Nicest National Anthems?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess_Beatrix

Courtier
City
moved to
Country
Spain
Which National Anthems do you like best?

As a German I have to admit that I love the National Anthem of my birthcountry. :D
It's a masterpiece by Joseph Hayden. Such a strong melody.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okeOdqc3Wk4&feature=related

i also think that the spanish anthem is nice... too bad there are currently no lyrics...

italy has a gorgeous anthem too - everytime i hear it i just have to hum along. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edUiRbUHDl4&translated=1
I think my favourites are: (in no particular order)
The German Anthem
The Italien Anthem
The Frensh Anthem
The Anthem of the UK
The Anthem of the USA
The Austrian Anthem
The Spanish Anthem
and after I watched the closing ceremony of the olympic games yesterday night... I also adore the russian anthem! such a strong and powerful anthem- wow!

If Canada would adopt "The Maple Leaf Forever" with the new lyrics, that would be my favorite!

I might be biased but I think that the Dutch Anthem is the best. Especially when the people sing it. There is no anthem like ours.

YouTube - Het Wilhelmus Nederland - Italië 2008

It's nice to see the whole Dutch football team singing their anthem; a lot of Italian football players don't know it, it's always horrible when Italian anthem is played and only a few of them sing it, and sometimes they mistake the lyrics... :nonono:

Germany and Italy!

well my favourite of the three posted must be that of Germany, as it evokes (for me anyway), the Grandeur and the Majesty of Germanys imperial and royal past, i find it so moving .....:cool:

It's nice to see the whole Dutch football team singing their anthem; a lot of Italian football players don't know it, it's always horrible when Italian anthem is played and only a few of them sing it, and sometimes they mistake the lyrics... :nonono:

It has been the same here. This always resulted in angry replies of people in the press and such so the last coach of the national team actually made a big point about it and they all sung along. Under the present coach I am not sure if that is still the case. Always a painful moment is when we have to sing that Willem was of German blood, as when the anthem was written Duitsch meant Dietsch, which is Dutch... or so we are told ;). The best way to sing it is with a church organ, like the psalms:

YouTube - Nederland Zingt - Wilhelmus

-
The Dutch is the almost the oldest anthem of the world (the Japanese one is older). It dates from the time when we became independent and it is basically about introducing William of Orange to the people.
Officially it has only been our national anthem since 1932, before that they used the Wilhelmus and the 'Wien Neerlands Bloed':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsbxXJwWHFM&feature=related

Personally I really like the melody of the German anthem (originally the emperors hymn of Austria) and also the Norwegian national anthem:

YouTube - The National Anthem of Norway - A Capella

Not a national anthem, but one of the province of Frisia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_37qV6_Of3o&feature=related

And by André Rieu, the anthem of Limburg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsJvplX4JGw

Last edited:
My favorites are:

-the Spanish Anthem, Marcha Real (When Infanta Cristina got married, it was played at the organ when she entered the cathedral :flowers:!)
-the UK anthem, very regal and solemn
-the US anthem
-and the French anthem, even if I dislike some of the lyrics...

Personally I really like the melody of the German anthem (originally the emperors hymn of Austria)
Yes, right. It became the Anthem of Germany in 1922. The text for the Anthem, which is called "Deutschlandlied", was written in 1841.
When I was younger I never understood why they played the German anthem in the Sissi movies. :lol:
I also like the "new" Austrian anthem so much.

The anthem of the former east-Germany was also not bad, but I prefer the west german anthem. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eam_XScivh8

What do you guy think about the anthem of Europe? "Ode an die Freude" by Ludwig van Beethoven? Isn't it gorgeous?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTsQk7IKyTk&feature=related

:previous:

Oh, it definitely is. I have always loved "Ode to Joy". :flowers:

My favourite are (melodies):
Swedish
Canadian
UK
French
Bhutanese
Burundian
Jordanian
Polish
US
Ucrainian
Lithuanian

Marengo: You also see a diversity of the players singing it. The white Dutch players sing along. The ones of different nationalities don't. Only Van Bronckhorst does.

YouTube - Maud- Wilhelmus

The national anthem of Sardinia. It was written in honour of King Carlo Alberto of Savoy, the King of Sardinia, and it is obviously
sung in Sardinian language:

YouTube - Il Meraviglioso Inno dei Sardi

My favorite ones are: Bulgarian and Russian.

I think everyone is a little patriotic and thinks the own national anthem is the nicest... also because of the emotional connection you have to it.
What I mean: I think everyone who once stood in the crowd in a soccer stadium or on the victory podium and then "your" athem starts playing ... this is one of the most moving moments. At least that's my experience.

So, the anthem of Germany is my favourite ;). Personally I adore the melody.
TheEuropean "anthem" is one of the biggest masterpieces ever.
Actually there are so many anthems I really like alot.
I love the anthems of Greece, Italy, France, Russia, Sweden.... and sooo many more...

Now I also want to post a "National anthem sung in the stadium" video :lol:
YouTube - Gänsehaut in Dortmund, Länderspiel Deutschland-Polen

Last edited:
Star Spangled Banner

*Is the best national anthem ever written*

Russia!
...strange of a swede to think that :) because Russia always used to be our worst enemy - from a historic point of view... together with Denmark of course :D
And when I grew up in the 80s, we used to call the Sovjet national anthem (now Russias) "the hockey song", because CCCP always won the world championship in Hockey...

I love the French one,and the Spanish one.

very strange,I used to admire italian players for singing their national anthem with great passion and this was obviousely noticed during WC 2006 .I also noticed that in torino 2006 winter olympics ,everyone "players,attendents and even the prime minister and the italian president" was singing the anthem with great passin.

My favourite anthem is definetly the italian then the french one.
I esp. like the italian anthem that was song by eight years old girl at the opening ceremony of torino 2006 wo.:whistling:

My favourite is the Australian National Anthem - Advance Australia Fair . This version is not the usual arrangement but is probably the best I have heard(the anthem itself starts at 2:30). The singer of the second verse, Julie Anthony, made a career out of singing the anthem. An interesting point is that the second verse is not widley know and only played on official occasions. Many credit the Sydney olympics as being when Australians realised their anthem was longer than they thought. YouTube - Sydney Olympics - Australian National Anthem

a lot of Italian football players don't know it, it's always horrible when Italian anthem is played and only a few of them sing it, and sometimes they mistake the lyrics... :nonono:

Hey MAfan, did you noticed how many of our foreign fellow posters like our anthem? Surely because they do not understand a word...:lol: No offense intended kids, it's not your fault.

I wonder how many Italians know the lyrics properly. In fact was was written back in the XIX century, in an obsolete language. Besides it's a long one and consists of 5 strophes. One of them was removed from the official anthem, because it was openly anti German.:whistling:
I'm wondering if it's still officially Italy's "temporary" national anthem... If you can call it temporary a thing lasting from 1946!;)

Hi, does anybody have an affectation for African national anthems -apart from me?;) I've heard many, many national anthems so far and I think that Africa has definetely the best rate in nice melodies (from vivid to melancholic)among the different continents:flowers:. Two of my favourites are the anthems of Ethiopia and Burkina Faso, but it's worth hearing (nearly) all of the African ones!
I also deeply like those ones of Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India and Bangladesh (the two latter composed by Tagore, as far as I know).
Greetings,
Lina

Hey MAfan, did you noticed how many of our foreign fellow posters like our anthem? Surely because they do not understand a word...:lol: No offense intended kids, it's not your fault.

I wonder how many Italians know the lyrics properly. In fact was was written back in the XIX century, in an obsolete language. Besides it's a long one and consists of 5 strophes. One of them was removed from the official anthem, because it was openly anti German.:whistling:
I'm wondering if it's still officially Italy's "temporary" national anthem... If you can call it temporary a thing lasting from 1946!;)

Yes, I noticed; but to be honest, I definitely dislike our anthem, the lyrics are out of place now.
I much more prefer a more solemn, for example I really like the music of the former Austro-Hungarian anthem by Haydn, now German anthem, suitable for all kinds of occasions; if the present Italian anthem (but also the former Marcia Reale) was played during a funeral, for example, it would sound horrible imo.

Back
Top Bottom