King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 2: Dec 2005 - Nov 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks

iannis said:
Constantine becane a King at the age of 24. He had a good relationship with the leader of the central party and Prime Minister Georgios Papandreou, until an insident which occured in 1965.
Georgios Papandreou's son, the later PM Andreas Papandreou, was said to be organising a conspiracy among the army, which would have as a target the overthrowing of monarchy and establishing a communist regime. In the general elections of 1965 Georgios Papandreou's party took over 50% of the votes and G. Papandreou was called by the King to organise his government, according to the constitution. With the accusations against his son holding, G. Papandreou claimed holding for himself the ministry of National Defense, which would investigate the accusations for conspiracy. The King refused to sign him having that ministry, since he found it illegal for G.P. to lead a state organ which would judge a conspiracy accusation against his son. Therefore, he proposed G.P. taking the ministry of National Defence and the accusation being judged by the ministry of Justice. G.P. refused, resigned and started a continuous fight against the palace and the King, called the 'anendotos' and giving a speach to the people of Athens where he rhetorically asked: "Who governes this country? The King or the people?". The King gave to other politicians of G.P's party the opportunity to organise the new government, which took around a year and a half, because many of the MPs refused having a government without G.P as a P.M.
Elections were about to be held in May of 1967 again, but a military coup of 3 central generals took over, prisoned most of the MPs and political leaders and tried to convince the King to join them. The King wanted to gain some time and in December of '67 attempted to do an anti-coup which was not successful. So, he left the country with his family.
When the junta came to its end, he was not allowed to come back to the country and take part in the referendum of '74 for the form of the regime. He accepted the result of the referendum which was 69% for republic led by a president, but did not abdicate, since he could not be present. He lives with his family abroad since 1967, yet, the last three years they visit Greece quite often.

Sorry if that was too many historical details. Yet, the truth should never be boring
Thank You it's very interesting, I think nobody has the right to throw anybody out of there country It's very sad. :)
\

Daytona said:
http://www.greekroyalfamily.org/index.cfm?get=news&show=news&ItemID=189

konstantinos and Anna-Maria are visiting Greece.According to a friend of Konstantinos who was asked yesterday at television he wont be spending Easter holidays in Greece he nor any of his family.

Are the children with them? On the website there are only TM mentioned.
I doubt if Pavlos or Alexia joined them, since they have their own families, but how about Nikolaos and the young ones?

iannis said:
Are the children with them? On the website there are only TM mentioned.
I doubt if Pavlos or Alexia joined them, since they have their own families, but how about Nikolaos and the young ones?
I saw videos from their visit and it was only Konstantinos and Anna Maria.I dont know if Nikolaos is in Greece or if he is accompaning his parents but i doupt it.I was amazed by the fact that they are very simple,Konstantinos was driving his car.

I looked at the picture of the Greek royal family Chrismas card 1985.
How cute Thodora and Alexia. How handsome Pavlos and Nikolaos.
They all look good. I thik beauty runs in the Greek royal family. and
I have never heard such a noble family as them. But they do not rule
in Greece any longer. What a pity!

where did you find the picture from the Christmas Card?
I've never seen it;)

There are their annual Christmas cards from 1985 to 2005 on the Greek royal family -home page. Point "Historical Archive". Then click "photo archive". You can find it on its last page.

His Majesty King Constantine, President of honour of the International Sailing Federation (ISAF) smiles during the award ceremony at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel on May 05, 2006 in Berlin, Germany. Ken Ryan was presented with the ISAF Beppe Croce Trophy 2006 for his outstanding voluntary contribution to the sport of sailing

from getty

Attachments

• 57542693.jpg
    57542693.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 57542701.jpg
    57542701.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 283
  • 57542704.jpg
    57542704.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Today, the day the Greek Orthodox CHurch celebrates Saints Constantine and Heleni, is His Majesty's name day

Χρόνια πολλά, Μεγαλειότατε!!

Happy name day, Your Majesty!!

I hear that they are looking for a house in Greece. I wonder in what phase it is the search.

They apparently bought a house in Patmos sometime last year.

There were rumors that he was searching for a house,not that he has already bought.It was said that Konstantinos was looking for a house at Ekali,Porto Heli and today a newspaper wrote about Hermioni.But what i believe is that he owns the villa in Palaio Psichico,which was a royal residence.This house is owned by a Greek billionnaire,ship owner who has bought this house 10 or 15 years ago and who has not made any restorations(the house is ruined) and ofcourse is not using it.Two years ago when the issue of Konstantinos property was cleared by the court of human rights and after stating that he will be visiting Greece more often,all of a sudden restorations were begun at villa Psichico.I would like to note here that Konstantinos and this ship owner are actually friends.But then again this is only my assumption!

I remember being told by a Greek that they had already bought a rich man's house, but my Greek consists of being able to recognize the alphabet and nothing more, so I would only know what Greek-speakers tell me it says.

I know the Greek Royal Family and all but everytime I read something about them, I wonder is it Constantine or Konstantine? I have seen both spellings in accredited sources. So which one is correct?

soCal girl said:
I know the Greek Royal Family and all but everytime I read something about them, I wonder is it Constantine or Konstantine? I have seen both spellings in accredited sources. So which one is correct?

The King's name (Κωνσταντίνος) translated in English is Constantine, coming from Latin. Konstantinos is the transcription of his name with characters of the alphabet of modern latin languages.
Therefore the term Konstantine is wrong, since it's neither the translation nor the trascription of Κωνσταντίνος in latin alphabet. Classic latin alphabet, and therefore the root constant- , by which the name derives, does not include the letter K.

Of Citizenship and Status

iannis said:
The 'official' problem of the greek mainly left-wing politicians is not the title rather the fact that he used to use "Former King of Greece" as a surname in his passport, which I can not understand why should he give up, since that is the only true
However, what drives me mad is not these reactions, rather than the fact that they do not show respect to somebody who was legally the head and symbol of their nation for years. :confused:

One thing that must be understood here is that the Greek Constitution, even the one in effect before the abolition of monarchy, does not recognize titles. For example, the title of Duke of Sparta that the first King Constantine was using while a Crown Prince and was also used by the current King Constantine, former king of the Hellenes, is through and through unconstitutional. A similar situation can only be found in Norway, where both royal titles as well as titles of nobility have been abolished. As in Norway, Greece was recognizing only the titles of King (and his consort), Diadoch (heir to the throne and his consort - usually styled as princess Diadoch, πριγκίπισσα Διαδόχου) and Royal Children - ΒασιλόπαιδεΣ). Importantly, even when royal in their own right, consorts of Greek princes were not styled as princesses of the blood. For example, when HRIH grand duchess Elena of all Russias married prince Nicholas, she was reduced to merely princess Nicholas of Greece - πριγκίπισσα Νικολάου. Another example: when Alice of Battenberg married prince Andrew of Greece, she became princess Andrew of Greece - πριγκίπισσα Ανδρέου. Importantly, grand children of even reigning kings had no title, that is, they were not princes or princesses.
Thus, all Greek citizens are private citizens and must have a surname. After all, royals all over Europe do have a last name. If the monarchy were to be abolished, in Sweden, the king and family would become citizens Bernadotte; in Denmark, citizens Glucksburg or Rosenborg; in Great Britain, citizens Windsor-Mountbatten and so on and so forth.
Socially or among royal circles, king Constantine may certainly use the courtesy title of former king of the Hellenes, he may perhaps still be entitled to be addressed as HM because he did reign and he was annointed, but he must adopt a surname if he wants to be a Greek citizen and hold a Greek passport.

Last edited:
reximperatorx said:
One thing that must be understood here is that the Greek Constitution, even the one in effect before the abolition of monarchy, does not recognize titles. For example, the title of Duke of Sparta that the first King Constantine was using while a Crown Prince and was also used by the current King Constantine, former king of the Hellenes, is through and through unconstitutional. A similar situation can only be found in Norway, where both royal titles as well as titles of nobility have been abolished. As in Norway, Greece was recognizing only the titles of King (and his consort), Diadoch (heir to the throne and his consort - usually styled as princess Diadoch, πριγκίπισσα Διαδόχου) and Royal Children - ΒασιλόπαιδεΣ).
According to Constantine, he never used the Sparta title, it was mistakenly given to him by the press, but he has stated that it is incorrect to use it.

Daytona said:
There were rumors that he was searching for a house,not that he has already bought.It was said that Konstantinos was looking for a house at Ekali,Porto Heli and today a newspaper wrote about Hermioni.But what i believe is that he owns the villa in Palaio Psichico,which was a royal residence.This house is owned by a Greek billionnaire,ship owner who has bought this house 10 or 15 years ago and who has not made any restorations(the house is ruined) and ofcourse is not using it.Two years ago when the issue of Konstantinos property was cleared by the court of human rights and after stating that he will be visiting Greece more often,all of a sudden restorations were begun at villa Psichico.I would like to note here that Konstantinos and this ship owner are actually friends.But then again this is only my assumption!

Be happy when a King invests in places!!Ha!Ha!Neighbouring estates are HAPPY!!!!I would advise His Majesty to buy North!!The Northern the better!!Go,North Your Majesty!!!

kelly9480 said:
According to Constantine, he never used the Sparta title, it was mistakenly given to him by the press, but he has stated that it is incorrect to use it.

Yes,but His Majesty HAS the Title!!!

iannis said:
The King's name (Κωνσταντίνος) translated in English is Constantine, coming from Latin. Konstantinos is the transcription of his name with characters of the alphabet of modern latin languages.
Therefore the term Konstantine is wrong, since it's neither the translation nor the trascription of Κωνσταντίνος in latin alphabet. Classic latin alphabet, and therefore the root constant- , by which the name derives, does not include the letter K.

I simply don't change K(ωνσταντινος) with C(onstantine).I like K(onstantine)because I have a pin, K with a crown in the middle,wich is valuable to me.Greek was in fashion before Latin,so let it be K;)

Wrong

kelly9480 said:

I wish what he claims was true. I have in my library a rare book of 1958 about the Royal House of Greece, edited and published officially by the Ministry of State [Υπουργείο ΠροεδρίαΣ ΚυβερνήσεωΣ] while Constantine karamanlis was Prime Minister and George Rallis Minister of State [ΥπουργόΣ ΠροεδρίαΣ ΚυβερνήσεωΣ]. In that book, Constantine was styles as "HRH, The Diadoch Constantine, Duke of Sparta", "AΒΥ, ο ΔιάδοχοΣ ΚωνσταντίνοΣ, Δούξ τηΣ ΣπάρτηΣ". This, in fact, shows that even the (right-wing) governments of the time were committing unconstitutional acts because they were fearing the wrath of Frederika. Indeed, they were peons in her hands until the democratic George Papandreou rose to power in 1964 [George Papandreou should not be confused with his son, Andreas Papandreou, Prime Minister in the 80's and 90's, nor with his grandson (and son of Andreas) George A. Papandreou, current Leader of the Opposition in the Greek Parliament.
Αnd let me add one more thing. If Constantine were respectful of the Constitution, even the one in effect before the abolition of monarchy (in 1974), he should have never allowed Mrs Marie-Chantal Miller to be styled or addressed as "royal" or "highness" or "crown princess", simply because, according to the Greek precedent, princes marrying commoners had to resign their rights to the throne, cease to be princes/royal/hignesses etc., their marriages were morganatic and their spouses retained their maiden names. For example, prince Michael's wife, a Greek commoner, Ms Marina Karella, upon her marriage to him, remained Marina Karella, he resigned his rights to the throne and his two daughters (Olga and Alexandra) are commoners and not (self-styled) princesses.

Last edited:
reximperatorx said:
I wish what he claims was true. I have in my library a rare book of 1958 about the Royal House of Greece, edited and published officially by the Ministry of State [Υπουργείο ΠροεδρίαΣ ΚυβερνήσεωΣ] while Constantine karamanlis was Prime Minister and George Rallis Minister of State [ΥπουργόΣ ΠροεδρίαΣ ΚυβερνήσεωΣ]. In that book, Constantine was styles as "HRH, The Diadoch Constantine, Duke of Sparta", "AΒΥ, ο ΔιάδοχοΣ ΚωνσταντίνοΣ, Δούξ τηΣ ΣπάρτηΣ". This, in fact, shows that even the (right-wing) governments of the time were committing unconstitutional acts because they were fearing the wrath of Frederika. Indeed, they were peons in her hands until the democratic George Papandreou rose to power in 1964 [George Papandreou should not be confused with his son, Andreas Papandreou, Prime Minister in the 80's and 90's, nor with his grandson (and son of Andreas) George A. Papandreou, current Leader of the Opposition in the Greek Parliament.
Αnd let me add one more thing. If Constantine were respectful of the Constitution, even the one in effect before the abolition of monarchy (in 1974), he should have never allowed Mrs Marie-Chantal Miller to be styled or addressed as "royal" or "highness" or "crown princess", simply because, according to the Greek precedent, princes marrying commoners had to resign their rights to the throne, cease to be princes/royal/hignesses etc., their marriages were morganatic and their spouses retained their maiden names. For example, prince Michael's wife, a Greek commoner, Ms Marina Karella, upon her marriage to him, remained Marina Karella, he resigned his rights to the throne and his two daughters (Olga and Alexandra) are commoners and not (self-styled) princesses.

If they Princesses Alexandra &Olga are not princesses of greece and denmark then why Royal Forums have a special thread about them???Ha??:D:D:D

ChevalieurduCiel said:
I simply don't change K(ωνσταντινος) with C(onstantine).I like K(onstantine)because I have a pin, K with a crown in the middle,wich is valuable to me.Greek was in fashion before Latin,so let it be K;)

Well, then K can stand for Konstantinos or Κωνσταντίνος, which are both correct;)

reximperatorx said:
For example, the title of Duke of Sparta that the first King Constantine was using while a Crown Prince and was also used by the current King Constantine, former king of the Hellenes, is through and through unconstitutional

The title was also given to CP Pavlos

ChevalieurduCiel said:
If they Princesses Alexandra &Olga are not princesses of greece and denmark then why Royal Forums have a special thread about them???Ha??:D:D:D
Most people who are interested in Royal Families recognise Michael, Alexandra and Olga as Princesses of Greece and Denmark, Royal Highness, and that's good enough for us. :)

Last edited:
iannis said:
The title was also given to CP Pavlos
Not according to Constantine, it wasn't. He has always said that the Sparta title is not supposed to be used because it was a one-off for the first CP and wasn't meant to be used ever again (and was never supposed to be used inside Greece). The Ministry of State may have accorded the heirs this title, but according to Constantine, such an accordance is not in compliance with the constitution.

Happy birthday-wishes

Don´t know whether this is the correct message board to post but: KONSTANTIN turns 66 today.HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

I just saw konstantinos in his car at my street.He was with the guy he is always following him and i think it was Nikolaos as well.What a rush!

Daytona said:
I just saw konstantinos in his car at my street.He was with the guy he is always following him and i think it was Nikolaos as well.What a rush!

You are very very lucky. :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom