Catholic Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lady Bluffton said:
Is Princess Maxima still a practicing Catholic, but raising her kids as Protestants?

Yes, she is. In Bavaria this happens all the time, because Bavaria is very catholic, but there are people from nothern Germany(mainly protestant) here in Munich, so they marry and so: A Protestant parent raising catholic children and the other way round, that happened a lot in my family.
I don´t think it´s a problem though, and it´s good that Máxima was not forced to convert.

- Princesses Irene and Christina of The Netherlands
- The reigning houses of Liechtenstein and Monaco (Belgium, Luxembourg and Spain)
- The former reigning houses of Austria, Tuscany and Modena (Habsburg), France (Orleans, Napoleon, Bourbon), Brazil (Orleans-Braganca), Portugal (Braganca), Italy (Savoy, Savoy-Aosta), Parma (Bourbon-Parma), The Two Sicilies (Bourbon-Two-Sicilies, Hohenzollern (Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen), Wurttemberg (Wurttemberg), Bavaria (Wittelsbach), Saxony (Wettin).

- The mediatised houses of: Arenberg, Auersperg, Castell (partly), Colloredo u. Mansfeld, Croy, Esterhazy, Fugger, Furstenberg, Harrach, Hohenlohe (partly), Isenburg, Khevenmuller-Metsch, Konigsegg-Aulendorf, Kuefstein, Leyen, Looz & Corswarem, Lowenstein, Metternich, Neipperg, Oettingen (partly), Orsini & Rosenberg, Ortenburg (partly), Pappenheim, Quadt, Rechberg, Salm (partly), Sayn (partly), Schaesberg, Schonborn, Schonburg, Schwarzenberg, Thurn u. Taxis, Toerring (partly), Trauttmansdorff, Walbott von Bassenheim, Waldburg, Windisch-Graetz, Wurmbrand-Stuppach.

I don't know if Birgitta of Sweden (sister of the King) has converted, she is married to a catholic prince (of Hohenzollern). I believe the house of Saxe-Meiningen is catholic these days as well, although it was traditionally a protestant family.

The Royal Family of Württemberg was actually protoestant. When the old ducal line died out with the death of Duke Eberhard Ludwig in 1733 he was succeeded by his distant cousin Carl Alexander who had served at the Court at Vienna before and there converted to the catholic faith. He had 3 sons who all became Duke of Württemberg, Carl Eugen, Ludwig Eugen and Friedrich Eugen. Freidrich Eugen married a niece of Friedrich II of Prussia, Princess Friederike Sophie Dorothea of Brandenburg-Schwedt. According to the marriage contract their children where raised in the protestant faith. All the lines from their sons where protestant but the line descedning from their youngest son Alexander (who since the death of King Wilhelm II. is the only line) became catholic. Duke Alexander married Princess Marie of Orléans, daughter of King Louis Philippe I. of the French. Their son Duke Philipp was christened protoestant but after the early death of his mother raised cahtolic according to her last wish. He later married an Archduchess as died his oldest son and grandson. So this line became again cathlolic.

The Monaco Princely Family is catholic.
1.Prince Albert II of Monaco
2.Princess Caroline of Hanover/Monaco
3.Princess Stephanie of Monaco
4.The late Prince Rainier III of Monaco
5.The late Princess Grace of Monaco

Catholic Royalty:
Belgian Royal Family
Brazilian Royal Family
House of Orléans - pretenders to the French throne

The following Princes from Protestant houses married Catholic Princess. Can I assume that their children are now Catholic?
Margrave Maximillian of Baden and his brother Ludwig
Prince Ernst August of Hanover and his brother Ludwig.
Ducjess Margarete of Oldenburg
Duke Paul Wladimir of Oldenburg
Duke Johann of Oldenburg
Count Raimond of Erbach Furstenau
Prince Kraft, Furst zu Hohenlohe Langenburg
HP Ludwig Lowenstein Wertheim Freudenberg

I think the children of Duke Johann of Oldenburg are still protestants. That was actually the reason why the engagement between Duchess Tatjana of Oldenburg and Prince Jean of France was cancelled. I believe that Archduchess Eilika remained a Lutheran too by the way, after she married AD Georg (though her children are raised as catholics AFAIK).

I suppose the children of Duke Paul-Wladimir of Oldenburg are catholics indeed, considering they all have a Maria in their name, also the boys.

The childrens of Margrave Max and prince Ludwig of Baden are protestant. The daughter of Prince Ernst August and Princess caroline is also porotestant, don't know about the son of his brother Ludwig Rudolph.
Yes Archduchess Eilika is still protestant the even he had an oecumenic Wedding if i remember correct. I believe the branch of the Ortenburg-Family to which her mother belonged is protestant. Yes the children of Duke Pual and Duchess Pilar of Oldenburg are cathiolic, also Paul converted some time ago this is also said to be the reason that the are not HH's. The Hohenlohe-Langenbrug's are also still protestant.

Yet Princess Cecile of Henlohe Langenburg married a French couont (who is a descendant of King Leopold II of Belgium) who I assume is Catholic?
If Duchess If Duchess Elika of Oldenburg married a Habsburg and remained a Lutheran I wonder why the Orleans wouldn't accept her sister? It would have been a good marriage for Prince Jean. Still marring royalty and yet not one who is closely related to him. (Every one of his Paternal ancesters married a descendant of King Luois Phillippe)

I believe the late countess of Paris and several other family members were very much against the idea of having a protestant as wife of the heir.

I believe the late countess of Paris and several other family members were very much against the idea of having a protestant as wife of the heir.
That's interesting because it was good eneough King Louis Phillippe for his heir to marry a Protestant.

Do you mean Henry VIII? (You have to watch how many I:s you have in a Roman numeral.)

Sorry Yes Im reading about his son and watching The Tudors its difficult I Know he broke with Rome but wasnt it just a More English Catholic Church

Sorry Yes Im reading about his son and watching The Tudors its difficult I Know he broke with Rome but wasnt it just a More English Catholic Church

Not quite. He left the Catholic Church and kind of founded his own church, which became the Church of England and is also known as the Anglican Church.

The pope didn't allow Henry VIII to divorce his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, even though his mistress Anne Boleyn was pregnant with the future Elizabeth II, who Henry hoped would be a boy, so he wanted to marry her instead, so he could have a son as his heir. (Catherine of Aragon only had a daughter, the later queen Mary.) Henry VIII had obviously not liked the protestant reformation, which was tearing Europe apart at the time, and he had actually defended Catholicism before. But when the pope didn't grant him the divorce, he cut the ties with the Catholic church, and the church of England was founded. The church of England was supposed to appeal to both catholics and protestants. However, it just turned away both these groups for many years to come. I think it wasn't until after Oliver Cromwell's death, that England became religiously calm again.

Interesting So all Monarchs after him were R.C. Until James II Who was Catholic right?? lol and im a History Expert! any linksthat could explain more

Well, actually, different monarchs back then belonged to different churches. Henry VIII's daughter Mary was Catholic, because her mother, Catherine of Aragon, had raised her in that faith. So during her time on the thrown, Catholicism was pretty much reintroduced. But right after her death, her sister Elizabeth cut the ties with the Catholic church, because they considered her illegitimate, since they hadn't approved of her father's divorce from his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, so they couldn't consider his five later marriages legitimate. So she reintroduced their father's "bridge" church. And the religion of England pretty much changed with the monarch for years to come. But as far as I know, the current royal house of England, the Hannovers a k a the Windsors, have always been members of the church of England/the Anglican church. There's even an ancient rule saying a royal may not become Roman Catholic or marry a Roman Catholic, or they will lose their right to inherit the crown.

Last edited:
That's interesting because it was good eneough King Louis Phillippe for his heir to marry a Protestant.

Didn't they make her convert? I can't picture a Protestant Queen of Catholic France.

Me Either so would the Pope ever go to the next King of Spains enthronement??

Lord Nicholas Windsor is catholic and the House of Bourbon-Parma is catholic also.

I've heard that Princess Maxima is still Catholic, and I also heard that one of the wives of Prince Margriet's sons is Catholic as well, although I'm not sure which one. Does anybody else know?

I have heard that Maxima is still catholic as well.But I have not heard about Princess Margriet's sons being catholic.

It wasn't one of her sons, who was Catholic, but the wife of one of her sons, one of her daughters-in-law.

I did not notice any mention of Prince Albert II of Monaco. The Grimaldis are all Catholic and even Princess Stephanie said rather recently that she has deep respect for the Church. Monaco is also one of the few countries in which Catholicism is the official state religion of the country.

On the non-reigning side I think the former King Kigeli V of Rwanda is Catholic and the Vietnamese dynasty, of which Prince Bao Thang is the 'would-be emperor' are Catholic. The last Emperor's official wife was from a devout Catholic, raised the children in the Church after the Emperor abdicated in 45 and after her death the Emperor himself converted. I would assume that the 'would-be' Emperor of Mexico, Don Maximiliano Count von Goetzen-Iturbide is also Catholic but I have never heard for sure.
If anyone has not mentioned the Brazilian Imperial Family there are definitely Catholics as well.

Did Maxima have a permission from the Vatican to marry a protestant?. I was under the believe that Catholics married to protestants are supposed to raise their children into catholic faith

Permission from Vatican? I didn't know that she had to have a permission.

Back
Top Bottom