On this Day in French Royal/Imperial History

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this day, October 14, 1499 ~ Birth of Claude of France, Queen of France. She was the daughter of King Louis XII of France and the first spouse of King Francis I.

Claude was also Duchess of Brittany from 1514 upon the death of her mother Anne de Bretagne until her own death in 1524.Had it not been for the Salic Law ,Claude would have been Queen of France ,during her later married married life she was also denied any rights to be Regent by her formidable mother in law ,Louise de Savoie who took that role with relish..

322px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Claude_de_France.svg.png

Last edited:
On this day, October 19, 1851 ~ Demise of Marie Therese Charlotte, Duchess of Angouleme. She was the daughter of King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette.

On this day, October 21, 1422 ~ Demise of King Charles VI of France in Paris

Also on October 21st,Death of Alix de Thouars,Duchess of Brittany and Countess of Richemont in 1221.Her remains were buried along side her mother Yolande de Bretagne at Abbaye Notre Dame de Villeneuve near Nantes.Nothing remains of the abbey or ducal tombs as they were completely desecrated and destroyed in 1793 and the remains dumped in a pit.

Tombeau_Alix_de_Thouars_et_Yolande_de_Bretagne.png

23rd October 1516 -Birth of Charlotte de France,second daughter of King François I and Claude de Bretagne.

373px-Jean_Clouet_Charlotte_of_France_MIA_35798.jpg

On this day,28 October 1533 -The marriage of Henri ,Duc d'Orléans (later Henri II of France) & Catherine de Médicis at Marseilles ,kingdom of France.

593px-L%27empoli%2C_nozze_di_caterina_de%27_medici_con_enrico_II_di_francia%2C_1600.jpg

On this day, November 2, 1160 ~ Wedding of Henry the Young King and Marguerite of France, the daughter of King Louis VII of France, at Neuborg, Normandy

On this day, November 2, 1160 ~ Wedding of Henry the Young King and Marguerite of France, the daughter of King Louis VII of France, at Neuborg, Normandy

Marguerite married secondly,King Béla III of Hungary in 1186 a couple of years after the death of Henry the Young .

Also born on November 2nd was Yolande d'Anjou, future Duchess regnant of Lorraine & Bar,Countess of Provence in 1428 at Nancy.

372px-Ambito_francese_-_Iolanda_d%27Angi%C3%B2%2C_duchessa_di_Lorena_e_di_Bar%2C_contessa_di_Vaud%C3%A9mont.jpg

Last edited:
November 3rd ,1573 :Birth of Catherine de Lorraine daughter of Charles III of Lorraine and Claude de France and was named in honour of her grandmother,Catherine de Médicis.

348px-Dassy-Christine_de_Lorraine.jpg

Blanche de Castille,widow of Louis VIII was appointed Queen Regent following the kings death for their son,Louis IX of France.

393px-Saint_Louis%2C_roi_de_France%2C_remettant_la_regence_a_sa_mere_Blanche_de_Castille%2C_par_Joseph-Marie_Vien.jpg

On this day, November 11, 1441 ~ Birth of Charlotte of Savoy, Queen of France, the second wife of King Louis XI

On this day, November 11, 1441 ~ Birth of Charlotte of Savoy, Queen of France, the second wife of King Louis XI

Charlotte de Savoie was the daughter of Louis I ,Duke of Savoy and Anne de Lusignan who herself was a daughter of Janus of Cyprus and Charlotte de Bourbon .

328px-Charlotte_de_Savoie%2C_reine_de_France.jpg

14th of November 1522 -Death of Anne de France,Duchess de Bourbon and Duchess d'Auvergne,daughter of Louis XI and Charlotte de Savoie.
Anne acted as Regent of France upon her fathers death from 1483 until 1491 during the minority of her brother Charles VIII and again during her brothers Italian Campaigns 1494-1495.

344px-Master_of_Moulins_-_Anne_of_France%2C_Duchesse_de_Bourbon%2C_Presented_by_St_John_the_Evangelist_-_WGA14465.jpg

On this day, November 15, 1498 ~ Birth of Eleanor of Austria, Queen of France, the spouse of King Francis I of France

On this day,November 16th,1528 : Birth of Jeanne d'Albret future queen of Navarre the only surviving child of Henri II de Navarre and Marguerite d'Angoulême.

JeannedAlbret03.jpg

On this day, November 15, 1498 ~ Birth of Eleanor of Austria, Queen of France, the spouse of King Francis I of France

Born an an Archduchess of Austria and Infanta of Castile ,Eleanor was the eldest child the Archduke Philip of Austria and Joanna of Castile,she was later queen consort of Portugal and France.

Eleanor with her sibling Charles and Isabella of Austria.

640px-Charles_V_and_his_sisters.jpg

On this day, November 17, 1755 ~ Birth of King Louis XVIII at the Palace of Versailles

On this day, November 17, 1755 ~ Birth of King Louis XVIII at the Palace of Versailles

Louis was styled Count of Provence from birth until the Bourbon restoration in 1814,he married Marie Joséphine de Savoie in 1771 but the Countess died in exile in England in 1810.

There were no children from this union.

On this day,November 24th 1468 :Death of Jean d'Orléans, Count of Dunois and Longueville who was a natural son of Louis I, Duke of Orléans and leading French military figure during the final years of the Hundred Years War. The Count was buried beside his wife Marie d'Harcourt at Notre-Dame de Cléry and their burials survived rampages of both the Huguenots and French Revolution.

JeandOrleansComtedeDunoisMiniature.jpg

On this day, November 26, 1252 ~ Demise of Blanche of Castile, Queen Consort of King Louis VIII of France

On this day, November 26, 1252 ~ Demise of Blanche of Castile, Queen Consort of King Louis VIII of France

Blanche was buried at the abbaye de Maubuisson Notre-Dame-la-Royale which she had founded in 1241 and survived until its dissolution in 1793 when it was largely destroyed .Nothing remains of the burial site or once magnificent tomb of Blanche de Castile.

Blanche_of_Castile_tomb.jpg

On this day 27th November 1422 -Birth of Gaston IV, Count of Foix & Bigorre,Viscount of Béarn, Marsan, Castelbon, Nébouzan, Villemeur ,Lautrec and Narbonne.He was the son of Jean I, Count of Foix and Jeanne Dame d'Albret.He married Eleonor de Navarre in 1436.

331px-Armorial_de_Gilles_Le_Bouvier_-_BNF_Fr._4985_f_119v_-_Gaston_IV_de_Foix-Bearn.jpg

Nov 29

561- The Frankish kingdom is divided when Clothar I dies and is succeeded by four of his sons. The kingdom remained divided until his grandson Clothar II reunited the kingdom. Clothar was the youngest legitimite child of Chilperic I, he himself a younger son (his mother was Clothar I's second wife). Chilperic had four brothers who reached adulthood. 3 older brothers from his father's 1st wife (who the kingdom was divided between him and them) and one younger brother from a 3rd wife. The younger brother turned on their father, and predeceased him anyways.

1314- Death of Philip IV. His sons were Louis X, Philip V and Charles IV. He was also the father of Queen Isabella (wife of Edward II of England).Within 14 years of his death, all three of Philip's sons would die. Though he had 12 male line grandchildren, only 3 were boys. Louis X only son was posthumous and died shortly after birth. Philip V had only 4 daughters. Charles IV had 2 sons but they both pre-deceased him (4 of his 6 kids did). It would be a nephew of Philip IV who took the throne was Philip VI and started the house of Valois. Charles IV's daughter Blanche would marry Philip VI's younger son the Duke of Orleans (but they had no kids).

1463- death of Margaret of Anjou, wife of Charles VII. Her mother was Yolanda of Aragon, daughter of John I of Aragon. Yolanda claimed the throne after the death of her uncle Martin I and her elder sister, but the throne was instead offered to Ferdinand of Castile (Yolanda's cousin, a son of John and Martin's younger sister Eleanor). Ferdinand I was the grandfather of Ferdinand II (Ferdinand and Isabella).

Nov 29

1463- death of Margaret of Anjou, wife of Charles VII. Her mother was Yolanda of Aragon, daughter of John I of Aragon. Yolanda claimed the throne after the death of her uncle Martin I and her elder sister, but the throne was instead offered to Ferdinand of Castile (Yolanda's cousin, a son of John and Martin's younger sister Eleanor). Ferdinand I was the grandfather of Ferdinand II (Ferdinand and Isabella).

I think you mean Marie d'Anjou.

The Queen Mother died at the Cistercian Abbey of Notre-Dame des Châtelliers on her way back from a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela aged 59.

Her remains were later taken to St Denis and buried beside her husband Charles VII and lay undisturbed until October 17th,1793 when the joint tomb was smashed and the remains dumped in a pit outside St Denis by Revolutionaries mobs.

The now lost tomb of Charles VII et Marie d'Anjou

Gisants_de_Charles_VII_et_Marie_d%27Anjou.jpg

On this day, December 1, 1081 ~ Birth of King Louis VI of France in Paris, France

On this day, December 1, 1483 ~ Demise of Charlotte of Savoy, Queen Consort of King Louis XI

On this day, December 1, 1483 ~ Demise of Charlotte of Savoy, Queen Consort of King Louis XI

Poor Charlotte did not outlive her husband by long and was not even considered as Regent for her son Charles VIII,her daughter Anne assumed power as Regent and wielded great power.Charlotte retired to Amboise where she died and was buried beside her husband at Notre-Dame de Cléry Basilica.

363px-Charlotte_of_Savoy_queen_of_France.jpg

1 December 1443 :Birth of Madeleine de France,daughter of Charles VII and Marie d'Anjou at Tours.Madeleine later married Gaston de Foix,Prince de Viane (Heir of Navarre) and acted as Regent of Navarre from 1479 until 1494.

345px-Madeleine_of_France%2C_bethroted_of_Ladislaus_the_Posthumous.jpg

Back
Top Bottom