Diana's Jewels: Potential Division Between William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If there was a divorce would the wives be able to stake claim on her properties that are now privately owned by the boys. How will that work?

The Court Jeweller

Today The Court Jeweller featured Diana's Omani Sapphire Suite. Some of the commenters thought it looked dated, but I like its sleekness.

I was wondering if these jewels along with the other pieces gifted to The Princess of Wales by various heads of state are inherited by William and Harry or revert to the Crown? Or stay with Charles? Did Diana retain these jewels after her divorce? I tried a "search" here about the rules pertaining to such gifts but it didn't provide my answer.
When Diana was "HRH The Princess of Wales" any gift she received from any source, whether or not in an official capacity, was her personal property. That was the policy AT THAT TIME. Sarah, Sophie, and the rest of the royal ladies had the same "benefit."

After Diana's death, and Charles's marriage to Camilla, the press made quite a bit of a stink at the number of jewels Camilla received on her first Gulf tour. It was after this that a new policy came into effect: any gift given to a royal on official duty could be used by that royal for their lifetime. After that, the items would become part of the royal collection. I'm not sure if that is retroactive or just from that point forward.

So, under the conditions of the time, any jewelry Diana received during her royal days was hers to keep. As her sons inherited all of her personal property save a few token bequests, they now own those jewels. Diana, did however, return the obvious royal heirlooms to The Queen like the Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Emerald Choker after the divorce.

Yes it would be interesting to know how the boys may divide up the jewels between them. I was always under the impression after Diana's death that Prince Harry inherited the bulk from his mother as Prince William's wife would have the major benefit from the Sovereigns royal collection. And we have seen Her Majesty has lent Catherine some very substantial pieces over the years and long may this continue.
Also Prss Diana had quite a few costume jewellry pieces as well, that would be interesting to see what the boys decide to do with that.

The very important pieces like the 2 big sapphire pendant/brooches, one from the Saudi Crown Prince and the other from the Queen Mother, I believe the boys should declare them as part of the Royal collection, so they can never be sold off or end up with very distant non royal family members.

Jewels are such an important part of Royalty. Firstly most are exquisite works of art and secondly most have a very important provenance.
I remember when The Grand Duke of Luxembourg proposed to sell off some of his mothers jewels and there was a huge protest from the people. It was a wake up call to him how important these beautiful pieces were to the people of Luxembourg.

And we love seeing our Royals wear them.

I was so much looking forward to the future when the Duchess of Sussex was going to be attending the big gala events and Perhaps wearing something of Prince Harry's mother.
Now they have chosen a different path in life, I will admit I am a bit dissappointed.

I will say tho that the Omani sapphire suite is a favourite of mine and I look forward to it being worn again.

Last edited:
Diana, did however, return the obvious royal heirlooms to The Queen like the Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Emerald Choker after the divorce.

My understanding is that, following the divorce, Diana was allowed to keep the royal jewellery (including the Cambridge emerald choker) for her lifetime. The only restrictions were that she was neither allowed to sell or lend out any of the jewellery.

Following her death, some of the jewels were returned, whilst the others were kept to be distributed amongst the boys.

THe aqumarine earrings would lovely on Cathrine, but as Meghan laready has the ring, it is possible they may now be with her.

Catherine had already worn one pair of pearl and diamond earrings from Diana at the BAFTAs last year, it is possible the pair above may have gone to Meghan.

The Court Jeweller

Today The Court Jeweller featured Diana's Omani Sapphire Suite. Some of the commenters thought it looked dated, but I like its sleekness.

I was wondering if these jewels along with the other pieces gifted to The Princess of Wales by various heads of state are inherited by William and Harry or revert to the Crown? Or stay with Charles? Did Diana retain these jewels after her divorce? I tried a "search" here about the rules pertaining to such gifts but it didn't provide my answer.

It is difficult to tell if the Omani suite reverted to the Royal Collection, or are now owned by one of William or Harry.

Given that these were a present from a foreign Head of State, these will now either be part of the Royal Collection, as per rules put in place in 2007 or thereabouts, or are now with William.

I was so much looking forward to the future when the Duchess of Sussex was going to be attending the big gala events and Perhaps wearing something of Prince Harry's mother.
Now they have chosen a different path in life, I will admit I am a bit dissappointed.

I agree, I too, was keen to see Meghan dressed up in heirloom jewellery at royal events.

My sense is that, despite having "chosen a different path in life", we will still get to see Meghan in Diana's jewels from time to time. If for no other reason, it will be a good way to get the press attention, and reinforce their link to Diana in the minds of the American public.

I agree, I too, was keen to see Meghan dressed up in heirloom jewellery at royal events.

My sense is that, despite having "chosen a different path in life", we will still get to see Meghan in Diana's jewels from time to time. If for no other reason, it will be a good way to get the press attention, and reinforce their link to Diana in the minds of the American public.

I have my doubts about this. Even in her time as working royal she barely wore Jewels and if they where very small.

I have my doubts about this. Even in her time as working royal she barely wore Jewels and if they where very small.

In fairness, Meghan was a working royal for less than 18 months. Allowing for time for maternity leave, honeymoon, winter break in 2019, there really were not many royal events that she attended that warranted wearing serious jewels. In that time, she did get to use the "borrowed" diamond chandelier earrings twice.

I think it is shocking that Duchess Catherine has not been seen in the Crown-Prince-Fahd sapphires. What is going on? Where are these jewels now? Also, Lady Di used to shop at Butler & Wilson and some of her jewels were paste. Therefore, it is possible that these paste jewels are with her blood relatives now. To continue, if jewels were given by a country, to Princess Diana, do these jewels belong to the Crown or to Princes William and Harry?

I think it is shocking that Duchess Catherine has not been seen in the Crown-Prince-Fahd sapphires. What is going on? Where are these jewels now? Also, Lady Di used to shop at Butler & Wilson and some of her jewels were paste. Therefore, it is possible that these paste jewels are with her blood relatives now. To continue, if jewels were given by a country, to Princess Diana, do these jewels belong to the Crown or to Princes William and Harry?
I don't find it shocking at all. She would be dragged to pieces for wearing something that was a gift from one of the most oppressive regimes on the planet.

To my knowledge the rules saying that gifts received by the royals while on official duties belong to the Crown were put in place in early 2000 (2003?), so I think the Saudi Sapphire Suite belonged to Princess Diana and now belongs to William and Harry. As for their agreement what pieces belong to whom, nothing was disclosed, so we don't know anything until Catherine or Meghan show up wearing something from their late mother-in-law's collection.

I really do hope that the Cambridge Emerald choker will one day become an addition to the royal collection as the provenance of the piece is very important.
In the meantime I look forward to seeing Catherine wear it depending on the brothers agreement about different pieces.

I've heard that Kate can access just about any jewels that take her fancy from the Royal Collection, with the exception of a few pieces that are reserved for the Queen.
Kate is said to be good friends with Angela Kelly, and only has to say if she decides to wear something.

(I'm not sure how the loan process works for the other royal females).

I really do hope that the Cambridge Emerald choker will one day become an addition to the royal collection as the provenance of the piece is very important.
In the meantime I look forward to seeing Catherine wear it depending on the brothers agreement about different pieces.
If you are referring to this piece, I don't know if it is part of the royal collection per se, but it was not Diana's property, it was The Queen's property and was returned to The Queen upon Diana's death.

:previous: After jewellery belonging to HM and to the POW were returned and William and Harry were invited to keep a piece for remembrance, we do not know what the executors may have done with the rest. Catherine has worn a few pieces, so too Meghan.

HM has no input into the disposition of any part of Diana's personal collection for the simple reason that it did not and do not belong to her. I am hoping we will see a bit more of the collection as we have seen her engagement ring and at least one sapphire set of earrings on Catherine and the Aquamarine ring on Meghan.

It seems to me that the majority of stunning jewellery she wore came from the Royal Collection and, because she wore them often, people assumed they belonged to Diana. Further confusing matters was Diana's penchant for wearing faux bling mixed in with the real deal. Confusing,

If you are referring to this piece, I don't know if it is part of the royal collection per se, but it was not Diana's property, it was The Queen's property and was returned to The Queen upon Diana's death.

I hope you are correct. I looked up Leslie Fields book about the Queens jewels and she writes a good history about the Cambridge emeralds but she doesn't mention what became of the choker after Diana's death.

:previous: After jewellery belonging to HM and to the POW were returned and William and Harry were invited to keep a piece for remembrance, we do not know what the executors may have done with the rest. Catherine has worn a few pieces, so too Meghan.

HM has no input into the disposition of any part of Diana's personal collection for the simple reason that it did not and do not belong to her.

I agree with you, after returning the jewels provided by HM, the rest of the jewels woud have been put in safe keeping for the boys to divide amingst themselves at the right time.

I am hoping we will see a bit more of the collection as we have seen her engagement ring and at least one sapphire set of earrings on Catherine and the Aquamarine ring on Meghan.

We have seen a few pieces on both Catherine and Meghan. Meghan has worn the aqua ring, some bracelets and a pair of butterfly earrings. Catherine has worn the engagement ring, a pearl and diamond bracelet, the Collingwood pearl and diamond earrings and another pair of pearl and diamond earrings worn to the BAFTAs in 2019. I am not sure what sapphire earrings you are referring to as Catherine's "usual" sapphire and diamond earrings are not, IMO, ones Diana has previosuly used.

I've heard that Kate can access just about any jewels that take her fancy from the Royal Collection, with the exception of a few pieces that are reserved for the Queen.
Kate is said to be good friends with Angela Kelly, and only has to say if she decides to wear something.

(I'm not sure how the loan process works for the other royal females).

I assume you are referring to this

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/1...queen-jewellery-borrow-befriend-angela-kelly/

One of those lovely 'palace sources' claim that Angela Kelly (the queen's dresser) has allowed Kate free reign of the queen's jewelry box. That should be taken with a ship load of salt as any info from 'sources' in a tabloid.

The final say on who wears any of the jewels in the royal collection or the queen's personal jewels falls to the queen. Camilla on down would all have to have permission from the queen. Kate may have some flexibility but I don't see her having open reign on shopping through whatever jewels she wants without asking the queen.

Since I didn't refer to any "usual" earrings I'm not sure which ones they are. My point was that both Catherine and Meghan have both worn a few pieces so far. Further to that point, the only "significant" pieces that Catherine has worn are from the Queen's personal collection which, when she eventually becomes Queen, William will own as I am sure that they will be left to the King in a Sovereign to Sovereign transfer.

I believe the Queen will take nothing for granted and continue with her habit of making her private collection available for use at appropriate events. She will never find herself in the same situation as Queen Margrethe who gifted the amazing "Alexandrine Diamond Drop" tiara now lost to the Danish mainline through a divorce.

The Art Deco Cambridge Emerald choker that Diana wore as a tiara belonged to the Queen who gave it to Diana in a lifetime loan. It along with everything else belonging to the Queen was returned to her.

Leslie Fields book The Queens jewels states the Queen gave the Emerald choker to Diana as a wedding gift in 1981. The Queen never wore it herself.

:previous: I assume that was gifted to Diana the same way the Lovers Knot Tiara was gifted, gifted to Diana for her exclusive use and returned upon her death.

P.S.
The following is from the blog From Her Majesty’s Jewel Vault, link:

Since it was a lifetime loan, it returned to the Queen after Diana's death, and has since been exhibited at Buckingham Palace with other pieces of the Queen's jewelry.

Last edited:
You are probably right Qu Claude. I hope that is the case at any rate.

The final say on who wears any of the jewels in the royal collection or the queen's personal jewels falls to the queen. Camilla on down would all have to have permission from the queen. Kate may have some flexibility but I don't see her having open reign on shopping through whatever jewels she wants without asking the queen.

Of course, but the Queen may not care that much.
She has her favorite items, but other than that may not wish to scrutinize the loans that closely.

If certain people are allowed to delve into the collection, the Queen might be fine with whatever they choose to borrow,

She has her favorite items, but other than that may not wish to scrutinize the loans that closely.

If certain people are allowed to delve into the collection, the Queen might be fine with whatever they choose to borrow,

My own sense is the Queen is quite closely involved in who is allowed to borrow what jewellery from her collection. The loans are usually quite carefully calibrated.

Last edited:
I assume you are referring to this

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/1...queen-jewellery-borrow-befriend-angela-kelly/

One of those lovely 'palace sources' claim that Angela Kelly (the queen's dresser) has allowed Kate free reign of the queen's jewelry box. That should be taken with a ship load of salt as any info from 'sources' in a tabloid.

This reminds me of the supposed conflict between Meghan and Eugene. According to reports Meghan wanted to wear the tiara Eugene wore for her wedding for her own wedding. The queen said no.

:previous: Ah no, that was the grand Vladimir Tiara in its emerald configuration, one of HM's rotation and there is no anyone really believed that except the DM.

Im sure the queen DOES care very much. She's harldy going to allow members of the family to just rummage through her jewellery...

Let's get back on topic, which is Diana's jewels, not the Queens.

Back
Top Bottom