King Charles III Diagnosed With Cancer

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's very strange that they haven't identified the kind of cancer Charles has or the expected course of treatment. He received such praise for being frank about his prostate problems, this is a worrying turn.

I think it's very strange that they haven't identified the kind of cancer Charles has or the expected course of treatment. He received such praise for being frank about his prostate problems, this is a worrying turn.

I think it's fair for the King to keep some aspects of his diagnosis private. I'm sure once he's recovered more details will be released.

Prayers for a quick and complete recovery for HM.

I think it's fair for the King to keep some aspects of his diagnosis private. I'm sure once he's recovered more details will be released.

The thing is, they've already let the genie out of the bottle by being so open about his prostate problems. Turning around a few weeks later not releasing information makes this problem seem especially concerning.

I respect his right to privacy, but this is a bad situation from a PR perspective.

I don't do prayers - instead I hope he has the best treatment science has to offer, which is what I wish for anyone who has a potentially serious condition.

There is no need for any sort of regency. The King will be carrying on with state business as usual. He just won't be carrying out public engagements, presumably because he's undergoing a form of treatment which weakens the immune system.

In terms of public engagements, having both the King and the Princess of Wales out of action is going to be difficult, but Kate should be back at work in a couple of months.

Hopefully his Majesty will recover.

I do think it's time to recruit Beatrice and Eugenie. JMHO

I disagree. The RF workload can be cut down significantly. Most of it isn't essential to the King's duties. I'd prefer to restrict it to whatever the King's immediate family and siblings can reasonably cover.

All the best.
Maybe a genetic thing, as Charles seems to have lived a rather healthy lifestyle.
Somehow unfair IMO, shortly after he got the job such a desease.
<grumbles>

There is no need for any sort of regency. The King will be carrying on with state business as usual. He just won't be carrying out public engagements, presumably because he's undergoing a form of treatment which weakens the immune system.

In terms of public engagements, having both the King and the Princess of Wales out of action is going to be difficult, but Kate should be back at work in a couple of months.

The Princess of Wales, if all goes well, should return to public events within a few weeks. However, William, Sophie and Edward and Princess Anne are expected to have busier schedules with public events.
But it's been a difficult start to the year for the royal family.

Best wishes to King Charles for a full recovery.

Feeling very sad and sorry for King Charles - hopefully he recovers quickly and the treatment isn’t too bad. Also thinking of Queen Camilla at the moment as the news has probably been a shock to her. I do think the current situation with both Charles & Catherine temporarily sidelined from face to face engagements highlights an ongoing struggle for the family eg as Charles Camilla and Anne age (I’ve picked them as they are older than the Wales or Edinburgh couples ) health concerns may continue to emerge.

I assume this is the reason that the public yesterday wasn't allowed up close but had to look on from a distance. They couldn't risk the king catching any virus from the public before he started his treatment today. I am glad that in that way he was able to attend church yesterday, that must have been comforting to him.

The thing is, they've already let the genie out of the bottle by being so open about his prostate problems. Turning around a few weeks later not releasing information makes this problem seem especially concerning.

I respect his right to privacy, but this is a bad situation from a PR perspective.

I agree and I find this worrying too. They were probably open about the prostate issue because as somebody said earlier, prostate cancer is quite treatable and survivable and - in comparison - less dangerous than other forms.

To say now he has cancer but not giving any details can only mean that it is more serious and could lead to some unpleasant discussions in public.

All the best to King Charles, hopefully the treatment is successful.

Most royal houses wouldn’t even say as much as they did in the statement… I think they have been surprisingly transparent so far…

Had it been for QEII or Prince Philip they would likely not have said anything at all… In best case a short statement that they would be taking some time off to undergo a few neccessary medical procedures with no mention of the c-word…

More from palace briefings, posted by many news outlets but quoted from the Telegraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...charles-diagnosed-cancer-live-updates-latest/

The King contacted both the Duke of Sussex and the Prince of Wales personally to tell them of his cancer diagnosis.

All of the King’s siblings, the Princess Royal, the Duke of York and Duke of Edinburgh, were also notified personally by Charles, 75, royal aides confirmed.

The Prime Minister was also informed of his condition.

Prince William, who returns to public duties this week after helping to settle his wife, the Princess of Wales, at home as she recovers from abdominal surgery.

He may also undertake some duties on behalf of his father, in addition to his own diary of engagements, while the King undergoes treatment.

Palace aides said His Majesty was looking forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible.

Counsellors of State, those appointed to stand in for the monarch if he is incapacitated, are not expected to be called upon.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman confirmed that the Queen “will continue with a full programme of public duties.”

Similarly, all working members of the Royal family will continue with a full programme of public engagements and may undertake some additional duties on behalf of the monarch as required.

Some basic medical context from The Times' health editor Kat Lay:

[...]
When patients go into hospital, doctors carry out a number of tests to check they are fit to undergo treatment. It may be that one of those flagged the “issue of concern” referred to in the Palace’s statement. It may also have become apparent during the procedure to deal with the enlarged prostate itself.

Cancers can grow anywhere in the body, including the bladder and bowel, and there are few screening tests available in the UK.

[...]

At the age of 75, Charles is entering the years when people are most likely to develop cancer. In the UK each year more than a third of new cases are in people aged 35 [a typo: should be 75] and over. The highest rates are in the 85-89 age group.

According to Cancer Research UK, the most common cancers among men aged over 75 in the UK are bladder, bowel, lung, melanoma skin cancer and prostate cancer.

Surgery is usually the first treatment to try for most types of the disease, according to the NHS. However, the Palace statement says the King “has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments”, which he is to receive as an outpatient. This suggests another type of cancer treatment such as chemotherapy, radiotherapy or immunotherapy.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...gnosis-prostate-royal-family-palace-c62r0vt8b

It makes sense to start a thread for this news, but I’m saddened to see it just the same.

I can’t imagine what a shock this has been for everyone he’s close to. Charles has always seemed to be in good health.

As another poster said- I’m glad he was able to attend church yesterday.

It’s more than mildly concerning that they found cancer when they weren’t looking for it and the King was displaying no symptoms of anything. Hopefully it means whatever they found can be quickly dealt with.

Easy treatment and a speedy recovery to His Majesty.

I hope the King's treatment is successful and that he makes a full recovery.

Most royal houses wouldn’t even say as much as they did in the statement… I think they have been surprisingly transparent so far…

Had it been for QEII or Prince Philip they would likely not have said anything at all… In best case a short statement that they would be taking some time off to undergo a few neccessary medical procedures with no mention of the c-word…

You're absolutely right that they would not have said anything or mentioned cancer in the past, but for Charles to go so public with his prostate problems just a few days ago only to go silent about what kind of cancer he has is a very worrying choice.

You're absolutely right that they would not have said anything or mentioned cancer in the past, but for Charles to go so public with his prostate problems just a few days ago only to go silent about what kind of cancer he has is a very worrying choice.

Eh...I disagree. I don't think it's as big a deal as you're making it.
I think the press would be inquisitive any way the statement was. And I think the Palace doesn't give a flying fig if the press or Twitter runs rampant with theories.

One could also say he’s gone pretty public with this. It’s been pointed out he could have issued an Elizabeth-style statement about medical issues.

Keeping unnecessary details private (he doesn’t want the whole country googling this) is entirely within his right, as it is with any of us and our health information.

I agree and I find this worrying too. They were probably open about the prostate issue because as somebody said earlier, prostate cancer is quite treatable and survivable and - in comparison - less dangerous than other forms.

To say now he has cancer but not giving any details can only mean that it is more serious and could lead to some unpleasant discussions in public.

All the best to King Charles, hopefully the treatment is successful.

I also wish all the best to the King.

On a general comment, the British Royal Family should be more transparent about the health of its members. In this day and age, being vague or secretive only invites more speculation and, although patients are entitled to privacy and medical confidentiality, there is a public interest when the person in question is the head of state.

On another issue that has been discussed, it does not seem that there is any need for a regency in the immediate future. If the King becomes at some point incapable of performing his duties due to his infirmity, then there is a legal framework for the Regency Acts to be activated. But again, barring speculation, there is no reason to anticipate that it will come to this.

Friendly reminder:

in line with the way we have been moderating the Sussex discussion these last years, please post any remark or information about the Duke and Duchess in relation to the king's illness in the Sussex thread in that subform.

The mod. team does not want this health thread to be completely swamped with commentaries about the Sussexes, hence the request.

Any remark about the Duke and Duchess in this thread will be deleted without notice.

Eh...I disagree. I don't think it's as big a deal as you're making it.
I think the press would be inquisitive any way the statement was. And I think the Palace doesn't give a flying fig if the press or Twitter runs rampant with theories.

I think the palace and government have already tacitly signalled that the diagnosis is serious by the briefing that the king personally notified all his siblings (and children), the public statement in the House of Commons, the disclosure that the US president will be calling him, etc.

I too wondered about the reason for avoiding identifying the form of cancer, given the new openness - I fully respect the King's choice not to disclose his specific diagnosis, but since he is willing to let it be known that he has cancer and that it is serious, it must be a different reason why he is keeping it private - and my speculation is that identifying the specific cancer would make it easier for the media and public to begin discussing survival rates for this specific form of cancer, or to discuss anatomical details, which might (understandably) make him more uncomfortable than public discussion of cancer in general.

It does seem like his sacrificing some degree of privacy by revealing that he has cancer is creating publicity about cancer and cancer screening (the cancer charities he and the queen patronize are being widely quoted), so kudos to him.

I think the palace and government have already tacitly signalled that the diagnosis is serious by the briefing that the king personally notified all his siblings (and children), the public statement in the House of Commons, the disclosure that the US president will be calling him, etc.

I too wondered about the reason for avoiding identifying the form of cancer, given the new openness - I fully respect the King's choice not to disclose his specific diagnosis, but since he is willing to let it be known that he has cancer and that it is serious, it must be a different reason why he is keeping it private - and my speculation is that identifying the specific cancer would make it easier for the media and public to begin discussing survival rates for this specific form of cancer, or to discuss anatomical details, which might (understandably) make him more uncomfortable than public discussion of cancer in general.

It does seem like his sacrificing some degree of privacy by revealing that he has cancer is creating publicity about cancer and cancer screening (the cancer charities he and the queen patronize are being widely quoted), so kudos to him.

That is precisely what I was going to say. I think KCIII has handled it perfectly in releasing just the right amount of information regarding his diagnosis. As I said before, when this is over, I'm certain more details will be released.

Is this form of cancer benign?
I'm wishing a speedy recovery!

It’s more than mildly concerning that they found cancer when they weren’t looking for it and the King was displaying no symptoms of anything. Hopefully it means whatever they found can be quickly dealt with.

Easy treatment and a speedy recovery to His Majesty.

Let's hope it means 'early discovery'. I would have found it more concerning if he'd had lots of symptoms but ignored them for a long time.

Is this form of cancer benign?
I'm wishing a speedy recovery!

Cancer is never benign. If it had been a benign tumor, it wouldn't have been cancer. Furthermore, the palace chose not to reveal which type of cancer it was nor the stadium it is in, so nobody has any additional information on the specifics.

I don't do prayers either, so I'll echo the poster above who said they hope KCIII gets the best medical treatment science has developed for whatever form of cancer he's currently being treated for.

I'll also say that younger members of the family should pitch in for the time being and help out with some public events, at least while the Princess of Wales is still recovering from whatever major issue necessitated surgery and almost two weeks in the hospital.

The TV news channels haven't talked about anything else for the last 2 1/2 hours. If more details were released, they'd be interviewing every so-called expert from here to Antarctica, and I don't think that would be helpful. Even monarchs are entitled to keep some details of their medical problems private.

Back
Top Bottom