Crown Prince Naruhito & Crown Princess Masako Current Events 6: Ja.2016 - April 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect this is the wrong forum for this question, but I'm uncertain where to put it...
can anyone recommend a knowledgeable, recent biography of Crown Princess Masako?

Crown prince in training, right on track to be new emperor: The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

Naruhito will ascend the Chrysanthemum Throne in May 2019, ending the Heisei Era and starting his reign at age 59--the second-oldest emperor ever at the time of ascension.

The crown prince has hinted what sort of emperor he intends to be. Naruhito mentioned water control and other water-related issues he researches as his life’s work, saying that it is his “new public duty in step with the era.”

The comment is based on his ideas that solving water issues can contribute to the resolution of poverty, regional conflicts over water resources and the realization of peace. It seems fair to say that it is a new style of public duty corresponding to globalization.

“Seeing things through the lens of water, he is concerned with environmental problems, poverty and other issues commonly shared by the world,” said Kenzo Hiroki, 58, a former Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism official, who has worked with Naruhito. “I feel that he is strongly motivated to care for underprivileged people.”

[...]

In last April, Masako attended an event at Gakushuin University’s Mejiro Campus in Tokyo, talking to visually disabled people at a booth set up to raise awareness of guide dogs.

“I clearly felt Masako-sama was kind enough to talk to me eye to eye,” Mitsuo Sakamoto, 71, who is blind, recalled.

According to Eye Mate Inc., an association that trains guide dogs, Masako has been visiting the booth almost every year since 2013 when she showed up with her husband and their daughter, Princess Aiko.

(...)

Good to know CP Masako's making these private visits.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
Yes it is and I follow her closely for I am very fond of this young lady for she seems like a very likeable person wanting to do good and has had a tough time living with the IHA who control all aspects of the royals lives in that family.

CP Naruhito and CP Masako expressed condolences to the victims and injured from the Mount Kusatsu-Shirane eruption in Gunma Prefecture. CP Naruhito climbed the volcano twice, in 1979 and 1980; CP Masako skied at Kusatsu during her childhood.

Source: Asahi

On January 31st, the CP family observed the lunar eclipse.

On February 1st, CP Naruhito and CP Masako invited the Ministry of Justice's director to Togu Palace for a meeting on rehabilitation for criminals and juvenile delinquents' return to society. The couple has a close interest in rehabilitation and pay close attention to socially vulnerable people. The meeting covered the history and structure of the rehabilitation system and partnership with volunteers.

Source: Sankei Imperial Weekly #524

Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako attended a concert in Tokyo today, February 14:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako stand at the entrance of Togu Palace as the crown prince prepares to depart for Brazil, in Tokyo on March 16

Belga Image

On March 26th, the CP family travelled to Nagano Prefecture for their annual spring break. About 380 people greeted them at the JR Nagano station around 12:30pm. The family chatted to well-wishers for about 10 minutes. Aiko was asked if she was as tall as her mother now. Masako recognized 40 year old Ikumi Inoue who welcomed the family last year.

Photos: Asahi, Jiji

Video:

Last edited:
On April 10th, the Cabinet approved increases in police and staff for the Crown Prince family in preparation for 2019's succession. From this October, 6 palace staff and 5 female officers will be added to Togu Palace.

Source: Sankei

On April 18th, CP Naruhito and CP Masako attended the 110th anniversary ceremony of Japan Society at Hotel Okura Tokyo. Japan Society is a private non-profit organization promoting mutual understanding and exchange between Japan and the United States. CP Naruhito visited the organization during his trip to the US in 1985.

The couple appreciated Noh music at the anniversary ceremony. CP Naruhito attended the reception afterward.

Photos: Sankei, Jiji, Mainichi, Getty Images

Last edited:
Crown Prince Naruhito eyes visit to France with Princess Masako in Sept. - Kyodo News Plus
[...]

The [Imperial Household Agency] is currently arranging the crown prince's official visit to France in mid-September, according to the sources. He is expected to meet with French President Emmanuel Macron and attend events to introduce Japanese culture.

[...]

Whether the couple will travel together to France is likely to be decided at the last minute, but a senior official of the agency said, "We hope she will feel more confident about herself by making an overseas visit before becoming the empress."

This year marks the 160th anniversary of the establishment of bilateral diplomatic relations between Japan and France. A series of Japanese cultural events called "Japonismes 2018" will be held in Paris and elsewhere from July.
I certainly hope CP Masako will be well enough to go. I agree with the official an overseas visit is a good checkpoint before 2019. Maybe they can figure out a reasonable schedule for her.

news24.jp reports the official visit should be about week long.

I certainly hope CP Masako will be well enough to go. I agree with the official an overseas visit is a good checkpoint before 2019. Maybe they can figure out a reasonable schedule for her.

news24.jp reports the official visit should be about week long.

Very interesting. A week long trip seems like a bit of a stretch for Princess Masako, so I have my doubts over whether she'll actually be able to do this, but it would be wonderful if she could.

It would be nice if they let her visit her parents in the Netherlands on that trip as well... When was he expected to retire? Would that be after this visit?

It would be nice if they let her visit her parents in the Netherlands on that trip as well... When was he expected to retire? Would that be after this visit?

I'd like to know this, too. I haven't been able to find any reports of exactly when her father is expected to retire, just that it will be before the enthronement of Naruhito.

Thanks! 1,000 people welcomed the CP family at JR Utsunomiya station and along the route to the Imperial Stock Farm. The family last visited 3 years ago. The Akishino family also arrived on the same day to stay for a few days. [Jiji]

Asahi gallery

news.tv-asahi.co.jp reports a beloved horse died last month and the CP family plans to visit the farm's animal memorial. The Sultan of Oman gave the horse to the Crown Prince 24 years ago.

Reactions: eya
Thanks! 1,000 people welcomed the CP family at JR Utsunomiya station and along the route to the Imperial Stock Farm. The family last visited 3 years ago. The Akishino family also arrived on the same day to stay for a few days. [Jiji]

Are the two families on a joint vacation? I do hope that the brothers have mended their relationship.

Naruhito seems a really kind and friendly man (like his father); is that also how he is perceived in Japan?

I believe the rift has been mended and CP Naruhito is well liked in the Japan.

According to Sankei Imperial Weekly #537 page 3, the families also vacationed together at the Imperial Farm 3 years ago. They tended the vegetable gardens and had joint dinners.

The Akishino family returned to Tokyo on May 5th to have dinner with Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. [news24.jp]

On May 13th, the Crown Prince family visited Imperial Palace to learn about sericulture. The family arrived around 10:50am; Empress Michiko explained the work to Masako. It's the Crown Princess' first time visiting the sericulture facilities. Afterwards, the CP family had lunch with Their Majesties and departed after 2pm.

CP Masako hopes to inherit the sericulture tradition performed by empresses since the Meiji era.

Arrival photos: Jiji, Asahi

Last edited:
That would be wonderful if CP Masako were able to take over the sericulture responsibilities. It's such an important part of the role, and since it is done mostly out of the public eye, perhaps it would be less stressful than some of the other duties.

I'm really touched by how hard she is obviously trying to get better, and fulfill her duties as much as she can.

I can't see any reason CP Masako would not be able to do the sericulture duties of the Empress. She seems to me to be doing just fine doing her duties as CP. I don't see much evidence at all of her having difficulties in public any more.

I can't see any reason CP Masako would not be able to do the sericulture duties of the Empress. She seems to me to be doing just fine doing her duties as CP. I don't see much evidence at all of her having difficulties in public any more.

Unfortunately, although she is clearly trying hard to expand her activities and the engagements she attends, her participation in things like the garden parties is limited, and she makes a brief appearance and then leaves. She is not even scheduled for some things like the New Year's lectures that the rest of the imperial family are expected to attend, and from the information that the IHA makes public, it's clear that they are trying hard to manage her stress levels and not pressure her too much.

On May 25th, CP Naruhito and CP Masako traveled to Shiga Prefecture. They will visit a child development center in Maibara City in the afternoon. On the 26th, the couple will attend the 29th National Greenery Conservation ceremony in Nagahama City and visit Hikone Castle Museum.

CP Naruhito regularly attends the national greenery conservation ceremony; Prince Akishino will most likely take over this event after the abdication/ascension.

Source: Kyodo

https://nordot-res.cloudinary.com/t_size_l/ch/images/372587484867658849/origin_1.jpg

The CP couple look very interested and engaged, very nice to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom