King Edward VII (1841-1910) and Queen Alexandra (1844-1925)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maryprincessroyal said:
I noticed in a pic that Edward and Bertie were dressed like little girls, was it the rule in royal Families ?

Yes, young boys were dressed in outfits that would indeed look like dresses. When they were old enough, they were put into breeches.

maryprincessroyal said:
I noticed in a pic that Edward and Bertie were dressed like little girls, was it the rule in royal Families ?
Not just Royal Families. It was pretty standard at the time. I have seen photographs where my distant uncles are wearing much the same. It looks very odd to us today, but par for the course probably up until the start of WWI.

Queen Alexandra's imposing beauty never ceases to astound me. The most intriguing Royal I have ever had the honour to learn about.

"MII"

maryprincessroyal said:

My g-grandpa is dressed like that, too, in a childhood photo. I think it looks cool. :p

The book "Developing the picture: Queen Alexandra and the art of photography" has some nice pictures. Here are a few that I don't think have been posted yet.

1. June 1864 (Photo: Robert Bingham)
2. Circa 1859 (Photo: Georg E. Hansen)
3. June 3 1961 (Unknown photographer)
4. July 1862 (Photo: Georg E. Hansen)
5. Sept. 1862 Engagement portrait (Photo: Ghemar Freres)
6. Nov. 1862 Windsor Castle (Photo: J.J.E. Mayall)

7. July 1864 Queen Victoria and her daughter Alice with Alexandra (Photo: Jabez Hughes)
8. Summer 1867 Recovering from rheumatic fever (Photo: J. Russell & Sons)
9. 1908 With her sister Marie Feodorvona of Russia (Unknown photographer)
10. 1898 (Photo: Alice Hughes)

She was a beautiful woman...she looks so fragile!

I echo the "fragile" description (although only regarding her appearance) - if you have ever seen her gowns in person you would be very impressed by her tiny waistline. I believe she was quite petite too.
I love these photos, esp. the one of her hair down and arms crossed.

Last edited:
These are very good large-size pics. Thank you Squidgy. :)

Thanks for all the wonderful pictures. I just love looking at them.

Is true that Alexandra's sister, princess Thyra, had a child when she was a single? and for this her parents, Christian IX and queen Louise forced to princess to married with a German prince? I'm sorry for my bad English.

You might want to go and ask in the Danish forum rather than here.

What an AWESOME thread!
I am absolutely one of Queen Alexandra's most ardent fans!
And I have never seen some of those pictures - especially the ones if formal and court dress - she was truly the epitome of Edwardian elegance!!

Squidgy said:
Summer 1867 Recovering from rheumatic fever
That first picture of her, with her arms folded across her chest and her hair down is absolutely STUNNING. Most women at the time didn't wear their hair down in formal photographs after a certain age, so for her as royalty to be photographed so informally is quite shocking, really. I read the caption and it said that she was recovering from a fever, so she wasn't even in the best of health and she still looks better than most. Amazing.

I'd like to see a recreation of that picture with someone else in it....perhaps Princess Eugenie or Beatrice.

Last edited by a moderator:
beatrice inherited alexandra's bug eyes.
i think dagmar & alexandra make the best siblings everr!

pretty obvious that olav was her favourite grandchild eh ?

Has anyone seen the picture of Princess Alexandra, Princess Dagmar, and Princess Thrya playing cards with thier father, King Christian IX?
Great picture!!

Where did this picture ofthem playing cards appear?

It is in The Queen's Jewels by Leslie Field - page 152.
This book has some great pictures in it.

Thanks for the info!

You are most welcome!
Do try to find that book, if you can - I think its a definitely a great purchase!

When I Googled it, I realized I had it already. They they are on p.152. I wonder how the King felt?

I would think that good ole King Christian would have been right proud!
First of all, he seemed to be a good, kindly, family man...... and 2nd... he was with his three gorgeous daughters - each charming and beautiful in the their own way, yet so alike!!!!

I know this sounds kind of mean, but those bulging eyes both on her and Princess Maud, especially, are SCARY, to look at. Imagine having one of them coming to wake you up in the morning and you open your eyes and that is the first sight you see....those bulging eyes...

Card Game

Here's the pic of the card game. I thought I had sent it earlier, but apparently it didn't stick.

AlixDagmarThyraChristianCardgame2.jpg

:flowers:

What an awesome picture, gogm. Thank you for sharing that gem. :)

Lady Marmalade said:
I know this sounds kind of mean, but those bulging eyes both on her and Princess Maud, especially, are SCARY, to look at. Imagine having one of them coming to wake you up in the morning and you open your eyes and that is the first sight you see....those bulging eyes...

Ha! Though I must say, I have big bulging eyes and was always sensitive about it (being called bug eyes and fish eyes didn't help) until an old gentleman neighbor of my grandmother told me I had eyes like Queen Alexandra. It made me feel alot better.

Thanks for posting the pic of the Queen Alexandra and her family, GoGm

And KUDOS to the gentleman who complimented your eyes anc compared you to Queen Alexandra, Bella

Could some one please post a particular magnificent picture of Queen Alexandra? It is actually from a painting of the Queen´s anointing,
peeresses holding the canopy over her; it´s spectacular!
(seen in abook called "tiaras")

Back
Top Bottom