Death of Queen Elizabeth II - Lying-in-State, Edinburgh and London

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't see today's ceremonies live, so I missed the commentary by the experts. Could anyone please kindly explain what the roles of the Duke of Hamilton and the Duke of Buccleuch are and why they were in attendance today?

Not sure re Duke of Buccleuth but Duke of Hamilton is the senior peer in Scotland, as well as keeper of the palace of holyrood and bearer of the Crown of Scotland. He placed the crown on the coffin.

I couldn't see today's ceremonies live, so I missed the commentary by the experts. Could anyone please kindly explain what the roles of the Duke of Hamilton and the Duke of Buccleuch are and why they were in attendance today?
The Duke of Buccleuch is the Captain-General of the Royal Company of Archers.

Extraordinary scenes form Edinburgh. Very paired back ceremonial. No music, not even a piper, just horses hooves & marching feet. Stark but deeply moving.

The Royal Mile is a fascinating medieval relic. One of the great thoroughfares of Europe. So intimate for such an occasion.

How lovely that the people of Edinburgh are able to farewell the Queen of Scots, to use the ancient romantic title.

Modern hearse aside these are scenes straight out of the C16th. Quite remarkble.

There are no words for the beauty of this psalm sung in the ancient tongue of the Gaels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Edinburgh and I know the Royal Mile looked its best today. I also appreciated the quiet and dignity of the journey to St Giles. I agree the sung psalm was beautiful. My great-grandmother spoke Scots Gaelic but it wasn't passed down to my father, although he spoke the Doric dialect of north-east Scotland whenever he was on the phone to his siblings.

I hope I don't offend anyone by saying I'm pleased the Queen died at Balmoral because I think it would have been her wish to grant her beloved Scotland the honour of being such an important and poignant part of her last journey.

Watching the royal vigil at St. Giles, and Richard Quest on CNN just called Edward 'the Count of Wessex'. He's British. You'd think he'd know better. Or that he would bring a cheat sheet to remind him of the basics.

Watching the royal vigil at St. Giles, and Richard Quest on CNN just called Edward 'the Count of Wessex'. He's British. You'd think he'd know better. Or that he would bring a cheat sheet to remind him of the basics.

As things go that is pretty good going IMO - Earl is an odd one as wives are "Countess" and almost every other country with titles uses Count rather than Earl.
I've seen them referred to as The Duke of Wessex and the Duke of Essex amongst many other things!

King Charles III, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward Joins Queen's Coffin Procession

Photos:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hearse-ahead-sombre-procession-Edinburgh.html

I'm a bit surprised that the king didn't walk in the middle. Should the order have been eihter:
Edward - Anne - Charles - Andrew (as in position: 4 - 2 - 1 - 3) OR
Andrew - Charles - Anne - Edward (3 - 1 - 2 - 4)?

As things go that is pretty good going IMO - Earl is an odd one as wives are "Countess" and almost every other country with titles uses Count rather than Earl.
I've seen them referred to as The Duke of Wessex and the Duke of Essex amongst many other things!

Shouldn't he be called the Earl of Forfar in Scotland?

Does anyone know the name of the hymn that the choir was singing when the late queen was carried into St. Giles Cathedral? It was lovely.

Thanks in advance!

Oh 100% yes....but if they can't get a title he has had for 20+ years I won't even begin to expect them to get one he has had 3 years. Really you'd think the media would have honed up on this in the past two or three days.

I'm a bit surprised that the king didn't walk in the middle. Should the order have been eihter:

They walked in birth order from left to right. Charles, Anne, Andrew, then Edward.

Does anyone know the name of the hymn that the choir was singing when the late queen was carried into St. Giles Cathedral? It was lovely.

Thanks in advance!

“Thou Wilt Keep Him in Perfect Peace, Whose Mind is Stayed on Thee”.

They walked in birth order from left to right. Charles, Anne, Andrew, then Edward.

That was clear to me. Normally they would walk in order of precedence, which is why I made my comment. Now either Anne or Andrew (depending on which one is considered the central position) walked in the most prominent position.

Saw some pictures and videos of the vigil of the princes (with The Princess Royal taking part as well - just like the funeral of her father, she is treated as if she is a prince/male). The king was placed at the side where the public was walking past the coffin (head). Anne and Edward were on the side and Andrew facing away from the public. Charles changed from his uniform into his 'Scottish' outfit with a kilt he wore earlier in the day.

That was clear to me. Normally they would walk in order of precedence, which is why I made my comment. Now either Anne or Andrew (depending on which one is considered the central position) walked in the most prominent position.

Perhaps they don't care about precedence at a time like this. This isn't the state opening of Parliament or some other royal function.

The Order of Service of today's Service of Thanksgiving to the Life of the Queen is available on royal.gov.uk.

I noticed that next to the reading by the First Minister (of Scotland I assume) the epistle reading is done by the Catholic archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh. The Gospel reading is done by the 'Primus' of the Scottish Episcopal Church - which was to be expected. But by including the Catholic archbishop as well they are making it more ecumenical. Another interesting participant was 'a Commonwealth student from Nigeria'. I wonder whether we will see more of such Commonwealth nods in the funeral next Monday.

The Order of Service of today's Service of Thanksgiving to the Life of the Queen is available on royal.gov.uk.

I noticed that next to the reading by the First Minister (of Scotland I assume) the epistle reading is done by the Catholic archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh. The Gospel reading is done by the 'Primus' of the Scottish Episcopal Church - which was to be expected. But by including the Catholic archbishop as well they are making it more ecumenical. Another interesting participant was 'a Commonwealth student from Nigeria'. I wonder whether we will see more of such Commonwealth nods in the funeral next Monday.

I noticed that too. I would think we'll definitely see nods to the Commonwealth and also to non-Protestant communities within the UK.

I was watching the lying in State at St Giles until late last night,I was observing how some made a sign of the cross and others a deep bow how curtsy to the coffin.
Mourners queued all night to pay their respects.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-62879795

I've been watching the vigil at St Giles. I love the simplicity and the solemnity of it. About half an hour ago, four Knights of the Thistle joined the vigil for a while.
People walk past quite slowly and some linger for a moment (I think it may be a much more rushed business in London, where a huge number of people is expected).

Thanks in advance!

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace… Also sung at the coronations in 1937 and 1953.

I was a bit surprised to not see The King walked alone before his siblings… The funeral procession of George V shows Edward VIII walking in front of his 3 brothers… But maybe they that is optional for The King to decide ?

”Earl of Wessex and Forfar” is the correct style i belive as it is 2 titles of the same rank ?

It’s being reported that the Prince and Princess of Wales will also be present when The King and Queen receive Her Majesty’s coffin at Buckingham Palace.

And also, that after some time in the Bow Room, the coffin will then be moved to the Throne Room and the Palace staff will have an opportunity to pay their respects.

Last edited:
If it has to be moved to the Throne Room later I don't see why placing it into the Bow Room first.

If it has to be moved to the Throne Room later I don't see why placing it into the Bow Room first.

For her son King Charles to mourn privately while in the Bow Room, and then for staff to pay their respects as their Sovereign when in the Thone Room.

The Queen's coffin has left St Giles' cathedral and it's heading to Edinburgh's airport.

One thing that always amazes me about these proceedings is the level of organization on show. So many people pulled together at such short notice, and all performing their roles with utmost accuracy and attention to detail.

The young men carrying the coffin at the airport right now - I know they have probably spent the last few days rehearsing - but I'm still amazed at how neat and cautious and coordinated they are. I'm not sure I could ever carry out a responsibility like that - I would be terrified of messing up.

Everyone has done a fantastic job.

Yes, it’s all gone off perfectly. All the lads carrying the coffin look so young. What an honour for them.

I was a bit surprised to not see The King walked alone before his siblings… The funeral procession of George V shows Edward VIII walking in front of his 3 brothers… But maybe they that is optional for The King to decide ?

”Earl of Wessex and Forfar” is the correct style i belive as it is 2 titles of the same rank ?

At the funeral for the Duke of Edinburgh they had Charles and Anne walking up front with Andrew and Edward right behind them.

Regarding the title. The Royal Family typically uses their Scottish title when in Scotland - even when that title is of a lower rank (for example formerly William and Catherine would use 'Duke/Duchess' in most of the UK but 'Earl/Countess' in Scotland. So, along that line I wondered whether Edward, who normally is called 'Earl of Wessex' (leaving out the Forfar) should be called 'Earl of Forfar' in Scotland.

Pallbearers so far:

Balmoral estate workers (presumably)
Royal Regiment of Scotland
RAF Regiment

A Globemaster! Very fitting that the former Commander in Chief should take her last flight on an air force plane.

FAREWELL to the Highlands, farewell to the North,
The birth-place of Valour, the country of Worth;
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.

Farewell to the mountains, high-cover'd with snow,
Farewell to the straths and green vallies below;
Farewell to the forests and wild-hanging woods,
Farewell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods.
My heart's in the Highlands,

Robert Burns

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom