Charlene & Albert's Twins - Guess the Sex, Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A Prince or Princess for Monaco?

• A Boy

Votes: 41 28.9%
  • A Girl

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Twins - Boy / Boy

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Twins - Girl / Girl

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Twins - Boy / Girl

Votes: 51 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Grimaldi family seem to be quite traditional with regards to godparents, one relative from mother's side one relative from father's side, except for the heirs at the time of their birth (imo)
so i wouldn't be surprised if someone like Q.Maxima was asked, however seeing the difficulties Charlene obviously had in adjusting to the royal world, i'd wish for her that one of the godparents will come from her family...

but as far as i know her family does not belong to Catholic Church, and it's important for catholics to have godparents who belongs to the same christian denomination. Althought it is possible to choose two Catholic godparents and one or more non catholic parents (like Queen Mathilde did at P.Eléonore christening)

My guess for name is

boy - Louis or Charles (don't think Ranier)
girl - Louise, Charlotte or Antoinette

Last edited:
i think it's likely they will make a press release should charlene be expecting twins, as it becomes a bit of a succession 'issue'... just like it happened when F+M had their twins, and just like it happened when they announced the gender of infanta sofia some months before when she was due to be born when the female succession issue was not fully solved in spain...

I hope it will be a boy, because Charlene comes across more like a boys mom to me.

And names? Well, I could imagine Rainier and the name of Charlenes father somewhere in it, but I guess the first name will be a very own name for the little one. A name that comes from the hearts of Albert and especially Charlene rather than from the family tree of Albert. I really hope so, because that would give Charlene a little something in a very different world where she has the right to decide. Something that gives her the feeling of not having given up every right of her own. Do you know what I mean?

And godparents? The idea of Charlotte being one of them rather than Caroline is nice. She has a little one of her own and knows better what to do with a little godchild nowadays than Caroline who has only older kids. One of Charlene s siblings (how many has she?) is also quiet sure. And seeing that it will be a heir another european royal is also be very sure.

How many godparents are there usually at the monegasque princely family? If there are spare places for godparents I take a wild guess and say Franziska van Almsick, because she was very good friends with Charlene for long years and I still think she is.

I'll go for Queen Máxima as godmother, because she is a Catholic Queen and she's a good friend of Charlène. She said in an interview that she received a lot of help and advice from Máxima, so IMO, there is a chance that they have a very nice question for Queen Máxima next week, during their visit to the Netherlands.

I forgot the godparents had to be Catholic. I reckon Charlotte then or friends of the family and maybe a Catholic royal thrown in the mix.

I'll go for Queen Máxima as godmother, because she is a Catholic Queen and she's a good friend of Charlène. She said in an interview that she received a lot of help and advice from Máxima, so IMO, there is a chance that they have a very nice question for Queen Máxima next week, during their visit to the Netherlands.

I also hoped to see them both togehther, but I just read on "Noblesse et roayutes" that Princess Charlene did not come to the Netherlands due to her pregnancy :sad:

Last edited:
The other Grimaldi's always seem to have two godparents (one male, one female), i'd be very surprise if a Casiraghi was one of the two for this baby, maybe when (and if) there will be more babies, but not for the first...

I think it will be a boy; given the succession laws, I think they may have provided for that as happened in Japan.

The Grimaldi family seem to be quite traditional with regards to godparents, one relative from mother's side one relative from father's side, except for the heirs at the time of their birth (imo)
so i wouldn't be surprised if someone like Q.Maxima was asked, however seeing the difficulties Charlene obviously had in adjusting to the royal world, i'd wish for her that one of the godparents will come from her family...

Maxima would actually be a perfect choice for a Royal godparent to this child who will(God willing) rule Monaco someday. She is Catholic, and Charlene likes her and is apparently comfortable around her. Even though Sophie Countess of Wessex isn't Catholic she could still be asked, Charlene is very friendly with her.

Albert seems very close to the Grand Ducal family of Luxembourg. He sat them in the very front row at his wedding, and also at his personal table during the evening banquet that followed. So perhaps Henri, Maria Teresa, or even HGD Guillaume could be on the list. He might also ask his cousin Chris Levine who is like a brother to him.

Maxima would actually be a perfect choice for a Royal godparent to this child who will(God willing) rule Monaco someday. She is Catholic, and Charlene likes her and is apparently comfortable around her. Even though Sophie Countess of Wessex isn't Catholic she could still be asked, Charlene is very friendly with her.

Albert seems very close to the Grand Ducal family of Luxembourg. He sat them in the very front row at his wedding, and also at his personal table during the evening banquet that followed. So perhaps Henri, Maria Teresa, or even HGD Guillaume could be on the list. He might also ask his cousin Chris Levine who is like a brother to him.

Maxima is a definite candidate and I had also thought about Luxembourg. I noticed that the Luxembourg family were at the very front of the wedding picture featuring all the Royal wedding guests and thought at the time that they must be quite friendly with Albert. If they are allowed a non-Catholic as a Godparent then I think Sophie has a greater chance of being asked than any other Royal.They seem to have a very good friendship with her and she even came to the Grand Prix as their guest a year or 2 ago. Of course this is all in the event that the baby has a number if Godparents, if it's only 2 or 3 then it will probably be just family and close friends. On a different note I've just remembered that the Princess' family are Protestant (I'd forgotten she is a Catholic convert) so that could be tricky!

Last edited:
Well, direct Heirs traditionally have quite a few godparents, at least a couple of them Royals or aristocrats.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the future Marquis or Marquise des Baux to have several from the ranks of both Royalty and the families of it's mother and father.

The Duke and Duchess of Castro are often at events in Monaco and one could be considered as a godparent.

I had completely forgot this family was Catholic so I had originally said choosing Sophie, however if they are allowed a non-catholic godparent then I agree that she is in with a high chance. She is friendly with Charlene as this has been mentioned somewhere else, and she was invited by Charlene and Albert to attend the Grand Prix in 2012 when Sophie was doing something in Monaco.

I forgot the godparents had to be Catholic. I reckon Charlotte then or friends of the family and maybe a Catholic royal thrown in the mix.

I would be very surprised if Charlotte Casiraghi is chosen as godparent. As far as I know she has not even baptized her own nearly six-month old son. During a Catholic baptismal a (Catholic)godparent promises to nuture the Faith of the person or newborn.

Within the Grimaldi/Kelly/Casiraghi families, I can see Melanie de Massy, Chris LeVine, Andrea or Pierre Casiraghi, one of Albert's sister's, and even Alexandra von Hanover being on the shortlist.

I was "feeling" that The Princess was expecting a girl, but now that I know Her Serene Highness is expecting twins, I "feel" they're two boys.

So the names:

Rainier Albert Michel.

Louis Philippe Honoré.

Godparents:

The Grand Duke of Luxembourg and The Queen of the Netherlands.

One of The Princess's brothers and The Princess of Hanover.

Could bring up some interesting succession issues if she has twins.

For example- what if it's a boy and a girl and the girl is born first? Do they change to equal primogeniture?

That kind of stuff

I am pretty sure that if she has a boy and a girl, the boy will inherit.

Unless there is some health or developmental issue with the male child. Monaco only allows females to succeed if there is not a male.

If there are TWO boys, who knows? Perhaps whichever one is delivered first..same as two girls.

Could bring up some interesting succession issues if she has twins.

For example- what if it's a boy and a girl and the girl is born first? Do they change to equal primogeniture?

That kind of stuff

Call me suspicious, but if it were twins and boy/girl, then i expect the boy *will* be born first
(for primogeniture it doesn't make a difference how many time (minutes or years) there is between the sister and the brother...could be 10 years in between, the boy will always take precedence)

I hope for a boy and a girl if she is going to have twins

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Royals Community mobile app

Let's wait to see as her belly grows what she may have
This is a nice change

I have another interesting question - in which sport will the child participate at the Olympics. Something between bobsleigh and swimming... rowing (also in genes)? :p

i didnt know charlene was friends with the Countess of Wessex! where did you get the info from?
it's true that the monaco family is good friends with the lux family... so a fitting choice would indeed be HGD guillaume together with maxima for godparents indeed!

In one of Charlene's early interviews before her wedding, she discussed her friendship with the Countess of Wessex in Paris Match. Sophie has also made private and official visits to the Principality to visit her. A few years ago she was there to receive an award and wore the most amazing one shoulder pink sheath. She caused quite a sensation!

That said, I have to honest and say for Albert's sake I wish a baby girl that is a carbon copy of his beloved mother Grace Kelly, whom he was so close to and vice versa, her only son. At least we know the baby will have naturally blonde hair & blue eyes like Grace. :flowers:[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily that the child would have the blonde hair & blue eyes of Princess Grace. Definitely blue eyes as Albert & Charlene have blue eyes, but dark hair could occur from the Grimaldi genes.

Last edited:
I think if Princess Charlene was expecting twins, we'd know about it. Assuming the official press release was at her 12 week mark, an ultrasound would have shown twins. I couldn't see why the principality wouldn't release that information.

I'm hoping for a girl...let's continue the trend of Crown Princesses in Europe!

I think their first child will be a boy. A prince for Monaco!
I suggest his names - Jacques Rainier Michaël Piérre :D
I think his godparents will be Pierre Casiraghi , Gareth Wittstock ,
princess Stéphanie of Monaco

Charlene's attendance is now cancelled. I highly doubt that Máxima and Charlene are 'friends'. They must have met a few times but not very often. And their lives, personality and interests are very, very different. Most of these supposed royal friendships seem a bit forced and cosmetic to me btw, good to cultivate for the public image.

In any case, let's not hope for Máxima as godmother, being too closely associated with the Grimaldi's & their unconventional life style is harmful for the reputation of the RF in the Netherlands. The king and queen were critisized not too long ago for having a jetset life style with real estate all over the world & such. The Grimaldi's are the epithany of a lifestyle that many people associate with the jetset so to be too closely linked to that is not wise.

Since the catholics can only have 2 godparents, it usually is restricted to close relatives. Though Alberts godmother was the dowager Queen of Spain, who was no relation at all.

--

If it is a boy I hope it will be named Rainier, a nice tribute to the late prince who made Monaco to what it is today.

Last edited:
With Rainier and Albert, actually the old and ancient House de Chalencon de Polignac is reigning in the principality but they use the surname "Grimaldi". It would be nice to have the actual Chef of that ancestral House as one of the godparents: Armand-Charles de Polignac, 8e Duc de Polignac (and Pair de France, like in my username :lol:).

I vote for a baby boy, but I think a baby girl would be great too :D

Congratulation to Albert and Charlene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom