Least Appreciated Royal Jewel: Queen Margrethe's "Golden Poppies" Hair Ornament

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you very much for the warm welcome Scooter!:flowers:

I shall leave the Poppies alone for a while, now that I have added my opinion to this thread and try and find out some more about my newest bete noire....Princess Astrid's Wings horror!:eek:

Oh Connie C.. I am still trying to keep up with the likes of you. I am afraid that I will fail. May I suggest that you start a thread of your own.... I DARE anyone to write as well as you!
Welcome, Welcome, once again. :)

Oh stop it...I am blushing! Enough of the Golden Poppies....otherwise I fear I really may start having nightmares about them.... Now, I'm off to indulge in a jolly good rummage and rootle in my quest to unearth some more information and horror pictures pertaining to Princess Astrid's Bunny girl wings thingy!

Go Go my girl! I would love to see the Princess Astrid's Bunny thingys.... I know not of what you are speaking.. :(

While scrolling through all things Margrethe jewelery I found the infamous "Poppy" earrings had another outing. :p

Danish Royals arrive at a gala performance of Pyotr Tchaikovsky's ballet "The Nutcracker" for guests at the COP1 United Nations Climate Change Conference, at the Royal Danish Theatre in Copenhagen December 16, 2009.

Kongelige og klipklapper i Det Kongelige Teater | www.bt.dk

I think Queen Margrethe is a lesson to us all that we should enjoy life and embrace all things whimsical. Let's face it, against that wonderul deep brown non PC fur, they look positively divine. :D

I agree with you MARG, of all the glorious Queens, Margrethe seems the most "huggable"!!!!

I noticed that when she wore them. And they don't look too bad, they match the pendant she is wearing.

Ditto, Rubies! She just always seems to be so real and down to earth...

Thanks for the link, Dee. Interesting... however the Poppies are Still ugly, imo!! lol

Isn´t that a poppy in the back of her hair in pic nr 4 :eek: Thankfully the photografer didn´t let it hurt our eyes ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn´t that a poppy in the back of her hair in pic nr 4 :eek: Thankfully the photografer didn´t let it hurt our eyes ;)
Wow, you really looked closely! It certainly must be a poppy. I don't mind them so much if they come seperately, since I think that the poppies themselves are not that ugly. The really awful thing about them is the setting. Especially in the head-piece.... it just makes me shudder:eek:

For those who didn't jet notice: B.T. galery pictures can be enlarged (and several times) by right mouse clicks. I love that function!

Queen Margrethe
pic

I'm afraid to ask. What the HECK is that?!?!:bang:

Now you know how I feel!

I wish the Queen would release a picture of them when she has them battery powered to light up. Ms Cutmantle would really have some awesome stuff to say then. :D And the bunny ears tiara? Oh baby!:eek:

i have just seen hmm these unique jewels they could be used as corsages on a dress or just one or two in the hair but definatiy unique:flowers:

The ugliest tiara I have ever seen!

The poppies are just bad! I think it's funny she has worn them more then once too. Is there a reason why she needs to bring them out of the vault at all?

The poppies are just bad! I think it's funny she has worn them more then once too. Is there a reason why she needs to bring them out of the vault at all?

My sentiments exactly. Just because it originally came out of the vault, has historical/monetary value and might have looked good 200 years ago, certainly does not mean that it is an elegant or appropriate piece to still wear today.

Last edited:
My sentiments exactly. Just because it originally came out of the vault, has historical/monetary value and might have looked good 200 years ago, certainly does not mean that it is an elegant or appropriate piece to still wear today.
Not from the Vaults and not over 200 years old:

file.php
  1. The Poppy Tiara
    Made by Arje Grieg in 1976 was commissioned by Queen Margrethe and belongs to her.
    This tiara is made of 21 carat gold hammered thin plates. Each flower is filled with baroque pearls and four stamens each ending in diamonds. Moonstones and aquamarines are attached to the leaves, which portray dewdrops. Some of the flowers have insects that are made of oriental pearls, crystals, opals, moonstones and diamonds.
    I believe this is a parure that is made up of a necklace and earrings. The main headpiece can be taken apart so that only a few flowers can be worn.
    I’m not too sure when the last time the Queen wore this but I’m thinking it was to her eldest son’s engagement dinner with only a few flowers.

21.jpg

Above: Queen Margrethe wearing the piece complete with earrings and necklace.
    3833101-dengang-for-r-siden-projekt.jpg

Above: The Queen wearing the headpiece.
    attachment.php

Above: The Queen wearing a couple of flowers in her hair from the main headpiece at her son’s engagement dinner.
    file.php

Above: According to the picture, it looks like the drops on the necklace and earrings are changeablemmmm.

Thank you Marg for these photos and detailed information. I must confess that, close up, the flowers are rather pretty. I think two or three flowers properly placed in one's hair would look rather elegant. Even one of the flowers would make a lovely brooch. However, in the one photograph, Queen Margrethe went a little overboard and looks almost as if she was preparing for an appearance in "Swan Lake". I am not too fond of the high choker necklace. Overall she does look quite "jolly" though. Again thank you for these photographs and bringing us all up to date.

Last edited:
Thank you Marg for these photos and detailed information. I must confess that, close up, the flowers are rather pretty. I think two or three flowers properly placed in one's hair would look rather elegant. Even one of the flowers would make a lovely brooch. However, in the one photograph, Queen Margrethe went a little overboard and looks almost as if she was preparing for an appearance in "Swan Lake". I am not too fond of the high choker necklace. Overall she does look quite "jolly" though. Again thank you for these photographs and bringing us all up to date.

I agree, I think the individual flowers are very nice (though the ones with the insects not so much). If she just wears one or two in her hair she looks elegant and unique since I don't recall seeing many royals, especially Queens, wearing these sort of whimsical hair accessories. Mostly it's a full on tiaras/crowns or nothing!

Was the last time the puppies were seen at frederik and marys engament dinner?

:previous: No. I spotted an outing in December of 2009 look ravishing against a fabulous fur coat. (see post 155). I am scouring the threads for any more recent "outings". :flowers:

For some reason, I find this tiara creepy. Perhaps I was frightened by a yellow flower during my formative years.;)

I must say that I agree that one or two of the flowers look overall better, but I do secretly love the full on cabbage patch effect when she wears the whole thing! I can't wait for Queen Margrethe to wear the whole thing again!
It is interesting that you mention about Swan Lake, because she loves ballet and maybe got the inspiration from there!

I guess she hasn't learnt less is more. Especially with these poppies the headpiece the earrings the necklace all together is way too much. Just a couple of poppies in the hair would be good even the earrings are a little much. Up close they are pretty but what is with the insects? I mean really they don't need to be there.

Less is more - with Queen Margrethe?! LOL - have you seen her fabulous gala gowns and floral trench coat!

Back
Top Bottom