Diana, Princess of Wales: Statue Unveiling - July 1st 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is an article on The Sunday Times speculating and analysing whether the unveiling of Diana's statue will put William and Harry on good terms. At one point, Roya Nikkhah wrote that Prince of Wales will not be attending the unveiling instead he will be at an official visit to Canada.

Can William and Harry ever patch things up?
The brothers used to speak as one over the memory of their mother. Now, barely on nodding terms, they will issue separate tributes as they unveil a statue of Diana on what would have been her 60th birthday
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/can-william-and-harry-ever-patch-things-up-qd85wbd3f

Archive link: https://archive.ph/BFTmz

Its not about them, any of htem, so I hope they will be civil to each other, and just honour their mother...

This should be a tribute to Diana and nothing more. It is a pity that the William/Harry situation must be rehashed during this time by the media. A very special time for Diana's family and close friends.

Its not about them, any of htem, so I hope they will be civil to each other, and just honour their mother...

Hopefully so. (They managed for Philip’s funeral- though I don’t particularly agree with Harry in the aftermath talking about HIS anxiety. It wasn’t about him. So- hopefully the lead up, event and aftermath will be at least as civil and quiet as is possible. At least from their own mouths.)

I do think it’s unfortunate that there will apparently be 2 speeches. My guess is if they’d been getting along there would be one.

William and Harry did separate speeches about their mother. Harry gave a speech about Diana at the Diana Memorial (2007) And both William and Harry both spoke separately at the Diana Concert (2007) and both gave their points of view separately at the 2007 and 2017 tributes to Diana. Even if all were great, I think they would still do separate speeches.

William and Harry did separate speeches about their mother. Harry gave a speech about Diana at the Diana Memorial (2007) And both William and Harry both spoke separately at the Diana Concert (2007) and both gave their points of view separately at the 2007 and 2017 tributes to Diana. Even if all were great, I think they would still do separate speeches.

Ok. I really have no idea what their track record is on joint statements/speeches versus separate. Just that they have issued joint ones in the past.

That said- these (assuming there are 2 speeches) will be picked apart by the media just like their other recent separate statements have been- ie- Philip’s passing and the recent Martin Bashir revelations. They can’t control that, of course, but it is a consequence of it being such public knowledge that they’re on the outs.

Ok. I really have no idea what their track record is on joint statements/speeches versus separate. Just that they have issued joint ones in the past.

That said- these (assuming there are 2 speeches) will be picked apart by the media just like their other recent separate statements have been- ie- Philip’s passing and the recent Martin Bashir revelations. They can’t control that, of course, but it is a consequence of it being such public knowledge that they’re on the outs.

To expect any co-ordination between the offices of William and Harry in relation to the speeches is unlikely, so safest, IMO, to let them speak independently.

If I were William, I would be inclined to let Harry go first, and then modulate my speech to broadly be complementary to Harry's speech. The reverse is unlikely to happen.

To expect any co-ordination between the offices of William and Harry in relation to the speeches is unlikely, so safest, IMO, to let them speak independently.

If I were William, I would be inclined to let Harry go first, and then modulate my speech to broadly be complementary to Harry's speech. The reverse is unlikely to happen.
I had a similar though muriel. Or William's speech reflects more of "My brother and I" and "we" in the text.

I had a similar though muriel. Or William's speech reflects more of "My brother and I" and "we" in the text.

William will need to tread carefully. Harry and Meghan will be waiting to take umbrage, and so managing them such that the day is about Diana and not these squabbles will be key.

Yes it is a Diana tribute memorial and should be about her. My opinion is she would regard her sons situation now with distain, she raised them to be loving.

In their most recent separate speeches after Bashsir's BBC revelations:
Prince Wiliam in his statement he used the words “My mother” and “my parents”.
Prince Harry, on the other hand, used the words “Our mother”.
And also, William and Harry have given separate statements in the past. The press is just trying to hype this one.

Last edited:
William will need to tread carefully. Harry and Meghan will be waiting to take umbrage, and so managing them such that the day is about Diana and not these squabbles will be key.

It's a two way street, William may take "umbrage" himself. Harry has taken "umbrage" not just his wife.

I understand your thinking but still remain hopeful that this will not be the case and that the focus will remain on the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

I understand your thinking but still remain hopeful that this will not be the case and that the focus will remain on the late Diana, Princess of Wales.
Well the focus will be the relationship between the brothers, and interpreting any eye movement or gesture !

The way things are set up to go now will kind of put to a minimum anything that can be construed as impacting the relationship between the brothers. It's going to be short and sweet with each brother probably making a speech and the statue unveiled and it'll be over and done.

There's also going to be minimal media coverage if I've read things right.

I think William will be civil, but distant, throughout the event.
He'll stick to pleasantries, and not much of them, and get away from Harry as soon as possible.

It'll be the old: Keep calm, and carry on.

I don’t believe that Harry wants to hang around William either. I think they’ll both go home to their families after the ceremony.

Last edited:
If its going to be like that, It will be very unpleasant.

I don’t believe that Harry wants to hang around William either. I think they’ll both go home to their families after the ceremony.

And that is absolutely fine.

Can't wait for Harry's PR to start briefing about the event the moment it is over!

And that is absolutely fine.

Can't wait for Harry's PR to start briefing about the event the moment it is over!

As will all the British tabloids with articles criticising Harry’s speech, appearance, demeanour etc etc.

As will all the British tabloids with articles criticising Harry’s speech, appearance, demeanour etc etc.

I am sure Omid will do their bidding. Perhaps the solution for H&M is to only interact with those journalists that print what they are told to.

I am sure Omid will do their bidding. Perhaps the solution for H&M is to only interact with those journalists that print what they are told to.
But they made it very clear ages ago that that was what they wnated to do. And yes other royals want good press. They dont like journalists and they wish they'd all go away.. but they know they have to work iwth them.... so they do it..

There would be about two journalists who try to desist from criticising the Sussexes very day, in comparison to the Royal rota, a dozen staff journalists on all the tabloids, the talking heads on radio, the ‘royal experts’ on all the YouTube royal Roundups each week, and the British TV hosts etc.

There would be about two journalists who try to desist from criticising the Sussexes very day, in comparison to the Royal rota, a dozen staff journalists on all the tabloids, the talking heads on radio, the ‘royal experts’ on all the YouTube royal Roundups each week, and the British TV hosts etc.

My own sense is that you know you are doing something wrong when you manage to unite the entire British press corps, tabloid or mainstream, against you.

My own sense is that you know you are doing something wrong when you manage to unite the entire British press corps, tabloid or mainstream, against you.
But he has a friendly journalist!

Or the British Press Corps likes to leap on anything they consider controversial about public figures and whips up the controversy for clickbait whenever they can. They expected the Sussexes to cower to them and be their butts for the next forty years of royal life. The couple left them to it however and moved elsewhere.

There would be far less for anyone to say if the Sussexes said less. Going at least back to the Africa interview. Which is where Harry first saw fit to confirm the rumors that he and William weren’t getting along. He fueled the fire, which lead to even more attention….all the way up to Diana’s statue unveiling now because EVERYONE knows they’re not getting along. It sure didn’t help matters imo.

Anyway- this should be a short event and then everyone can go home rather quickly if they wish. Hopefully it will go well.

Last edited:
Posts about private jets and commercial airplanes have been deleted. This thread is about the unveiling of the statue of the late Princess of Wales. Not about the aviation industry.

Neither is it about the British press corps.

Please return to the topic of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom