British Royal Family Current Events 11: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, so moderators please move if necessary.)

News regarding senior military roles.

The Queen Consort has taken over disgraced Prince Andrew’s role as Colonel of the Grenadier Guards in a shake-up of senior royal military positions.
The shuffle will also see the Princess of Wales promoted to her first Army role, taking over as colonel of the Irish Guards from her husband.
The Prince of Wales will become colonel of the Welsh Guards instead.
Buckingham Palace announced the changes ahead of next year’s Trooping the Colour, which has marked the official birthday of the British Sovereign for more than 250 years.

(Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, so moderators please move if necessary.)

News regarding senior military roles.

Would this mean the ladies need to ride?
Why none for Edward? After the DoE rumour and now this? Does the king want to sideline him?

Last edited:
Why none for Edward? After the DoE rumour and now this? Does the king want to sideline him?

They are small changes and Kate to the Irish Guards makes sense as she always goes to the St Patrick’s Days event and has been heavily involved with them.

No, they wouldn't need to ride horseback. I don't believe Camila rides that much anymore and the full ceremony on horseback would be very fatiguing for her. Catherine probably wouldn't be comfortable on horseback. The Duke of Kent (Scots Guards) had been in the carriage procession like his cousin Elizabeth for a few years now.

I could see Edward taking on the Scots Guards role in the future though.

They are small changes and Kate to the Irish Guards makes sense as she always goes to the St Patrick’s Days event and has been heavily involved with them.

Yes, agreed- she’s been going to their yearly St. Patrick’s Day event since she was first married and I bet that change has been very long planned, knowing William would eventually take over the Welsh Guards. Really lovely example of long term succession planning.

I remember when she was criticised for not going to the annual event and she made it clear that she had no intention of going every year. Hopefully she will now attend annually but she certainly has missed years in the past.

She only missed one year, 2016, aside from the pandemic-related years where restrictions made it impossible. We have no idea what was going on that year, but we can assume it was for a good reason.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...t-patricks-day-shamrocks-irish-guards-photos/

Edward is already entitled to wear a scarlet uniform like we could see At Trooping the Colour this year, as Royal Honorary Colonel of the London Guards, an Army reserve unit that provides soliders for the 5 footguard regiments.

He was not on horseback but that was likely his own choice.

I would guess he’s actual to become Colonel of the Scots Guards in the future when the Duke of Kent dies or retires… Especially if he becomes Duke of Edinburgh.

These seem like logical choices given the current make up of the working royals and their affiliations.

Hopefully Edward will get Scots Guards in the future.

Edward only takes on military roles where the corps is made up on volunteers. This is what was agreed with QE and DOE - and that took a lot of discussion. The Princess Royal and Sophie are trying to get him to agree to other military roles - maybe bands ect. But he is very reluctant - and I think the family are given him time and space to figure it out. There have been a number of military groups, charities and patronages that have approached him - BP (and Edward) are currently the ones rejecting them.

I think the same is happening with regards to other duties. Edward has pretty much withdrawn. The death of the Queen has hit him hard. I think the decision to pull the DOE must have hurt - although it was not unexpected. His office is continuing on the plans they had for the last 10 years - no change so Harry leaving have had no effect there.
It is very possible that this is the role that Edward wants and is choosing for himself.

Edward only takes on military roles where the corps is made up on volunteers. This is what was agreed with QE and DOE - and that took a lot of discussion. The Princess Royal and Sophie are trying to get him to agree to other military roles - maybe bands ect. But he is very reluctant - and I think the family are given him time and space to figure it out. There have been a number of military groups, charities and patronages that have approached him - BP (and Edward) are currently the ones rejecting them.

I think the same is happening with regards to other duties. Edward has pretty much withdrawn. The death of the Queen has hit him hard. I think the decision to pull the DOE must have hurt - although it was not unexpected. His office is continuing on the plans they had for the last 10 years - no change so Harry leaving have had no effect there.
It is very possible that this is the role that Edward wants and is choosing for himself.

The British military is all made up of volunteers. Britain doesn't have conscription.

If you mean 'part-timers' again - incorrect. Edward has a number of military roles with regular as well as part-timers e.g. he is the honorary colonel of the 2nd Battalion of the Rifles. He is also Honorary Air Commodore, Royal Air Force Waddington which is the base where the Red Arrows are based - hardly a bunch of part-timers at that base.

Edward has far from 'withdrawn'. Since his mother died he has carried out just short of 100 engagements. Sophie, in the same time has done about 110. Anne has done just under 200 and those three have been the busiest other than the King who is over 200. William, for comparison has done 76 since the late Queen died while Camilla has done 80.

Edward has been for most of the past two decades one of the three or four busiest royals and this year is no different. He will probably end 4th, about 10 behind Sophie but well ahead of the next group who will be William on about 220, about 100 behind Edward, Camilla on 228 and The Duke of Gloucester on close to 200.

My final figures for the year will go up about the 1st January but I don't expect too many, if any changes, from those I put earlier this week. Edward has also carried out engagements on more days that anyone other than Charles and Anne.

King Charles and Princess Anne attended Sunday church service in Sandringham today, January 29:

** dm article **

I wonder if the family will attend the traditional Easter service at St George's?

In the past, C&C were usually up at Birkhall, whilst quite a lot of the family were usually at St George's.

King Charles and the Prince of Wales posed for a photo in the gardens of Sandringham House while planting a tree to mark the end of The Queen's Green Canopy initiative. The photo was released today, April 2, but was already taken in March:

Here's a video of the King and the Prince of Wales

The Duchess of Edinburgh and the Duke of York were seen on the grounds of Windsor yesterday, April 8:

** dm article **

The family at Windsor for Easter Sunday

Anyone else get the impression Charles, Camilla and the Wales had just came from pics to be taken or were on their way to it.

Anyone else get the impression Charles, Camilla and the Wales had just came from pics to be taken or were on their way to it.

Oh I tought exactly the same :lol:Maybe some family photo will be released!

Peter goes solo, maybe the girls spend this Sunday with their Mum.

Does anyone spot Louise? I only see James with his parents.

Anyone else notice that both Camilla and Catherine are wearing blue -- thereby, once again, contradicting Meghan's remarks that family members cannot wear the same color. :)

I was surprised to see the Duke of York. I thought it was agreed that he would no longer appear at such events.

Back
Top Bottom