Birth of Princess Alexandra and Nicolas Bagory first child: Victoire

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats to parents and grandparents!

Welcome to the world, Victoire Bagory!

OK, this is probably just a hypothetical question: How do we know, what the surname of Victoire (congratulations to the parents) really is?

If they have in Luxembourg laws about family and surnames like in Germany, everything would be possible... And Victoire was born in France? Then she should have been registered there - under the laws of the French Republic, which I do not know too. But I mean to remember from the Monaco threads, that in the French Republic Victoire's surname could be very well Luxembourg or Nassau or whatever, but not necessarily the surname of her father.

And, as the user Somebody pointed out, the toddler is in the line for the Throne...

A newborn baby inherits the surname after its father, and Niciolas Bagory in not titled.

Hein Bruins on his Genealogical page already listed her as Victoire Bagory.

OK, this is probably just a hypothetical question: How do we know, what the surname of Victoire (congratulations to the parents) really is?

If they have in Luxembourg laws about family and surnames like in Germany, everything would be possible... And Victoire was born in France? Then she should have been registered there - under the laws of the French Republic, which I do not know too. But I mean to remember from the Monaco threads, that in the French Republic Victoire's surname could be very well Luxembourg or Nassau or whatever, but not necessarily the surname of her father.

And, as the user Somebody pointed out, the toddler is in the line for the Throne...
Based on the Nassau Family Pact which specifies that children of female members of the grand ducal family carry their father's surname.

FYI: Luxembourg is not a surname. The family's surname is 'de Nassau' - but as pointed out above cannot be passed on in female line (unless the female member is the reigning grand duchess or heir apparent).

See for example explanation by Luxarzzi: FAQ.

Congratulations to the Happy Parents and what a beautiful name Victoire!

Victoire Bagory is 9th and the first non-royal in Luxembourg's line of succession.

The top-10 is currently fully occupied by Henri's descendants:
1. Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg (1981; eldest son of Henri)
2. Prince Charles of Luxembourg (2020; eldest son of 1)
3. Prince Francois of Luxembourg (2023; second/youngest son of 1)
4. Prince Felix of Luxembourg (1984; second son of Henri)
5. Princess Amalia of Nassau (2014; daughter of 4)
6. Prince Liam of Nassau (2016; eldest son of 4)
7. Prince Balthasar of Nassau (2024; second/youngest son of 4)
8. Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg (1991; daughter of Henri)
9. Victoire Bagory (2024; daughter of 8)
10. Prince Sebastien of Luxembourg (1992; fourth/youngest son of Henri)

I would be interested to learn your reasoning for believing that Louis and his children remain excluded from the throne following the Luxembourg constitutional revision of 2022, though that discussion should probably take place in the Succession and Titles thread, where the constitutional changes were previously discussed.

It is possible Victoire is the first untitled person in line to the throne (assuming the marriage of Princess Charlotte and Mark Cunningham was not approved by Grand Duke Jean) but she is not the first non-royal, since the children of Princess Marie-Astrid are almost certainly in line to the throne. This can be inferred from the transitional provision in the 2012 revision of the family statute of 1907 (which I can explain if anyone is interested).

Not first as in the first time in history or currently a non-titled person has been in line of succcession.

But as in the most senior non-titled/royal person in line of succession. First as in ranked.

Any thoughts on when we might expect the first pictures of baby Victoire?

Either when she is baptized, or during the GD family's annual summer holiday photos...whichever happens first.

I very much doubt that the very private Princess Alexandra will release any formal photos of her infant like her brothers did.

Back
Top Bottom