Prince and Princess Akishino have a son: Prince Hisahito

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Laviollette said:
I understand that this is a heated discussion and that's what this forum is about but I'm expressing my opinion too and I just don't get the poor, poor CP couple saga. Shouldn't they be happy? The pressure is off Masako to bear a male heir. Naruhito will still be emperor. Obviously a lot of people want a change in succession to allow females to succeed but that's not going to happen right now.

I happen to feel just as passionately about the Catholic issue in Britain and the male primogeniture issue in Monaco but at some point you accept that things might not change as quickly as you want them to.

I think that the heated issue here is that many people (myself included) do not believe that the pressure is off of Masako. Possibly it is increased more than ever. Just because the male succession is now guaranteed does not necessarily mean that she will be able to kick back and relax. Her position in the royal household could very well slip down to unbearable levels of disdain and scorn in not "doing her part" to provide her husband a suitable successor. Yes Naruhito will still be emperor, but may be seen as a lame duck with no heir of his own. Just like you have to accept thats things might not change as quickly as you like, you have to accept that the Japanese culture (at least as far as the IHA are concerned) is most likely going to praise the Akishino's and scorn the Naruhito's and not in a casual passive way. We all have opinions, that's what makes the boards so interesting.

I wonder : if Masako has had so many problems adapting to the life in the Royal Family, isn't she happy that, Aiko, her beloved daughter, escape it ?

congrats...althought this was the predicted result
still happy for the family but don't know how the crown prince family will feel
maybe this releases a bit of the pressure Masako is feeling

I think the IHA got what it thought it wanted. But...no matter how xenophobic the IHA is, progress is happening all around them whether they want it or not.

Who knows how things will turn out in the long run. Based on historical genetics, if this baby inherits, he will be at least in his late 30's. Look how much the world has changed just in the past 10 years. It boggles the mind to think what could be the political 'norm' in the 2030's or 2040's.:alien:

Maureen

StoneCold said:
I have seen two different weights for the baby in print. One is 7 1/2 pounds and the other is 5 pounds 10 ounces. I guess one of them is right.:)

Princess Kiko gives birth to heir to imperial throne
...............Princess Kiko, the wife of Prince Akishino, Emperor Akihito's second son, gave birth to a baby boy on Wednesday morning, bringing the first heir to the Chrysanthemum Throne in nearly 41 years.
The boy was born by Caesarean section at Aiiku Hospital in Tokyo's Minato Ward at 8:27 a.m., the Imperial Household Agency said, adding the boy weighs 2,558 grams.
The princess and her son are both doing fine, government sources said. The boy stands third in line to the throne after Crown Prince Naruhito, 46, and Prince Akishino, 40. His birth is likely to stall the debate on whether to revise the Imperial House Law to allow female monarchs and their descendants to ascend the throne......................
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060906/kyodo/d8jv12u81.html

Gov't to spend 3.05 mil. yen per year on Prince Akishino's newborn
.................The Japanese government will spend 3.05 million yen per year in connection with Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko's newborn baby boy, Imperial Household Agency officials said Wednesday.

Based on the law on imperial household economy, Prince Akishino receives 30.5 million yen, Prince Kiko 15.25 million yen and their two daughters 3.05 million yen each in cash for their personal use to maintain royal dignity, they said.
With the additional funds for the newborn baby, the government's expenses for the prince's family will rise to 54.9 million yen a year, they said. The tax-exempt money is for covering the family's meals, clothing and servants it employs on its own, and the sum for a child becomes three-fold when they grow up, according to the officials....................
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060906/kyodo/d8jv1cao1.html

Newborn royal baby to undergo series of imperial rituals
The newborn baby boy of Prince Akishino, Emperor Akihito's second son, and Princess Kiko is to undergo a series of imperial rituals after his birth on Wednesday, including a naming ceremony.

Shortly after the birth of the first male to the Japanese imperial family in 41 years, a messenger of the emperor will deliver a protective sword to the baby and place it by its pillow.
The baby will be named directly by his father during a naming ceremony, traditionally held on the seventh day following his birth, and a symbol used to mark his belongings will be decided by his mother. As customary, a boy will have the Chinese character "hito," meaning a virtuous person, at the end of his name. A girl usually will have "ko," meaning child at the end of her name................
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060906/kyodo/d8jv1nfg0.html

Photo albums of the family and royal births from yahoo.jp
http://dailynews.yahoo.co.jp/photograph/feature/princess_kiko/
http://dailynews.yahoo.co.jp/photograph/feature/princess_kiko/sub1/index.html

Last edited:
I'm happy for Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko. They finally got the boy they wanted. The pressure is off, they finally have an heir. I do, however, agree with everyone who thinks that they should alllow women to ascend the throne. I understand that it is traditional for only male heirs to ascend, but a woman could do the job just as good as man. Long live women!!

The baby is only a couple of hours old and the moves to show his parents more prominently has already begun as evidenced by the last line of the article on the royal family expenditures:

"The couple's activities are expected to increase in the future, the officials said."

#1: Japanese media crowd as they report on the birth of Japanese Princess Kiko's baby in front of the Imperial Household Agency in Tokyo on Wednesday September 6, 2006.
#2: Journalists pack in front of a Tokyo's hospital, background, where Princess Kiko has been hospitalized early Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2006 before the princess gives birth.
#3:Journalists pack in front of a Tokyo's hospital where Princess Kiko has been hospitalized early Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2006 before the princess gives birth.

source: AP

Laviollette said:
I have seen two different weights for the baby in print. One is 7 1/2 pounds and the other is 5 pounds 10 ounces. I guess one of them is right.:)
The baby weights 2558 grams so therefore it weights 5 pounds 6 ouncs.

kimebear said:
The baby is only a couple of hours old and the moves to show his parents more prominently has already begun as evidenced by the last line of the article on the royal family expenditures:

"The couple's activities are expected to increase in the future, the officials said."

I noticed that, too. :ermm: I just want to be happy for now and celebrate with Japan. :flowers:

So no special bath or personal appellation for the new prince. Long live ___ hito!

Last edited:
kimebear said:

And so it begins.

Yes, I am happy that Kiko delivered a healthy baby...but the IHA moves have already begun.

I am also a supporter of change and equality, but like everyone else must accept what is the status quo. The one thing I haven't seen addressed and find most deserving of attention is the sexism not in the succession laws but that which is directed to the royal women. If the IHA, Imperial Family, et.al, have treated Masako with scorn and praise Kiko for what she has done, they show not only sexism but ignorance as well. Japanese technology in all areas, including biogenetics is at least as advanced as the rest of the developed world. So they must know that it is the male partner that determines the gender of offspring with the "XX" or "XY" chromosomes. Therefore, scorn or praise, if either should be given, should be directed at Naruhito and Akishino. I also have felt that this has all been too convenient (read staged/orchestrated) and Akishino should not receive praise just because he "provided" a sample that was separated in some lab somewhere in Japan.

All that being said, I also think it would be poetic justice if Naruhito and Masako returned from their "vacation" with a #3 of their own to introduce to the world in 2007.

Mapper

Yay, its a boy! Finally, the succession is secured. Aiko would be better off as a commoner. Leading a better life marrying OUT of the imperial family :D

Congratulations on the great news of the safe arrival of a healthy baby!! ^_^

a little disappointed

Although I am happy that it was a healthy baby boy, for some reasons I am a little sad that it wasn't a girl. Japan royals has been know for being ultra conservative and suppressive and I believe that a few Asia countries still hold the belief that women are second class citizens.
It makes me feel grateful that I am an American woman and here in the States women are treated a lot better. Switzerland had changed their rules so that a woman can become queen and rule. Japan is so far advanced in technology but so far behind in equal rights
I still don't know why an educated woman like princess Masako who had so much going for her life decided to be in an environment where she is obviously not happy and under so much distress???

Congratulations to Prince Akishino, Princess Kiko and the rest of the Royal Family on the birth of the baby boy. And, I guess, congratulations also to the IHA for finally getting what they wanted.

As for the Crown Prince and his family... I'm sure that they've been prepared for this event as the birth of a nephew was somehow predicatable. Especially at the familial level, I am pretty sure that they are happy.

After all these, I just hope that pressures on Princess Masako will already ease and may she recover completely from stress. Also, I hope that the IHA and the public will be kind to her especially as I think of the concepts of "honor" vis-a-vis "shame" in the context of the Japanese value system.

Anyway, going back to the birth... regardless of its context, it's always a good cause for celebration! My warmest congratulations to Japan and its people!

lunormandie22 said:
Although I am happy that it was a healthy baby boy, for some reasons I am a little sad that it wasn't a girl. Japan royals has been know for being ultra conservative and suppressive and I believe that a few Asia countries still hold the belief that women are second class citizens.
It makes me feel grateful that I am an American woman and here in the States women are treated a lot better. Switzerland had changed their rules so that a woman can become queen and rule. Japan is so far advanced in technology but so far behind in equal rights
I still don't know why an educated woman like princess Masako who had so much going for her life decided to be in an environment where she is obviously not happy and under so much distress???

Switzerland? Don't you mean Sweden?

Well, the IHA got what they wanted...

foiegrass said:
Yay, its a boy! Finally, the succession is secured. Aiko would be better off as a commoner. Leading a better life marrying OUT of the imperial family :D

amen.

how old is masako? is it still possible for her to conceive a child?

kimebear, zonk, elspeth, lunormandie22 and others -- I share many of the sentiments you expressed. I am relieved the baby is here and mom and babe are healthy. But as our enlightening discussion progressed over the months and I learned about the IHA, the Imperial Family and their restricted lifestyle, the Japanese culture I wished a girl would be born to force the issue of an Empress reigning and jilt the Japanese culture out of clinging to an outdated past. At the same time, is it really the best thing for Aiko? She is certain to be a very smart woman given the parents she has and why should she have to live in such a restricted environment with very little real power? Even if the government were to change succession laws, it would have to change the structure of the IHA (IMO) to effect any real change in Aiko's life.

For me this is a day of mixed feelings. I hope Masako takes some sense of satisfaction in this turn of events, even though I believe she, like the others, has known all along it would be a boy. And to all those who have participated in the great discussions over the past nine months -- thanks. I have learned alot and it has been most interesting.

mayu12 said:
amen.

how old is masako? is it still possible for her to conceive a child?

She was married 8 years before she had her current child and she had a miscarriage before that.

She might not be physically able to, or else they would have had more children by now.

Wow! That's great news! :)

It just occured to me that this boy could be emperor well
after the year 2100.(he will "only" be 94 by then... and I
would not be surprised that the average lifespan will be
125 by then)

So let me get this straight: they baby is thrid in line,
after his father and his uncle(the CP), is this correct?
This means he won't become the emperor for another
50 or 60 years....

Masako is 42 and will be 43 in December. There is some concern that the psychiatric meds she is on might make it inadvisable to be pregnant.

Zonk1189 said:
And so it begins.

Yes, I am happy that Kiko delivered a healthy baby...but the IHA moves have already begun.
Agreed.

I'm glad that she and the baby are well, but I, too, am a little saddened the baby was not a girl. Congrats to the family and to Japan.

Sister Morphine said:
She was married 8 years before she had her current child and she had a miscarriage before that.

She might not be physically able to, or else they would have had more children by now.

Masako is 42 and in addition to her pregnancy that produced Aiko..she had a miscarriage. Who knows...stranger things have happened..she might get pregnant but I am sure it will depend on her psyche.

And yes, perhaps this is a blessing for little Aiko. She can marry, leave the imperial family and have a normal life. From all reports, her aunt seems to be happy...although having some minor adjustment issues.

A baby son for Princess Kiko

At 8:27am,local time, Princess Kiko gave birth to a son.

Back
Top Bottom