think princesses by birth generally get small tiaras at the age of 18 and a couple months later are given a bigger tiara for grander occasions. A princess by marriage most likely wears a tiara on her wedding day or right before her wedding like Maxima and Mary.

I think it also depends on the royal family. Beatrix was extemely generous with Maxima before the wedding. I think Maxima had the most access to jewels prior to her marriage than any other recent princess. She also seems to have the most access now too.

I heard/read that in the 19th century and on the beginning of the 20th century royal/aristocratic young woman went on their first ball at the age of 16.
Maybe it was their first time when they officially wore dynastic jewelry?

I think the age of 18 is good to begin wearing serious, dynastic jewelry for todays royal girls.:)

I have a question: from what age can be used a tiara?

Thanks in advance :flowers:

...JuAnItA... said:
I have a question: from what age can be used a tiara?

Thanks in advance :flowers:

The standard age seems to be 18. I know all the Scandinavian countries with royalty (Denmark, Norway, and Sweden), princesses are given their first tiara at 18. It's usually small; Martha Louise, Victoria, and Madeleine all had pretty tiny tiaras as their first (Victoria's was by far the worst! It can't even be called a tiara). They usually get an upgrade within the year. Probably depends upon the country but 18 seems to be the age in most countries.

Last edited:
I would agree with 18 years and up.

I have to say though that Crown Princess Victoria's first tiara was undeniably horrible in every way. Its such an unattractive piece.

IMO I think that 18 is an appropriate to give jewelry to young women. I remember getting my first real strand of pearls when I was 18 and I love them to death, I think something that special you always remember. I think since royal women are of age and probably will start doing officail functions I think it would be appropriate to give them jewelry specifically a tiara;) , I personally love how the swedish royals did their's. They started with small tiaras for their 18th birthday and slowly worked up to bigger sophisticated tiaras.:)

HRHAmy said:
IMO I think that 18 is an appropriate to give jewelry to young women. I remember getting my first real strand of pearls when I was 18 and I love them to death, I think something that special you always remember. I think since royal women are of age and probably will start doing officail functions I think it would be appropriate to give them jewelry specifically a tiara;) , I personally love how the swedish royals did their's. They started with small tiaras for their 18th birthday and slowly worked up to bigger sophisticated tiaras.:)

I agree that the Swedish Royal Family did well with the tiaras for their two princesses. Although, for a Crown Princess, Victoria got kind of shafted in her first two tiaras. The first one can't even be called a tiara and then she received the Four Buttons! It's a relief that the Baden Fringe wasn't too far behind :lol: . Madeleine got a better deal. First, the aquamarine tiara (small but better than Victoria's) and then the gorgeous Fringe tiara. She's used the Six Buttons twice but I don't think she's going to use it very often.

As the only daughter of the King of Norway, Martha Louise's tiara collection is surprising. I've only seen her use three tiaras and two of those she only used once. The tiara that she always uses is tiny and unfortunate. The tiara she wore at her wedding was beautiful and I wish Sonja would let her use it when Martha Louise participates in galas and such. I've seen her wear a bandeau tiara (?) once when she was young and that's it.

How did the Spanish Infantas receive their first tiaras?

I agree that a Princess' first tiara should be smaller in size but that is no excuse for ugliness :lol:

Question -- 'Back in the day' didn't the young lady get her first real pearl necklace at her official Sweet 16 party?

Madeleine got a better deal. First, the aquamarine tiara (small but better than Victoria's)

That aquamarine item is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. You could buy something prettier in the dress up department of a toy store!

wymanda said:
That aquamarine item is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. You could buy something prettier in the dress up department of a toy store!

I agree that it's not the prettiest thing in the world but it beats Victoria's first tiara! It can't even be considered a tiara, everything about it is just plain awful and it was made for the future Queen of Sweden!

soCal girl said:
As the only daughter of the King of Norway, Martha Louise's tiara collection is surprising. I've only seen her use three tiaras and two of those she only used once. The tiara that she always uses is tiny and unfortunate. The tiara she wore at her wedding was beautiful and I wish Sonja would let her use it when Martha Louise participates in galas and such. I've seen her wear a bandeau tiara (?) once when she was young and that's it.
I thought when Martha Louise married she lost her HRH status, would that be why she doesn't wear a tiara at events anymore? Does only someone styled HRH get to wear a tiara at events in Norway? I'm not sure that's why I'm asking but that would be my guess. Yes, Socal girl I agree with you that Sonja could have let Martha Louise borrow more substantial tiaras when she was still a princess.

And I agree with you guys that Madeliene's aquamarine tiara is not very pretty, it looks like something that a Star Trek princess would wear. And I agree that victoria's first tiara shouldn't even be called a tiara or even since you can't see the stones that are on it. But this is conversation that's already been covered in the Worst Royal Jewels thread so I will stay on topic here.:flowers:

HRHAmy said:
I thought when Martha Louise married she lost her HRH status, would that be why she doesn't wear a tiara at events anymore? Does only someone styled HRH get to wear a tiara at events in Norway? I'm not sure that's why I'm asking but that would be my guess. Yes, Socal girl I agree with you that Sonja could have let Martha Louise borrow more substantial tiaras when she was still a princess.

And I agree with you guys that Madeliene's aquamarine tiara is not very pretty, it looks like something that a Star Trek princess would wear. And I agree that victoria's first tiara shouldn't even be called a tiara or even since you can't see the stones that are on it. But this is conversation that's already been covered in the Worst Royal Jewels thread so I will stay on topic here.:flowers:
No both Princess Ragnhild and Princess Astrid lost their HRH at their respective marriages and they wear tiaras when attending State Bandquets or Balls as dos Princess Märtha Louise when she attends a State Banquet or other occasion when tiaras are worn.

This is an interesting conversation, does anyone have pictures of the Tiara's that are being discussed?

As Stefan said, Martha Louise still wears a tiara when the occasion calls for it. She still participates in galas for State Visits and attends weddings of her royal counter-parts. Even though she lost her HRH, she's still the only daughter of the King of Norway! You would think she would have a little more choice. The only tiara she seems to wear now is the one that she received for her 18th birthday. Even when she had her HRH, she wasn't given much choice. She's worn another small tiara on one occasion that I can't even remember and then she wore the pearl and diamond tiara for her wedding. Maybe she didn't want to wear grander tiaras but I just think it's strange that after her first tiara there wasn't much follow-up.

Does anyone know Infantas Elena and Cristina's first tiaras and what age they received them at?

Last edited:
soCal girl said:
As Stefan said, Martha Louise still wears a tiara when the occasion calls for it. She still participates in galas for State Visits and attends weddings of her royal counter-parts. Even though she lost her HRH, she's still the only daughter of the King of Norway! You would think she would have a little more choice. The only tiara she seems to wear now is the one that she received for her 18th birthday. Even when she had her HRH, she wasn't given much choice. She's worn another small tiara on one occasion that I can't even remember and then she wore the pearl and diamond tiara for her wedding. Maybe she didn't want to wear grander tiaras but I just think it's strange that after her first tiara there wasn't much follow-up.

Does anyone know Infantas Elena and Cristina's first tiaras and what age they received them at?

The Infantas Elena and cristina started attending State Banquets and wearing Tiaras when the turned 18 respetivly. They have worn either the floral Tiara or the prussian diamond Tiara, but since her Wedding Elena wears only the Marichalar Tiara which she recieved as a wedding gift from the Family of her husband. As for Cristina i think she owns no Tiara and wears the two metioned above from the collection of her mother.

Stefan said:
The Infantas Elena and cristina started attending State Banquets and wearing Tiaras when the turned 18 respetivly. They have worn either the floral Tiara or the prussian diamond Tiara, but since her Wedding Elena wears only the Marichalar Tiara which she recieved as a wedding gift from the Family of her husband. As for Cristina i think she owns no Tiara and wears the two metioned above from the collection of her mother.

Thanks for the info, Stefan. That's not much is it? Letizia has worn only the Prussian tiara and the floral tiara also. I would think Elena and Cristina would have had more options than those two tiaras. Looks like in Spain, 18 is also the golden number.

Does anybody know when Queen Beatrix wore her first tiara?

soCal girl said:
Thanks for the info, Stefan. That's not much is it? Letizia has worn only the Prussian tiara and the floral tiara also. I would think Elena and Cristina would have had more options than those two tiaras. Looks like in Spain, 18 is also the golden number.

Yes but the spanish Royal Family has not so many smaller tiaras. Elena wore one time a circle tiara for the Wedding Gala of Friedrich of Württemberg but it is not clear who owns this tiara. And the Shell Tiara i a favorit of the Queen and so probalby out of the question. But why not he Ruby Necklace/Tiara .

There was a ball on her 18. birthday and probably this was the first time she wore a tiara. For photos you have probably to ask on the Benelux or Glittering Royals Board.

I can expand on this a little bit, for Queen Elizabeth coronation Princess Margaret wore a small tiara she was not married at the time.

http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/coronation/coronation1.html (picture 5)

Princess Alexandra of Kent who was 16 at the time did not (well according to this picture)

http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/coronation/coronation6.html (picture 5)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the links!

You can wear a diademe as well

In this thread I see guesses about being and HRH or having lost the HRH and so on. Fact is that you do not need to be royal or noble at all to wear a diademe, which is in essence just a hair ornament.

That you only see noble and royal ladies wearing diademes only has to do with the fact that it often are heirloom family jewelry and that these ladies still do know occasions which enable them to 'pack out' with glitz and glam.

Note that Queen Beatrix' grandmother (Queen Wilhelmina) received her first diademe as a birthday-present from her father. She received the so-called triangular motif diamond diademe at the age of.... nine (!).

1956 State Visit from Luxembourg

soCal girl said:

The first diademe Queen Beatrix wore was during a concert in the Concertgebouw Amsterdam, given in honour of the Grand-Duchess of Luxembourg, Duchess of Nassau.

It was the so-called diamond Laurel Wreath Diademe from her far ancestor Louise Duchess of Braunschweig-Wolffenbüttel born Princess of Orange-Nassau (1770-1819). (Sister of King Willem I of the Netherlands).

See the link for the picture: http://racer.kb.nl/gvn-mod/resolver.pl?urn=KONB05%3AKONB05_53A27-10-P029-3%3AKONB05_53A27-10-P029-3_V

Gistening Seas

:) hello everyone imho wouldn't it be better to receive one piece of jewelry per year at every age of life so that when the person is 18 they have somewhat of a collection no matter how young they are:question: any opInIons on this

Back
Top Bottom