Prince Joseph Wenzel, Princess Marie-Caroline, Prince Georg and Prince Nikolaus

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I see. What's your opinion on the relationship? See a wedding?

If they had such a long relationship, there is a strong feeling between them.
But I don't really sure about the marriage. Liechtenstein princely family are not like other european royalty, who are just representative figures. They actually have much more power and run billions dollars business.
So he needs on his side a woman who is used to that lifestyle, extremely educated and possibly fluent in several languages.
It would be really complicated for a commoner in a long term.
Considering all the aristocrats he is surrounded, I don't understand why he is dating that girl, to be honest. She just doesn't fit at all.
But again if they love each other so much I wish them well

I think Alois and Sophie aspire for their children to marry people from the same social background as them.
Now if they love each other they can fight to be together. It's just waiting to see what this relationship will lead to.

But I don't really sure about the marriage. Liechtenstein princely family are not like other european royalty, who are just representative figures. They actually have much more power and run billions dollars business.
So he needs on his side a woman who is used to that lifestyle, extremely educated and possibly fluent in several languages.
Considering all the aristocrats he is surrounded, I don't understand why he is dating that girl, to be honest. She just doesn't fit at all.
Well the heart wants what it wants. Secondly, wasn’t it said on here that his brother is more into the aristocrat set than he is? So possibly he doesn’t even like that set lol. You’re right it would be complicated for a commoner to marry into an European monarchy that has that much power. But I like to believe he should marry who ever he wants.

His parents are traditionalist and I believe it is an expectation that he will marry someone of royal or noble birth.

I don't see a future for these two

Idk anything is possible.

The Liechtenstein press, including the 2 main newspapers, do not report on the private lives of the princely family. There are no tabloid reporters to follow Wenzel around - so a romance, a girlfriend, will not be reported until there is an official announcement. The focus is on the Prince and Princess and the Hereditary Prince and Princess. Wenzel's brothers will find careers, perhaps in family businesses, but are unlikely to remain in Liechtenstein. Few members of the princely family, especially collateral lines, do not live
in Liechtenstein. Prince Nikolaus, the younger brother of Hans Adam, does have a home outside Vaduz. Prince Max lives in the Munich with his wife, Alfons has been attending university in the UK, I believe. Max is the CEO of the LGT group, the family's private bank and investment group. He and his family have no official roles with Liechtenstein, ditto his brother and sister. Women do not have succession rights. The local papers had small articles on Max's marriage, the religious wedding, which took place in NYC. Alois' siblings rarely attend the annual National day. A younger son marrying a Panamanian woman did not receive massive coverage, as compared to the Duke of Sussex's marriage. Should Wenzel marry Miss Gazzola, there will be a little attention, but nothing like Grace Kelly marrying Rainier.

The Liechtenstein press, including the 2 main newspapers, do not report on the private lives of the princely family. There are no tabloid reporters to follow Wenzel around - so a romance, a girlfriend, will not be reported until there is an official announcement. The focus is on the Prince and Princess and the Hereditary Prince and Princess. Wenzel's brothers will find careers, perhaps in family businesses, but are unlikely to remain in Liechtenstein. Few members of the princely family, especially collateral lines, do not live
in Liechtenstein. Prince Nikolaus, the younger brother of Hans Adam, does have a home outside Vaduz. Prince Max lives in the Munich with his wife, Alfons has been attending university in the UK, I believe. Max is the CEO of the LGT group, the family's private bank and investment group. He and his family have no official roles with Liechtenstein, ditto his brother and sister. Women do not have succession rights. The local papers had small articles on Max's marriage, the religious wedding, which took place in NYC. Alois' siblings rarely attend the annual National day. A younger son marrying a Panamanian woman did not receive massive coverage, as compared to the Duke of Sussex's marriage. Should Wenzel marry Miss Gazzola, there will be a little attention, but nothing like Grace Kelly marrying Rainier.

Prince Alfons of Liechtenstein is a freshman at Georgetown University! Due to current Covid restrictions he lives still at home with his parents though.
He went to Wellington College before.

Wow I just want to say that it’s amazing how a lot of the family have no official roles except the Prince and Princess and the hereditary Prince and Princess. So when Wenzel marries it will be him and his wife doing official duties? No help from siblings?

Liechtenstein is a small country, doesn't need a large royal family working. And in any case its increasingly usual for royal famlies to only have a few people "working".

Well the heart wants what it wants. Secondly, wasn’t it said on here that his brother is more into the aristocrat set than he is? So possibly he doesn’t even like that set lol. You’re right it would be complicated for a commoner to marry into an European monarchy that has that much power. But I like to believe he should marry who ever he wants.

Sorry but I thought you said that you hoped he'd pick someone better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I just want to say that it’s amazing how a lot of the family have no official roles except the Prince and Princess and the hereditary Prince and Princess. So when Wenzel marries it will be him and his wife doing official duties? No help from siblings?

It's a tiny country with 40.000 inhabitants, they really don't need many working royals ;)

I don't actually know that much about the Liechtenstein Princely Family, but I have been to Liechtenstein. And if they do plan to marry, I hope the American girl knows what she is getting into, because it's a tiny country with no major cities. The landscape is beyond stunning, but it's probably a pretty rural life there. Sure, Zurich is not that far, but Zurich is not like New York City either! This might be a huge culture shock...

While a very rich tiny country, it's not exactly as glitzy as Monaco either.

They have not "much more power". Liechtenstein is a countryside area of only 24 km long with 39.000 "residents" (2/3 rd of them are foreigners, effectively living outside the principality but have a formal residence in there, most of them for tax evading purposes). The "power" stretches no furtherer than in their Alpine backyard.

Yes, the princely family (with a LOT of members) is wealthy, but there are so many wealthy folks in the world. For centuries the princes actually had their residences in other countries, the fabulous Palais Liechtenstein in Vienna is an example. This because there between the Alp mountains Liechtenstein had little to offer than rural life. It is only after the collapse of the Austrian-Hungarian monarchy that the princes started to have a real presence in Liechtenstein because their glorious days in Vienna were over.

Last edited:
It's a tiny country with 40.000 inhabitants, they really don't need many working royals ;)

I don't actually know that much about the Liechtenstein Princely Family, but I have been to Liechtenstein. And if they do plan to marry, I hope the American girl knows what she is getting into, because it's a tiny country with no major cities. The landscape is beyond stunning, but it's probably a pretty rural life there. Sure, Zurich is not that far, but Zurich is not like New York City either! This might be a huge culture shock...

While a very rich tiny country, it's not exactly as glitzy as Monaco either.
True its a small country. Only need the heirs lol

Liechtenstein is for people who enjoy peace and tranquility. Also we don't know what his parents think if he does break the tradition of marrying a commoner. Times are changing and so are the people in it.

They have not "much more power". Liechtenstein is a countryside area of only 24 km long with 39.000 "residents" (2/3 rd of them are foreigners, effectively living outside the principality but have a formal residence in there, most of them for tax evading purposes). The "power" stretches no furtherer than in their Alpine backyard.

Yes, the princely family (with a LOT of members) is wealthy, but there are so many wealthy folks in the world. For centuries the princes actually had their residences in other countries, the fabulous Palais Liechtenstein in Vienna is an example. This because there between the Alp mountains Liechtenstein had little to offer than rural life. It is only after the collapse of the Austrian-Hungarian monarchy that the princes started to have a real presence in Liechtenstein because their glorious days in Vienna were over.

They have LOTS of power. Certainly more than the Kings and Queens in other countries thats a constitutional monarchy... Another thing the people don't fund their lifestyles.

Would they be the royal/princely house with the highest number of princes and princesses per capita? In Europe, they'll most likely win - but maybe someone can think of another example outside of Europe.

N.B. Checked for Monaco: size of population is comparable but only 6 with prince(ss) title.

.....I think a commoner could achieve the last two criterias you mention too? And yes Liechtenstein princely family is different, it has actual power and business, but it's more on the role of the head of state/regent but not his consort. And lifestyle, there are a couple of examples which consorts with commoner background perfectly adapted and fitted into the royal life.

You make it sound like he is hiring an employee but not finding a partner for life.:whistling:

Last edited:

You make it sound like he is hiring an employee but not finding a partner for life.:whistling:

I am not sure where you see that (in most cases an employer and an employee will not love each other very much), but I suppose it's true that any future wife of Prince Joseph Wenzel will be expected to be an "employee" of the monarchy as a working royal.

They have LOTS of power. Certainly more than the Kings and Queens in other countries thats a constitutional monarchy... Another thing the people don't fund their lifestyles.

What do you mean with "LOTS of power" ?

And it is a popular and total misconception that Liechtenstein and Monaco are not funded by taxpayers. The Maison Princier in Monaco has an annual State-funded Budget of 30 million Euro (in normal years, before COVID). The Prince of Liechtenstein himself receives no salary but all his expenses, the operation of staff, his utilities are all met via the State Budget. With only 39.000 offical inhabitants (not the same as tax-paying nationals!) both countries actually have quite costly monarchies per capita.

So people DO actually fund their lifestyles.

Last edited:
Kitty1224 is referring to their political power within their own (tiny) countries, not abroad.

Kitty1224 is referring to their political power within their own (tiny) countries, not abroad.

Liechtenstein is a constitutional and not an absolutist monarchy. But when even the capital is just a village with less than 6.000 inhabitants, it is all very relative. Liechtenstein is to-tal-ly dependent on Austria and Switzerland for everything. From the water to the public transport, from the energy grid to academic education, e-ve-ry-thing comes from outside. But okay, the Prince has "power" to say that the old apple-tree near the lake must be chopped.

The Prince has to operate carefully. In 2003 the Prince was dismayed by initiatives to make arch-conservative Liechtenstein more modern, open, transparant and inclusive, also the monarchy. He threatened to leave the country if the people voted for "modernization".

The result: no less than 9.412 inhabitants voted against and no less than 5.221 voted for the initiative. These numbers show how extremely small the country is (less than 16.000 registered voters).

Under pressure the Liechtensteiners voted against the modernization but Hans-Adam became so unpopular that a year later, he made a step back in favour of his son Aloïs, who is Prince Regent for almost 17 years now.

I think Wenzel will marry whoever he wants. I hope that Wenzel's future bride will be a good princess for Liechtenstein and will measure up and fit for the place she will occupy.

I think Wenzel will marry whoever he wants. I hope that Wenzel's future bride will be a good princess for Liechtenstein and will measure up and fit for the place she will occupy.

Yes he probably will marry whom he wants and hopefully his wife will fit in OK with the country and the RF. AFAIK, there isn't that much of a role for the consort but such as it is, I am sure that all the RF hope he will marry someone who does the job as well as is personally compatible with him...

Totally 100% agree :flowers:

Yep it will be great for a Princess we can look up to who does her role well and creates her own path and champions many charities and is humanitarian. :flowers:

Totally 100% agree :flowers:

Yep it will be great for a Princess we can look up to who does her role well and creates her own path and champions many charities and is humanitarian. :flowers:

I dont thiank that the Liechtenstein consort has a very big role... and the family is pretty conservative.....

I dont thiank that the Liechtenstein consort has a very big role... and the family is pretty conservative.....

What does being a humanitarian have to do with being conservative? Secondly hereditary princess has a huge role on behalf of Liechtenstein with various patronage’s.

What does being a humanitarian have to do with being conservative? Secondly hereditary princess has a huge role on behalf of Liechtenstein with various patronage’s.
If you see the post from Duc et Pair (who knows more about the country than I do), it seems clear that the country being so small is dependent on other countries for a lot of things.. and the RF is pretty conservative and they dont expect a "huge role" from the consort of the Prince.

If you see the post from Duc et Pair (who knows more about the country than I do), it seems clear that the country being so small is dependent on other countries for a lot of things.. and the RF is pretty conservative and they dont expect a "huge role" from the consort of the Prince.

I have to disagree with what Duc et Pair has to say. They are wealthy and powerful for a reason despite being such a small country(as if size matters...) Also, you never know maybe Wendell has a few ideas to bring into the principality . He’s from a different generation from his father and grandfather. Wouldn’t be shocked if the future princess carves out a role for herself. It’s just my opinion though.

I have to disagree with what Duc et Pair has to say. They are wealthy and powerful for a reason despite being such a small country(as if size matters...) Also, you never know maybe Wendell has a few ideas to bring into the principality . He’s from a different generation from his father and grandfather. Wouldn’t be shocked if the future princess carves out a role for herself. It’s just my opinion though.

They are very wealthy because they are a tax haven. And size matters. The country is tiny and depends on other countries for its various systems. They are lucky that they have managed to make the place so wealthy but it is still small, and limited in its influence. I cna't imagine there is a lot of charity work to do in such a tiny and sheltered place...

The current princess of Liechtenstein is the patron of the Red Cross, she founded and runs an association in support women and their children in need, she is involved with family art collection and accompanies her husband to many official events abroad.
It's a role that doesn't change that much from what other royal consort in Europe.

I cna't imagine there is a lot of charity work to do in such a tiny and sheltered place...

Well, if you think Liechtenstein is tiny, then try Monaco! And the Prince there is truly a workhorse!

To Liechtenstein: It's status is a shelter with foundations which protect from over-reaching taxmen, is very important in the framework of European Economies!

Especially since the Brexit which did put the Channel Islands, the Isle of Wright, the Isle of Man, the Cayman Islands, you name it, out of the means of practical use.

The consort of the Prince of Liechtenstein has a role to play. She may be less visible than other monarchs' consorts of monarchs, but she still performs some functions.
Princess Marie (wife of Prince Hans-Adam II) is the president of the Liechtenstein Red Cross and Therapeutic-Pedagogical Aid Society. In addition, she is involved in the cultural and artistic development of the principality.
Princess Sophie participates in various events and created the Sophie Liechtenstein Foundation for Women and Children (Sophie von Liechtenstein Stiftung für Frau und Kind, in German).

Back
Top Bottom