Emperor Akihito & Empress Michiko Current Events Part 2: September 2006- January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko stroll in the garden of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo in this December 4, 2006 picture, released by the Imperial Household Agency December 23, 2006. Emperor Akihito celebrated his 73rd birthday on Saturday.

Photos from Yahoo

Birthday interview from Kunaicho

Yoshimi Watanabe (R), the newly appointed Administrative Reform Minister, accompanied by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (2nd R), is inaugurated before Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo December 28, 2006. Incumbent minister Genichiro Sata resigned amid allegations that his supporters received government funds for the upkeep of a fictitious office.

Photo from Reuters via Yahoo

Last edited:
His Majesty the Emperor’s New Year Thoughts, 2007

I am deeply saddened that last year as many as 150 people lost their lives in natural disasters including heavy snowfalls, torrential rains, typhoons, and tornadoes. My heart goes out to the people of Niigata Prefecture and Fukuoka Prefecture who are spending another winter living in temporary housing as a result of the earthquakes in those areas.
There were also regions where salty winds from typhoons caused great damage to rice crops, and my thoughts are with the people of the farming communities affected. At the start of the new year, I pray for the happiness of the people of Japan and the world. It is my sincere hope that all of us work together to pursue a society in which people can live in mutual trust.​

http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/gokansou/gokansou-19-01.html

Year-end Presentation of Five Waka Poems by Their Majesty the Emperor and the Empress
2006, Eighteenth Year of Heisei

http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/gyosei/5syu3syuh18-01.html

what about meet HM Queen ElizabethII,mandyy

Visit to Japan of His Excellency Mr. Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, President of the Government of Spain, and Mrs. Sonsoles Espinosa
(Announcement by the Press Secretary/Director-General for Press and Public Relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

His Excellency Mr. Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, President of the Government of Spain, and Mrs. Sonsoles Espinosa, accompanied by a suite, will pay an Official Working Visit to Japan from January 15 to 18, 2007.
During their stay in Japan, President of the Government of Spain, and Mrs. Espinosa will be received in audience by Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress of Japan.
President of the Government of Spain will also hold a meeting with Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan.
The Government of Japan sincerely welcomes the visit of President of the Government of Spain and Mrs. Espinosa, which will further strengthen the friendly relations between Japan and Spain.
Visit to Japan of His Excellency Mr. Armando Emilio Guebuza, President of the Republic of Mozambique, and Mrs. Guebuza
(Announcement by the Press Secretary/Director-General for Press and Public Relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

His Excellency Mr. Armando Emilio Guebuza, President of the Republic of Mozambique, and Mrs. Guebuza, accompanied by a suite, will pay an Official Working Visit to Japan from January 21 to 24, 2007.
During their stay in Japan, the President and Mrs. Guebuza will make a State Call on Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress of Japan, and Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress will host a Court Luncheon in honor of the President and Mrs. Guebuza.
The President will also hold a meeting with Mr.Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan.
The Government of Japan sincerely welcomes the visit of the President and Mrs. Guebuza, which will further strengthen the friendly relations between Japan and the Republic of Mozambique.

From MOFA

Mozambique's President Armando Emilio Guebuza and his wife Maria da Luz Dai Guebuza are welcomed by Japan's Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo January 22, 2007.

Photos from Reuters via Yahoo

Emperor Akihito reads a statement to formally open the first Parliamentary session of the year in Tokyo, Friday, Jan. 26, 2007. Parliamentary debates this session were expected to be particularly heated because of elections for half of the body's 242-seat upper house slated for July.

Photos from AP and Reuters via Yahoo

Emperor moved by film on S. Korean man killed in tragic accident
Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko appeared to be emotionally affected at the screening on Friday of a new film about a South Korean student who was killed by an oncoming train in 2001 as he tried to rescue a drunken stranger at a Tokyo station.
At a preview in Tokyo on the sixth anniversary of the death of 26-year-old Lee Su Hyon, the imperial couple both seemed to be moved as the film reached its finale where the main character is killed.......Empress Michiko has a personal involvement in the real story. In November 2001, she happened to meet with Lee's parents at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo while they were on a tour.
The empress held their hands and offered her condolences at that time. "I am sorry this has happened," she reportedly said.....
"The grief of a mother who has lost her own child couldn't possibly be comprehended by anyone but her. I hope Lee's feelings will be conveyed to viewers," Hanado quoted the empress as telling him.....
Emperor moved by film on S. Korean man killed in tragic accident

Czech Republic's President Vaclav Klaus and his wife Livia Klausova are greeted by Japan's Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo February 14, 2007.

Photos from Reuters via Yahoo and Profimedia

News article relating to their meeting

Last edited:
Visit to Japan of His Excellency Mr. Nambaryn Enkhbayar, President of Mongolia, and Mrs. Onongiin Tsolmon

His Excellency Mr. Nambaryn Enkhbayar, President of Mongolia, and Mrs. Onongiin Tsolmon, will pay an Official Working Visit to Japan from February 26 to March 2, 2007.
During their stay in Japan, the President and Mrs.Onongiin Tsolmon will make a State Call on Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress of Japan, and Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress will host a Court Luncheon in honor of the President and Mrs.Onongiin Tsolmon.
The President will also hold a meeting with Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan.
The Government of Japan sincerely welcomes the visit of the President and Mrs. Onongiin Tsolmon, which will further strengthen the friendly relations between Japan and Mongolia.

From MOFA

U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney speaks to Japan's Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo February 21, 2007 in this handout released by the Imperial Household Agency of Japan. REUTERS/The Imperial Household Agency of Japan/Handout

Photos from Reuters, AFP and AP via Yahoo

The Emperor and Empress meeting with the Romainian Prime Minister and his wife on Feb. 23, 2007.
Empress Michiko return to do her official duties after recovering from a fever.

Photo from JIJI press

Last edited:
Last edited:
Russian premier in Japan for energy talks
....Fradkov had an audience Tuesday afternoon with Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko before talks with Yohei Kono, speaker of the lower house, officials said.....

Photo of the audience from Mainichi news

Interesting news! It's good that Japan had good relationships with the countries that are next to it.

Vanesa.

Japan's Empress Michiko falls ill

Japan's Empress Michiko is ill with symptoms of internal bleeding, the Japanese news agency Kyodo has reported.

The 72-year-old empress has fallen ill with "symptoms of bleeding in the intestines," Kyodo quoted the Imperial Household Agency as saying.
It is not known how serious her condition is. Empress Michiko is the wife of Emperor Akihito and the mother of Crown Prince Naruhito

BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Japan's Empress Michiko falls ill

Last edited by a moderator:
That's sad to hear that happened to the Empress. All best wishes for her to recovering soon. So, it maybe that she would skip from the Swedish State Visit to Japan at the end of this month.

Japan's Empress Michiko Has Intestinal Bleeding, Agency Says
Michiko is also suffering from nasal bleeding due to ``psychological stress,'' the agency said in a statement. The empress lost her voice for several months in 1993, which court doctors attributed to stress. She is resting at the imperial palace in Tokyo, agency medical adviser Ichiro Kanazawa said at a press conference.

Bloomberg.com: Japan

:ohmy: Oh dear. Hope she will have a speedy recovery. I suspect that IHA must have something to do behind all of this.

Poor Empress Michiko. Personally I think this isn't related to stress at all but the IHA are using her illness, whatever it is, so that they can say that this book has brought it on. Nothing would suprise me with the IHA.

I feel the same way. The IHA always have something up their sleeves.:devil: :furious: I wonder what's next....having someone have a heart attack!?!?:sad:

poor empress, some happend with the woman of that family, first masako now the empress.

That's unfortunate. I hope the Empress has a speedy recovery.

I also hope the IHA doesn't see the Empress' misfortune as an opportunity to "promote" Princess Kiko (i.e., I hope that don't try to use Princess Kiko as a stand-in for the Empress at events to "promote" her as capable Empress material and have her outshine the Crown Princess).

I wouldnt be surprised if the IHA tried to do that. To be honest, I think the IHA would be "desperate" or "crazy" enough to try anything they could come up with. Who knows?

A recent photo of the Empress from Feb. 28, 2007. (Source AP via Yahoo)
Japanese Emperor Akihito and Emperss Michiko speak each other as they wait for the arrival of Mongolian President Nambaryn Enkhbayar and his wife, Onongin Tsolmon, for an audience and a luncheon at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2007.

She's looking awfully frail in that photo.

What a life she's had. And these IHA nabobs are busily blaming the author of the Masako book for a problem they're as responsible for as anyone.

Yeah....I think that the whole thing with Crown Princess Masako is just a repeat of the same story as Empress Michiko. Basically the same story for the both of them, basically the same results. Its sad really.

Hopefully there will be improvement and a speedy recovery for both Crown Princess Masako & Empress Michiko.

Japan empress braves illness to attend flower show
Japan's Empress Michiko attended a flower exhibition on Thursday, two days after an announcement that she is suffering from what appears to be a stress-related illness, in another sign of tension in the royal family......A spokesman for the Imperial Household Agency, which handles royal affairs, said her doctors believed the illness was due to stress. She is taking medicine and will spend some time resting.
Dressed in a beige kimono, Michiko, 72, smiled and nodded as she viewed an exhibition of traditional flower arranging........
Japan empress braves illness to attend flower show - Yahoo! News

Empress Michiko arrives at Sogetsu 80th anniversary exhibition of Akane Teshigahara, 'Ikebana Through My Eyes', in Tokyo March 8, 2007. Empress Michiko is suffering from what appears to be a stress-related illness and will cancel some of her official duties to rest, officials said, in another sign of tension in the royal family.

Pictures from REUTERS/Yuriko Nakao

Another pic from JIJI press

Video from FNN and ANN news

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
Poor Empress Michiko. Personally I think this isn't related to stress at all but the IHA are using her illness, whatever it is, so that they can say that this book has brought it on. Nothing would suprise me with the IHA.

Good point- hadn't thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom