Prince and Princess Akishino have a son: Prince Hisahito

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
USRoyalist said:
They seem to be learning from experience. Reproducing is a primary function in an hereditary system. Naruhito married and started trying to breed way too late, which is what caused the crisis. If Akishino and Kiko hadn't waited fourteen years to start shooting (sorry) for a son, a lot of anxiety could have been prevented. I don't want to sound mean and crude, but this is a basic rule royalty world-over has understood for centuries.
Masako is a lovely, brilliant, talented person who has not been treated very well, and we all feel for her travails, but the fact remains she failed at the one function she absolutely had to perform. The IHA is not going to let that happen again.

What makes you so sure they "started trying to breed way too late"? If it's true then it was a bad mistake on their part, but I was under the assumption they had been trying for awhile and that's why they ended doing IVF (if those reports are true). I'm just curious where you're getting your sources from?

Congratulation to Princess Kiko.

Congrats! I can't not wait to see the pictures of the baby! And of course,I'm relieved that all went all right with Princess Kiko pregnancy.:wub:

Vanesa.

Yes, I wanna see the baby prince too!

Two things.

One, I read the other day that a whopping 60% (SIXTY!) percent of the Japanese people would NOT mind having a female on the throne.

Second, and this is a question, does the newborn's father actually do anything for a living? Or does he spend his days behind palace walls, looking as cold as he does in public?

If it wasn't for the fact I have the impression that Kiko, Masako, and the Crown Prince seem utterly likeable people somehow, I'd call this whole thing utterly SINISTER. And plotted. And mind you, I'm not one for conspiracies.

Today the lines are drawn on the sand, one brother is the Heir Apparent and the other one is the Second to the throne and holds the third Heir apparent. Shades of the story of the Dukes of Windsor. We've seen brother/or cousin fight brother/or cousin in other dynasties already, like the Bourbon Two-Sicilies, the Orleans and the Borbons, The Spanish Borbons, the Borbons and the Bonaparte/Napoleons and of course, the Romanovs. Now it's Japan's turn to write the next chapter on family quarrels.

But that will be theme for future threads. Tonight I just hope mother and child are doing fine and her health after giving birth is closely monitored.
Congratulations to them and their family.
[/QUOTE]

this situation is similar to Belgum"late king Boudwin had no children and the throne passed to his brother Albert and in the future to Phillpe"As far as I know this has happened smoothly, who knows, maybe somthing like that would happen in Japan.

Last edited:
princess olga said:
Two things.

One, I read the other day that a whopping 60% (SIXTY!) percent of the Japanese people would NOT mind having a female on the throne.

Second, and this is a question, does the newborn's father actually do anything for a living? Or does he spend his days behind palace walls, looking as cold as he does in public?

If it wasn't for the fact I have the impression that Kiko, Masako, and the Crown Prince seem utterly likeable people somehow, I'd call this whole thing utterly SINISTER. And plotted. And mind you, I'm not one for conspiracies.

Yes, but that was before the young Prince was born, who knows what the Japanese may think now..

But as for the newborn's father, why he does the same thing the Crown Prince does. He does royal engagements/state trips etc as a member of the royal family.. How do you know he's such a bad guy anyways. Something tells me that you don't really know any of those people. Apparently in the Royal family it seems that the Second son is liked better. So how do you know that the Crown Prince is the nice guy and the others are necessarily the bad guys?

Apparently the Second son and his wife put off having other children for many years, and were asked to try to have children again by the emperor himself.

Monarchies are not rewarded to people based on merit, they are rewarded based on blood and tradition..When you think about it the fact that Aiko's father is the heir and well the new little prince's father isn't the heir isn't necessarily "fair" to begin with. They have exactly the same blood. Even though from what I've read the IHA and the current emperor would perfer the second son. But tradition is tradition. No matter how anyone feels about that one, surely people can agree that the best royal isn't necessarily the oldest. One only has to look at Queen Elizabeth II"s father and uncle to see that one clearly. Then, there's the fact that the monarchy isn't open to everyone!

So since the monarch is based on Tradition and blood, if the tradition has alwasy been that the monarchy is based on through the male line. I don't see what the big deal is. Maybe its discriminatory, but the the fact that the possibility of being Emperor someday isn't open to everyone is discriminatory as well!

For 1500 years of Tradition. The Japanese monarchy has been based on the male line. That's been their tradition and it is an unbroken line. Then, there is the factor that the Monarch isn't just the head of state in Japan. The monarch is also the High Priest of the Shinto religion, and he use to be regarded as a god! I hear that some Japanese quitely still view the emperor as a god (the more traditional ones.) So, it means that you have a situation which is certainly tense at best, and certainly something that shouldn't be messed with by Westernors but should only be dealt with by the Japanese people anyways.

My feelings are that it would be one thing to change the rule while there was no young boy who was an heir. But now that there is this young boy. It seems kind of unfair to take away what is now his birth right (out from under him) According to the Consitution, 1500 years of Tradition. This young boy's father is legally entitled to be the Crown Prince's heir, and this young boy his father's heir. It's unfair to the Crown Princess brother and to the little guy for this role to be changed. In my book, nothing really is being "stolen" from Aiko because she never had the right to become Empress in the first place. Besides why would she want that job?

In the end what makes people keep monarchies is the traditional/history aspect. When you just "do a way with Tradition left and right, it may make people say hey why do we need a monarchy after all![/quote
]

Well said ,I totally agree with each word esp. the last paragraph.the monarchy is referred to stability and tradition.

Last edited:
Come on...nobody knows if they really wanted to have more children. They may say this now as an excuse for this last pregnancy. The IHA controls their lifes and whatever they say this comes out in the newspapers and during interviews.

My feelings are that it would be one thing to change the rule while there was no young boy who was an heir. But now that there is this young boy. It seems kind of unfair to take away what is now his birth right (out from under him) According to the Consitution, 1500 years of Tradition. This young boy's father is legally entitled to be the Crown Prince's heir, and this young boy his father's heir. It's unfair to the Crown Princess brother and to the little guy for this role to be changed. In my book, nothing really is being "stolen" from Aiko because she never had the right to become Empress in the first place. Besides why would she want that job?

Yes. I agree with this paragraph. In ancient times, Aiko would have HAD the right to, but only if all male lines are extinct. now that there is this little prince of akishino... its just wrong to rob him of his birthright.

Come on...nobody knows if they really wanted to have more children.

As I stated in my previous posts, they wanted to have more children, but stopped at two out of courtesy for the Crown Prince couple who were having difficulty having children. But now that the Empreror has given them the go-ahead. Why not?

That was before this little prince was born. When Princess Akishino announced her pregnancy, the number of Japanese supporting a female empress dropped, and who knows. after this boy is born, the numbers might drop even further.

Victoria1999 said:
Come on...nobody knows if they really wanted to have more children. They may say this now as an excuse for this last pregnancy. The IHA controls their lifes and whatever they say this comes out in the newspapers and during interviews.

It was made quite public that Princess Kiko and her husband were asked to try for children again, apparently the Emperor himself asked them too. So really it became their "duty" to try and have another child.

My feeling is that if a change is made, a change shouldn't be made retroactively. I think it was wrong for example that Carol Phillip of Sweden was named crown prince and then stripped of his birthright, yes he was a baby (but still).

It is a lot fairer to say that it applies to future generations as in how it is being handled in Norway and perhaps Spain.

Yes. I also think it was awful to strip Carl Philip of his birth right. Now we can't go back, since Victoria is the one, who has been raised to inherit the thrown, and Carl Philip has adjusted himself to not be the heir, but really, it was just plain wrong. They were just thinking about equality between the sexes and didn't think about the tradition of carrying the Bernadotte line further.

As for the current situation in Japan, I have said it before, and I will say it again. I wouldn't have had any problem with Aiko, Mako or Kako becoming an empress one day, if it hadn't been for the birth of this boy. In my opinion, boys and girls are worth just as much, but they're also different. Therefor, I have no problem with female monarchs, that is reigning queens and empresses, but males should still come first in line.

Last edited:
The IHA deserves no congratulations. The Imperial House of Fushimi-no-miya deserves all the credit and messages of congratulation. Mazeltov!

USRoyalist said:
They seem to be learning from experience. Reproducing is a primary function in an hereditary system. Naruhito married and started trying to breed way too late, which is what caused the crisis. If Akishino and Kiko hadn't waited fourteen years to start shooting (sorry) for a son, a lot of anxiety could have been prevented. I don't want to sound mean and crude, but this is a basic rule royalty world-over has understood for centuries.
Masako is a lovely, brilliant, talented person who has not been treated very well, and we all feel for her travails, but the fact remains she failed at the one function she absolutely had to perform. The IHA is not going to let that happen again.

After reading the first few lines of your posts what came to my mind how desperate is the Imperial Household to have male heirs to save the Imperial Family from the genetic bottleneck created by the restrictions with the new constitution.
So why not use modern technology since we have seem the lack of respect they have shown to both Masako and Kiko for not producing males? Just use DNA cloning and get it over with! It's seem the only thing left for them to do. I mean, that baby boy just born now has the demands not just to marry but to have baby boys himself. It's like looking at the future 20 or 25 years from know and guessing who would be the new princess to go through what Kiko and Masako have gone through these past few years.

Last edited:
I fully share your opinion, Asma, and I should have said the same than you if my English were as good as yours!

I don't see anything "sinister" in the fact of Princess Kiko having a boy. She just got pregnant and gave birth to a little baby boy. It seems that some of you blame her for being the mother of a male creature!. I almost laughed aloud when some of you wrote that this was "unjuste" or "not fair" or something. Well the baby is a boy, and must be weel received as all human creatures should be. Sorry if you are dissapointed of him not being a girl. :mad:

I'm not against Sovereign Queens as Catherine the Great, Elizabeth I in England and Isabel the Catholic in Spain, but I'm not a furious feminist that hates men rulers and that things that the world should be better if women were in power. My personal opinion is that men could be as good or bad than women, and that women could be as good or bad than men. Please: walk together in the path of life, and accept that there are Monarchies were they could be Kings and others were Queen should rule. One thing is not better than the other and we need to live in a plural, colorful world. If all people should live in the same way, life should be unbearable and boring.

I'm sure that Princess Aiko will be happy even if she doesn't rule her country. Many Kings and Queens were bad rulers for they were not born for this task. We must know what she really think about this matter when she will become an adult. If she is really interested to rule, she could fight for it. History doesn't ends today. Bad things could turn into good things tomorrow, as some time ago, good things turned into bad ones...If Princess Aiko must become Tenno, she'll do. No doubt of it.

Vanesa.

Japan emperor, empress meet newest little prince
Japan's Emperor Akihito and his wife, Empress Michiko, got the first glimpse on Sunday of their baby grandson, the first male heir born into the imperial family in more than four decades....As the two emerged from the central Tokyo hospital where the prince and his mother are staying, reporters shouted: "Congratulations on the birth of the prince!"
"Thank you," the emperor replied, beaming...
http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=13438773&src=rss/worldNews

Japan's Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko arrive at Aiiku Hospital in Tokyo September 10, 2006 to see Princess Kiko, wife of their second son Prince Akishino, and her newly-born baby boy.

#1: From Reuters
#2-3: Profimedia
#4: www.yuko2ch.net -the Empress brought a pair of baby shoes as a gift for the baby when they arrived for their 1st visit
#5: Yomiuri news

Prince Akishino meets emperor, empress to report on baby's birth
Prince Akishino visited Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on Sunday to report in person on the birth of his son, the imperial family's first baby boy in nearly 41 years, the Imperial Household Agency said.
The prince's two daughters, princesses Mako and Kako, later joined him and the imperial couple for lunch, according to the agency..............
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060910/kyodo/d8k1p33o0.html

#1: Yomiuri news

Japan's Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko respond to reporters as they leave Aiiku Hospital in Tokyo September 10, 2006.
#1-3: From Reuters
#4-5: Profimedia
#6: Yomiuri news

Last edited:
Does anybody know if prince Naruhito and princess Masako went to visit their nephew?

Ariel said:
Does anybody know if prince Naruhito and princess Masako went to visit their nephew?
They haven't visited yet...but I think they will after the Emperor and Empress visited the newborn baby.
2 more photos from Yomiuri news

Last edited:
mandyy said:
They haven't visited yet...but I think they will after the Emperor and Empress visited the newborn baby.

Is this part of the protocol? Wait first until the Emperor and Empress visit, then it's their turn? I'm eager to hear about or see pictures of other family members visiting.....

Aww those grandparents are just beaming. As for IVF Or not, wasn't Aiko by reports IVF? So whats the difference?

No difference at all, as I see it. But many people here wanted Aiko to become empress one day, and if this child would have been a girl, that would have happened sooner or later. But now, this child is a boy, and he's the heir, and they're very disappointed, that the change in the succession didn't happen.

Furienna said:
No difference at all, as I see it. But many people here wanted Aiko to become empress one day, and if this child would have been a girl, that would have happened sooner or later. But now, this child is a boy, and he's the heir, and they're very disappointed, that the change in the succession didn't happen.

what I mean especially is because if Aiko hadn't been born by IVF, well than Princess Mako would be the one they'd eventually have to give the throne to (if no males were born.) But I don't see anyone here on this board talking about how unfair it is to Princess Mako...

bekalc said:
what I mean especially is because if Aiko hadn't been born by IVF, well than Princess Mako would be the one they'd eventually have to give the throne to (if no males were born.) But I don't see anyone here on this board talking about how unfair it is to Princess Mako...
Okay, now I get it. Well, no one has really questioned the rule, that the first born will inherit the thrown. And Naruhito was older than Akishino. Likewise, the first born's firstborn is also the heir, even if there are cousins born before him. Therefor, Crown prince Frederik's son will once become the king of Denmark, even though Frederik's younger brother Joachim had children before him. No one thought Mako and Kako had more right to the thrown than Aiko, because Aiko was the crown prince's daughter, and Mako and Kako weren't.

Congratulations to the family. No matter what I hope the baby is blessed with a healthy life.

While the feminist part of me wants Aiko to ascend the throne, I, with the help of a friend who spent a year abroad, living and studying in Japan, have come to accept why the birth of this baby boy is so important. It may not be what we want, as others have posted, but I would bet that no one is celebrating more than that imperial family. Future duties aside, I hope the baby prince is happy, above all. And I do hope that provisions/plans are being made for Aiko's future, in terms of her college education, etc. I think Aiko will be able to do much more as a commoner.

Will Sayako and her husband need a formal invitation to visit the new baby? Can they visit at the hospital?

Who's Sayako? Do you mean Masako, perhaps?

Dutch premier congratulates Japan on birth of royal baby
...The Dutch premier offered his congratulations in a chat with Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi on the sidelines of a two-day Asia-Europe Meeting summit in the Finnish capital, the officials said....Balkenende and Koizumi also talked about the visit by Japanese Crown Prince Naruhito and his family to the Netherlands in August....
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060910/kyodo/d8k22u3g1.html

Back
Top Bottom