King Ramiro I of Aragon and Queen Ermesinda (or Gisberga) and Queen Inéz (or Agnes)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Ramiro I, King of Aragon (before 1007 - Graus, 8 May 1063); married in on 22 August 1036 Countess Ermesinda (? - 1054); married 2ndly in 1054 Duchess Agnes of Aquitaine (), who married 2ndly Count Pietro I of Savoy

Dynasty: Jímenez

Reign: 1035 - 1063

Children: King Sancho I of Aragon and Navarre, Prince Garcia of Aragin, Bisshop of Jaca; Countess Sancha of Urgell and Toulouse; Princess Urraca of Castile, nun in Santa Cruz de la Séros; Countess Teresa of Provence

Parents Ramiro: King Sancho III of Navarre and Sancha de Aybar

Parents Ermesinde: Count Bernard-Roger of Foix and Countess Gersende of Bigorre

Parents Agnes: Duke Guillaume VII of Aquitaine and Duchess Ermesinde of Lorraine

Half-Siblings Ramiro: King Garcia Sanchez III of Navarre; Count Fernando I of Castile, King of Léon; Count Gonzalo Sanchez of of Sobrarbe and Ribagorza and Prince Bernanrdo Sanchez of Navarre

Siblings Ermesinda: Count Bernard II of Bigorre; Count Roger I of Foix; Count Heraclius, Bisshop of Bigorre and Queen Estefania of Navarre

Sister Agnes: Countess Clementia-Ermengard of Luxembourg, later Countess of Guelders

Last edited:
From the wikipedia article here:

Ramiro I (bef.1107 - 8 May 1063) is usually credited with being the first King of Aragon. Apparently born before 1107, he was the natural son of Sancho III of Navarre by his mistress Sancha de Aybar. Ramiro was reputed to have been adopted by his father's wife Mayor after he was the only of his father's children to come to her aid when needed, although there is no surviving record of these events, and the story is probably apocryphal.
During his father's reign, he appeared as witness of royal charters starting in 1011, and was given numerous properties in the county of Aragon, and by the division of Sancho's realm on the latter's death in 1035, the county of Aragon fell to Ramiro with the title of baiulus or steward. The foundation traditions of the Kingdom of Aragon would make him the first king, (he is, on account of the small size of his Pyrenean kingdom with its capital at Jaca, sometimes called a "petty king") and he was called king by his vassals, neighbors, the church and even his sons, yet he referred to himself always as simply Ranimiro Sancioni regis filio (Ramiro, son of King Sancho). Likewise, in his wills, he refers to his lands as simply having been given him in stewardship by his half-brother García and by God. He is likewise called regulus (rather than rex used for García) and quasi pro rege (acting as if king) in charters from Navarre.
Ramiro sought to enlarge his lands at the expense of both the Moors and his brother, García. Shortly after the death of his father (the date variously placed from 1036 to 1043), he supported the emir of Tudela in and invasion of the Kingdom of Navarre of his brother García. He was defeated in the Battle of Tafalla, but out of the conflict gaind lands, including Sanguesa, and established a state of semi-autonomy. In 1043, he annexed Sobrarbe and Ribagorza, held by his youngest legitimate half-brother, Gonzalo, apparently with the approval of García.
Before he was married, Ramiro had a mistress named Amuña with whom he had a natural son, Sancho Ramírez, in whom he confided the government of the county of Ribagorza.
Ramiro wed his first wife, Gisberga, daughter of Bernard Roger of Bigorre, on 22 August 1036. She changed her name to Ermesinda on marrying him. Together the couple had five children:
  • Sancho Ramírez, his successor
  • García, Bishop of Jaca
  • Sancha, married Armengol III of Urgel
  • Urraca, nun in Santa Cruz de la Serós
  • Theresa, married William Bertrand
Ramiro's second wife was Agnes (Inés), a daughter of the Duke of Aquitaine. Ramiro set the advance from Aragon toward Huesca and Zaragossa,after annexation of Ribagorza and Sobrarbe. To him is due the first Chart for the Royal town of Jaca,that will set the example of an ideal Community (included well defined laws of protection even to non residents) for later urban rights until late in the Middle Ages.
Ramiro died at the Battle of Graus in 1063 while trying to take the city

Last edited:
Why did Gisberga of Bigorre change her name to Ermesinda?

Back
Top Bottom