Regency for underaged monarchs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mybags

Courtier
City
San Diego
Country
United States
liv said:
I think when the partner dies they will still keep their titles .An other thinkg it´s with divorce.

You can see f.e with Fabiola of Belgium.She was and she is still Queen although her husband passed away a few years ago.
But I don´t think they can become Queen on their own. If Haakon died as Crown Prince Mette-Marit wouldn´t become the Sovereign but Ingrid Alexandra would rule.
Mette-Marit would be appointed as Regent until Ingrid Alexandra came of age to rule on her own.

This happened with Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands. Her father died when Wilhelmina was just a young girl. Her mother became Queen Regent Emma.

Of course because she is still so young. But when she is over 18 she would rule.

mybags said:
Mette-Marit would be appointed as Regent until Ingrid Alexandra came of age to rule on her own.

Actually Mette-Marit wouldn't. At least not automatically.

The Norwegian cabinet would have to gather up the Storting for an extraordinary meeting in which they shall decide who will act as a regent for Ingrid Alexandra until she reaches her 18th birthday. Until the Storting would have decided then the Cabinet would be acting regent/s.

It would never be Mette-Marit, probably Märtha Louise would be the regent

Larzen said:
It would never be Mette-Marit, probably Märtha Louise would be the regent

Probably. I was basing my reply on the constitution, though, and it doesn't offer any candidates automatically :)

Of course I hope it will never happen.

I really enjoy these discussions on the rights of succession. I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to the topic. But when I finally get the hang of it, I'm gonna be dangerous!:D

The Crown Princess of Norway

Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum today and I would like to ask a question.....

Why do you think that The Crown Princess of Norway would not be appointed Regent for her daughter should the unfortunate occasion arise?
She is the girl's mother and Martha Louise is only her aunt.... Not that she wouldn't be a good choice also. But, I believe throughout history, mothers have been the automatic and traditional choices for Regent -- even if they've turned out to be bad ones -eg- Catherine DeMedici...... :eek:

Regards,
Larry

Given Norway, like most other European kingdoms, are constitutional monarchies, MM just wouldn't automatically be regent. It would have to go through government approval. Say the Parliament doesn't find MM appropriate to regent, and ML better suited, they'll do that. Such was the case w/ Russia. After Tsar Nicholas II abdicated, the next in line for the throne would have been Tsaravich Alexei. People thought his sister Grand Duchess Olga would have been made regent in such a case, as Empress Alexandra was highly unpopular in Russia (as we know from history, none of this happened). But in all likelyhood, this situation would not happen in Norway either.

Last edited:
Why do you think that The Crown Princess of Norway would not be appointed Regent for her daughter should the unfortunate occasion arise?

It would probably have to do with the fact that Princess Martha Louise is in the line of succession whereas Princess Mette-Marit isn't. The Duke of Gloucester (father of the present Duke) was Regent Designate for Princess Elizabeth between her father's accession and her 18th birthday; her mother the Queen Consort was not. I believe the Queen Consort was one of the Counsellors of State for King George (and also for Elizabeth II) but she wasn't Regent Designate. I'm not sure about this, but I think Princess Margaret was Regent Designate for Prince Charles for a while, although Prince Philip took over the position at some point.

Welcome to the forum, by the way, Larry! Hope you enjoy being here.

Thanks!!

Hi Elspeth and Empress Rouge,

Thanks for the information on this convaluted question. I'm sure Martha Louise would be very well qualified in any case, and I have nothing against her. It's just that I always thought the mother automatically became regent.
I didn't know that The Queen Mother was not picked for Princess Elizabeth. You learn something new every day!!!

And, thanks for the welcome. ;)

Larry

EmpressRouge said:
Given Norway, like most other European kingdoms, are constitutional monarchies, MM just wouldn't automatically be regent. It would have to go through government approval. Say the Parliament doesn't find MM appropriate to regent, and ML better suited, they'll do that. Such was the case w/ Russia. After Tsar Nicholas II abdicated, the next in line for the throne would have been Tsaravich Alexei. People thought his sister Grand Duchess Olga would have been made regent in such a case, as Empress Alexandra was hirely unpopular in Russia (as we know from history, none of this happened). But in all likelyhood, this situation would not happen in Norway either.

Many people question the legality of the succession in Russia. When Nicholas abdicated, he did so for himself and for his son, which he had no right to do. According to Russian law, Nicholas only had the power to abdicate for himself. But given the extreme circumstances of the time, I don't think people cared any more about preserving their traditional succession.

What about Denmark? If CP Frederick was to die, would Queen Margrethe become Regent for Prince Christian, or would CP Mary become Regent?

Queen Margrethe will be queen until she dies, she can never be Regent for Prince Christian

Presumably Margrethe would have died before Frederik, but hopefully not for a long time, of course! Mary seems loved enough in Denmark, but let's hope Christian comes of age before he has to rule.

Also, if I remember correctly, Queen Catherine de' Medici (wife of King Henri II) and Mary, Queen of Scots were both Dowager Queens of France after the death of Catherine's son and Mary's first husband, Francis II. Mary was only 16 at the time, too.

In Spain Letizia would become regent until Leonor's 18 birhtday. I belive it is regulated in the very constitution. I think it's a good thing these things are arranged but let's hope none of our countries will ever need any of it. Imagine having to be king or queen at 18 :ohmy:

Martha Louise cant be regent bc she gave up her right for the throne when she got married by her own choice i thought

Martha Louise cant be regent bc she gave up her right for the throne when she got married by her own choice i thought

No Märtha Louise is still in line of sucession as are her daughters. She gave up her HRH on 01.02.2002 but it was not because of the Wedding it was because of her business.

Back
Top Bottom