Death and Funeral of Jörg Sommerlath: February 18 and 24, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrandDuchess

Heir Apparent
City
Somwhere
Country
Sweden
The Queen's youngest brother has passed away

This evening, Swedish media reports that the Queen's youngest brother - Jörg Sommerlath - has passed away. The Director of the Information and Press Office at the Royal Court has announced that the King will leave the Olympics in Turin to go to Germany to be with his wife and family.

Jörg Sommerlath passed away today Saturday from his cancer, despite various treatments he didn't make it. He became 64 years old and leaves behind a wife and two daughters (in their teens).

Last edited:
Thats sad... may he rest in peace.

Are both Victoria and Carl Philip with their mother in Germany?

His children are so young. It's always difficult to hear about people passing but it's even harder when their children are so young.

I'm glad though that the Queen was able to spend so much time with her brother in the end and was with him at the time of his passing.

Very bad news!

It is really sad that the Queen's brother lost his fight against the cancer.

All my thoughts are with his family, with his wife and daughters, and with his brothers and sister.

May he rest in peace!!!

That is such sad news..How old are Joerg Sommerlath's children?
My condolences to all the family.

Beate said:
That is such sad news..How old are Joerg Sommerlath's children?
My condolences to all the family.

Helena is 15 and Vivian is 13...so still very young. This is so sad :(

How very sad. I, too, am glad the Queen was able to with him so much at the end.

My deepest sympathies to Queen Silvia and her family. :(

My Condolences to the Swedish Royal Family

It is really sad that the Queen's brother lost his fight against the cancer.

All my thoughts are with his family, with his wife and daughters, and with his brothers and sister.

May he rest in peace!

How very sad... It's a long fight against his illness, isn't it?
The Queen, despite being remorsely sad, must be glad she stayed behind to be with his brother.
Any news on the royal children (victoria, carl philip, maybe madeleine) on accompanying their mother or going for the funeral?

purple_platinum said:
How very sad... It's a long fight against his illness, isn't it?
The Queen, despite being remorsely sad, must be glad she stayed behind to be with his brother.
Any news on the royal children (victoria, carl philip, maybe madeleine) on accompanying their mother or going for the funeral?
Yes, he had been fighting against the cancer since December 2004, when he was diagnosed. I'm glad that the Queen has been able to spend so much time together with Jörg these past months, before he passed away.

Nothing have been reported about the funeral arrangements yet, I guess it will take some time for the family to decide on how to handle things. The King left Turin yesterday, Saturday, only a day after he arrived.

Aftonbladet today wrote that Crown Princess Victoria cancelled her attendance at Princess Christina and Tord Magnusson's moving out party at Villa Beylon which they supposedly hosted yesterday. I guess she did so because of the loss of Jörg, and maybe she has joined the family in Germany/Belgium now.

Even if we don't know any more detail about any funeral arrangements etc, I would though guess that the royal children will all attend the funeral whenever it will take place, but I think it will all be handled very privately within the family.

Last edited:
GrandDuchess said:
Even if we don't know any more detail about any funeral arrangements etc, I would though guess that the royal children will all attend the funeral whenever it will take place, but I think it will all be handled very privately within the family.

I remember that the press had photos from the funerals of Silvia´s parents. I really hope the press won´t make pics this time. This is my personal limit. When you make a state funeral, you are aware of being watched of cameras, but private funerals and with them going emotions should be really allowed to be kept private!

Exactly what I thought!

Lena said:
I remember that the press had photos from the funerals of Silvia´s parents. I really hope the press won´t make pics this time. This is my personal limit. When you make a state funeral, you are aware of being watched of cameras, but private funerals and with them going emotions should be really allowed to be kept private!

Thank you, Lena, for your clear words. That's exactly what I thought. I hope that the press will leave the family alone with their emotions and tears.

I really always love to see new pictures of the Royal Family, but not from a private funeral.

Lets hope that the press will understand this, too.

So, I guess there will be very quiet on the swedish front for a while, the royal couple were supposed to be in Turin for one and a half week and now thats been cancelled...

does anyone know what will be their next official apperance?

a photo of Queen Silvia with her late brother, Jorg Sommerlath

(from billet bladet)

The funeral of Jörg Sommerlath will take place tomorrow (Friday) in Handschuhsheim (part of the german town Heidelberg). His last resting place will be the family grave of the Sommerlaths, where already his parents are buried.
The funeral is planned to be private. Of the Royal family the Queen, the King, Carl Philip (wasn´t Jörg his godfather?) and maybe Crown Princess Victoria will go. After the funeral the King and Carl Philip will go to Turin.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=532884

Lena said:
The funeral of Jörg Sommerlath will take place tomorrow (Friday) in Handschuhsheim (part of the german town Heidelberg). His last resting place will be the family grave of the Sommerlaths, where already his parents are buried.
The funeral is planned to be private. Of the Royal family the Queen, the King, Carl Philip (wasn´t Jörg his godfather?) and maybe Crown Princess Victoria will go. After the funeral the King and Carl Philip will go to Turin.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=532884
Imo its a bit strange that this information goes out to the press, but isnt mentioned on www.royalcourt.se.

Does anyone know how the papers get this information? Do they call Nina Eldh? Or does she contact them?

Yennie said:
Imo its a bit strange that this information goes out to the press, but isnt mentioned on www.royalcourt.se.

Does anyone know how the papers get this information? Do they call Nina Eldh? Or does she contact them?

I´m pretty sure the newspapers called the press office at the court. This is common practice and a big part of the work of the press department.
I think it´s only wise not to mention these things on the official page. So they set a clear sign, that they want the funeral to be private.

BTW as I get it from various pages everyone can call the press department...if you get an satisfying answer is though questionable.

According to Daniel Nyhlén on TV4.se also Madeleine will participate in the funeral. She landed today in Sweden and will go to Heidelberg for tomorrow. On Saturday she will go back to the USA.

http://www.tv4.se/kandis/446558.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he the first of the Queen's siblings to pass away? It must be so hard loosing her brother. Were they close?

robby86 said:
Is he the first of the Queen's siblings to pass away? It must be so hard loosing her brother. Were they close?
Yes he is...
I belive Silvia is very close to her brothers and the rest of her family. So it must be hard... and he was quite young to. Very tragic

[FONT=verdana, arial]Walther Sommerlath (1901-1990) Married 1925 to Alice de Toledo (1906-1997)
1. Ralf Sommerlath (born 1929) Married to Charlotte
1.1. Carmita Sommerlath (born 1958) Married to Serge de Radiqučs de Chennevičre
1.1.1. Thibault Radiqučs de Chennevičre (born 1987)
1.1.2. Chloč Radiqučs de Chennevičre (born 1989)
1.2. Thomas Sommerlath (born 1961) Married 1988 to Susanne; they have three children)
2. Walther Sommerlath (born 1934) Div. from Michele, remarried 1993 to Ingrid Galozzi
2.1. Sophie Sommerlath (born 1963)
2.2. Patrick Sommerlath (born 1971) Previous relationship to actress Camilla Lundén (born 1967)
2.2.1. Son Leopold (born 2002)
3. Jörg Sommerlath (1941-2006) Married 1986 to Simone Junge (born circa 1965)
3.1. Helena Sommerlath (born 1992)
3.2. Vivien Sommerlath (born 1995)
4. Silvia Sommerlath (born 1943) Married 1976 to King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden (born 1946)
4.1 Crown Princess Victoria (born 1977)
4.2 Prince Carl Philip (born 1979)
4.2 Princess Madeleine (born 1982)

Posted by Ritva on http://members3.boardhost.com/scandinavia/msg/1140714972.html

[/FONT]

Thank you Yennie & magnik for the seedy info.

It must be horrible at times to be royal/famous, having intruisive pictures taken while they are obviously so upset!

i agree, i didn't think there would be pictures from the funeral. but here they are... and the swedish rf looks really sad... :( :(

a couple more from DPA

Attachments

• 080201_5.jpg
    080201_5.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 8,417
  • 080501_4.jpg
    080501_4.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,083
  • 080901_5.jpg
    080901_5.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,549
  • 082501_5.jpg
    082501_5.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,155
  • 082601_5.jpg
    082601_5.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,452
  • 089501_4.jpg
    089501_4.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,608
  • 090201_4.jpg
    090201_4.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 3,168
  • 090801_4.jpg
    090801_4.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 674
I do feel it was vey unfair of photographers to have taken photographs at this sad and sensitive time.

The whole Royal Family are obviously very upset but Princess Madeleine looks very upset inparticular. may I offer condulances to the Royal family at this upsetting time.

Last edited by a moderator:
from ANP

Princess Madeleine (front), the daughter of Queen Silvia of Sweden, and her sister Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden leave the cemetery after the funeral of Queen Silvia's older brother Joerg Sommerlath in Heidelberg, Germany, Friday, 24 February 2006. Sommerlath died of cancer at the age of 64 in a hospital in Aachen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom