King Baudouin of The Belgians (1930-1993)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahh, my absolute FAVORITE Royal couple of all time! At every stage of their married life together you can look at photos of them and mistake them for newlyweds...even at the very end.

A beautiful example of what it means to love and be loved in return, completely.

God rest His Majesty's soul, and may God preserve HM Queen Fabiola!

I just want to say that King Baidouin is one of my most favorite monarchs, possibly the greatest post-WWII monarch in the world in my own opinion. I adore Queen Fabiola also and love their story. The King was such principled man, such an upright man, but it seemed to me that he always set an example in a very quiet and non-threatening way. I hope someone will post some good portraits of him here someday, I would really like to see some. RIP King Baudouin

52_zpscc777de3.jpg

Baudouin2_zpsb32a85ea.jpg

Baudouin5A_zps4361fefe.jpg

Baudouin5_zps006219ab.jpg

Baudouin6_zps42cc5fae.jpg

Baudouin9_zpsfe35c077.jpg

Baudouin13_zpse98fd243.jpg

Baudouin16_zpsfeae5fa3.jpeg

Baudouin67_zps5618a325.jpg

Baudouin95_zpsf1ee8fda.jpg

Baudouin100_zps420558bc.jpg

Baudouin103_zps6acf9b2c.jpg

Baudouin148_zps1cf47333.jpg

Do you know how did Baudouin meet Fabiola? I have read two stories (both in "Fabiola: La Reine blanche"):

-They met in the house of Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain in Laussane. Afterward, they met more times in Luxembourg.

-They met in Lourdes because Veronica O'Brien had been looking for Fabiola in Madrid. Regards!

Much has been made of this question, and I think there has been way too much made over the way they were introduced. Many say it was an arranged marriage through the church, but that is not how it went down. What happened was this: A young King Baudouin had a spiritual mentor (some RC's may think of this like a Spiritual Director who helps you in your spiritual live and journey).

Cardinal Leo Joseph Suenens
B207_zps88304446.jpg

He knew Baudouin for many years and some who actually knew the two and knew much more of about Baudouin say that he was also a replacement father figure since Baudouin was put in a very awkward position being a young King with a deposed father living in the same house. How painful must that have been? Anyway, they would talk alot and walk on the grounds of the palace in Laeken. He could see how desperately lonely and particularly isolated the poor boy was, so he asked an Irish nun named Veronica O'Brien to come to Belgium to meet with Baudouin. Here's the thing - she met with him about MANY spiritual things across the board.

She met with him at least five hours, but I have heard it was over more than one day. She then wrote him a letter in English that said, "Dear King... May I offer you, on this beautiful Feast of the Annunciation, these precious little books which we spoke about? (The Secret of Mary and Treatise on True Devotion, by Saint Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort.) They are coming to you completely loaded with grace, for since the feast of Saint Joseph, I have faithfully prayed for you every day... Mary is much more interested in your future than you yourself could ever be."

Now that is NOT about marriage, is it? That was not her main goal in going there. That's what bugs me about the rumors. Anyway, he did express to her his frustration at not being married. He also wanted a wife that held his VERY strong Roman Catholic views and deep religious convictions. So, the nun, Veronica O'Brien, went back to Ireland and thought and prayed about it. She then offered to help him MEET a nice Roman Catholic girl. Baudouin said he wanted a Spanish girl because the country was more devout than in northern Europe. So, she went there and through her Catholic connections, she came across the name of Fabiola. She met Fabiola and went to her apartment (by then Fab had moved out because she was - believe it or not - sorta modern). When in the apartment she supposedly saw a picture on the wall that she had dreamed about. This is where I lose the story because I just can't relate in that type of divine sign stuff. So, when she saw the picture, she felt like Fabiola was the one.

She told Fabiola she was on a mission to find a nice girl to introduce to the young King of Belgium. Fabiola flipped out and thought it was a cruel joke. She would have nothing of it until the Nuncio (Papal ambassador) in Madrid talked to her and said it was no joke. She reluctantly agreed to meet Baudouin. Their people must have really loved them because they kept quiet about everything like it was a war secret or something. People act like the church arranged the marriage, but as you can see, the church arranged the introduction. From there, the information is sketchy, except to say that they met at least a few times...some of them at Our Lady of Lourdes Cathedral (famous for Marian apparitions), the popular Roman Catholic pilgrimage destination in Lourdes, France. Baudouin (and Fabiola) didn't do anything quickly or on a whim. They were very sober and intentional about taking on the institution of marriage.

So they went there at least two times, and Baudouin went there on his own also seeking direction through his faith. He slept in the grotto (cave) there that is so popular you have to make reservations before being allowed to stay there over night. There is a bit of information that states the two were driving back from Lourdes when Fabiola said let's pray the rosary. After doing so (maybe she for strength, I don't know), she said to Baudouin that she would give up her life in Spain, family, work and not look back and marry him. It seems as though he asked her more than once, because she said, supposedly (however sure we can be) "this time it is yes."

All of this took place very quickly. I think he met the nun, Veronica O'Brien, in the spring. He was going to announce his engagement in July, but things exploded in the Belgium Congo so he waited until September and they were married December 15th of that year, 1960.

Fabiola had turned down previous requests for marriage, supposedly. Certainly Baudouin had the pick of Europe as a reigning King, and he wasn't bad lookin' either - or obnoxious - or drunk, etc. I personally would NEVER buy the line that they were directed to marry. I think after they met they probably had so much in common and such similar views that it just clicked very quickly. My husband and I met August, 1996 and were engaged December 31st of that same year. That's pretty quick too.

The other reason I dislike the "arranged marriage" line is because I really don't see any difference between a friend setting you up on a blind date or royals meeting young eligible women from other royal houses. This was the same, except the introduction was made through the church. This makes so much sense to me because of Baudouin's deep faith and religious convictions.

Anyway, that's what I know of it. It hasn't helped that whenever they were asked about meeting, the two of them would say it would be a story to tell their children, but they never had any, so now this mythology has sprung up around the issue. Hope that helps.

I think HM was very underrated in the looks department. He was almost beautiful as a young man and when he was older he resembled an attractive college professor!:p

Agreed. I think he was much more handsome than Albert.

Oh yes, he was much more handsome than his younger brother and a far better man than Albert ever was.
I see a lot of his character in Philippe, serious, devoted men who try to do the best thing to the best of their abilities, of course the current King is more modern and maybe less "praying" than his uncle but the best part of his character were passed from B to P, thankfully the latter doesn't share his parents inclinations to adultery or their lack of care for their children.

It should be not possible to reign as King Baudouin did , times changed.
Philippe is not 100 % a King's Baudouin model.
King Baudouin did not a difference with his private conscience and his King and Head of State conscience , this is not possible anymore.

Leidi, Philippe lived with Fabiola and Baudouin during one of Albert and Paola 's marriage crises. I'll post a picture which is very nice of F&B leading one of Philippe's scout meetings.

Maria Olivia, very true. It would be very difficult to do what Baudouin did in present times.

It should be not possible to reign as King Baudouin did , times changed.
Philippe is not 100 % a King's Baudouin model.
King Baudouin did not a difference with his private conscience and his King and Head of State conscience , this is not possible anymore.

I know that, what I meant is that Philippe got a lot of the good parts of his uncle's character, he was raised to be a good man :flowers:

To make that photo even more poignant it might have been taken around 1968,when Queen Fabiola was having her final doomed pregnancy.

She wore that same big red coat when she was pregnant before, and they way she is holding it closed against her stomach and she leans in to speak with Philippe makes me wonder.:sad:

Last edited:
I am absolutely loving this thread. Up until just recently, I really had next to no information about Fabiola and Bauduoin, their lives and their wonderful love story. Thank you so much episcogal for putting so much effort into explaining how they met and the wonderful collection of photos you've posted.

Bauduoin and Fabiola just comes across to me as very sensitive and serene persons with tremendous faith and conviction. They're the kind of couple that with each other they could face and make it through whatever came their way.

Yes, exactly Osipi. I posted before that they obviously took their wedding vows very seriously. It was one of those matches made in Heaven that you always read about, but rarely see in real life.

Thanks for this nice picture!
Sad that Queen Fabola's since years high appreciated reputation has changed due to her FoundationS !

Her reputation hasn't suffered with me at all. I don't think she did anything wrong with her Foundation and it was unfair and cruel to attack her over it.:bang:

She has given herself over body and soul to her adopted country since she became queen, until she has become too frail to be as active as she once was.

Was Baudouin named after Prince Baudouin, the son of Prince Philippe, the Count of Flanders?

Yes , you are right he was the beloved older brother of King Albert I.
if he did not die so young and should have been King Bauduin Ier.
The 2 Albert I and II are unexpected Kings ! Kind regards MO

King Philippe's eldest son has Baudouin as a middle name: Prince Gabriel Baudouin Charles Marie. It is nice to see Baudouin's name continued to be used.

Before her marriage , Queen Fabiola published a children's book.
The title of the book was The Twelve Marvellous Tales.
:queen::reading::reading::reading:

In Long to Reign?, A. W. Purdue wrote:

Leopold reluctantly agreed to abdicate in favour of his son Prince Baudouin, who would be known as Prince Royal until his twenty-first birthday a year later when he would become king.

Does this mean that immediately after Leopold III's abdication, Baudouin was not styled as King of the Belgians?

Frederick, Prince of Wales

by Frederic P. Miller, Agnes F. Vandome, and John McBrewster

Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, was the father of King George III.
If Frederick had not predeceased his father, George II, he would have reigned as King Frederick I.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her reputation hasn't suffered with me at all. I don't think she did anything wrong with her Foundation and it was unfair and cruel to attack her over it.:bang:

She has given herself over body and soul to her adopted country since she became queen, until she has become too frail to be as active as she once was.

:previous: I am in total agreement with you on this. It is shameful how she has been treated in 2013. What her lawyers did was not illegal and, being a native Texan makes me far less able to see any sort of moral or character flaw in not wanting to hand all your money over to the state, especially upon your death. That is just ridiculous.

Baudouin and Fabiola were austere when austere was not favorable. Indeed, the New York Times skewered him in the poor man's obituary over his austerity while king. :cool:

I'm praying Fabiola has a much better year in 2014. :flowers:

Yes, I remember the mildly disapproving obituary in the NY Times. The paper said that he and the Queen were "odd" because they tended to avoid glittery high profile Royal events, and then his behavior over the abortion issue really had them tut-tutting.:whistling:

Terrible Times Obituary Let's just post the article to show folks how shamefully he was treated AND, how incorrect their article truly was. It wasn't even accurate! :bang:

Some quotes:

one of the more reclusive of Europe's dwindling monarchs

...never a star player on the European political or social stage.

...rarely seen in public, gave few speeches, and avoided the glitter and pomp enjoyed by many of Europe's other royals.

...a 6-foot-tall, almost-gaunt aristocrat who once wanted to be a Trappist monk, seemed to be ill at ease in his role as king and sought to remove the monarchy as much as possible from the rough and tumble of politics.

It almost seemed typical that in his one entrance into his country's political spotlight in recent years, Baudouin sidestepped a decision on abortion, letting others do it by invoking an "unable to govern" clause in Belgium's constitution and not being king for a day.

That political ploy triggered grumbling among many Belgians and served to underscore the uneasy relationship he had for years with his subjects.

Those are all complete assumptions, suppositions and errant conclusions. But then again, that is what we usually see in terms of a quality story from the New York Slimes. :nonono:

I was going to write the author of that article and say in the twentieth anniversary year of the king's death, let's just examine what you wrote, but I found this...

March 2013 Versatile Times report dies at 84. I hope they managed to do a better job on his obit than he did on Baudouin's.

That last bit about his "uneasy relationship with his subjects" was laughable at best and a blatant lie at worst. Baudouin was a very popular king.:bang:

I wonder if the NYT covered the massive outpouring of grief by Belgians at the king's lying in State(almost a 3rd of the citizenry went to view his body) and the unprecedented turnout for his State funeral that included three former US Presidents and Elizabeth II as well? Something tells me they didn't.:cool:

Not bad for a reclusive king who shunned his subjects!

Back
Top Bottom