Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 27: June 2018 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the Dr yesterday, they had two billboards out saying if you have the symptoms don't go in the building call this number; but were taking other patients.
The Queen should not place herself at risk.

Knowing nothing about broadcasting I have no idea how easy it would be to record an address with minimal interaction with others. Does HM have skype?? Or maybe upload onto youtube.;)

I don't find it very reassuring that the doctors don't want people coming in.. but I suppose iwht crowded waiting rooms they have no option.
I don't see the queen doing a broadcast... though possible she codl record something with minimal personnel...

Perhaps I should have clarified more. Hubby is 73, has a history of COPD and underwent chemotherapy followed by a very major surgery last year. Being such a high risk for this virus, the doctor preferred he didn't take that risk of being out in public. I don't think for a minute he's cancelled *all* his appointments. Just the high risk category ones. ?

Perhaps the Queen will find a way to be able to the address the public with minimal risk to her own self but that's something we'll just have to wait and see. I would think it would take something like the closing of Parliament to bring something like this about.

I think many of us would welcome an address from HM. The mood here is increasingly sombre.

The Queen can offer encouragement & hope.

What can she say that the PM can't? He would have to approve what she says anyway (only the Christmas message is hers alone - all other speeches have to be approved).

Why put her at risk when the PM has the experts by his side and is speaking every day?

All she can say is 'stay safe and listen to the experts'.

I wonder if maybe HM will release a statement, a little like the one on her official birthday after Grenfel. I'm sure BP don't want it to seem like HM doesn't care (even though we all know she does), its a fine line and IMO a statement would be more a middle approach and wouldn't involve HM having to put herself at risk.

And thank doctors, nurses and other essential workers. A statement would be fine, if it's explained that she's worried about letting a TV crew into the Palace.

One of the most important functions of a monarch is to provide some sort of comfort, encouragement and assurance to his or her nation at a time of crisis - outside of the political arena.

Considering other monarchs have been quite capable of making an address to their nations without seemingly becoming at risk from film crews, I see no reason why the Queen couldn't do the same.

Maybe a brief mention using tenuous references will be made during the Christmas address in 9 months time.

In the UK The Queen can't address the nation without the consent of the government. Other countries have different rules. The Queen has the least freedom of anyone in the UK ... can't say what she wants to say, has to meet people she would prefer not to meet, has to go to places she doesn't want to go (now at least she isn't being forced overseas).

What will be interesting is what they will do about the State Opening of Parliament this year or will they simply not have The Queen do it?

One of the most important functions of a monarch is to provide some sort of comfort, encouragement and assurance to his or her nation at a time of crisis - outside of the political arena.

Considering other monarchs have been quite capable of making an address to their nations without seemingly becoming at risk from film crews, I see no reason why the Queen couldn't do the same.

Maybe a brief mention using tenuous references will be made during the Christmas address in 9 months time.

the queen is very elderly now.. older than any other monarchs...

Perhaps I should have clarified more. Hubby is 73, has a history of COPD and underwent chemotherapy followed by a very major surgery last year. Being such a high risk for this virus, the doctor preferred he didn't take that risk of being out in public. I don't think for a minute he's cancelled *all* his appointments. Just the high risk category ones. ?

Perhaps the Queen will find a way to be able to the address the public with minimal risk to her own self but that's something we'll just have to wait and see. I would think it would take something like the closing of Parliament to bring something like this about.

Im sorry to hear that.. I hope he is Ok. but in the UK as far as I can see doctors are switching to telephone appointments..

Instead of a televised address, could the queen release a statement to be read out by Prince William on her behalf. (Once approved of course.)
I think her subjects would be happy enough with that.

I really feel for politicians everywhere. This is unprecedented, they are dealing with the unknown, except for knowing many will die and many will face financial hardship.

Trying to make these huge unpopular decisions must weigh very heavily on them all.

I wish only the best for everyone.

When did those other monarchs have to face the very real possibility of being infected with a deadly virus? HM is almost 94....she’s extremely vulnerable

Instead of a televised address, could the queen release a statement to be read out by Prince William on her behalf. (Once approved of course.)

That's a good idea.

When did those other monarchs have to face the very real possibility of being infected with a deadly virus? HM is almost 94....she’s extremely vulnerable

King Harald is 83 and Queen Margrethe is 79 so they both are in a very vulnerable age range. That didn't prevent them from recording a message though.
Afterall, it's not like the camera operator was breathing on their face.

King Harald is 83 and Queen Margrethe is 79 so they both are in a very vulnerable age range. That didn't prevent them from recording a message though.
Afterall, it's not like the camera operator was breathing on their face.

I mean, it’s fine if HM wants to do something that involves minimal interaction, but if she thinks it best to let the politicians deal with it now, I’m ok with that also. Even if HM were to speak, it’s the politicians’ job to reassure the public while at the same time being frank. This is the kind of thing they were elected to handle.

Court Circular 17th March:
Buckingham Palace

The Queen received the Bishop of Hereford (the Right Reverend Richard Jackson) today who did homage upon his appointment.

The Bishop of Carlisle (Clerk of the Closet) was in attendance.

I’m told the Queen conducted her weekly audience with the Prime Minister by telephone this evening, not in person as planned, at the request of Downing Street.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, it’s fine if HM wants to do something that involves minimal interaction, but if she thinks it best to let the politicians deal with it now, I’m ok with that also. Even if HM were to speak, it’s the politicians’ job to reassure the public while at the same time being frank. This is the kind of thing they were elected to handle.

From yesterday's Times:

"Palace sources said that the Queen would only speak to the nation directly about the coronavirus crisis at the invitation of the government. It is understood to have been discussed but so far she has not been asked to do so."

From yesterday's Times:

"Palace sources said that the Queen would only speak to the nation directly about the coronavirus crisis at the invitation of the government. It is understood to have been discussed but so far she has not been asked to do so."

I’d seen this before, but thanks!

Well, whether HM spoke with the PM or not, she did make a lovely statement. Here’s the last part:

“Many of us will need to find new ways of staying in touch with each other and making sure that loved ones are safe. I am certain we are up to that challenge. You can be assured that my family and I stand ready to play our part”

Last edited:
Statement from the Queen:

"As Philip and I arrive at Windsor today, we know that many individuals and families across the United Kingdom, and around the world, are entering a period of great concern and uncertainty. We are all being advised to change our normal routines and regular patterns of life for the greater good of the communities we live in and, in particular, to protect the most vulnerable within them.

At times such as these, I am reminded that our nation's history has been forged by people and communities coming together to work as one, concentrating our combined efforts with a focus on the common goal.

"We are enormously thankful for the expertise and commitment of our scientists, medical practitioners and emergency and public services; but now more than any time in our recent past, we all have a vitally important part to play as individuals - today and in the coming days, weeks and months.

"Many of us will need to find new ways of staying in touch with each other and making sure that loved ones are safe. I am certain we are up to that challenge. You can be assured that my family and I stand ready to play our part."

What can she say that the PM can't? He would have to approve what she says anyway (only the Christmas message is hers alone - all other speeches have to be approved).

Why put her at risk when the PM has the experts by his side and is speaking every day?

All she can say is 'stay safe and listen to the experts'.

Is the PM so well-loved and respected that his words could soothe and encourage the broader public?

Corona is not transported via paper but by breath to breath transmission within 1-2 metres.

If this was 100% true than the country where I live would not be disinfecting Public playgrounds and bus stops, as well as buses themselves.
There is no hard evidence but nonetheless precautions must be taken.

Is the PM so well-loved and respected that his words could soothe and encourage the broader public?

I think the country is really 50/50 on Boris but probably with more distrust than trust. I live in a town where the majority voted for the Tories but many Conservative supporters I know are starting to lose their trust in Boris (I don't know what the rest of the country is like though). Many in Northern England are especially losing their trust in him after his failure to act on the flooding when he promised that the North would be a "powerhouse". Personally I've never been a fan of the man and think he's just spouting nonsense as he always does.

Court Circular 18th March:
Buckingham Palace

The Queen today received Commodore Stephen Moorhouse (outgoing Commanding Officer, HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH) and Captain Angus Essenhigh (incoming Commanding Officer).

Miss Louise Tait was received by Her Majesty this afternoon upon relinquishing her appointment as Scottish Communications Secretary.

The Rt. Hon. Boris Johnson MP (Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury) had an audience of The Queen via telephone this evening.

On a brighter note, the reports that Prince Philip is practically bedridden seem to be exaggerated, as he's well enough to have travelled from Sandringham to Windsor to join the Queen there. I'm glad the Queen's at Windsor. Things are worse in London than in the rest of the country, and, duty or no, there's no sense in someone in their 90s taking risks.

Bravo!

On a brighter note, the reports that Prince Philip is practically bedridden seem to be exaggerated, as he's well enough to have travelled from Sandringham to Windsor to join the Queen there. I'm glad the Queen's at Windsor. Things are worse in London than in the rest of the country, and, duty or no, there's no sense in someone in their 90s taking risks.

All good news.:flowers:

The Daily Mail is saying the word from Downing Street is that the Queen will address the nation on an unspecified date soon: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ke-major-coronavirus-TV-address.html#comments

I noticed that the commenters are reacting unfavourably to this idea. It is the DM of course...rare to find comments that aren't negative!...but I wonder how much truth there is to it?

I support the Queen and can see why people find her a reassuring figure of stability in turbulent times, but in this case, I can also see why people who are asked to quarantine in their small apartments or homes might not be impressed by an address from a monarch in a castle.

Any thoughts?

Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh Current Events Part 27: June 2018 -

Other monarchs have addressed their people due to this crisis. Why anyone would be upset with HM for doing the same is beyond me. I would think it would be reassuring, a source of comfort.

The Daily Mail is saying the word from Downing Street is that the Queen will address the nation on an unspecified date soon: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ke-major-coronavirus-TV-address.html#comments

I noticed that the commenters are reacting unfavourably to this idea. It is the DM of course...rare to find comments that aren't negative!...but I wonder how much truth there is to it?

I support the Queen and can see why people find her a reassuring figure of stability in turbulent times, but in this case, I can also see why people who are asked to quarantine in their small apartments or homes might not be impressed by an address from a monarch in a castle.

Any thoughts?

I think The Prince Of Wales wanted to make this address and has used his vast staff to tilt perceptions. His PR is always at odds with the main BP strategy. And, although she lives in castles, she is not a showy person and has never been.

Besides … given the staff at BP and WC, she will likely have to retreat a bit. The amount of staff they employ makes her quite vulnerable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom