George II (1683-1760) and Caroline of Brandenburg-Ansbach (1683-1737)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was Caroline of Ansbach the unlikeliest Queen ever?

I haven't watched the video yet, but Caroline was very astute and respected in GB. Probably one of the more popular consorts ever.

I haven't watched the video yet, but Caroline was very astute and respected in GB. Probably one of the more popular consorts ever.

Having watched the video, it doesn’t really talk about Caroline being “unlikely” at all, just the consensus that she and Walpole ran Great Britain together.

Caroline was very astute and respected in GB. Probably one of the more popular consorts ever.

Caroline of Ansbach was at one stage being put forward as a potential bride to the Archduke Charles of Austria later Archduke Charles of Austria.
However Caroline would not convert from Lutheranism to Catholicism and the plans fizzled out by 1704.

Queen Caroline
374px-Style_of_Michael_Dahl_-_Queen_Caroline_-_Warwick_Shire_Hall.jpg

Do you believe that Caroline felt she was under any criticism when her husband succeeded to the throne? I inquire this because Caroline was the first Queen Consort of a new dynasty. Remember that George I's wife never became Queen Consort.

Well the previous queen consort was Maria of Modena :previous:

Queen Caroline was appointed Regent during her husbands absences in Hanover and enjoyed popularity by all accounts.

Caroline seems to have been quite popular. The fact that she'd refused to convert to Catholicism to become a future Empress went down very well in Hanoverian Britain, and people admired her generally.

Caroline seems to have been quite popular. The fact that she'd refused to convert to Catholicism to become a future Empress went down very well in Hanoverian Britain, and people admired her generally.

That went down very well with the Protestants not sure what the French Bourbons and their Jacobite relatives made of it all ;)

King George II lead his men in the Battle of Dettingen
https://www.maryevans.com/history/George-II-at-Dettingen-10078449

The wife of King George II
https://www.alamy.com/caroline-of-brandenburg-ansbach-image404895297.html

In 1735 King George II made Robert Walpole a gift of 10 Downing Street, which became the London residence of the British prime minister.

King George II donated the entirety of his royal library to the British Library in 1737. He founded the Georg August University in Gottingen in Hanover.

??????:bauble::bauble::bauble::bauble::bauble::bauble::bauble::bauble:

Last edited by a moderator:
George II when he was Prince of Wales in 1716

Back
Top Bottom