King Constantine has passed away - January 10, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see your point, as I am not so familiar with that history as you are.
But, do you think that the Greek people are wishing the monarchy back?
If so they could make another referendum such as "We want the monarchy back" because that was so much better for us?

In a republic where monarchies have been abolished for good reasons, nothing is perfect. No party, no politician is perfect! But, at least people can vote every 4 or 5 years and don't have to endure a king who rules and they have no chance whatsover to put them down.

As we all know those European monarchies that still exist only have a representative role (similar to presidents in other european countries without monarchies). A representative of the state who goes to foreign countries, talks about some political issues , once a year talks to the people in a public speach, but cannot make any important political decisions.

Similar to the royals which are still remaining in Europe, that is ok.

I don't understand why you are getting so upset?
He still calls himself "crown prince" and the whole family has been acting and is on social media with a constant presence to show that they are "Royals".
Nothing wrong with that, they can do what they want, and they are rich and have a history and are important.

I regret, but you didn't again see my point, sorry. But, opinions differ, so we have to live with it.

I shouldn't have mentioned the "Hohenzollerns" as I know you are a fan.
But , they are keeping very much in the background, which is decent.
I mentioned it just as an example of gone monarchies, that's all.

No. There is no any chance for restoration.
The Greeks have endured a military dictatorship and - rightly or wrongly- blamed King Constantine for "allowing it" (one might ask what he actually could do).

The coup, the military dictatorship, the counter coup, the republican follow-up, all this tumbled Greece into chaos and the people have not forgotten that. Add to this: the brainwashing by State and mainstream media, constantly putting a negative light on Constantine.

Even when the nation rocked on its foundations in the 2010's, when it had to be bailed out on the verge of bankruptcy at the cost of draconic measures, there was not one, not one, call for a return of the monarchy. If even in a situation of the pure survival of the total failed Greek State there was no such desire: forget it. The monarchy will never be restored again in Greece.

Last edited:
I think MC doesn't have the slightless interest in being "Queen".
She's first and foremost a business woman, she won't try to get one over her mother-in-law (which as far as we know she has always had a good relationship with) nor to make people bow/curtsey to her.
I wonder how Constantinos Alexios feels about this, seeing that he's now the "heir" of the family, I don't think he's been raised the way his father was.

Obituaries appearing online state Prince Philip was King Constantine's uncle when actually they were first cousins once removed. There seems to be very little research done when writing such statements.

Yes I saw that on the BBC and several other outlets and are possibly getting mixed up with Prince Andrew of Greece who was a grand uncle of King Constantine II.

I think MC doesn't have the slightless interest in being "Queen".
She's first and foremost a business woman, she won't try to get one over her mother-in-law (which as far as we know she has always had a good relationship with) nor to make people bow/curtsey to her.
I wonder how Constantinos Alexios feels about this, seeing that he's now the "heir" of the family, I don't think he's been raised the way his father was.

I totally agree with you. MC is interested in the lifestyle, title, and jewelry of royalty but not with the work that comes along with it. Being a satellite to royalty fits her perfectly -- she shines in the glow of the light but that's about it.

Besides ... she has her own fortune and lifestyle ... in some aspects she's the queen of that.

Considering MC was never expected to be a Queen we can not be complaining that she is not behaving like one. Greece is a republic. A right-wing military dictatorship has forced the royal family out. 50 years have passed, we can not blame the family for seeking carreers and lives elsewhere. Especially considering the -IMO vile- way various Greek governments have treated the RF until very recently.

Queen Anne Marie will retain her title of Queen until her death. Crown Prince Pavlos, with that title, will now be the Head of the Royal House, Marie Chantal is the Crown Princess Consort. Prince Alexios will not have the title of Crown Prince, because he is not the son of the King, he will be invited to royal events as Prince, always.

Queen Anne Marie will retain her title of Queen until her death. Crown Prince Pavlos, with that title, will now be the Head of the Royal House, Marie Chantal is the Crown Princess Consort. Prince Alexios will not have the title of Crown Prince, because he is not the son of the King, he will be invited to royal events as Prince, always.

Is this information from an official statement released by the Royal House?

I can't see Constantine Alexios carrying the torch for the monarchist cause (does he even speak Greek?). In fact, I am not sure that even Pavlos will do it. His wife and children have their careers and commercial interests between the US and the UK and Greece seems to be only a vacation spot for them.

Last edited:
I feel sad for Queen Sofia and Princess irene.
In 1964 in the same Cathedral were the Funerals of their Father King Pavlos , King of Greece with national Funerals and sorrow of his whole people.
They saw their Brother the new King Constantine II full of hope and his wedding with Princess Anne Marie of Denmark. The birth of Alexia and Pavlos the Heir .

In 1967 King Constantine II lost his throne for ever . He is he very last King who lost it in Europa.
And Queen Frederika their so ambitious Mother. Princess Irene stayed with her.

Will they return to Greece ?

I didn't expect to see Queen Letizia but am glad that she will be there to support her husband at his uncles Funeral.

I didn't expect to see Queen Letizia but am glad that she will be there to support her husband at his uncles Funeral.
I never doubted it. She has, may be with the exception of ther greek CPcss (?), no reservations against the GRF.

I don't understand why you are getting so upset?
He still calls himself "crown prince" and the whole family has been acting and is on social media with a constant presence to show that they are "Royals".
Nothing wrong with that, they can do what they want, and they are rich and have a history and are important.
Well, they ARE Royals. You don´t lose that automatically with your throne. King Constantine was a son, grandson, nephew and cousin of monarchs, Princes and aristocrats. With Queen Anne-Marie it is the same. Her parents were a reigning royal couple as well as her grandparents - both related to Queen Victoria. Royalty runs in both their veins in abundance, so to speak. By that, all their children and grandchildren are, too!
The greek Royals are not only royal by one dynasty, but they are also royal by the (ruling!) danish royal house. All of them are "Princes/ cesses of Greece AND Denmark", not because a danish Princess married a greek King in 1964, but because in 1863 a danish Prince was chosen to ascend the throne of the Hellenes.
By that you can see that things are not as simple as many may claim when they say "Oh, the greek monarchy was abolished, so they are not royal anymore, don´t deserve their titles..." etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never doubted it. She has, may be with the exception of ther greek CPcss (?), no reservations against the GRF.

Indeed, nothing shows she has anything against the GRF in general (can't say the same in reverse though). If her schedule allows her she definitely will attend, afterall it's her uncle in law's funeral, that's a pretty close relative.

Is this information from an official statement released by the Royal House?

I can't see Constantine Alexios carrying the torch for the monarchist cause (does he even speak Greek?). In fact, I am not sure that even Pavlos will do it. His wife and children have their careers and commercial interests between the US and the UK and Greece seems to be only a vacation spot for them.
I don’t see anything changing, this is most likely what will happen. It’s not a matter of whether or not Constantine-Alexios speaks Greek because the monarchist cause is not part of his life and I don’t believe he cares. They will still be invited to royal events because of close ties and relations.

I think you are right. This is the way it should be. CP Pavlos is now de facto Head of The Royal House, period.

And as far as the titles of his sons and his daughter it is business as usual.

Queen Anna Maria, accompanied by her children, went today to the Royal of Ttoi cemetery, to determine the place where her husband, King Constantine, will be buried.
The Queen and the King decided years ago to determine the exact place where they wanted to be for eternal life. They chose to have sea views. From the tomb of King Constantine you would see the sea.

https://www.europapress.es/chance/r...-entierro-rey-constantino-20230112132901.html

Is Alexia there? I haven't seen pics of her.

Queen Anne Marie will retain her title of Queen until her death. Crown Prince Pavlos, with that title, will now be the Head of the Royal House……

Please excuse my nitpicking, but there isn’t a Greek royal House
anymore for the simple reason that the institution was abolished.
I suppose you meant that Pavlos will be the head of the (former) Greek royal
family??? :flowers:

Last edited:
Please excuse my nitpicking, but there isn’t a Greek royal House

anymore for the simple reason that the institution was abolished.

I suppose you meant that Pavlos will be the head of the Greek royal

family??? :flowers:
The monarchy has fallen, but the royal house is still extant. In the same way that there are still the houses of Romanov, Hohenzollern, Braganza, Orléans, Romania, Petrovič-Njegoš, Aisin Gioro, Habsburg-Lothringen, Hannover, Pahlavi etc etc ...
Also often the term house and family are interchangeable and refer to the same entity.

Last edited:

yes, there is Alexia and Theodora, they have all accompanied Queen Anna Maria to the place where King Constantine wanted to be buried. Constantino said in an interview that he and his wife, Anna Maria, had chosen their future house in the Tatoi cemetery. I have read that it is near the tomb of King Paul and Queen Frederica.

It makes me ashamed to see the state of the cemetery, I knew it was bad, but it's worse than bad, it's a shame that the authorities have it like this, it's a shame, they haven't even cut down the burned trees from two years ago . I am very sad.

The monarchy has fallen, but the royal house is still extant. In the same way that there are still the houses of Romanov, Hohenzollern, Braganza, Orléans, Romania, Petrovič-Njegoš, Aisin Gioro, Habsburg-Lothringen, Hannover, Pahlavi etc etc ...

In my view these abolished royal houses are very much a thing of the
past, they exist as historical dynastic entities only.
My point however is that a royal house, as we know them in a o
Scandinavia, is the official institution of working royalty.
Anyway, I don’t want to mince words with my good neighbours in Sweden:flowers!
The Greek refer to themselves as the Greek royal family on their
website, and that’s how I perceive them.

yes, there is Alexia and Theodora, they have all accompanied Queen Anna Maria to the place where King Constantine wanted to be buried. Constantino said in an interview that he and his wife, Anna Maria, had chosen their future house in the Tatoi cemetery. I have read that it is near the tomb of King Paul and Queen Frederica.

It makes me ashamed to see the state of the cemetery, I knew it was bad, but it's worse than bad, it's a shame that the authorities have it like this, it's a shame, they haven't even cut down the burned trees from two years ago . I am very sad.

I too have read it, he would want be buried in a site of cementery where it could be see the sea.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.c...60_2776658405797481_8918557484809233157_n.jpg

I read in this blog in spanish that it(tomb of King Constantine) would next to tomb of King Paul.

https://lafamiliarealgriega.blogspot.com/2023/01/la-reina-ana-maria-desolado-acomapanda.html

Tatoi really is in a deplorable condition, but the saddest thing yet is to find out that- thus far-, there is no positive response from the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew whom the family invited to preside over the service, Nikolaos is very fond of him.
They don't deserve this mistreatment.

Since the Princess Royal is in Cyprus, it will most likely be her who represents the BRF at the funeral.

Tatoi really is in a deplorable condition, but the saddest thing yet is to find out that- thus far-, there is no positive response from the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew whom the family invited to preside over the service, Nikolaos is very fond of him.
They don't deserve this mistreatment.

Since the Princess Royal is in Cyprus, it will most likely be her who represents the BRF at the funeral.

I wonder though that Anne would stay so long in Cyprus, its only a visit for a few days and she will probably return to Britain today or tomorrow.

Tatoi does look horrible for a burial site. but I wonder that the Greek royals who spend much time there didn't look at the site before and could have done somthing themselves to improve it. They couldn't expect that the government would do it.

I also wonder that they both decided to be buried in Greece as they spent most of their life abroad. If Annemarie moves to Denmark or London to live near one of her children or her sister it would be much more better if they had chosen a burial site there. But, it is probably still that strong sense of history, because all exkings of Greece are buried there.

Here you can see her on the backseat: photo.

Princess Anne was in Cyprus on January 10 and 11, today she has engagements in London again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom