Ferdinand I (1861-1948)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today in Royal History is the 159th birthday of Tsaritsa Eleonore of Bulgaria born Princess Eleonore Caroline Gasparine Louise Reuss-Köstritz. She is the second wife of Tsar Ferdinand I of Bulgaria. She died age 57 on 12 September 1917.

Today in Royal History is the 102nd Death Anniversary of Tsaritsa Eleonore of Bulgaria born Princess Eleonore Caroline Gasparine Louise Reuss-Köstritz.

There is a royal magazine out "Royal Digest Quarterly" published by Ted Rosvall with the complete family trees of all the royal houses & Nobilities of Europe. Bulgaria starting with king Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, prince of Bulgaria 1887 & king of Bulgaria 1908, abdicated in 1918, (1861-1948) It is worth having all the magazines, I did this for the histories and family trees.

The remains of Tsar Ferdinand I will be returned to Bulgaria on 29 May.
The first king of the Third Bulgarian Kingdom has been buried since 1948 in the crypt of the church "St. Augustine" in the Bavarian city of Coburg. There, King Ferdinand was placed in a temporary sarcophagus in front of the tomb of his parents – Prince Augustus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Princess Clementine of Orléans.

On May 29, the remains of Tsar Ferdinand will be transferred from the city of Coburg to Sofia by a military plane that will land in front of the government VIP at Sofia airport at around 2:00 p.m. The coffin will be solemnly removed and placed in a hearse, which will proceed to the Vrana Palace at around 3:00 p.m.

The funeral procession will start at the main entrance of the palace park and arrive at the Vrana Palace. There, she will be received by Tsar Simeon II and the royal family, along with His Excellency. Metropolitan of Western and Central Europe Antony, official envoy of the Holy Synod and the Apostolic Nuncio to Bulgaria, Archbishop Luciano Suriani.

The funeral ceremony will be held in front of the main entrance of "Vrana", after which the coffin will be placed in the central hall, where a brief farewell will take place in a family circle. After that, the doors of the palace will be open to citizens who wish to pay their last respects in front of the coffin of the late Tsar Ferdinand.

In the Hall of the Order of the Palace, Associate Professor Ivaylo Shalafov, Director of the "Tsar Boris and Queen Joanna" Fund and Professor Petar Stoyanovich, President of the Historical Society of the Fund, will meet with the media.

Their Majesties are travelling to Bulgaria for the reburrial of Tsar Ferdinand. I just met them at the airport in Mallorca and had a brief chat about the upcoming funeral. Apparently the State is not involved at all and it will be a low-key affair. HM said that the family didn't want itto be too public, but he's happy that his grandfather is coming back to Bulgaria.

Their Majesties are travelling to Bulgaria for the reburrial of Tsar Ferdinand. I just met them at the airport in Mallorca and had a brief chat about the upcoming funeral. Apparently the State is not involved at all and it will be a low-key affair. HM said that the family didn't want itto be too public, but he's happy that his grandfather is coming back to Bulgaria.
Will Queen Giovanna's remains also be transferred to Bulgaria?

Will Queen Giovanna's remains also be transferred to Bulgaria?
I was too nervous and had to catch my breath after running from my gate to theirs (we were on different flights to Bulgaria), so I completely forgot to ask about his late mother's remains. Anyway, I guess her body will also be transferred from Italy one day.

Ferdinand I is back home and it the State had a small involvement in the transfer of his remains after all, as it was approved by the then Government a few months ago (the country is taking the Belgian path with the political crisis from 2007-2011). Apparently, there were also negotiations with the authorities in Coburg for about 6 months.
Ferdinand's coffin was carried from Germany to Bulgaria by a military Spartan plane and was received at the airport in Sofia by a Guard of Honour from the National Guards Unit in their beautiful uniforms - this is the same regiment that would've provided his security during his time as Monarch.
The National Guards Unit and their band were also present in Vrana Palace. Some of them stood as Guard of Honour, while others carried the coffin inside the Palace (they rehearsed this recently during the late Patriarch's State funeral in March). The family, but especially the Tsar, were pleased that their ancestor is back home 76 years after he passed away. While the royal family was largely present, a few notable absences yesterday were Princes Boris (the heir) and Princess Maria Louisa, who was in Sofia only recently during Easter.

Some photos from yesterday:

Tsar Ferdinand's tomb:

Back
Top Bottom