CP Mary's Transformation from the "Girl Next Door": October 2006 - April 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Bluffton

Nobility
City
Bluffton
Country
United States
CP Mary's Transformation from the "Girl Next Door": October 2006 - April 2007

I am terribly fascinated by the transformation of CP Mary of Denmark from the proverbial "girl next door" to a princess, complete with personal stylist and high fashion attire and accessories.

What have you observed about this astonishing transformation? I am looking for observations as to make-up techniques, wardrobe changes, and diet/exercise regimes.

For me, the biggest thing has been Mary's weight loss. She looked like an average girl that has turned crossed the line into model dimensions (tall and slender). Does this mean I could do the same?

How did she do it? Your thoughts and observations, please.

The Crown Princess' major transformation definitely has to do with weight loss.

Another would be her access to the best team of stylists and a personal trainer to help her maintain her look.

Lady Bluffton, of course you could accomplish a complete transformation, but it takes a lot of discipline and determination.

The major challenge with such a transformation is to retain the person's individuality. Mary is certainly professionally made up and expensively dressed. However, where is Mary? Compare her with the rest of the CP's that have been transformed into royal women and they have all managed to remain them selves. I hope somewhere along the way Mary will add personality to her persona.

Mary has always been a fan of outdoor sports such as running, field hocky, horse-back riding, and cycling. Even as mild exercise there are pictures of Mary strolling with Christian around the gardens of the palace. I'm sure she has access to the best gym equipment available so she can exercise inside when winter hits. Her weight loss could also be attributed to stress from becoming Crown Princess. Mary's figure has certainly become more slim since becoming Crown Princess but the summer bathing suit pictures confirm that she is not just skin and bones. I think she's found a healthy balance and she definitely does not need to lose any more weight.

I totally disagree that Mary with her new look doesn't look something like what she is naturally,of course she lost weight and she is dressed from designers,but then it's the same for Letizia for example,but for me Mary is still the same as she was before,what i mean is that you can recognize her comparing to what she was before,and I think she is not the most madeup and changed,the most changed after their makeovers are Quenn Rania of Jordan who had some major changes like plastic surergy,weight loss,fashions and makeup... and late princess Diana ,big wieight loss,and fashion style....

I think there's a thread which shows the changes of many royal women from before and after.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f97/royals-before-after-4877-2.html?highlight=relooking

I am all for fitness and good health, but I guess what bothers me a little bit about Mary's transformation is that she believed the way she was (average girl with curves) was not good enough or suitable for the role she agreed to assume (Crown Princess). In other words, she had to look like a supermodel just to be a CP? Isn't there more to her job than just appearances (i.e. dress size)?

And! If Fred fell in love with her before the transformation, then why does it (a transformation) matter?

I don't think it was so much Mary thinking she needed to change her appearance to be a good CP, but the Danish Royal House. I think that when her "training" started, she was taught what a CP is "supposed" to look like.

Lady Bluffton said:
I am all for fitness and good health, but I guess what bothers me a little bit about Mary's transformation is that she believed the way she was (average girl with curves) was not good enough or suitable for the role she agreed to assume (Crown Princess). In other words, she had to look like a supermodel just to be a CP? Isn't there more to her job than just appearances (i.e. dress size)?

And! If Fred fell in love with her before the transformation, then why does it (a transformation) matter?

Good point ldt20 - one can remember how horrible the tabloids were to Sarah Ferguson when she gained weight...maybe something they wanted to avoid - although Mary was hardly overweight when she met Fred. Good styling and make up helps I think. A friend of my sister´s was doing a professional make up course and used my sister as a guinea pig - it´s amazing how good make up can transform or enhance your looks.

Lady Bluffton said:

1. Who says Mary believed that she was not good enough for the role of a crownprincess the way she was?
She looked very normal around the time of her engagement.
Obviously she lost most of her kilos because of the stress of the wedding and her new role.
And so did for example Letizia, just that she was thin already.
Besides Mary had problems with gallstones and was perhaps adviced to take more care of her health and food.
2. In my eyes Mary did not look that bad before her weightloss and she does not look like a supermodel now.
3. There is definitely more to her job, for example the patronage for 20 organizations.
4. Perhaps it matters more to some of the posters on this messageboard than to Frederik?
Why is it that always those who are obviously too superficial to see beyond Mary's dress-size
are those who complain most about Mary's transformation and attitude?

ricarda said:
1. Who says Mary believed that she was not good enough for the role of a crownprincess the way she was?
She looked very normal around the time of her engagement.
Obviously she lost most of her kilos because of the stress of the wedding and her new role.
And so did for example Letizia, just that she was thin already.
Besides Mary had problems with gallstones and was perhaps adviced to take more care of her health and food.
I think the reference was before meeting and dating Fredrick, not before the engagement, she was involved with him for a couple of years before becoming engaged. That's when the transformation happened!

Yes, I totally agree with you Henry! I hate people pretending to look loveable, when they are not. Be simple is what matters to the people. When you are so concerned with your weight and what to wear, how to smile, etc, it doesnt matter - you're just wasting the taxpayer's money. No wonder Diana was the Queen of Hearts - no one, including Mary will ever replace her.

araivakadua said:
Yes, I totally agree with you Henry! I hate people pretending to look loveable, when they are not. Be simple is what matters to the people. When you are so concerned with your weight and what to wear, how to smile, etc, it doesnt matter - you're just wasting the taxpayer's money. No wonder Diana was the Queen of Hearts - no one, including Mary will ever replace her.
Who said Mary was trying to replace Diana- they are world's apart and this thread is about Mary.:)

I think we still see much of the "girl next door"- look at Christian's birthday photos, for example! Mary is in jeans, minimal makeup and is clearly a hands-on mother. We've had lots of photos released that show Mary participating in sports or shopping with friends- in these images, there is very little about her that is glaringly "royal" and much looks the same as she did before she met Frederik.

There must be some degree of transformation for every crown princess- they now represent their nation in a diplomatic capacity and the nature of the job includes state occasions and participation in ceremony and tradition completely different from anything in their previous lives. Wearing a tiara to dinner simply requires a new look.

Mary is thinner than she was four years ago- no question. In all honesty, if I were in her shoes and my photo was taken anytime I stepped outside my home, I would likely want to tone up my tush as well.

I just finished reading with Mary, Crown Princess of Denmarkby Karin Palshoj and Gitte Redder. One of the themes that keeps coming up in the book is how private Mary is. Most of her friends have not shared secrets about her personal life and NONE of us knows how Frederik proposed to her. She has chosen, quite wisely I believe, to keep a large part of her life private.

Maybe that's why some don't connect with her and why there seems to be a transformation of sorts. I really think we are usually able to only see the public Mary- the Princess. She has a role and her clothing fits that role, just as many of us get a new wardrobe if a new job requires different dress. I don't think we see much of the personal Mary, which is much more protected.

Azile

Isn't it amazing that every thread about Mary becomes a "What bothers you about Mary" thread. Apparently, there are a lot of people that are bothered. It doesn't seem to be going away.

royaltywatcher said:
Isn't it amazing that every thread about Mary becomes a "What bothers you about Mary" thread. Apparently, there are a lot of people that are bothered. It doesn't seem to be going away.

:lol: LOL. Maybe someone should open up a thread called What Bothers You About Mary and Letizia...then all those people could just stew in there. :lol:

Mathilde1286 said:
:lol: LOL. Maybe someone should open up a thread called What Bothers You About Mary and Letizia...then all those people could just stew in there. :lol:

Well there's already a What is your opinon of Frederik and Mary thread so thats the Place to post it.

Back to the transformation. I think it's the clothes, make-up and the weight loss. A change in these really can show on a person.

I think a lot of the changes are down to the type of clothes Mary now wears. Pictures of her pre-princess show her in a lot of casual, looser clothes which on the whole were maybe not that flattering especially when she was a bit fuller figured. Now her clothes are more tailored and well fitted with nipped in waists etc which creates a more streamilined silhouette.
I have to say that I'm quite pleased that Mary's appearance has changed now she is a CP. Before she was 'girl next door' but so are a lot of people, probably me included. I want royalty to be something a little special, a little bit different, something that your average man (or woman!) on the street is not. Mary has transformed from someone who could have been me, my friends, people reading this board to someone a lot of people appear to admire and look up to which is what a princess should be.
Sorry if this all sounds a bit superficial but this is part of the fashion forum so I think I'm allowed to be a little bit frivilous!! :flowers:

Thanks much for all the responses -- and thanks for not letting this become a pro vs. con discussion on Mary.

It's just interesting to me how a person's appearance can make a statement about the less tangible aspects of who they are as a person. As much as I love monitoring Mary's wardrobe (lovely) and tiara sightings, I still can't shake the feeling that this "transformation" has gone a little too far. And yes, I am talking from pre-engagement to now.

The only thing that's different about the royals versus "us" is their position. They still wake up in the morning with goop in their eyes and bad breath. My point is that with Mary's "transformation", I think we lost a little of the "real" Mary. Mary from the suburbs has been buried beneath the trappings of expensive make-up and toning from personal trainers. And I, for one, think that is sad.

I think I would really like Maxima in person; she seems so real...not so sure I can say the same thing about Mary, and I still go back to the "transformation". The girl got lost somewhere along the way.

I think Mary's transformation has been steady, in the sense that it didn't happen overnight and relatively natural. Sure, she's lost some weight, but Mary was not overweight to begin with and she has not lost weight to the point where she looks sickly, so it hasn't been a very dramatic, unhealthy weight loss. I think her figure looks healthy and athletic - we all know how much she loves sports. There have been some other transformations in terms of weight that do not look like natural weight loss (I won't name any names, but I'm sure some people can think of a few names), but Mary isn't one of them.

Yes, her style has changed a lot and she looks much more polished and refined, but being polished and refined helps her represent her new adopted country - who wants a princess who doesn't look like she cares enough about her role to dress well? I equate this to any other royal, or even CEOs of companies, Presidents/Prime Ministers of countries, who represent something more than themselves and subsequently dress well in order to show respect for what they represent. As a Canadian, when I see Queen Elizabeth II, who is the Queen of Canada as well as all the other commonwealth countries, I appreciate seeing her dressed well, even in her older age, as it shows that she respects her position and the countries she represents. Mary, as a younger princess, of course dresses a little more in style than the older royals do, but she always dresses well, with polish and class, which to me shows that she cares about the way she represents her country and the position she holds.

What some people feel about her work aside from how she looks is a topic for a different thread altogether, but I think Mary's transformation has been natural and appropriate, and see no issues with it.

Whether Mary has lost a bit of her identity is difficult to judge from pictures and footage of her in her public role. As a Crown Princess, she is representing Denmark and the royal family, not herself. How she is in private is a much better judge of whether she's lost who she is... and we will probably never know this unless we know Mary herself. I have a suspicion though that she is still, more or less, the same Mary she was then in terms of character and personality, and I'm sure her family in Australia would probably agree. Yes, she is much more disciplined and professional (for lack of a better word) in her public role, and while I am sure she is still respectful of her position in her private life, I suspect she is more loose, fun and more "Mary from the suburbs" (to quote above) when she is not on her official duties, like when she is with Frederik, Christian, her family, friends, etc.. Of course, we can't know this... so I wouldn't spend too much time speculating on whether or not Mary is the same person on the inside as she was when she met Frederik.

Lady Bluffton - I think you could go through a "transformation" like Mary's, too, but it would take quite a bit of money and time, as well as commitment and discipline, as has been mentioned upthread.

Last edited:
I think everyone and anyone would change , espically becoming a princess! at the end of the day Princess Mary does a good job ! and she has had a lot to deal with , new language , country , the press etc . keep up the good work mary !

politikgirl, I agree completely with your post. By dressing well, it shows they respect their elevated position in society. I am sure that when Mary is at home with her family (Fred, Christian etc) she is more relaxed and at ease.

I think she has a lot of respect for her role and for her position in society because she obviously cares about what the people of Denmark think of her and as a result, she is careful of what she says, does and acts. I think that shows a large amount of respect.

Change is not a bad thing in my opinion.

Don't we all change.
I got a better job, so I now buy better clothes and have a sense of confidence when I walk. I want to do better.

I think if we don't change in life, we are not doing us a favor. Life is all about learning and moving forward.

Mary on the other hand has a whole nation looking at her. She better have changed from her normal life in Australia otherwise she would not have progressed in any way. That would be a waste.

araivakadua said:
I hate people pretending to look loveable, when they are not. Be simple is what matters to the people. When you are so concerned with your weight and what to wear, how to smile, etc, it doesnt matter - you're just wasting the taxpayer's money. No wonder Diana was the Queen of Hearts - no one, including Mary will ever replace her.

Oh yes, Diana never ever was concerned with her weight and what to wear.
She never ever wasted a thought on her image and never tried to look loveable
while she was manipulating the media and causing the biggest crisis of the British monarchy ever (together with her husband).

I am sure Mary will never replace her - and that's a very good thing.

It is a pity that posters feel a Princess should 'transform' with stylistes et al. When you look at pictures of Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Máxima and Letizia, they are very much the same before and after the marriage. ...
She is the first who comes in my mind when it is about royal crises of the future.

I disagree.
Their looks may be the same (or may have changed to the worse instead to the better).
But I feel Mette-Marit's and Letizia's personalities have changed much more than Mary's.
And I think that Maxima also has changed a bit.
IMO she is not as natural and warm as she was in the beginning.

But they are all doing their best and hopefully will never be like Diana.

It is a pity though that posters see a person as a danger to the monarchy
just because she has improved her look with the help of stylists.

Last edited:
auntie said:
I think the reference was before meeting and dating Fredrick, not before the engagement, she was involved with him for a couple of years before becoming engaged. That's when the transformation happened!

I don't see that much of a transformation during those years.
Actually I think she looked very much "girl-next-door" at her engagement.
With a few kilos less perhaps.

politikgirl said:
I think Mary's transformation has been steady, in the sense that it didn't happen overnight and relatively natural. Sure, she's lost some weight, but Mary was not overweight to begin with and she has not lost weight to the point where she looks sickly, so it hasn't been a very dramatic, unhealthy weight loss. I think her figure looks healthy and athletic - we all know how much she loves sports. There have been some other transformations in terms of weight that do not look like natural weight loss (I won't name any names, but I'm sure some people can think of a few names), but Mary isn't one of them.

Yes, her style has changed a lot and she looks much more polished and refined, but being polished and refined helps her represent her new adopted country - who wants a princess who doesn't look like she cares enough about her role to dress well? I equate this to any other royal, or even CEOs of companies, Presidents/Prime Ministers of countries, who represent something more than themselves and subsequently dress well in order to show respect for what they represent. As a Canadian, when I see Queen Elizabeth II, who is the Queen of Canada as well as all the other commonwealth countries, I appreciate seeing her dressed well, even in her older age, as it shows that she respects her position and the countries she represents. Mary, as a younger princess, of course dresses a little more in style than the older royals do, but she always dresses well, with polish and class, which to me shows that she cares about the way she represents her country and the position she holds.

What some people feel about her work aside from how she looks is a topic for a different thread altogether, but I think Mary's transformation has been natural and appropriate, and see no issues with it.

Whether Mary has lost a bit of her identity is difficult to judge from pictures and footage of her in her public role. As a Crown Princess, she is representing Denmark and the royal family, not herself. How she is in private is a much better judge of whether she's lost who she is... and we will probably never know this unless we know Mary herself. I have a suspicion though that she is still, more or less, the same Mary she was then in terms of character and personality, and I'm sure her family in Australia would probably agree. Yes, she is much more disciplined and professional (for lack of a better word) in her public role, and while I am sure she is still respectful of her position in her private life, I suspect she is more loose, fun and more "Mary from the suburbs" (to quote above) when she is not on her official duties, like when she is with Frederik, Christian, her family, friends, etc.. Of course, we can't know this... so I wouldn't spend too much time speculating on whether or not Mary is the same person on the inside as she was when she met Frederik.

I concur, politikgirl. And not just because I am a Mary supporter but because I believe in what you have stated.

I think Mary has changed quite dramatically over the years and it seems to be something that occurred pretty much as soon as she met Fred.

The photos I've seen of her from 2000(and some from younger days) show a chunky woman with dull skin and bad taste in clothes. Since then she's shed the weight (and emphasised some of her bad physical feaures,imo) and clearly started using better quality products on her hair and skin.

As for her dress sense, I don't think she's got a style as such, she's well groomed and makes the classic mistake of thinkng that expensive clothes=style. At least that's my take on her.

Madame Royale said:
I concur, politikgirl. And not just because I am a Mary supporter but because I believe in what you have stated.
I third that too- I couldn't have said it better myself.. I really do believe Mary is who you see and has never really changed .She might dress different etc etc but i think she is still the same old Mary in her values and this shows in her work and the way she interacts with people. She looks great.:flowers:

Of course she is the same old Mary in her values. Also the pre-Mary high likely wanted to marry rich...and now she is married to a rich guy. And before you think this is another Mary-bashing...no, I do understand her...if you are meeting a nice guy, who is even wealthy, who wouldn´t grab him?
As it seems she was also a children person before and she still is. And it seems, she was quite a social personality and she still is (at least when she´s feeling comfy and safe in her surroundings)

Well, and talking about the superficial changes. Of course she got a new set of clothes. And that´s pretty normal...one can´t expect her to wear her old blue jogging clothes for Royal duties (I´m biting now on my tongue...so that the words Astrakhan and Prada don´t come out ;))
And as many already said, she lost a great deal of weight. Also shortly before the engagement, she was pretty thin and lost a little bit more around the wedding. I guess, she did it to look better (and later also wedding stress may have caused the one or another pound)...and somehow she does, but her facial features have suffered a little from her diet. Her face looked softer before. Well, one can´t have all.
Before, around the engagement and also partly after the wedding, she had this terrible habit of making a pouty face with the head up. It seems, she got this from the Starmaker course...thanks god, this has improved and she is looking more natural again.
I think she is wearing heavier Make up, is avoiding sun exposition and got some chemical peelings to work with the sun damages. Nothing wrong with that...as long as she doesn´t start with Botox and collagen duck lips (hate that personally)
Well conclusio...I like the old style of "Mary Donaldson" more, but I can also see, that many ppl have a certain image of Royalty, that needs to be fulfilled. There must be a reason, why all Danes were so taken by this Tassie girl in the beginning...

Last edited:
Some posts have been moved to the "What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary" thread because the remarks were irrelevant to this discussion. Thanks to everyone who have not taken the bait and kept this thread on track.

Happy posting!

Mandy
Royal House of Fashion Moderator

Mary went through a major transformation. Obviously their are people who helped and advised her in what to do and there are still helping her. But it is normal for her to change because she had become a crown princess; she was no more the normal young women. Her transformation was a great change and I think she has or has become a style icon for many other princesses and young women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom