Diana and James Hewitt

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He is 62 and living with his elderly mother in Devon, England. He works as a gardener for the grounds of the estate they are living in, earning $5,500 annually. He is reported worth 3 million in 2021. If you look up the word 'cad' in the Webster's Dictionary you will find a picture of him.

I don't think he was a gentleman in how he treated his relationship with Diana all those years ago but any man that is worth 3 million and lives a quiet life and taking care of his elderly mother means something in my book.

Oh to be young and stupid again. I can't throw stones at Hewitt as I'm not overly proud of some of the things I did 30 some years ago either. ?

I don't think he was a gentleman in how he treated his relationship with Diana all those years ago but any man that is worth 3 million and lives a quiet life and taking care of his elderly mother means something in my book.

Oh to be young and stupid again. I can't throw stones at Hewitt as I'm not overly proud of some of the things I did 30 some years ago either. ?

he's worth £3M because of the money he made out of his relationship with Diana. And he has little option but to lead a quiet life..

If he really has £3M I dont know why he is working.. He has been ill and has an elderly mother to look after.. I can't see any real need for him to work...

Last edited:
he's worth £3M because of the money he made out of his relationship with Diana. And he has little option but to lead a quiet life..

If he really has £3M I dont know why he is working.. He has been ill and has an elderly mother to look after.. I can't see any real need for him to work...

IIRC, Hewitt's medical problems were connected to the heart. It's not uncommon for someone that has had heart trouble to be advised to do some kind of activity such as walking to improve heart function. He may be doing gardening for just that. $5,500 annually (as stated in a previous post) isn't a job but more of a paid pastime. He may enjoy that work.

Then again, if he has 3M, he could have moved himself and his mum out of the cottage. Perhaps she insists on living there. Us older women get really attached to our homes at times. ?

possibly, I'm surprised that he has £3M left but I suppose it might be left over from all the money he made out of Diana and he has finally given up on trying to make more money out of the connection and is settled down to a quiet life.. .
I would have said that he could get a bit of gentle exercise walking and riding and taking care of his mother..

It may be surprising to hear of £3M in retirement, however if you recall as just about everyone does, the stipend received for Princess in Love. Hindsight being 20/20.. had he negotiated no advance, but instead signed for 15% of book sales, his net worth today would be well higher than £3M.

Country estates in the UK today seem a little more affordable than other parts of Europe. What the future holds for him, is impossible to predict.

https://www.onthemarket.com/content/onthemanor-ten-wonderful-country-properties/

Last edited:
Hewitt owned a restaurant some years and went bankrupt. The $$$ comes from his mother's estate perhaps, he squandered his money and was trying to sell Diana's letters but nobody would buy. He then did rather embarrassing TV appearances and reality shows where some of his current income may come from.He was involved with wealthy women after Diana and did not say no when Diana brought him gifts. He's not a nice person. IMO.

Hewitt owned a restaurant some years and went bankrupt. The $$$ comes from his mother's estate perhaps, he squandered his money and was trying to sell Diana's letters but nobody would buy. He then did rather embarrassing TV appearances and reality shows where some of his current income may come from.He was involved with wealthy women after Diana and did not say no when Diana brought him gifts. He's not a nice person. IMO.

Where would his Mother get money like htat?? They were not a rich family. And while he made plenty of money out of Diana, he lost a lot as well. I doubt if he has £3M but if he has, its come from sellng her out.

I think his mother has been able to live comfortably and has some income. The media fortunately has lost interest in him, and he is not going on TV Thankfully. He could have made an honest living and it was a big mistake to sell out Diana that way.

I think his mother has been able to live comfortably and has some income. The media fortunately has lost interest in him, and he is not going on TV Thankfully. He could have made an honest living and it was a big mistake to sell out Diana that way.

She does not have anything like £3M unless Hewitt made over money to her. He was an army officer, I think his father was too. Tehy're not a wealthy family, hence his habit of going after rich women....

She could have invested more wisely than he did should he have given her some of the money. I can't help but think what she thought of her son selling out Diana. Supposedly she was very nice to Diana when she visited her.

She could have invested more wisely than he did should he have given her some of the money. I can't help but think what she thought of her son selling out Diana. Supposedly she was very nice to Diana when she visited her.
Possibly.. but I doubt if they have that much money. I dont think that Hewitt did that well from his books, and his bar went bust. So I doubt if he ever had anything like £3m to give to his mother...
I dont blame her for wanting a bit of financial security - but I hope she doesn't approve of his behaviour towards Diana.

It may be surprising to hear of £3M in retirement, however if you recall as just about everyone does, the stipend received for Princess in Love. Hindsight being 20/20.. had he negotiated no advance, but instead signed for 15% of book sales, his net worth today would be well higher than £3M.

Country estates in the UK today seem a little more affordable than other parts of Europe. What the future holds for him, is impossible to predict.

https://www.onthemarket.com/content/onthemanor-ten-wonderful-country-properties/

if he had £3M left, he could have paid off his debts rather than going bankrupt.

Oh poor poor dear, how terrible. Didnt he make enough money selling his story and writing his books? And appearing on TV and being in all kinds of shows.

No need to jump on me, thank you. The whole business of him making money off Diana was - according to him - due to the fact he was unemployable after their relationship had become public. He claimed this, not me. I am just adding what he said.

No need to jump on me, thank you. The whole business of him making money off Diana was - according to him - due to the fact he was unemployable after their relationship had become public. He claimed this, not me. I am just adding what he said.
Im sorry you feel I was "jumping on you"...s uch was not my intention.. of course he was going to say that he had no option about using Diana's letters to make money.. but since he was the one who had publicised their relationship, i hardly think he had much of a case.....

He was not forced to sell her out, he did this of his own volition. Nobody is truly unemployable. He just wanted the "good life" and saw $$$. He could have supported himself somehow.

He had an army pension.. He wasn't rich and neither was his family, but if he had not revealed the affair, he could have probably found other employment like other ex army officers. |But he wanted more and was willing to sell Diana out to get it.

He had an army pension.. He wasn't rich and neither was his family, but if he had not revealed the affair, he could have probably found other employment like other ex army officers. |But he wanted more and was willing to sell Diana out to get it.

But isn't the opposite true that Diana sold Hewitt out, disassociating from him mere days upon his return, at a time when divorce proceedings were drawing closer. You mentioned several times, that she needed to be extremely careful of her public image and relations ongoing with the RF heavily weighed, if chance of a proper settlement was to occur. Would it be reasonable to conclude therefore, that Hewitt was in that light, expendable, some might call him.. collateral damage ?

Last edited:
Diana did not sell Hewitt out. The divorce of Charles and Diana was in 1996. But that time, Diana was serious about Hasnet Khan. Diana and Hewitt broke up in 1991. He was in her circle as friends after that but in 1995 (1994?) Diana stopped seeing him or contacting him. At that point, Hewitt sold out Diana to Pasternack for a tell all book. Hewitt had letters from Diana that he was hawking but nobody purchased. Diana did admit she was involved with Hewitt in the Bashir interview. Diana still got a generous settlement for the divorce. Hewitt DID sell Diana out, for $$$$. Diana can't be blamed for his own shortcoming and shall I say, greed. Diana probably was thankful she did not marry him. If she had left Charles for Hewitt, she probably would have lost a lot of access to their sons and been a "bolter." And the man proved he was not worth the trouble,

Last edited:
But isn't the opposite true that Diana sold Hewitt out, disassociating from him mere days upon his return, at a time when divorce proceedings were drawing closer. You mentioned several times, that she needed to be extremely careful of her public image and relations ongoing with the RF heavily weighed, if chance of a proper settlement was to occur. Would it be reasonable to conclude therefore, that Hewitt was in that light, expendable, some might call him.. collateral damage ?

I dont know when Hewitt returned from the war, but Diana did not get a divorce until 1996.. so I doubt it. By then, Hewitt had revealed his affair and collaborated in a book and was justifiably disliked by most people.

And given that yes, she HAD to be discreet, Hewitts indiscretion clearly showed that maintaining a relationship wit her was not his priortiy, making money was.

According to Colin Campbell and Hewitt himself, Diana cut Hewitt off because he went away to serve in the war, something she had begged him not to do.

She took his decision to serve as a form of abandonment, of disloyalty, of choosing militarily service over her.:sad:

I'd take anything Lady Colin Campbell says with a very large pinch of salt. How that woman does annoy me! I've just been watching a programme about the Queen Mother, in which Lady CC repeatedly referred to the Queen as "Lilibet". Who does she think she is, her best friend?! And I definitely wouldn't believe a word James Hewitt says!

James Hewitt was a career soldier. He went to Sandhurst and then went straight into the Army. If you're in the Army, you can't say that you're not going to war - it rather defeats the object of the job. It would be extremely odd if Diana had thought he was abandoning her, when he'd been in the Army since long before they'd even met.

According to Colin Campbell and Hewitt himself, Diana cut Hewitt off because he went away to serve in the war, something she had begged him not to do.

She took his decision to serve as a form of abandonment, of disloyalty, of choosing militarily service over her.:sad:

that is completely wrong.. She broke with JH because he chose to go to Germany for training courses.. and in fact got back with him again when he was engaged in the Gulf war.

I'd take anything Lady Colin Campbell says with a very large pinch of salt. How that woman does annoy me! I've just been watching a programme about the Queen Mother, in which Lady CC repeatedly referred to the Queen as "Lilibet". Who does she think she is, her best friend?! And I definitely wouldn't believe a word James Hewitt says!

James Hewitt was a career soldier. He went to Sandhurst and then went straight into the Army. If you're in the Army, you can't say that you're not going to war - it rather defeats the object of the job. It would be extremely odd if Diana had thought he was abandoning her, when he'd been in the Army since long before they'd even met.

I agree 100% about CC. She has been dining out on her(very) brief time as a daughter in law in the aristocratic Argyll clan for years.

And i shouldn't be shocked that she dared to refer to HMQ as "Lilibet".. but I am.:ohmy:

As for Diana, I was not repeating the story as gospel....only an idea as to why she eventually cut off Hewitt. Diana's selfishness was one of her least endearing traits. She reportedly became unhinged when married lover Oliver Hoare refused to forsake his wife and children to marry her.

So no....it wouldn't shock me to know that she dumped Hewitt because he didn't put her ahead of his military career ambitions.

She broke up iwht him. He had right to go for his training if he wanted to, but its hardly surprising that she felt abandoned and broke off the affair.
. She had a right to do so, and when he betrayed her by selling thier story to the world, she had a right to cut him off completely I' think any woman would be hurt frightened and angry at his behaviour.. I can't believe that anyone would blame her for finishing with him for good, when he sold her out....
She didn't "cut him off" because he went to war.... at all.

Last edited:
They got together in 1991 then broke up again. So it was not "over" when he was deployed. Though the relationship did run its course in 1991.

I remember reading in various places that Diana did not want Hewitt to go to the Gulf. She wanted to use her position as the Princess of Wales to exempt him from going and Hewitt refused to let her. Diana didn't ever like to be crossed when she had "plans" for a relationship. Khan also was not amused that Diana sought out a position for him in South Africa.

Nobody likes other people making decisions for them and Diana did like to do that in various relationships. She wanted things to go her way a lot of the times and resented being told "no".

I remember reading in various places that Diana did not want Hewitt to go to the Gulf. She wanted to use her position as the Princess of Wales to exempt him from going and Hewitt refused to let her. Diana didn't ever like to be crossed when she had "plans" for a relationship. Khan also was not amused that Diana sought out a position for him in South Africa.

Nobody likes other people making decisions for them and Diana did like to do that in various relationships. She wanted things to go her way a lot of the times and resented being told "no".

This is not the case and I've said it many times. Diana had broken up with James over the issue of his wanting to go to Germany for special training. She got BACK with him when he was deployed in the Gulf and was very proud of him.. She did break up with him afterwards because he began to drop hints about their relationship whne he was on active service and he was clearrly working up to going to the papers with his story...

Your memory is probably a whole lot better than mine is these days, Denville, so I'll concede this point. :D

All these different relationships, whilst she was still officially married. I don't blame either her or Charles for being unfaithful, because their marriage was effectively over by the late 1980s, but he's vilified for resuming his relationship with Camilla, which he's insisted didn't happen until the marriage had irretrievably broken down, and yet Diana is never criticised for her infidelities.

Back
Top Bottom