Pavlos and Marie-Chantal current events 5: March 2007-January 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas celebrations like the one in 2006 are the absolute exception! IMO it only happened because Ex-Queen Anne-Marie turned 60 last year and Queen Margrethe offered this kind of Christmas festivities like some present to her sister. (The same happened in Grasten: Usually, except of 2006, only the royal family and the Berleburgs have some holidays there) The last bigger Christmas gathering of this kind was in 2000 when Queen Ingrid had died.

Article in February 2008 Vanity Fair

I haven't seen the article yet, but the Vanity Fair website reports that the February 2008 issue contains an article on Pavlos and MC. Here's the description:

A ROYAL FAMILY AFFAIR
Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece may never get a throne, but they seem to have everything else, plus four towheaded kids. Bob Colacello crashes the couple’s vacation in Porto Heli to learn the secret formula. Photographs by Jonathan Becker.
February 2008: Table of Contents: vanityfair.com

Update: I got my copy of Vanity Fair in the mail tonight and had a chance to read the story. It's pretty interesting, discussing how Pavlos and MC grew up, what they're doing in their respective businesses, how Pavlos feels about being a royal without a throne, and the "near death" experience MC had when Odysseas was born.

I did spot one big factual error, though -- it refers to Queen Frederika as Pavlos' maternal grandmother, rather than his paternal one. He apparently was very close to her and had a dream of her talking to him a few years ago.

all in all,both MC and Pavlos come off well.

Thanks Kalnel, I'll have to pick up a copy.

can anyone post some pics or an excerpt of the article?
thanks a lot in advance :flowers:

I pickled up the new Vanity Fair at Borders yesterday. While the article's pictures were interesting, the rest of the article wasn't very. It's basically a condensed version of their lives/histories. I wonder how accurate it is though because they refered to Queen Frederica as Pavlos' maternal grandmother, but King Juan Carlos and Queen Sophia of Spain as QF's son-in law and daughter. Wouldn't that then make QF Pavlos' paternal grandmother? Great fact-checking!:ermm:

I walked past the window of the "Marie-Chantal" children's wear shop on Spefsippou Street, yesterday. I was amazed by the discordance between quality and prices, a shirt costing around 180 USD. The shop was closed even though all other stores on the street were open.

It´s funny: Pavlos and MC married around the same date when Michael Jackson married Lisa Marie Presley. And I always thought they would fast become divorced but noch Michael and Lisa Marie.....

I wonder how accurate it is though because they refered to Queen Frederica as Pavlos' maternal grandmother, but King Juan Carlos and Queen Sophia of Spain as QF's son-in law and daughter. Wouldn't that then make QF Pavlos' paternal grandmother? Great fact-checking!:ermm:

That's true! Pavlos's maternal grandmother was the late Queen Ingrid
Queen Frederika was in fact his paternal grandmother:angel:

Thanks for the links, Kirstengrafin. Looks like some great photos. I can't believe how big Konstantinos is getting.

Thank you very much! :flowers:
I loved the picture of King Constantine, Queen Anne Marie and their grandchildren :wub: :wub: :wub:

Looks like an intresting article. Also the pictures theyve used, are they new? havent seen some of them before. Love the one of MC looking at camera on the long table and the kids in the pool. Pitty we dont get to see them often.

Did anyone see or read the article about Pavlos and MC, in the latest issue of Vanity Fair? It is very good and it shows them as real human beings, loving parents and MC as a woman who works and is expanding her work in childrens´clothing. Beautiful pictures too of the whole family.

I've always thought that they are one of the best-looking families. They seem very happy, too. I might go out and buy a Vogue just to see the article!

I was also a little confused by the article. They talk like it was love-at-first-sight, but then they also mention an arranged marriage. More messed up facts?

Thanks for the pics. I think the title is right : MC made Pavlos blossom. It is obvious from photographs (just see the series from their engagement). When you read the article with Pavlos' souvenirs, you can understand why he needed someone to help him see a better side of life (the pressure at school with his name crossed on copies etc ; very interesting). Apparently there is some more afterwards about how MC lost so much blood when OK was born that she nearly died... all very new to me I must say.

They are an interesting modern Royal (no Country) family. Actually I have never read anything bad about either of them. Haven't they purchased a lovely home in Greece ??????

The article mentioned they were renting a house. I'm not sure if they want to buy property (I wouldn't after the gov't took it the first time!).

I think that they did fall in love at first sight even though, they met, because common friends wanted them to meet. But they hadn´t seen each other before. As you know, not all of those kinds of "arranged" dates work out well.But theirs, to me seems to have evolved into a happy marriage and four lovely children.
Yes, Queeen Frederika was his Paternal grandmother. She was married to King Paul. But magazines often mix-up things.

I haven't seen the article yet, but the Vanity Fair website reports that the February 2008 issue contains an article on Pavlos and MC. Here's the description:

A ROYAL FAMILY AFFAIR
Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece may never get a throne, but they seem to have everything else, plus four towheaded kids. Bob Colacello crashes the couple’s vacation in Porto Heli to learn the secret formula. Photographs by Jonathan Becker.
February 2008: Table of Contents: vanityfair.com

I just got my copy and was so happy to see the story on Marie-Chantal and Pavlos. I was surprised to learn the M-C had such a difficult delivery with her last child;perhaps that's wht Pavlos lost a lot of weight,from worrying about his wife? The family looks beautiful and happy.
And, the people who insisted that Pavlos and M-C meet were right;the couple seems so well-matched and happy with their lives together.

Last edited:
I was also a little confused by the article. They talk like it was love-at-first-sight, but then they also mention an arranged marriage. More messed up facts?

There was no mention of an arranged marriage. This one Greek thought that Marie and Pavlos would be perfect for each other. He knew both families. He tried to arrange a blind date but both refused until New Orleans when they could not get our of it. They simply were set up on a date. Then it was love at first sight.

As for the dowry there really wasn't one. Robert Miller gave them a huge sum of money (the couple) he didn't give it to HM Constantine. It is not uncommon for parents to give things like this if they can.

I loved all the photos in Vanity Fair, but especially the one with the grandchildren. I think it was taken before Amelia was born, or else she was too small to be there.

There was no mention of an arranged marriage.

Yes there certainly was a reference to it being "arranged." In the first paragraph it says, "And, more than 12 years into what started as an arranged alliance between European nobility and American money..."

The point is, it was an arranged pairing, but, happily, it was also love at first sight. It can be both arranged and love-at-first-sight.

As for the dowry there really wasn't one. Robert Miller gave them a huge sum of money (the couple) he didn't give it to HM Constantine. It is not uncommon for parents to give things like this if they can.

Again, it specifically says it WAS a dowry: "...Robert Miller reportedly provided his daughter with a $200 million dowry -- as he had for Pia and Alexandra."

I think the fact that Alecko Papamarkou asked Constantine for a commission on the dowry for setting the couple up also suggests pretty clearly that it was, indeed, an arranged marriage, it was a dowry, and those close to the family believe that Constantine has control over it.

(Personally, my parents have always been of the "Here's $20, go elope" school of dowry-providing, so what do I know?) ;)

I loved all the photos in Vanity Fair, but especially the one with the grandchildren. I think it was taken before Amelia was born, or else she was too small to be there.

Odysseas is also missing from the picture. He's older than Alexia's son, so it wasn't taken before he was born. (I wonder if the royals have the same problems normal families do with little boys refusing to pose or getting themselves all dirty just before a family picture!)

(Personally, my parents have always been of the "Here's $20, go elope" school of dowry-providing, so what do I know?) ;)

Well you know the Millers are big on public displays of wealth and what better way to show the world how much $$$ you have than by throwing your daughter(s) an insanely extravagant wedding(s). To a Prince, no less. Though I think Pia's wedding was more downscale - didn't she get married on the beach in Bali? I'll be curious to see what sorts of weddings Pia and/or Alexandra have if either of them marry again. Maybe the $20 elopement isn't too far-fetched.

Well you know the Millers are big on public displays of wealth and what better way to show the world how much $$$ you have than by throwing your daughter(s) an insanely extravagant wedding(s). To a Prince, no less. Though I think Pia's wedding was more downscale - didn't she get married on the beach in Bali? I'll be curious to see what sorts of weddings Pia and/or Alexandra have if either of them marry again. Maybe the $20 elopement isn't too far-fetched.

Yeah, poor Pia. Stuck with a generic American bazillionaire and an exotic wedding in Bali, while her sisters get princes. Life's just not fair. :rolleyes:

As for Alexandra's future wedding plans, I guess all we know for certain is that she won't be wearing a Diane von Furtsenburg dress.:bang:

Incidentally, the Vanity Fair article said that Pavlos "parted company" with Alex von Furstenburg over their business venture. Was there a public falling out?

Also, does anyone have a link to the picture of Pavlos in the Greek Army officer's uniform that the article mentions?

Pia and Alex must be jealous of MC because their marriages failed while hers has succeeded (or she just can't get out of it). Anyhoodles, I hadn't heard of a falling out between Pavlos and Alex over business. And as for the mention of a picture of Pavlos in uniform, I've seen one but I'm not sure where. It might be here: Pavlos, Crown Prince of Greece but I'm not sure (the pictures are blocked on this computer).

I would hope that Pia and Alexandra aren't jealous of Marie-Chantal simply because their marriages have failed. I have never been divorced, but I would like to believe that it is better to be divorced than stuck in an unhappy marriage. I like to believe that Marie-Chantal would want what is best for her sisters, and vice-versa. Perhaps some day, Pia and Alexandra will find the right person, royal or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom