King Bhumibol Adulyadej's Diamond Jubilee, June 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
15 June 2006

Crown Prince Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck of Bhutan speaks during an audience with HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn, the Royal Consort HRH Princess Srirasmi and HRH Prince Teepangkorn Rasmichoti yesterday at Don Muang airport.​
(from Nation)

More News & Articles ...

Bonds of Amity between Thai and Foreign Royal Families (15/6/2006)

Although many activities as part of the 60th anniversary celebrations of His Majesty the King’s accession to the throne still continue, the impressive ceremonies highlighting the celebrations have concluded.
(...)

Representing foreign royals in delivering an address at the banquet was His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu’izzaddin Waddaulah, the sultan and yang di-pertuan of Brunei Darussalam. He said that monarchs and royal representatives from 25 countries were here, in Thailand, to honor not only His Majesty the King and Thai people, but also the substance of His Majesty’s reign. He stressed that the foreign monarchs and royal representatives were here to express their profound esteem for the personal qualities with which His Majesty has so enriched it.

In his address, the sultan and yang di-pertuan said that its sixty years are not just sixty years in the history of Thailand. They are, in so many ways, the history of our times, the good and the bad, the joyous and the sad, the exciting and the desperate. These times have brought the most rapid and far-reaching changes ever seen in mankind’s history. They have challenged every aspect of our existence, above all as sovereign nations. They have presented moments when great decisions and judgment have been called for.
He pointed out that His Majesty has never sought to distance himself from the lives of his people. His Majesty has never asked them to be followers or mere subjects. He has shared their joys, fears, and disappointments.

The Sultan of Brunei Darussalam praised His Majesty for making Thais deeply proud of their heritage and their identity. His Majesty has made his people feel that the Kingdom of Thailand is indeed their own Kingdom, because His Majesty has given them confidence. Much of this comes from His Majesty’s own personal achievements. These have rightly been a source of great inspiration to Thai people, whether academic, artistic, scientific, or in the most human of terms, the simple example of a good and loving father. All these achievements have now been recognized by the international community.

He honored His Majesty with a dear and very special title of the Friend and Most Respected Colleague of the visiting royals.
http://www.60thcelebrations.com/english/news_detail.php?id=141

Portrait of most beloved King
National commemoration of His Majesty's 60th year on the throne offers the world the clear impression that he is the most loved monarch of modern times

The festive mood of the Thais has not yet subsided even as most of the royal guests for the stunning celebration of His Majesty the King's 60 years on the throne began to fly home yesterday.
Indeed, the jubilee celebration, which went on between June 8 and June 13, has proved to have had an enormous impact on the Thai people. It has created a long-lasting spiritual bond between them and their Monarch in a way that people from other cultures may find hard to understand.

The Thais love and revere their King deeply for reasons beyond a simple explanation; and it seems that they can't have enough of him. But if one is to venture to explain why the King is so popular among his people, then it is safe to assert that it is because the King has practised the highest virtue in accordance with Buddhist ideology during the 60 years of his reign.
It is simply amazing that the ninth King of the Chakri Dynasty bears such huge popularity like a rock star. People line up in long queues to acquire a variety of the memorabilia associated with the jubilee celebration, such as stamps, Bt60 denominated banknotes, the Royal Emblem, the yellow shirts with the Royal Emblem or with a simple phrase "Rak Nai Luang" (Love the King).
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/06/15/headlines/headlines_30006493.php

Guests delight in King's celebration
Bhutan, Kuwait hope to capture memory of event by boosting ties with Thailand

The Crown Prince of Bhutan and the Sheikh of Kuwait were delighted to have attended the celebration of His Majesty the King's 60th anniversary on the throne, caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai said yesterday.

At 9.30am, Surakiart had an audience with His Royal Highness Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck of Bhutan at the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel and spoke with him for nearly an hour.
"The Crown Prince told me he had met with several other kings and queens in his lifetime, but his dream was to meet the King of Thailand because he had closely followed the work of HM the King. So this occasion has made his dream come true," Surakiart said.

He said bilateral relations between Thailand and Bhutan were at their best, adding he expressed Thailand's readiness to share its knowledge and expertise with Bhutanese officials in the fields of agriculture and industry. At the same time, Thailand is also interested in learning from Bhutan, especially its success in environmental conservation.

Later, at 11.40am, Surakiart went to the Intercontinental Hotel to meet with His Highness Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah of Kuwait and talked with him for about 40 minutes.
"His Highness asked me to pass on his congratulations to the King and wish His Majesty very good health. He said he felt very honoured to be at the celebration. It was the first time that representatives of 25 royal families had gathered together in one place," he said.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/06/15/headlines/headlines_30006494.php

Thank you so much Jess for having spent so much time on this threat to make it look as beautiful and informative as it is now. You have done such a wonderful work. :)

zineb said:
well said rosa.
i noticed her excitement whenever she greeted the king and queen of thailand :confused:
something is different between her and other princesses. They looked calm, but she doesn’t. she seems flashy and over looked.

yes, crown princesses (mette-maritt, maxima and mathilde) are lovely, simple, elegant and calm
it seems that lalla salma likes all what is flashy, it's her right, but personally I don't like that
about her excitement, I think that she was tense in front of the royal couple, and she didn't know how thanks them with elegance

I think theese are different, from Rex

Attachments

• 592969BK.jpg
    592969BK.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 308
  • 592969BL.jpg
    592969BL.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 592969BM.jpg
    592969BM.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 592969BN.jpg
    592969BN.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 320
  • 592969BT.jpg
    592969BT.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 487
  • 592969V.jpg
    592969V.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
IT's all from Pantip - so many Thai people capture these wonderful shot of His and Her Majesty take care of each other.That's really impressed moment I will not forget the meaning of "True Love" from this shot.

I thought Lalla Salma looked quite elegant in Thailand this week. Her western outfits were stylish and her caftans were quite pretty too, not so over-the-top in terms of colour and pattern as they've been in the past. The red caftan with the contrasting emerald jewellery was quite striking. I only wish she'd do something different with her hair. Its quite unique and makes her stand out among all the other royals.

Last edited:
clymène said:
I agree the colour of her caftan is not beautiful at all. But the jewelry seems nice. Thanks for posting little star!

Clymene I agree with you. The green Jewelry is gorgeous (looks like jade) but the dress is too bright. Washs out her pale complexion

Another lovely pic of Pss Ubolratana and her two daughters during the celebration
(from pantip.com)

Attachments

• A4454989-12.jpg
    A4454989-12.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
Beautiful pictures of Grand Palace of Bangkok & the Chao Phraya River during the diamond jubilee celebrations
(from pantip)

549000009056108.jpg

549000009056107.jpg

549000009056106.jpg

549000009056105.jpg

549000009056103.jpg

549000009056102.jpg

Could someone let me know why black is forbidden to wear in Thailand. What about funerals?
One newspaper report said the Queen wore black but her dress for the banquet sure looked brown to me and a gorgeous dress I must say, my favorite.

Another thing that I observed and maybe it has been covered before, if so my apologies, but I noticed that the majority of Royal woman did not wear tiaras.

Charlotte

I can only answer your question about funerals as I did see a whole bunch of photos of the funeral of Ubol Ratana's son. All members of the Royal family were dressed in black, so I guess it is permitted for funerals..

charlottestreasures said:
Could someone let me know why black is forbidden to wear in Thailand. What about funerals?
One newspaper report said the Queen wore black but her dress for the banquet sure looked brown to me and a gorgeous dress I must say, my favorite.

Another thing that I observed and maybe it has been covered before, if so my apologies, but I noticed that the majority of Royal woman did not wear tiaras.

Charlotte

Where did you get this picture. I have looking for it but cannot find it.

ysamnuan said:
Another lovely pic of Pss Ubolratana and her two daughters during the celebration
(from pantip.com)

Thank you for sharing the pic with us. Khun Mai's grown taller than Khun Ploy now. Both are as stunning as their mother.

Beate said:
I can only answer your question about funerals as I did see a whole bunch of photos of the funeral of Ubol Ratana's son. All members of the Royal family were dressed in black, so I guess it is permitted for funerals..
Yes, in Thai culture, black wardrobes had been suitable only for sad events like funerals. But nowadays, it has changed. We can dress up in black colour for banquets or in business. However, for happy events such as wedding ceremonies or Buddhist ceremonies, if we wear black colours, we will be justified by other people that we don't have tact.:)

Janevlierd said:
Where did you get this picture. I have looking for it but cannot find it.
The formal website (http://www.thaiphotocenter.com/index.php) for this glorious events is no longer in service. I don't know the reason.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's the woman behind trying to take photos,is she the King's duaghter?

these are photos someone i know captured them so enjoy !!:)

Attachments

• _LoOkKaEW__G_0606131906.jpg
    _LoOkKaEW__G_0606131906.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 332
  • CA9PF7UK.jpg
    CA9PF7UK.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 326
  • _LoOkKaEW__G_0606131903.jpg
    _LoOkKaEW__G_0606131903.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 335
  • 13mog013.jpg
    13mog013.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 301
Salomé said:
Who's the woman behind trying to take photos,is she the King's duaghter?

Yes ,

She is Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn . :)

Last edited:
I thought (apart from the yellow suit) that what Lalla Salma wore in Thailand was stunning. Particularly the white kaftan.

STUNNING!!!!

June 17, 2006

Thai people hold candles as they look at a giant image of King Bhumibol Adulyadej projected on a screen during an event to celebrate the king's 60th years in the throne held at a sport complex in Bangkok, Thailand, on Saturday June 17, 2006. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit/Polfoto)

Bangkok, THAILAND: Fireworks light the sky in Bangkok as thousands of Thai well-wishers gathered to mark the 60th anniversary on the throne of revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej, 17 June 2006. Royalty from 25 countries came to Thailand last week for a Grand Palace banquet for the 78-year-old king and other glittering events, including a rare procession of 52 elaborately carved royal barges on the Chao Praya River. (AFP/Getty Images)
http://img125.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc244&image=46949_2.jpg

several more unposted pictures :

on 13 June 2006

Prince Albert & Prince Alois visiting Jim Thompson House

Queen of Malaysia

Queen Silvia arriving for gala banquet on 13 June 2006

Prince Andrew & Grand Duke Henri arriving at Royal Navy Club on 12 June 2006

(sources : manager & getty)

All the news on King Carl Gustav & Queen Silvia's private visit to Phuket can be found here

while, all the news on Crown Prince Jigme of Bhutan's trip to Phuken can also be found here

purple_platinum said:
ps. Why is the Sultan of Brunei in front of the plane, is he flying it himself?
it's possible since the sultan knows how to fly a plane!

for me salma wasn't by far the most beautiful princess in Thailand ceremony, it's true that she has a pretty shape of eyes, and a nice smile, but she also many features that aren't at all pretty
for me, her face lack of grace ( I saw her by near on TV),
I think also that because there aren't many red-haired princesses and her look is enough theatrical (her hairs and her clothes), journalists focus on her
already, in MRF she isn't the most pretty, for me she is in the best in the fifth position, after Meryem, Hasna, Soukaina and zeineb

Last edited:
Couture of the court
space.gif

Regal dignity and casual flair mingled memorably in the costumes of Thailand's royal guests

The celebrations for His Majesty the King's 60th anniversary have had Bangkok awash in colour and spectacle. And while his citizens have set the country alight in a blaze of yellow commemorative shirts, the costumes of the visiting heads of state also provided a visual feast, a rare show of royal colour from all over the globe.
The array of regalia on view for this auspicious occasion has made for some fascinating fashion viewing. Many of the images that will remain with us are the more intimate glimpses of the visiting dignitaries in relatively casual attire taking in the sights of the city......................
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/06/20/entertainment/entertainment_30006819.php

This week's point de vue also has a 15page coverage of the diamond jubilee
images from pointdevue.fr
pdvcouv397089tc.jpg

Last edited:
Lalla Salma always dresses appropriately for the wife of a king, never too casual and smart - even if you don't approve of the colours. It needs somebody with flamboyant colouring like Salma's to be able to carry off such a rich shade of red and those jewels. Redheads are flamboyant to look at, that is part of their charm. Brunette isn't the only type that can look good.

Hi! Everybody!

My name is Chantira. I am Thai.
I am very happy to tell you that HRH Princess Lalla Salma was one of the most popular monarchs in the royal gathering in Bangkok last week. She has all the attributes that make people admire her; her beauty, youth, intelligence, personality. In the official functions, she was stunningly beautiful, and very correct. When she went sightseeing on a private basis, the media also reported that she was very charming, and easy-going. She also observed the muslim traditions very strictly. It was reported that the hotel area where she stayed was all closed off to men. The hotel was requested to send only female staff to serve her and her entourage. In short, everything she did during her stay only endeared her to Thai people.

To do the Princess justice, on the matter of her wearing yellow dresses during the official functions, I think she was being very polite and very correct on etiquette. Yellow is the color of the King of Thailand, both as the color of H.M. King Bhumiphol's birthday (Monday), and the color of the royal standard. As most of you must have seen from the pictures, Thai people are wearing yellow everywhere now. So I think the Princess must have intentionally worn yellow dresses on two occasions as a courtesy to our King, which was really greatly appreciated. :)

Three Princesses in Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn' Family at the royal banquet
(Pics from Pantip.com)

A4458184-162.jpg

when you look on www.vtm.be en than click on 'programma's A to Z' than pick 'Royalty' and than on the right you see 'herbekijke royalty' you can watch the programm of last sunday.. with very good views of Mathilde and Maxima:) :)

Back
Top Bottom