Do you think Marie-Chantal has helped her in-laws financially?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duquesita

Commoner
City
Sevilla
Country
Spain
Before Pavlos married MC, it was widely believed in Spain that King JC and Queen Sofía helped King Constantine financially. Matter of fact, the Greek RF spent a lot of time with them in the Palacio de la Zarzuela, with all the kids.

In many books written about King JC this has been suggested, and also the marital problems Constantine and Anne Marie had, which Queen Sofía tried to soften.

But suddenly MC entered the family and this situation somehow stopped. They are not around so often and they seem to live a better off life. Of course kids grew up and had their own lives, but that is what some Spanish journalists suggest.

What do you think?

I have read in several articles, as well as in threads on this forum that MC's father provided her (along with her in-laws) a dowry of several hundred million dollars. My guess is that she has helped the King and Queen financially throughout the years.

doubt it

Like her sisters, MC received a trust fund upon marriage. Nothing seems to have been given by her father to the Greeks, though it would not be known if she took from her own trust to help them out.

They don't live a significantly better lifestyle now than they did before she married in 1995, though (and they presumably still receive handouts from the wealthy Greeks who funded the first thirty years of their current exile).

The only real difference seems to be the increase in Greek vacations instead of Spanish ones, but that can be explained by the Greek government's agreement to allow them to enter the country now.

There's absolutely nothing to show that they are benefiting from the Miller wealth (remember that Anne-Marie would have inherited something from her mother's 2000 death, so increased expenses might be as a result of money from Ingrid than anything from MC).

I always though it was wealthy pro-monarchy Greeks abroad that were funding the GRF pre-MC. I never heard of the Spanish RF helping them out, but then I never heard of the GRF until MC came into their family. I'm sure there was some money transfers between the two families, considering how her parents were always in the picture or the background when RF photos or events were going on. Makes sense to invite "the bankroll".

Though I'm sure no one would ever want it publicized, I have no doubt the Millers have someone helped out the GRF in some capacity. I'm not saying Robt. Miller handed a check to Constantine, but I think there might have been investments and that sort of thing. Why not?

I always though it was wealthy pro-monarchy Greeks abroad that were funding the GRF pre-MC. I never heard of the Spanish RF helping them out, but then I never heard of the GRF until MC came into their family. I'm sure there was some money transfers between the two families, considering how her parents were always in the picture or the background when RF photos or events were going on. Makes sense to invite "the bankroll".

I had read that wealth pro-monarchist Greeks had funded the royal family for decades with I'm sure help from King JC and maybe Queen Margarethe as well. I do think the Miller family funds have helped the family coffers but I think the rumored $200 million went directly to MC and she may have parsed out a decent sized dowry herelf.

well, i read somewhere that they got some paid off when they left greece!and something that they sue the greek goverment and they got so many millons from them, becasue the goverment ttook their properties etc,etc....

When dictator Franco died and democracy came to Spain, in 1975, the Spanish people "decided" to make a shield for the Monarchy, as it was the reference of the new Spain. That shield has lived until a decade or so, when, in the name of freedom of speech and information, the media have started to publish all kind of "secrets" of the Spanish Royal Family. For example, King JC's lovers were revealed, and also some issues about finances in the RF. That's when everybody knew that the Spanish RF had been helping Constantine and his family financially. Matter of fact, it appeared that they almost lived with them for some time, before moving definitely to London.
This was not well received by Spanish people, and at the same time MC entered the family, and everything changed.

I hope I have explained myself well :)

Last edited:
Duqesita, you explained yourself perfectly! Your English is excellent:flowers:

I can definitely understand why the Spanish people objected to this. I would be upset too.

...the media have started to publish all kind of "secrets" of the Spanish Royal Family... and also some issues about finances in the RF. That's when everybody knew that the Spanish RF had been helping Constantine and his family financially.
Do you have a source for this?
If the Spanish Royals were assiting the Greek RF from their own private funds then it's a family matter. If they were using State funds that's something else altogether. Are the facts known, or is it speculation?

Yep, their private funds.

Last edited:
well, i read somewhere that they got some paid off when they left greece!and something that they sue the greek goverment and they got so many millons from them, becasue the goverment ttook their properties etc,etc....
But I thought any money they got as "compensation" from the Greek government went to form the Queen Anne-Marie Foundation to help impoverished greek farmers and the like. Do you think they kept some for themselves instead of putting it all into the foundation? It would certainly explain where the money suddenly came from for QAM's yacht and summer rental properties.

Do you have a source for this?
If the Spanish Royals were assiting the Greek RF from their own private funds then it's a family matter. If they were using State funds that's something else altogether. Are the facts known, or is it speculation?

Ask Manuel at the Franco-Iberian board. He posted something sometime last year about news reports stating JC socked away around 30m, but I don't read Spanish, so I don't have any more information.

I have read (no idea when) that Queen Margrethe has "helped" her sister out, and I'm sure Queen Igrid also "helped" her daughter out. The Miller fortune sure didn't hurt when their eldest son Pavlos married Marie-Chantal.

Back
Top Bottom