Dutch State Visit to Greece: October 31 - November 2, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eya

Imperial Majesty
City
-
Country
Greece
"His Majesty the King and Her Majesty Queen Máxima pay a state visit to Greece at the invitation of President Katerina Sakellaropoulou.

The visit will take place from Monday 13 to Wednesday 15 December. The state visit is a confirmation of the good relations between the two countries. During the visit, attention will be paid to bilateral and international relations in the fields of economy and innovation, sustainability, migration and human rights.'

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actue...lijk-paar-brengt-staatsbezoek-aan-griekenland

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to this visit,the King and Queen have a fondness for Greece.

Is it common to invite members of the Greek RF to a state dinner in Greece? Such as happens in Portugal with the Duke and Duchess of Bragança. As Prince Nicholas and Princess Tatiana are living in Greece it would be nice if they could receive an invitation for the banquet.

Is it common to invite members of the Greek RF to a state dinner in Greece? Such as happens in Portugal with the Duke and Duchess of Bragança. As Prince Nicholas and Princess Tatiana are living in Greece it would be nice if they could receive an invitation for the banquet.

I had thought of Prince Nicholas and Princess Tatiana but if they were indeed invited would it be a first in Greece by the Republic?

Is it common to invite members of the Greek RF to a state dinner in Greece?

I am not aware of any instance where a member of the GRF has been invoted to a state dinner.

It was not until 1998 that Juan Carlos and Sofía made their first state visit to Greece, after years of negotiations and diplomatic tensions, Sofia was queen of Spain but she was born a Greek princess and that caused problems. Now things are less tense, Sofia attends events in Greece and even this year made a private visit to the President and the Prime Minister.

Even so, I do not think that the situation has changed so much in the relationship between the Greek authorities and the rest of the royal family that they are invited to a high-level event such as a State Visit.

Last edited:
Queen Sofia is received by the Greek authorities as a representative of a foreign State, Spain, not as a member of the Greek Royal House. Her private visit to the President of the Republic and the Prime Minister, obviously, have no relation to the Greek royal family, she does not represent this royal house, she represents to her country and her Royal House, the spanish, and the interes of these.
Her Foundation is managing projects to prevent the extinction of turtles in Greece (this was the motive of her private visit).

No member of the Greek Royal family is going to be invited to any state gala by Greece, . The current Greek government has no relationship with the Royal Family, the 1994 law has not been repealed, King Constantine does not have a Greek passport and he has said it that he does not have any relationship with the government.

Regarding the Netherlands, it could. The Netherlands are free to invite personalities from Greek society to this official visit, but I think that no because I do not remember that the embassy of the Netherlands would had invited to Nikolaos and Tatiana to the private parties at the embassy, It could be, but I think that no.

The only two countries that would invite or have invited officially to members of the Greek Royal Family to a state act, it is obvious that it would be:

- Denmark, if the visit would be of the Queen Margrethe of Denmark, because the King and Queen have Danish passports, and it is obvious, the Royal House of Denmark is very united to King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie (I remember that Queen Margrethe in a official visit to US, she o the Embassy of Denmark invited to Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie Chantal. And the Princess Mary to Prince Philippos, in US (he has not danish passport)

- And the Embassy of the United States, in fact, when President Obama visited Athens and he gave a conference , years ago, the US Embassy invited to members of the Royal Family, Prince Nikolaos and Princess Tatiana were presents .

Last edited:
I am not aware of any instance where a member of the GRF has been invoted to a state dinner.

Exactly what was thinking too but might be a good opportunity to offer an olive branch?

The King and Queen can invite Greek royals for their return event on the second evening of the State Visit.

The King and Queen can invite Greek royals for their return event on the second evening of the State Visit.
They could. But would it be diplomatically wise to do so?

They could. But would it be diplomatically wise to do so?

I think that's right, it would not be the right thing for W-A and Max to invite the former King and Queen to the return dinner.

I think that's right, it would not be the right thing for W-A and Max to invite the former King and Queen to the return dinner.

The Greek royals are citizens of Greece and are no personas-non-grata. On itself there is nothing against an invitation to Greek royals, for an example Crown Prince and -Princess Pavlos.

But having said that: the Dutch State Visits are quite businesslike. Then the Dutch delegation probably sees more in giving a place to a Greek industrialist, entrepreneur, banker or start-up than to a former Greek royal.

It is the same as with the State Visit Germany: better an invitation to the CEO of Volkswagen or the CEO of Deutsche Bank, than an invitation to Prince Georg Friedrich. The Dutch royals seem not to (mis)use their State Visits for maintaining friendly relations with other royal families.

The Greek royals are citizens of Greece and are no personas-non-grata. On itself there is nothing against an invitation to Greek royals, for an example Crown Prince and -Princess Pavlos.

But having said that: the Dutch State Visits are quite businesslike. Then the Dutch delegation probably sees more in giving a place to a Greek industrialist, entrepreneur, banker or start-up than to a former Greek royal.

It is the same as with the State Visit Germany: better an invitation to the CEO of Volkswagen or the CEO of Deutsche Bank, than an invitation to Prince Georg Friedrich. The Dutch royals seem not to (mis)use their State Visits for maintaining friendly relations with other royal families.

When the King and Queen of Netherlands paid a state visit to Portugal they invited the Duke and Duchess of Bragança, so I don't see why in this case they couldn't invite King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie and some of their children, namely the Prince Nikolaos who resides in Greece. Dutch royalty has good relations with the Greek royal family.

Last edited:
Dutch royalty has good relations with the Greek royal family.

Indeed. However, relations between the GRF and the Government of Greece are not great. W-A and Max and there, on this state visit, to engage with the government of Greece on behalf of the government of the Netherlands, amd not spend time with their friends, the former GRF.

I could be wrong but the biggest difference is in Portugal the Bragança (maybe also the nobility) are recognized by authority (even though they have no power). The former Greek royal family, I would say they're irrelevant to current Greece.

Plus, I don't remember there are any state visits to Greece (republic) from reigning monarch in the past had involved the former Greek royal family. I think that said a lot for the government attitude to the former royal family. No matter how close the relationship is, if inviting someone that isn't welcome by the host, that will be rude and a diplomatic mistake

Last edited:
Dutch royalty has good relations with the Greek royal family.

The issue is the Greek Republic and the former Royal Family not the relationship with the Dutch RF and the Greeks RF.

:previous:

Yesterday a (Dutch) reporter was forced to leave Greece due to several serious threats theats and after people threw stones at her when she was going to the supermarket. This happened after she had asked a question to the Greek Prime Minister during a press conference & he responded by shouting to her. An extra complication for the diplomatic side of the visit.

:previous:

Yesterday a (Dutch) reporter was forced to leave Greece due to several serious threats theats and after people threw stones at her when she was going to the supermarket. This happened after she had asked a question to the Greek Prime Minister during a press conference & he responded by shouting to her. An extra complication for the diplomatic side of the visit.

"Asked" was an euphemism for a rude attack to the PM. This journalist -with the best of intentions- has lost journalistic distance and became more an activist with a press license.

I agree that she is more an activist than a reporter, but that does not mean people have a free license to throw stones at her or need to threaten her life. The reaction of the prime minister -who lost his decorum- was not very edifying either. Though I suppose in the last years we have become more acustomed to unhinged world leaders.

I had a feeling it would and the first of many to come!

And rightfully so!

I agree that she is more an activist than a reporter, but that does not mean people have a free license to throw stones at her or need to threaten her life. The reaction of the prime minister -who lost his decorum- was not very edifying either. Though I suppose in the last years we have become more acustomed to unhinged world leaders.

Postpone that state visit indefinetly..Not worth the trouble,not there..all talks and no substance...

Last edited by a moderator:
A slightly cooler time of the year for a visit to Greece!

They've (regularly, I assume) been to Greece in the 'autumn holiday' which typically is only one or two weeks earlier than this state visit, so they'll know what to expect.

The full program

Monday 31 October and Tuesday 1 November: Athens
To mark the start of the state visit on Monday morning, the King and Queen will lay a wreath at the Monument of the Unknown Soldier in Syntagma Square in Athens. They will then be welcomed by President Sakellaropoulou at the Presidential Palace.

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will then meet with representatives of the Greek Ombudsman and the Dutch Ombudsman at the Netherlands Institute in Athens. Since its inception, the Greek Ombudsman organisation has worked closely with its Dutch counterpart to protect the fundamental rights of citizens and migrants. In the afternoon the King and Queen will visit the Acropolis, where they will take a walking tour of the Erechtheion and the Parthenon.

Later in the afternoon the King and Queen will meet the mayor of Athens, Kostas Bakoyannis, and attend a reception for the Dutch community. On Monday evening, President Sakellaropoulou will host a state banquet at the Presidential Palace, at which both heads of state will give a speech.

On Tuesday morning the King and Queen will visit the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center to see the World Press Photo exhibition on women’s rights, titled ‘Resilience – stories of women inspiring change’. This will be followed by a roundtable discussion on combating violence against women. The Greek president will participate in this discussion, as will Greek and Dutch policymakers and representatives of human rights organisations and implementing agencies. King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will then attend a pitch competition for startups, organised by Orange Grove, the Dutch embassy’s platform offering support to young Greek entrepreneurs and startups.

The royal couple will then visit the Elpida oncology clinic at Paidon children’s hospital, which has a partnership with the Princess Máxima Centre for Pediatric Oncology. After a tour that includes the clinic’s stem cell laboratory, they will speak with former patients about their experiences.

In the afternoon, King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will attend a concert by refugee children from a number of Greek reception camps, organised by the Greek-Dutch NGO Connect by Music. The concert will be held at a school in Athens which participates in the ‘Schools for All’ programme. This programme promotes the integration and acceptance in Greek schools of children from refugee backgrounds. After the concert, King Willem-Alexander will visit a home for Ukrainian children who came to Greece after the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Queen Máxima will visit a home for girls who arrived in Greece as unaccompanied minor refugees. The home was opened in 2020 with the Netherlands’ support.

The second day of the state visit will conclude with a performance by the Nederlands Danstheater in the Megaron Mousikis, hosted by King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima.

Wednesday 2 November: Thessaloniki
The last day of the visit will take place in Greece’s second largest city Thessaloniki. On Wednesday morning the King and Queen will attend an economic session on sustainability and agriculture at LABattoir, at which the King will give a speech. This will be followed by a presentation on the rich history of the city, which has been at the crossroads of cultures for centuries. The city’s mayor, Konstantinos Zervas, will meet the King and Queen in Aristotelous Square and tell them more about Thessaloniki’s ongoing transforming into a sustainable and liveable city. The party will cycle to the historical White Tower, where the mayor will take their leave of the royal couple.

The final programme element will be a visit to the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, during which the Dutch embassy’s ‘Entrepreneurial University’ programme will be discussed. This initiative promotes the sharing of knowledge and experience on entrepreneurship education and innovation by Dutch and Greek universities. The King and Queen will meet with deputy education minister Angelos Syrigos and the rectors of Thessaloniki’s two largest universities – the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and the University of Macedonia – which are involved in the programme.

During the state visit all COVID-19-related measures currently in place in Greece will be observed. The programme is subject to change and may at any point be amended to reflect changes to the situation.

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom