Death of Queen Elizabeth II - Pre-Funeral Discussion and Reception

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Several large chains of shops have said that they'll be closed on the day of the funeral.

Would that not be normal on a National Holiday? Here everything is closed except for bakeries and confectioneries

Confirmations from Sweden, Norway and Denmark is still missing. But I suppose the monarchs of these countries will also be present.

Well as to the Danish Royal Family, Frederik is scheduled for quite a few events in NYC in connection with the UNGA on 9/19. He is scheduled to be there from 9/19 to 9/22. IF he goes to this funeral with QMII then that means one of 2 things, Mary (since apparently the invitation does not include her) will go early to NYC in Frederik's place on 9/19 (She was not scheduled to arrive in NYC until 9/21 to join him) and Princess Bendikte steps in as Ringforsteander (sp). Unless Frederik has to blow off his events all together and Mary then in Head of State. Lots of juggling of schedules going on. I am sure the Swedish and Norwegian royals are having to juggle their calendars as well.

Former monarchs

The reason for former monarchs also attending is due to them being in the guest list as knights of the garter, also those with high orders also i.e Order of the Bath etc have received their invitations. ( so we may see a random royal too!)

I live in Windsor ( weekdays for work and then escape to the coast on weekends but stayed this weekend) and I’ve never seen so many people pass my house all day. When walking the dogs early this morning the flowers were lovely ( too much plastic for my liking) and the smell glorious and they are being laid constantly , I pity the poor gardeners in the coming weeks

Would that not be normal on a National Holiday? Here everything is closed except for bakeries and confectioneries

Large shops yes, on all Bank Holidays except Christmas Day we are able to get milk, bread, newspapers etc from smaller convenience stores. Some convenience stores are part of the chain so this announcement might see them close as if it were Christmas.

The part about GP surgeries closing and appointments being cancelled did alarm me, it’s hard enough to get medical attention when you need it when they’re open and none of us can control when we’re taken ill.

The reason for former monarchs also attending is due to them being in the guest list as knights of the garter, also those with high orders also i.e Order of the Bath etc have received their invitations. ( so we may see a random royal too!)

I live in Windsor ( weekdays for work and then escape to the coast on weekends but stayed this weekend) and I’ve never seen so many people pass my house all day. When walking the dogs early this morning the flowers were lovely ( too much plastic for my liking) and the smell glorious and they are being laid constantly , I pity the poor gardeners in the coming weeks

Thanks, Bede.

That makes sense for Princess Beatrix and King Juan Carlos, but King Albert is not a Knight of the Garter and was apparently invited too.

King Felipe and Queen Letizia will attend the funeral, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofía have been invited but have not yet decided.

The Spanish Royal House confirms that the Netherlands and Belgium have also received invitations for their previous monarchs, and Denmark for the crown prince (they have said this because Juan Carlos's "friends" were already creating problems in the press).

https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/50...-a-falta-de-que-don-juan-carlos-decida-si-va/

Maybe the article changed but it now states that Juan Carlos and Sofia will also attend.

Is King Albert attending? The Belgian Royal Court have only confirmed King Philippe and Queen Mathilde so far haven't they?

Is King Albert attending? The Belgian Royal Court have only confirmed King Philippe and Queen Mathilde so far haven't they?

We don't know if he is attending, but the Spanish press claims that both he and Princess Beatrix were officially invited. Princess Beatrix's attendance of course has already been confirmed.

The website of the Belgian monarchy indeed only mentions King Philippe and Queen Mathilde attending the funeral.

https://www.monarchie.be/fr/agenda/funerailles-de-sa-majeste-la-reine-elizabeth-ii-0

Last edited:
Several large chains of shops have said that they'll be closed on the day of the funeral.

I'd imagine the UK will almost come to a standstill next Monday!

Former Irish President Mary McAleese has paid tribute to Queen Elizabeth II
"Through His Excellency, the British Ambassador to Ireland, Paul Johnston, I have today offered my condolences on the death of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, to her family and the people of the United Kingdom to whom she gave such faithful and dignified service for many decades," said Mrs McAleese.

"The people of Ireland will fondly remember her historic visit in 2011 when her presence and her words did so much to cement a culture of reconciliation and partnership between these islands.
"The warm welcome she received underlined the great desire of the Irish people, a desire strongly reciprocated by Her Majesty, The Queen, for good neighbourly relationships to flourish between us.

"Let us hope that legacy, in which she invested so much, will be honoured and realised."

Mrs McAleese was president of Ireland from 1997 to 2011.

The Swedish Royal Court updated their calendar and removed the King and Queen's work events on Sunday (Crown Princess Victoria goes to the planned concert in the evening) and Monday. No official press release about the funeral yet.

The Swedish Royal Court updated their calendar and removed the King and Queen's work events on Sunday (Crown Princess Victoria goes to the planned concert in the evening) and Monday. No official press release about the funeral yet.

I have no doubt the KIng and Queen of Sweden will be in London for the funeral on Monday.

I understand there will be a reception at BP on Sunday for visiting Heads of State, though I have yet to see the details.

It would have been extremely surprising if they hadn't made it but it's nice to see it confirmed.

A lot of shops are open on "normal" bank holidays to catch those who are off work and even shops like John Lewis were open all throughout the Jubilee, so it's nice to see that they're closing for a number of reasons.

The current US president will be the only one arriving by the car, everyone else will take the bus.

The current US president will be the only one arriving by the car, everyone else will take the bus.

Could you provide a reference for that information?

By the way, Sky News has just informed that invitations were not sent to the presidents of the Russian Federation and of Belarus.

Last edited:
Pretty odd if US president is the only one arrive by car among the head of states, it's like he's the special guest, but well, for security concern.

By the way, Sky News has just informed that invitations were not sent to the presidents of the Russian Federation and of Belarus.

IMO great to hear that.

Shops usually open on Bank Holidays, as do garden centres and various other places. They only close on Christmas Day. So it's a big mark of respect that they're going to close on the day of the funeral.

Charles must be exhausted. He's been backwards and forwards between London and Scotland, attending services and meeting the Prime Minister and representatives of Commonwealth countries, and now he's off to Northern Ireland.

Any news about who is attending from Monaco?

Any news about who is attending from Monaco?

There is still no information about Monaco's presence at the funeral.

King Tupou VI of Tonga has confirmed that he will attend Queen Elizabeth’s funeral

Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa also confirmed his presence at the funeral. He will be accompanied by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, João Gomes Cravinho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you provide a reference for that information?

The times says so and other media say so. I’m not good with adding links so you can type US president gets to bring the beast.

I guess Crown Princess Mary attends because Elizabeth II was the head of state in her homeland and she want to say goodbye her.

The times says so and other media say so. I’m not good with adding links so you can type US president gets to bring the beast.

There has never been any doubt that the POTUS would arrive by car. As discussed before, he would not be allowed to travel by bus. My curiosity is about the second claim in your post that he is the only Head of State arriving by car.

I am also curious to know if an exception will be made to allow the POTUS to use Marine One to get from wherever Air Force One will be landing into London. As I understand, in principle no helicopter traffic will be allowed.

Last edited:
I've read that the presidents of France and Israel would also be able to use their own transportation for security reasons.

There has never been any doubt that the POTUS would arrive by car. As discussed before, he would not be allowed to travel by bus. My curiosity is about the second claim in your post that he is the only Head of State arriving by car.

I am also curious to know if an exception will be made to allow the POTUS to use Marine One to get from wherever Air Force One will be landing into London. As I understand, in principle no helicopter traffic will be allowed.
You could be right, but I’ve heard only heard reports on the US president taking the beast. I can’t comment on other heads of state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom