Queen Margrethe II announces Abdication for January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Proclamation of King Frederik IX of Denmark occurred on the balcony of Christiansborg Palace.
The Proclamation of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark occurred on the balcony of Christiansborg Palace.
Will the Proclamation of King Frederik X of Denmark occur on the balcony of Christiansborg Palace?

The Proclamation of King Frederik IX of Denmark occurred on the balcony of Christiansborg Palace.
The Proclamation of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark occurred on the balcony of Christiansborg Palace.
Will the Proclamation of King Frederik X of Denmark occur on the balcony of Christiansborg Palace?

IMO more than likely. Christiansborg is the Parliament, it makes good sense that the PM proclaim the new king from there.

What I found most interesting happened on the Public tv Channel DR’s panel discussion leading up to the New Year’s speech: royalty pundit Thomas Larsen, author of the acclaimed book “Monark og Menneske” ( monarch and Human being) said that the health of HM was worse than we had been told! He went
on to say that he wouldn’t be surprised if HM gave some “ historically breaking news” in her New Year’s speech!
Well, she did indeed!
Apparently noone has followed up on this in the wall-to-wall TV coverage
we’ve had since 18.10 lt last night!

I don’t post here often, but I hope that it’s within the rules to wish the RF members a happy and prosperous - and hopefully - peaceful New Year!

Thank you Viv for coming back to the Board with this interesting information as you are Dane yourself.
HM must be a strong Lady and as our King Albert she is abdicating because of health reasons.
We never expected King Philippe being such a great King. With good adviseurs King Frederik will be a great and modern King and will have the help of Queen Mary and his Children whose life will change completely.

Reactions: Viv
In Spain and in the United Kingdom, a unilateral abdication by the King does have immediate legal effect since it has to be ratified first by an act of Parliament.

In Denmark, however, the Succession to the Throne Act determines that the rules of succession apply automatically in case of an abdication as if there were the demise of the King. So, my understanding is that CP Frederik will become King Frederik X as soon as his mother signs the abdication instrument.

The prospect of the start of a new reign is really exciting, especially for Frederik and Mary. Where are the King and Queen expected to live after the accession? Will they move from their current main residence? Will Christian get his own place possibly?

The prospect of the start of a new reign is really exciting, especially for Frederik and Mary. Where are the King and Queen expected to live after the accession? Will they move from their current main residence? Will Christian get his own place possibly?

I guess at Amalienborg the residence will be like they are. Margrethe did not switch her residence there after becoming Queen and neither did her parents or grandparents. I also don't think Christian will already now given his own residence.

I guess at Amalienborg the residence will be like they are. Margrethe did not switch her residence there after becoming Queen and neither did her parents or grandparents. I also don't think Christian will already now given his own residence.

I mean, both Belgium and the Netherlands are good examples how to handle being King and Queen with teenage/young adult kids.

What I found most interesting happened on the Public tv Channel DR’s panel discussion leading up to the New Year’s speech: royalty pundit Thomas Larsen, author of the acclaimed book “Monark og Menneske” ( monarch and Human being) said that the health of HM was worse than we had been told! He went
on to say that he wouldn’t be surprised if HM gave some “ historically breaking news” in her New Year’s speech!
Well, she did indeed!

That is very interesting.

I was impressed how tightly controlled the information was, and that there were no leaks at all.

I don’t think anything will happen in the foreseable future! However
HMs court will no doubt be reduced at some point, and that might
affect her living arrangements, especially regarding Fredensborg.

She spends a lot of time at the “ big house” of Fredensborg, while the
crown princely family occupy the “ annexe”. I could see some changes
happening there, if they intend to use the palace like HM and her parents did!
We will be informed in due course!

Like almost everyone else, I did not see this coming.
But a good decision for QM and for Frederik as well. It is time for him to get the top job.
The Spanish episode is history now. There won't be questions asked anymore. Frederik will need Mary by his side now more than ever. He'll have to do the serious work now, put in the effort.
And he won't be able to ditch any security detail now, ever ;)

I was impressed how tightly controlled the information was, and that there were no leaks at all.

Well, I’m a big question mark regarding the statement of Thomas Larsen!
He’s known as a respected author, not prone to any wild, tabloidlike speculation! So what exactly made him say, what he said?

Her abdication came as a surprise to me too. She has been queen for a very long time and I think it is a good time to pass the crown on to the younger generation of the family. I wish her many more wonderful years in which she can enjoy her “retirement”.

Like almost everyone else, I did not see this coming.
But a good decision for QM and for Frederik as well. It is time for him to get the top job.
The Spanish episode is history now. There won't be questions asked anymore. Frederik will need Mary by his side now more than ever. He'll have to do the serious work now, put in the effort.
And he won't be able to ditch any security detail now, ever ;)

Perhaps that was a factor in the Queen's decision to abdicate. I mean, forcing Frederik to grow up and live up to what is expected of him. Maybe she felt that, if she waited too long to step down, Frederik could ruin his reputation and his marriage before becoming king.

Regarding the Spanish incident, I personally think Frederik was at fault. But, as I think you have said before, Mary seems to have made her peace with her husband's transgressions, so now that she will finally be queen consort, both she and Frederik will move on. The Danish public had already turned a blind eye on the affair, even disputing Frederik's guilt. Now, with the abdication, the story will be buried.

Last edited:
Perhaps that was a factor in the Queen's decision to abdicate. I mean, forcing Frederik to grow up and live up to what is expected of him. Maybe she felt that, if she waited too long to step down, Frederik could ruin his reputation and his marriage before becoming king.

Regarding the Spanish incident, I personally think Frederik was at fault. But, as I think you said before, Mary seems to have made her peace with her husband's transgressions, so now that she will finally be queen consort, both she and Frederik will move on. The Danish public had already turned a blind eye on the affair, even disputing Frederik's guilt. Now, with the abdication, the story will be buried.

You said it more clearly that I did, agree 100%. I think the major factor was health, but some other issues will have contributed, and to me it is very likely that the incident in Spain played a role. We have no idea what has been going on in the background, even for years.
I do hope that Frederik was involved in the decision early on and that is was not a case of 'recollections may vary' when and how the topic was mentioned within the family, like in 'titlegate'.
Christians life will change too, he is now in the line with all the other heirs more or less his age.

In Spain and in the United Kingdom, a unilateral abdication by the King does have immediate legal effect since it has to be ratified first by an act of Parliament.

In Denmark, however, the Succession to the Throne Act determines that the rules of succession apply automatically in case of an abdication as if there were the demise of the King. So, my understanding is that CP Frederik will become King Frederik X as soon as his mother signs the abdication instrument.

M&F will live where they live now. After all their mansion has been renovated into being a residence for a monarch.
Christian is likely to in any case to get his own apartment at Amalienborg.

You said it more clearly that I did, agree 100%. I think the major factor was health, but some other issues will have contributed, and to me it is very likely that the incident in Spain played a role. We have no idea what has been going on in the background, even for years.
I do hope that Frederik was involved in the decision early on and that is was not a case of 'recollections may vary' when and how the topic was mentioned within the family, like in 'titlegate'.
Christians life will change too, he is now in the line with all the other heirs more or less his age.

I wonder if Frederik knew well in advance this was coming? Or was this something that was decided within the last few months. or did the events of the last few months push the decision forward?

I was out all day yesterday and completely caught off guard with this!

I wonder if Frederik knew well in advance this was coming? Or was this something that was decided within the last few months. or did the events of the last few months push the decision forward?

I was out all day yesterday and completely caught off guard with this!

Of course, no one knows for certain, but somehow I doubt ‘the Spanish incident’ would have happened if the Crown Prince knew abdication was imminent.

And I think this could be QMII’s way of saying “time to grow up and be a man. You apparently have too much time on your hands…”

Of course, no one knows for certain, but somehow I doubt ‘the Spanish incident’ would have happened if the Crown Prince knew abdication was imminent.

And I think this could be QMII’s way of saying “time to grow up and be a man. You apparently have too much time on your hands…”

I think he already knew, because it seems the decision had already been made before this incident.

Well Toledo, the 4pm tv news covered it, but not until forty minutes into the bulletin … after everything else, including the sport.

And that is here in Tasmania.

But the report was more about Mary than about Queen Margrethe or Frederik, so I suppose there is that.

Maybe the public, and not the controlled Murdoch press, will start the demand to get more coverage on the soon to be Queen Mary. I'm checking the Sydney Morning news and nothing on the cover except article praising Murdoch for having money: https://www.smh.com.au

The Australian does have Mary, behind a pay wall, when you scroll down the main page:
https://www.theaustralian.com.au

And I LOVE the name of the article: "Blow to Republicans, All Hail Mary, our flannie queen living in a rom-com dream"

I don't know what the adjective 'flannie queen' means here.

I was, too. News like this usually doesn’t come as a total surprise, either because of actual leaks, or authorized “leaks” sent out in advance to soften the ground.

I have followed the DRF for a long time now, and I’m going to miss Queen Margrethe in her role as Denmark’s reigning monarch. I love the fact that she’s unapologetically herself - eccentric, strong minded, artistic, intellectual, the list goes on.

Well, now Frederik and Mary will be the next reigning couple, I guess that they will a tour to the Nordic neighbours

Absolutely at some point, but not before visits to the Danish realm – which I think 2024 will be made up of.

QMII herself didn't commence her introductory visits to the Nordic countries until 1973.

"We are deeply affected but full of respect for Her Majesty's decision," Count Ingolf and Countess Sussie of Rosenborg said about Queen Margrethe II's abdication to BILLED-BLADET.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kendte/...nde-sussie-her-er-deres-reaktion-paa-dronning

Ingolf explains to BT that he was one of the few people told ahead of the speech.

Asked if Crown Prince Frederik will be able to take on QMII's great legacy, he responds: "Yes, he will. The new Majesty absolutely will be able to do that."

For any of our Danish posters who were watching the broadcast live, were you totally shocked and taken aback by the announcement or was their a sense that this was close?

I suspect certain people in at least DR's studio ahead of the speech knew in advance. Journalist Stephanie Surrugue (who wrote the portrait Enegænger with the late Prince Henrik) has declined knowing ahead of time but made some very suspicious comments along the line of "[the hosts] will be there to catch the viewers afterwards" and just before cutting to the speech, she introduced it as a "possibly historical speech".

Personally, I thought they were just speculating and even made fun of them for doing so. Needless to say, my jaw hit the ground when QMII actually made her announcement.

This also means a "retirement" for Princess Benedikte, and no public engagements for Count Ingolf?

Doubt it. Doubt that it will be an absolute retirement for QMII either. Like her Dutch counterpart, I suspect she'll continue to undertake official engagements – just not to the extent she has done as a monarch and I assume she will pass on some of her protectorates as well.

Among those will be the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment. Since Alexandra of Denmark married into the BRF, the reigning Danish monarch has held an honorary military appointment in the British army. It's going to be interesting to see if Charles III upholds that tradition with Frederik X.

I guess there will be a gala dinner and Mary's first tiara as Queen will be the Pearl Poire? I'm just realising that, if the Ruby Parure is reserved for the Crown Princess, tomorrow will be the last time we could see it on Mary, and the last time we see it until Christian gets married!!!?

Ingrid left the Ruby Parure for Frederik and as such it will merge with the Crown and still be available to Mary.

Unfortunately there's no precedent for hosting gala dinners. That makes sense as a succession of the throne usually comes in the wake of the death of a monarch and the proclamation is made shortly thereafter.

Should there be some occasion surrounding the succession for Mary to wear a tiara, I'm pretty sure she would wear the crown jewels though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish Christian could have gone through military service and university without that burden. He is still young and looks immature. But it was not meant to be. I guess.

Anyway, if Leonor and Elisabeth can/could handle it, I am sure Christian will be able to do it too.

The eldest sons of kings have sometimes beome crown prince of their respective kingdom at an age much younger than the age of eighteen.
Hopefully Prince Christian will do well.

As of January 14th,King Frederik X and Queen Mary.
Danmark moves on.

I wonder if some reporters will not pay attention to the spelling of Frederik's name. If they include the c he will be King Frederick X.

The eldest sons of kings have sometimes beome crown prince of their respective kingdom at an age much younger than the age of eighteen.
Hopefully Prince Christian will do well.

Christian may take advice from his father who was also Crown Prince during his military and university years.

I imagine that Christian expected to have a few additional years of greater freedom. But, again, if the family had early warning about the abdication, Christian may have already had a few months at least to process the change. I wouldn't be surprised if he already knew about the abdication when he turned 18 last October.

Last edited:

I think this is something that may have been in the planning for some time. The change of titles for Joachim's children was very much part of the neatening out of affairs in preparation for a change of reign.

I wonder if some reporters will not pay attention to the spelling of Frederik's name. If they include the c he will be King Frederick X.

:previous: Foreign reporters misspelling his name won't make it true. He will be Frederik X of Denmark regardless.

Maybe the public, and not the controlled Murdoch press, will start the demand to get more coverage on the soon to be Queen Mary. I'm checking the Sydney Morning news and nothing on the cover except article praising Murdoch for having money: https://www.smh.com.au

The Australian does have Mary, behind a pay wall, when you scroll down the main page:
https://www.theaustralian.com.au

And I LOVE the name of the article: "Blow to Republicans, All Hail Mary, our flannie queen living in a rom-com dream"

I don't know what the adjective 'flannie queen' means here.

Here is a photo of Mary in her “flannie” … her flannelette shirt … Toledo. (Scroll down a bit, Mary standing between two guys, holding a can of drink, black and white.).

I don’t think the Murdoch press had anything to do with the local coverage here in Tasmania yesterday, or that there will be any “ demand” from the public to get more.

Australians aren’t going to get all wrapped up in this, we will wish Mary well, and get on with our own lives. That’s how Australia is.

https://ksieznamary.blogspot.com/p/mary-jako-dziecko-w-1972-z-matka.html

Here is a photo of Mary in her “flannie” … her flannelette shirt … Toledo. (Scroll down a bit, Mary standing between two guys, holding a can of drink, black and white.).

I don’t think the Murdoch press had anything to do with the local coverage here in Tasmania yesterday, or that there will be any “ demand” from the public to get more.

Australians aren’t going to get all wrapped up in this, we will wish Mary well, and get on with our own lives. That’s how Australia is.

https://ksieznamary.blogspot.com/p/mary-jako-dziecko-w-1972-z-matka.html

Keeping also in mind that Mary renounced her Australian citizenship.

Really surprised! And so I hope her Abdication is just caused by her age and not by something pressing and serious.

If Her Majesty just retires, she hopefully finds a lot of time for her artistic adventures and her family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom