Elizabeth I (1533-1603)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always operated under the idea that Kat Ashley was the most important woman in Elizabeth's life, probably because she was with her the longest.

I don't recall The Virgin Queen being about Raleigh? I remember the Golden Age being too much about him and Bess.

Update, when online and found The Virgin Queen is from the 50s with Bette Davis; I wonder why Raleigh and Bess are so fascinating to Hollywood.

Yes the Bette Davis one...that is all it is about. Not great.

Regarding Elizabeth and Leister...do most people he really loved her, as in a man loves a woman, or simply in the manner of a queen, confidante, friend, etc...but that he would have gladly married her if he could? Was it really an unfulfilled romance? Or just courtly games?

He clearly wanted her own heir and was bent on getting one, but not convinced he married Lettice for love either. But then, did any of them? Except maybe Cecil? He was said to love his wife dearly and vice versa.

Probably quite a few aristocrats/courtiers loved their wives. Leicester, yes I think he did love Elizabeth, particularly as the years went by. They shared so many memories. However, ambition was also mingled with his love. The Dudleys were always a family anxious to advance themselves and Robert was no different.

I definitely think he would have married Elizabeth if there had been no Amy Robsart. However, Elizabeth might have been more cautious. She wanted no Master over her.

Robert probably fell in love with Lettice as well, after virtually giving up on the Queen. Lettice was said to resemble Elizabeth physically.

Robert probably fell in love with Lettice as well, after virtually giving up on the Queen. Lettice was said to resemble Elizabeth physically.

Lettice was the daughter of Elizabeth's first cousin Catherine (Carey) Knollys, believed by some to also have been Elizabeth's half-sister. So I guess it makes sense that they would resemble one another. Another Boleyn girl causing trouble for the monarch....

Well,
Elizabeth is also a Boleyn girl lol...

But I do think it was a bit nasty of Leister to take up with her, if she bugged the queen as much as has been said. I think he meant only for a dalliance initially...but Lettice wanted a new husband after hers died.

Catherine Carey ,Lady Knollys was a firm favourite of the queen,she died at Hampton Court in 1569 and also buried at St Edmund's Chapel in Westminster Abbey at the expense of the queen.

Well,
Elizabeth is also a Boleyn girl lol...

But I do think it was a bit nasty of Leister to take up with her, if she bugged the queen as much as has been said. I think he meant only for a dalliance initially...but Lettice wanted a new husband after hers died.
Ha! Ha! You are exactly right! And now that I think about it Queen Elizabeth II is another Boleyn girl too!

I read “The Men Who Would be King”today...a book detailing all of Elizabeth’s suitors, one by one, starting with Thomas Seymour, ending with Essex. Very well done and readable, not overly scholarly like some of them are. Would recommend to those interested.

It played a lot on her love for flattery and words of love, as a substitute for the love of a complete physical relationship, such as a marriage would entail, as well as her fear and apprehension of what became of women who did not bow down to their husbands, from her own childhood experiences.

Last edited:
After she became the Queen Regnant, did Elizabeth I give any of her Boleyn relatives a position at court?

Queen Elizabeth I disapproved of Katherine Grey's choice of husband in Edward Seymour. Still unmarried, Elizabeth feared that Katherine's ability to bear a son could facilitate a rebellion in support of Katherine as queen.

One of Queen Elizabeth I's suitors was Adolf, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp. Elizabeth let him down gently and with great diplomacy. Adolf returned home with splendid presents and the Order of the Garter.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of Queen Elizabeth I's suitors was Adolf, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp. Elizabeth let him down gently and with great diplomacy. Adolf returned home with splendid presents and the Order of the Garter.

Through his Catholic mother Sophie of Pomerania ,he was descended from the Polish Jagiellon royal dynasty he went onto marry Christina of Hesse in 1564 .

Last edited:
Through his Catholic mother Sophie of Pomerania ,he was descended from the Polish Jagiellon royal dynasty he went onto marry Christian of Hesse in 1564 .

Who is Christian of Hesse?

Who is Christian of Hesse?

Was a spelling error, An ard Ri meant Christine of Hesse.

Christine was the daughter of Philip I of Hesse and his wife Christine of Saxony. The celebrations of their wedding were so wild, that there was a huge fire at Gottorf castle (the castle which gave the name to Adolph's new duchy Holstein-Gottorp) burned down, losing much of Christine's personal items.

The couple had 10 children. 4 sons and 3 daughters made it to adulthood, though only 1 of the sons married.

Their eldest 2 sons died without children. It was their third son, and 6th child John Adolph who would carry on the line. He had been appointed administrator of the Prince-Archbishopric of Bremen as he was not expected to succeed with his older brothers ahead of him. He resigned his position when he became duke and married Princess Augusta, daughter of Frederick II of Denmark. He was replaced in the archbishopric by his youngest brother John Frederick (youngest of the 10 siblings).

All three daughters to make it to adulthood married:

-Sophia- married Johann VII, Duke of Mecklenburg
-Christina-married King Charles IX of Sweden. She was the grandmother of one of the four queen reignants of Sweden, her namesake Queen Christina
-Anna- married Enno III, Count of East Frisia

Yes thanks it was a typo and in reference to Christine of Hesse who herself died a little over a year after Elizabeth I in 1604.

What do you think of Queen Elizabeth I relying on John Dee's counsel in the scheduling of important events?

Queen Elizabeth I was fond of her Carey cousins. On her accession, Henry Carey was knighted and in January 1559 was created Baron Hunsdon. In October 1560 he was appointed Master of the Queen's Hawks.

Queen Elizabeth I was fond of her Carey cousins. On her accession, Henry Carey was knighted and in January 1559 was created Baron Hunsdon. In October 1560 he was appointed Master of the Queen's Hawks.

His wife ,Anne Morgan Baroness Hunsdon was made of the queens ladies and outlived Elizabeth dying in 1607.

Why, oh why is humankind allways so obsessed with other peoples sexlive?

I think it's more a case of people being unable to handle the idea that a powerful woman might actually have managed perfectly well without having a male partner! Hence all the rumours about Elizabeth.

I think it's more a case of people being unable to handle the idea that a powerful woman might actually have managed perfectly well without having a male partner! Hence all the rumours about Elizabeth.

She managed without a partner but she had many advsiers who were men and who contributed ot the success of her reign....

Was Queen Elizabeth the mother of Arthur? How could she have hidden a pregnancy?
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/royal_family/Royal+News-19030.html

Wrong rumor. Queen Elizabeth is purported to be the mother of Sir Francis Bacon. :D

According to many under appreciated scholars, Queen Elizabeth I, had an affair with Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, and produced a son named Francis. Francis was given up at birth to Anne Bacon, Queen Elizabeth's maid in waiting.

Bacon's Royal Parentage

Drats. Now I *need* me some crispy bacon. :eek:

I cannot blame Good Queen Bess for never marrying after all she witnessed with her father disposing of wives, executing 2 of them including her own mother and the unhappy marriage of her older sister Queen Mary and the disastrous second and third marriages of her cousin Mary Queen of Scots.

Maybe she was far, far ahead of her time and didn't feel the need for a "legal union" to define a relationship. She's often been called the "virgin queen" but who, in their right mind, would demand "proof" from their monarch?

Elizabeth always proclaimed that she was "married to her kingdom and under divine protection".

Maybe she was far, far ahead of her time and didn't feel the need for a "legal union" to define a relationship. She's often been called the "virgin queen" but who, in their right mind, would demand "proof" from their monarch?

Elizabeth always proclaimed that she was "married to her kingdom and under divine protection".

No she wasn't "far ahead of her time" at all. She was a conservative person in most respects. She probably loved Robert Dudley most but feared the loss of power if she were to marry him or any other man. There was a dilemma, in that if she married a foreign prince, it might mean the end of English independence.. and if she married an English noble, it would stir up jealousies...

No she wasn't "far ahead of her time" at all. She was a conservative person in most respects. She probably loved Robert Dudley most but feared the loss of power if she were to marry him or any other man. There was a dilemma, in that if she married a foreign prince, it might mean the end of English independence.. and if she married an English noble, it would stir up jealousies...

That makes sense. If she were to marry, she would have been required to marry someone "suitable" that would serve to protect and further the interests of England. If she had married, the era was one of where the husband was to be "obeyed" and women were treated as "lesser" beings. Remaining unmarried, Elizabeth didn't give any kind of her power to a man that could possibly "abuse" his station.

I actually went to look it up to find out if back then in Elizabeth I's time if there was such as beast as the "crown matrimonial" as there was in Scotland at the time of Mary, Queen of Scots. As I couldn't find any reference to it for England, I'm assuming it wasn't part of English law at the time.

However it left her without an heir and that was one of hte primary duties of a monarch to provide an heir so as to ensure an orderly transition of power once she died. It was the best solution that they could have at the time for her to remain unmarried but it was not ideal. Mary's marriage to Philip had a treaty which didn't give Philip too many rights in England.. and possibly Elizabeth could have found a husband who was a royal but not a King who would be content to become her consort. however foreign alliances mgiht drag the country into war.... and I think taht Elizabeth felt it was safest to reign alone even if it left her iwht no heir...

I often think about what sort of relationship Elizabeth had with her other Catholic cousin The Lady Margaret Douglas,Countess of Lennox.

I'm thinking there was no love loss especially on Lady Margaret's side.

Wrong rumor. Queen Elizabeth is purported to be the mother of Sir Francis Bacon. :D

According to many under appreciated scholars, Queen Elizabeth I, had an affair with Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, and produced a son named Francis. Francis was given up at birth to Anne Bacon, Queen Elizabeth's maid in waiting.

Bacon's Royal Parentage

Drats. Now I *need* me some crispy bacon. :eek:

Osipi, I found:
In Elizabeth Virgin Queen, Philippa Jones wrote that there were four possible men who could have been the offspring of Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley: Arthur Dudley, Francis Bacon, John Harrington, and Robert Devereux.

Back
Top Bottom