British Royal Family Current Events 6: April-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And there we have it. I kind of figured that somewhere, somehow, someone would get a picture of the Cambridges in all their finery. They both looked fantastic and I think the Papyrus tiara suits Kate very well. They look every inch the Royal Duke and Duchess they are and I'm sure The Queen was very proud to have them at the reception.

I just hope that Kate never has the misfortune to wear those earrings around George. One beam of light and its "OH! Sparklies!" and a good yank will do quite a bit of damage to an ear lobe. That's a lesson I learned early with my firstborn. ;)

No family order yet. Christmas present perhaps?

I really don't expect Kate to be given the family order for quite a while yet. Perhaps after a couple of years actively working as a full time working royal. From what I've heard and read, The Queen takes giving out her Orders very seriously and never just on a whim.

Why they do not release any pic? It is an official event.

The British Royals don't always release pictures of inside the palace even if it was an official event.

I'd love to see a full view of Kate.

The British Royals don't always release pictures of inside the palace even if it was an official event.

I'd love to see a full view of Kate.

Thanks
So it is the "inside" that hurts?

I would love to see her full dress. By the way, how could the royal watchers understand just by a single pic (1/4 of her "thorax") of her that her dress is Alexander Mc Queen?? Astonishing!

. By the way, how could the royal watchers understand just by a single pic (1/4 of her "thorax") of her that her dress is Alexander Mc Queen?? Astonishing!

Either McQueen designer identified it for them, or someone went trawling through his collection to find a similar or matching picture.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a BRF event so is being discussed in the BRF thread.

Either McQueen designer identified it for them, or someone went trawling through his collection to find a similar or matching picture.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a BRF event so is being discussed in the BRF thread.

There was also a mention somewhere that this bespoke McQueen gown was possibly slated to be worn by Kate last year at the Winter White Gala. Because of her pregnancy and being so sick, she did not attend.

Perhaps there was a blip released back then before the event with details of the dress that had a gag order on it. She never went, they didn't talk about the dress so perhaps this was the occasion to use it.

Being an optimist, I am inclined to think we will get either a short video or a picture at some point soon. My optimism extends to extra pics of the Christening in the Queen's Christmas broadcast - perhaps we'll get both together as a Christmas present from Her Majesty :lol:

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 3h
The Court Circular records that the Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William and Kate were there. Sophie's not mentioned.

It's good to know only the key players of the "Firm" attended this event. I think they are the main ones that should be attending official events like this.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/CourtCircular/Todaysevents.aspx

Last edited:

I think she looks nice for what we can see. I am appalled by the comments section associated with this article. I dont get it. She looks bad, she doesn't deserve to be a princess etc. This all seems to have intensified since she had the baby.

Why build someone up just to tear them down. And I know she's a public figure and this comes with the territory but a young post partum mother can get very easily stressed out and depressed with the day to day of a new baby. She doesn't need needlessly ugly comments.

Its the Daily Mail, so I have found its best just to look at the pictures. They have some of the unhappiest people in the world it seems. And I am not saying that because I only want to hear good things about Kate but they don't seem to like anyone. Rich or poor...a good portion of their readers don't like anyone.

I agree, it's best to just look at the pictures on the DM website. The comments is just too much for me.

I have just been looking at the section of latest royal images on the official Royal Monarchy website and it surprises me how something as significant and distinctive as the diplomatic reception isn't included whereas there are pics of William playing basketball, Charles at a Christmas tree festival and Princess Anne at the Hennessey Gold cup - to name just three events in the last couple of days. I think these more everyday events should be included, but how can a reception at BP with most of the senior Royals in attendance go apparently unrecorded other than in a circular? I assume there were some official pics taken, but why would they be deemed unnecessary for the public to gain glimpse of? I don't follow the argument that goes "well that's how it's always been", because there's plenty of examples of protocol being relaxed e.g. new aspects of the State Opening of Parliament being photographed and televised. This is the one aspect of the "spending tax payers' money" argument I find myself in agreement with -i.e. shouldn't the public see something of these majestic (and costly) occasions?

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 3h
The Court Circular records that the Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William and Kate were there. Sophie's not mentioned.

It's good to know only the key players of the "Firm" attended this event. I think they are the main ones that should be attending official events like this.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/CourtCircular/Todaysevents.aspx

Why on earth has Richard Palmer tweeted that Sophie wasn't there...we all know she wasn't. Only the "big guns" of the Firm were there.

I have just been looking at the section of latest royal images on the official Royal Monarchy website and it surprises me how something as significant and distinctive as the diplomatic reception isn't included whereas there are pics of William playing basketball, Charles at a Christmas tree festival and Princess Anne at the Hennessey Gold cup - to name just three events in the last couple of days. I think these more everyday events should be included, but how can a reception at BP with most of the senior Royals in attendance go apparently unrecorded other than in a circular? I assume there were some official pics taken, but why would they be deemed unnecessary for the public to gain glimpse of? I don't follow the argument that goes "well that's how it's always been", because there's plenty of examples of protocol being relaxed e.g. new aspects of the State Opening of Parliament being photographed and televised. This is the one aspect of the "spending tax payers' money" argument I find myself in agreement with -i.e. shouldn't the public see something of these majestic (and costly) occasions?

I happen to think the British royals and palace officials are bullied by the media and public opinion. It seem to be okay for the other European royals (Swedish, Danish, Spanish, Norwegian and so on) to attend regal events in tiara's and royal Orders and share some of it with the media and public but not for the British royals.

It seems like events like the Reception for the Royal Diplomatic Corps used to be pictured and even some videos shown but I think at some point I the late 90's things started to change.

It's a funny and tricky situation but I hope Charles will help bring back that regal glamour the royals once had and share some of that with us. I think one of the main ways to pull it off is to slim down the Monarchy and just have the focus on him, Camilla, William & Catherine and Harry and his future wife.

Why on earth has Richard Palmer tweeted that Sophie wasn't there...we all know she wasn't. Only the "big guns" of the Firm were there.

I think Richard Palmer was responding to a tweet asking if Sophie attended.

Last edited:
That's interesting Dman, I can see your point here. So sad for those of us who want to share in and celebrate our monarchy. The trouble is that it results in having to rely on the Daily Mail - surely not the best of sources or one that has any interest in providing a meaningful context for events such as these.

I think this even should be photographed. To be seen is to be believed and all that. ;)

I think this evening should be photographed. To be seen is to be believed and all that. ;)

Absolutely right...

I think this even should be photographed. To be seen is to be believed and all that. ;)

It's a private event invitation only by The Queen, it's not a state visit, it is not a banquet or gala. It is a thank you dinner. I can't imagine most of us would appreciate a photographer sticking their nose in our living rooms if we hosted such an event. :whistling::whistling:

So many posters full of indignation because it wasn't photographed. Well no one on this forum even noted the event last year (by the way just HMQ,DoE,PoW and DoC) and complained about lack of pictures. Admittedly, I only looked either side of the date.

Lumutqueen is right - it is a private event, hosted by HMQ and she sets the rules. You've all managed without pix in the past and it seems that will continue.

Now that's what I have a problem with. An official photograph is not a photographer " sticking their nose in" - it's a measured response for an event that is of public interest because the Diplomatic service/ the British Royal Family are part of the British Establishment which people have a right to be interested in. A private event invitation is fine, we don't need to watch them eat, but equally it's reasonable to request a photographic record of the occasion without being accused of any invasion of privacy.

(Perhaps people haven't been interested before because they didn't know of this annual event)

Last edited:
(Perhaps people haven't been interested before because they didn't know of this annual event)

This is likely to be the reason for lack of interest in previous years..

I realise this is the Queens decision, but feel she may be 'missing a trick', and hope that in the next reign things might be different.

Everyone knows this event takes place every year. The veteran royal reporters and correspondents knows this event takes place every year. Probably not the younger royal watchers but I've known about it for a very long time. It's just that very little to nothing is said about it. I have always thought this event should be at least photographed. No one is saying that there should be a photographer there throughout the entire reception but I think the royals should be pictured making that grand entrance with the fanfare and making those first greetings.

We got a picture of William & Catherine arriving at the reception but we didn't catch Charles & Camilla arriving.

There are many many receptions held at BP for a range of reasons and most of them aren't photographed or even reported on. This event has been in the CC every year with no photos. I don't see the problem at all and see no reason for the tradition to change just because the European royals insist on sharing all these events with the public while the BRF are more low key.

Because there are so few tiara wearing occasions nowadays, I personally find this event has taken on more interest in recent years. I hadn't realised until fairly recently how large this event is. From what limited knowledge I have I understand that it is more significant than many receptions that take place during the year.

I agree with everyone who´s disappointed that there are no real images of the occasion. But I didn´t really expect it as this has never been the habit. And there might be reasons why it is not done we do not know. I remember only two cases during the queen´s reign it had been filmed: The 1st one was for a documentary in the 1970s (can be watched somewhere on you tube) - I think it was at the time for HM´s Silver jubilee...?
The second case was for a documentary for the Queen´s 80th birthday (Camilla wore a smaller tiara than usual I didn´t know).
So, the palace won´t change this practice only because a young duchess appeared on the scene! It´s kind of sorry, but that´s the way it is.
I also wonder why, oh why, the Cambridges didn´t attend the state banquet when South Koreas president was in London for a state visit! Prince William even had an official engagement as you might know later with the president. It´s kind of a missed chance for keen royal watchers....
Maybe they´re worried of Kate getting all the attention (which undoubtedly would be the case), everyone only talking about the Duchesse´s hairstyle, jewelry, dress etc. while things that really matter about a state visit, bileteral relations and economic exchange, would be totally unmentioned.
This is just a presumption.

Well it's at times like this I lived in Denmark!

It takes an event like this to realise just how "global" Catherine has become. The wedding, the birth of George, even the christening - its understandable.

But a half glimpsed picture of the 2nd tiara appearance was on the US websites within minutes of the pictures being live in the UK. Its across Europe, Asia etc.

There are marketing men crying in their beer saying "if only". ;)

I agree with everyone who´s disappointed that there are no real images of the occasion. But I didn´t really expect it as this has never been the habit. And there might be reasons why it is not done we do not know. I remember only two cases during the queen´s reign it had been filmed: The 1st one was for a documentary in the 1970s (can be watched somewhere on you tube) - I think it was at the time for HM´s Silver jubilee...?
The second case was for a documentary for the Queen´s 80th birthday (Camilla wore a smaller tiara than usual I didn´t know).
So, the palace won´t change this practice only because a young duchess appeared on the scene! It´s kind of sorry, but that´s the way it is.
I also wonder why, oh why, the Cambridges didn´t attend the state banquet when South Koreas president was in London for a state visit! Prince William even had an official engagement as you might know later with the president. It´s kind of a missed chance for keen royal watchers....
Maybe they´re worried of Kate getting all the attention (which undoubtedly would be the case), everyone only talking about the Duchesse´s hairstyle, jewelry, dress etc. while things that really matter about a state visit, bileteral relations and economic exchange, would be totally unmentioned.
This is just a presumption.

I'm hoping the Cambridge's will be able to attend the historic Irish State visit next April. Their attedence at the Royal Reception for the Diplomatic Corps is one of things that will prepare them for their future roles. I'm happy the royal couple are stepping up their game within the "Firm."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom