Princess Marie, Current Events Part 2: June 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: when it comes to foreign recipients it is true for many. For French citizens there is a lot of criteria to be met.

The foreign honors are like many national orders. Think of all the foreign honors royals have. They don't do anything to earn them save attending a state visit. When was the last time a royal actually did something to actually earn one of those orders other than a visit.

It seems to me that the French Legion d'Honneur is awarded for just being married to a right person or into a right family.

Here are the Légion d'Honneur criteria :

Award criteria | La grande chancellerie

The last paragraph about foreign honorees (because Princess Marie acquired Danish citizenship upon marriage) :

Foreigners may be decorated with the Legion of Honor if they have rendered services (e.g. cultural or economic) to France or supported causes defended by France, such as human rights, freedom of the press, or humanitarian action.

The french posters (120) from Noblesse et Royautés are upset because the Princess is Grand Officier for doing nothing than to be the wife of a Danish Prince.

A great lot of people who did a lot for France , who lost their lifes for saving people are only Chevalier !

Last edited:
It is not only in Noblesses end Royautes but also on other royal sites that a lot of french posters are upset because Marie is Grand Offiicer , nobody recalls that she did something for France with a foundation or other things.

Some posters on an another royal site said that Princess Stephanie of Monaco is doing a lot for the persons who are ill with the VIH in france and also with the houses of life in Carpantras and she never received an awards from France.

I found a bit riche, indeed, that princess Marie could receive this order, in the Grand officier grade with that.
Frankly it's ridiculous (this grade is generaly awarded to foreign head of states, during state visits only).
As you have to ask for it, i suspect the uber gallic Henrik is behind the maneuver.

Last edited:
Princess Marie was bestowed the French Legion d'Honneur on Friday.

Kirsten Biering‏ @DKAmb_France 10h10 hours ago
At French Amb Residence in Copenhagen French born Princess Marie receives Legion d'Honneur this afternoon. We are so proud to call her ours.
https://twitter.com/DKAmb_France/status/850395702115139584

congratulations to marie! the legion d'honneur is such a great honor. her work on denmark-france ties and on humanitarian issues definitely makes her a good awardee for it!

congratulations to marie! the legion d'honneur is such a great honor. her work on denmark-france ties and on humanitarian issues definitely makes her a good awardee for it!

No, just no.

She could have been awarded the grade of knight, or maybe, officer, for her quite obscure work for the "Denmark-France" ties (she's a total unknown figure in France anyway).
Grand Officier is the same grade as France's main ministers and many foreign heads of states. For the second wife of the second son of the Queen of Denmark it's, you guessed it, just totally vain and ridiculous.

I agree with you Nico.
The countess of Evreux who promoted Dior in Spain for 20 years was made Chevalier when she ended her work for them.

if Henrik was the promotor , he should have said that wearing a Bourbon brooch to gether with the Napoleonistic Decoration of the Legion d' Honneur was not a good Choice.

How do you even get such an order?

I assume you can't just order one on Amazon, so someone in authority in France must have decided she deserved it. Who?

It seems plausible to me that Marie's rank as princess is the reason why she is getting a grade higher up than is really merited.

While our Marie may not be that well-known in France she is a living goodwill ambassador for France and French culture in Denmark - hopefully for life.

I don't think she can be directly compared to PH. He is after all a prince consort, but he has also served his country in the army in wartime and in the diplomatic corps.

Last news. Marie is Officier and not Grand Officier.
She is just between Chevalier and Commandeur.

If She was really Grand Officier (avec plaque) it should have be granted by the President of France and not by his Ambassador in Denmark.

It is not only in Noblesses end Royautes but also on other royal sites that a lot of french posters are upset because Marie is Grand Offiicer , nobody recalls that she did something for France with a foundation or other things.

Some posters on an another royal site said that Princess Stephanie of Monaco is doing a lot for the persons who are ill with the VIH in france and also with the houses of life in Carpantras and she never received an awards from France.

One has to nominate a someone for a honour. Apparently no one nominated Princess Stéphanie de Monaco for a Légion d'Honneur. By the way, Stéphanie never was a French citizen. Marie was French. For a Légion it is already enough to be a great ambassador for France, for the French, the language, the arts, the culture, the humanity, the values, etc. Apparently the ones whom nominated Marie found her an asset for France and the French. And France agreed, so to see.

:previous: when it comes to foreign recipients it is true for many. For French citizens there is a lot of criteria to be met.

The foreign honors are like many national orders. Think of all the foreign honors royals have. They don't do anything to earn them save attending a state visit. When was the last time a royal actually did something to actually earn one of those orders other than a visit.

King Juan Carlos for leading isolated Spain from a fascist dictatorship to the modern world, to a democracy which is a member of NATO and EU.

King Hussein of Jordan for his endless efforts to bring peace in the Middle East.

Queen Margrethe II for her true dedication and promotion of Danish art, Danish culture, etc.

Etc. I think most royals, when not royal but doing their activities, already would have received honours for their commitment to good causes, for their involvement of charity, for the promotion of the common good, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last news. Marie is Officier and not Grand Officier.
She is just between Chevalier and Commandeur.

If She was really Grand Officier (avec plaque) it should have be granted by the President of France and not by his Ambassador in Denmark.

Now that's different , and less surprising.
But i didn't know we have such an asset for the French values in Denmark. Who Knew ? :whistling:

Duc and Pair , you don't know who receices the honor to be be granted with the légion d'honneur. foreign head of states receive the legion d'honneur, Prince Albert has the Légion d'honneur, king philip of Belgium, Poutine have this decoration , the persons who receive the grade of Legion deserves France also in humanitary and Princess Stephanie deserves it with her work with the persons who have the VIH, Marie is unknow from France, I don't recall to see her attending very often to french danish meetings in Paris or in Copenhagen , her father in Law , yes, the people of France don't find her as asset for france and the french, it is why there are so many french people who are not happy to see that a danish pricess receives the higher grade of the Legion d'honneur and than soldiers who lost their lifes in Afghanistan had not this honor.
The legion d'honneur was for the military , it was created by Napoleon, now, people, singers have the legion d'honneur and french people think that this decoration has no more value

Duc and Pair, to receive the legion d'honneur , the person must do something for France
King Juan Carlos, King Hussein or queen Margreth did or do good thing for their country and for the peace, but what do they do for France to be decored with the Legion d'honneur apart to be head of states. but I understand that they are receiving the Legion d'honneur because they are the sovereigns but I will not understand why the wife of the second prince would receive this honor. if she is not deserving it

Last edited by a moderator:
For heads of state and their consorts it is just reciprocity. The President of France and his spouse are given the highest honour of a country. And in return the President gives the highest honour of France to the other head of state. Purely because the President is the most supreme in the State of France, and via his office, his person, France is honoured. So when M Hollande gives the Légion d'Honneur to Philippe de Belgique, he honours the embodiment of the State of Belgium: it's King.

Marie is no head of state. So in her case merits are needed. Apparently the nomination of Marie was convincing enough to award her a medal. I agree with you that Princess Stéphanie deserves a honour for her good work against hiv/aids and other charities, but someone has go nominate her. And preferrably her activities need to have a link with France. Maybe you can, as a citoyenne de France, you can request your Government to consider a honour to Princess Stéphanie.

:)

King Juan Carlos for leading isolated Spain from a fascist dictatorship to the modern world, to a democracy which is a member of NATO and EU.

King Hussein of Jordan for his endless efforts to bring peace in the Middle East.

Queen Margrethe II for her true dedication and promotion of Danish art, Danish culture, etc.

Etc. I think most royals, when not royal but doing their activities, already would have received honours for their commitment to good causes, for their involvement of charity, for the promotion of the common good, etc.

I am not saying they have not accomplished things in life :bang:

I am saying they receive foreign honors simply by virtue of either going on a visit there, or hosting a visit. Queen margrethe doesn't have a Dutch order becayse severities Danish art. JC doesn't have a British order for being king after fascist control. None of their foreign orders are about contributions they make to the country the order is from.

If you look at orders, you will find like the legion, there are those who have contributed to the country (politicians, artists, humanitarians ) and others like foreign dignitaries who get them because of who they are not what they do.

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Here are a couple of more photos from the ceremony: Modtog fornem fransk orden: Prinsesse Marie fejret af Joachim og svigerfar | BT Royale - www.bt.dk

There are couple of interesting facts about the order.

At any given time the number of living recipients of the order cannot exceed 125.000.

The number of French citizens who can recieive the order annually is:
Grand Cross: 6 persons.
Grand Officer: 15 persons.
Commander: 75 persons.
Officer: 360 persons.
Knight: 2.800 persons.
- These figures apply to French citizens, foreign citizens (our Marie being one) are not included, but they are very few indeed anyway.
26 of 322 foreigners have the Legion of Honour.
The figures stems from the French embassy.

- And, Iceflower/moderators. I do think the current discussion as to why Marie received the honor is valid.
It's not up to me as a Dane, to say whether Marie deserves the order or not. It's held in high esteem by the French I know.
But I find the discussion and also the discussion as to why she received it interesting. So please continue the discussion and I'm sure we are adult enough to keep it civilized. ;)

Another interesting fact : daughters and female descendants of people receiving a Légion d'honneur order have access to one of their maisons d'éducation. They are among the best French schools.

More information on their website : Les maisons d'éducation de la Légion d'honneur | La grande chancellerie

It means Princess Athena, as Princess Marie's daughter, could one day be a student there.
Same goes for Princesses Isabella and Josephine, as Prince Henrik's granddaughters.

To me Marie is Officier de la Legion d' Honneur Red Ruban and red Rosette.
Grand Officier is red Ruban , red rosette and under the Rosette white and Gold. Grand Officier has also a silver plate, the Princess Should have worn it or show in its Box.

I wrote to the Order on the Legion d' Honneur asking them wish Order Princess Marie really received

Last edited:
I received an answer of the Person in Charge of the Légion d' Honneur.
She will transmit my mail to the person in Charge on the Attribution of the Order out of France.
To me the Princess is Officier and not Grand Officier.
If they did a mistake it is bad for Princess Marie and bad for the Order of the légion d' Honneur.

Congratulations to Prss Marie. A wonderful honour to have earnt from her native country. And it looks good too. (seen on another site.)
But someone is not doing their job properly. We here on the forums should not have to be guessing the where's and why's about this important event for the princess. The palace press release should have been full of information about the event. So saving us the trouble of speculation.

Tarlita
But someone is not doing their job properly. We here on the forums should not have to be guessing the where's and why's about this important event for the princess. The palace press release should have been full of information about the event. So saving us the trouble of speculation.

The DRF's website, gallery section and also the pages on Princess Marie, gives the information that Marie received the order ”Grand Officier dans l’Ordre de la Légion d’Honneur". So if people are speculating it's not because there is no information, it's because they just can't believe it's true.

Last edited:
I believe that royals get all kinds of honours because of who they are - they attract attention to the award - I have no idea if Marie deserved what she was awarded but I am pretty sure that she wouldn't have been there if she wasn't Princess Marie of Denmark.
But its ok, like with all awards you need public people to carry the torch.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #16, 2017.
Written by Marianne Singer.

Our Marie was honored with the Grand Officier dans l'Ordre de la Légion d'Honneur at the French embassy.
Around 100 guests were invited, some of them close friends of the DRF, as well as Marie's family. Her father Alain Cavallier, who could not keep back his tears. Her mother, Francoise Grassiot. Her brothers, Charles and Eduard Cavallier and Raymond Patenotre with wife.
PH and Joachim were also there.

It was the French ambassador, Francois Zimeray, who presented the order.
The French ambassador has in recent years become a familiar face to the Danes, partly due to the recurring terror attacks in France, but also because he has turned the French embassy very much into a cultural hub, very much promoting French culture.

The ambassador said in his speech: "The Legion of Honour, the highest order of France is awarded to Your Royal Highness and through You the whole royal family.
But first and foremost it marks Your personal merits. It's a testament to Frances deep devotion for Your family and for Denmark. As You know our countries have a thousand years of history in common (*), a community of values and commitment, which You in such a unique way personify and make immeasurably present".

Marie also gave a speech: "It's a great honor for me and I'd like to share it with all those I work with and who support me in the day to day life. My husband, my family, my associates, my protections and the persons who surround me. This, being decorated by the country of my birth France - in Denmark, the country to which I have lost me heart, is for me both moving and an expression for esteem and friendship".

PH has previously been awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of the Legion of Honour.

(*) Yes, Danish Vikings raided Paris in the mid-800's and the province of Normandy was settled predominantly by Danish Vikings - to fend off other Vikings.
Normandy and Eastern England was settled (with more or less reluctance from the locals...) by Danes.
Ireland, Scotland, Iceland and as far as Canada was settled mostly by Norwegians while Swedes went east to form Rusland later Russia and moving on as far as Constantinople and Northern Persia.

Last edited:

Today, August 2nd, Princess Marie paid a visit to the summer camp of the Academy of Talentful Youth in Brønshøj:

** b.dk gallery **

Thank you, Iceflower. :flowers:

Our Marie does look casually elegant here.

BB has a video of the visit: VIDEO: Prinsesse Marie tilbage på job | BILLED-BLADET
Where we hear Marie telling a little bit about what went on.
As always her Danish is near flawless. - There was only one very slight grammatical slip, where she put the words together in French rather than Danish. Her pronunciation is perfect with only a very minor accent.
As usual she's using a fairly simple Danish to express herself. Everyday-Danish so to speak, in comparison to Mary's more intellectual Danish, which is particularly evident when she has a message to bring across.

About 60 % of all Danish youth go to what is equivalent to high school in other countries. In addition to that there are a number of other business and technical schools which also teach on an academic level.
The project here is basically for the best students in the high schools. Those who are bored on a day-to-day basis. Here they get together with other students like themselves and face case-studies and challenges.

----------

- A major problem IMO is that too many go to high school, it lowers the general level. And if you don't leave high school with at least pretty good grades you won't have wasted thee years, but the three years might have been better employed had they gone to a trade school instead.
Because too many of those who go to high school, simply don't have the abilities or are not yet mature enough, again IMO.
Beforehand high school was for those who were sure to go to university afterwards. That is far from the case today.
Basic schooling in Denmark today is 10 years of school, followed by 2-3 years in high school, business school, technical school or 3-4 years in a trade school. Anything less is considered inadequate.
Our daughter is to start in high school now, and our son at an IT academy at the university, so they are following the general pattern.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom