Restoration of the Serbian Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peter is a graphic designer doing computer work he admittedly could probably do in Serbia. He was in New York, is now in London and says eventually he will move to Serbia. Philip is in finance in London and also talked, after he broke up with his long term girlfriend, about one day moving to Serbia and getting a Serbian girlfriend. No word about either seriously contemplating a move so far.

I don't think your relationship with your stepmother is reason enough to avoid a whole country. It is a big enough place you can find ways to avoid her most of the time and live your own life. I'm not buying that reasoning. It is a big transition and the language barrier, etc affects having a job/business there.

Last edited:
No language is easy to learn when you are an adult and some people learn languages easier than others. So I would say it is unfair to judge the Crown Princely couple for that.

Peter is a graphic designer doing computer work he admittedly could probably do in Serbia. He was in New York, is now in London and says eventually he will move to Serbia. Philip is in finance in London and also talked, after he broke up with his long term girlfriend, about one day moving to Serbia and getting a Serbian girlfriend. No word about either seriously contemplating a move so far.

I don't think your relationship with your stepmother is reason enough to avoid a whole country. It is a big enough place you can find ways to avoid her most of the time and live your own life. I'm not buying that reasoning. It is a big transition and the language barrier, etc affects having a job/business there.

The children have bad relationships with the stepmother? I did know that.

One can say that he does have some sort of lack of interest,but his wife doesn't...very demanding and very energetic woman who knows what she wants...and he is trying to follow her...In the circle near the royal pair,she has a reputation of being very "pushy" about it...

Both Alexander and Katherine try to speak Serbian for years now,but when they do,it looks very awkward and funny...with very little or almost no progress and people see it clearly...

Unlike Princess Eliazbeth who spoke very badly Serbian when she returned to the country and now her Serbian in much better than before...

The best Serbian speaker in the royal family is her brother Prince Alexander,but he lives in Paris and is not much known in the country...

Other members of the family have the same problem,more or less,except maybe some members like Princesses Eva Marija Karadjordjevic or Princess Ljiljana Karadjordjevic which are native born speakers...

I agree with you. Unfortunately he is very old. He has four sons who have rarely been in Serbia, about their Serbian language should not even talk. Prince Dimitri did not even once visited Serbia.
Karadjordjevic family is numerous, but few of them are showing interest in Serbia and they are very old.

Plus: the internal unrest, the tragic wars between the former Yugoslav brother-states and the after-war sanctions imposed on Serbia have left their strain on the economy. Serbia (the heartland of former Yugoslavia) had to manage the loss of major industrial and manufacturing activities to Croatia and Slovenia, due to the war, the unrest and the sanctions the major tourist sector suffered severe blows. The last years Serbia is making progress, has requested for membership of the EU, that immense economic bloc, and the hopes are that it will recover further. Seen from the individual viewpoints of the former royal family, it is not so strange that many prefer to pursue a career and a living in London, New York, Paris, whatever than in Serbia itself. Of course all with the knowledge that any restoration of the Serbian monarchy is just theoretical.

I'm very surprised that Prince Alexander the younger has a girlfriend. I did not get that impression when watching a video of him being interviewed at Nicolas de Romanie-Medforth-Mills birthday party earlier this year. Huh, well I guess you can't always believe stereotypes.

I'm very surprised that Prince Alexander the younger has a girlfriend. I did not get that impression when watching a video of him being interviewed at Nicolas de Romanie-Medforth-Mills birthday party earlier this year. Huh, well I guess you can't always believe stereotypes.

In the media in July it was said they were friends first and they had only been dating a few months. Since Nicholas's birthday was over 4 months ago they may not have been dating then or it was really new.

It always struck me that the Crown Prince tries quite hard to both speak the language and adjust to a culture he was not raised in, and I find that most people I know who get to know him a little, have a greater appreciation for him than they do their politicians and presidents. The thing that he lacks, besides his sons and heirs more at his side, engaged in the society they want to reign over, is the PR-machine that would help smooth over some of the bad press he sometimes gets.
Despite the obstacles, he does enjoy quite significant support, and both he and the Crown Princess are respected for their work across the country.

Last edited:
:previous:Partially agree. The crown prince couple gives me the impression that they try much for the country and help significantly. But many are bothered about the issue of language and agree for that. For me the most important is that children should begin to play a more active role in the country's society. It is of course positive that the young Alexander lives permanently in the country. And totally agree that you say about the PR-machine who must help them.

This is true,but their PR-machine is terrible.

If you see the articles in the newspapers about them these days,you will find always something awful...how they beg Serbian Air Company to fly for free in business class,but they were refused...some "ugly" pictures of CP sons,during some parties with girls and drinks were also published...

Here are some of them:

http://images3.kurir.rs/slika-w640/...karadordevici-blud-razv-1445555900-768173.jpg

http://images2.kurir.rs/slika-900x6...karadordevici-blud-razv-1445555816-768175.jpg

http://images.kurir.rs/slika-900x60...karadordevici-blud-razv-1445555816-768177.jpg

http://images2.kurir.rs/slika-w640/...karadordevici-blud-razv-1445555836-768181.jpg

http://images2.kurir.rs/slika-900x6...iii-afera-blud-pijani-p-1445633633-769051.jpg

Even though the sons are still "young" some things are not "allowed" for them just because they are royals,while other "celebrities" do this every day.They just do what most people of their age have done at some point,but others don't get "punished" in this sort of way...

The comments in articles about them are also terrible.Even when they do something good,they get bashed in article comments...

I mean,they just need different kind of PR-machine because they are presented in most unflattering way most of the time...

Last edited:

If you see the articles in the newspapers about them these days,you will find always something awful...how they beg Serbian Air Company to fly for free in business class,but they were refused...some "ugly" pictures of CP sons,during some parties with girls and drinks were also published...

Here are some of them:

http://images3.kurir.rs/slika-w640/...karadordevici-blud-razv-1445555900-768173.jpg

http://images2.kurir.rs/slika-900x6...karadordevici-blud-razv-1445555816-768175.jpg

http://images.kurir.rs/slika-900x60...karadordevici-blud-razv-1445555816-768177.jpg

http://images2.kurir.rs/slika-w640/...karadordevici-blud-razv-1445555836-768181.jpg

http://images2.kurir.rs/slika-900x6...iii-afera-blud-pijani-p-1445633633-769051.jpg

Even though the sons are still "young" some things are not "allowed" for them just because they are royals,while other "celebrities" do this every day.They just do what most people of their age have done at some point,but others don't get "punished" in this sort of way...

The comments in articles about them are also terrible.Even when they do something good,they get bashed in article comments...

I mean,they just need different kind of PR-machine because they are presented in most unflattering way most of the time...

I would agree with you entirely, these links do underline the need for a professional staff around the Royal Family to both advice in advance, and smooth over/reduce incidents after they happen.

It does make me wonder, does the Royal Family have staff at all, such as a press secretary and/or advisor(s)?

I would agree with you entirely, these links do underline the need for a professional staff around the Royal Family to both advice in advance, and smooth over/reduce incidents after they happen.

It does make me wonder, does the Royal Family have staff at all, such as a press secretary and/or advisor(s)?

Yes,they have the whole team of people working for them...they live semi-official royal lifestyle in Belgrade...they have staff,servants,they live in the castle which is owned still by the state,which means that the state has to pay for up-keeping,not them...They make balls,banquets,dinners...the only difference is that they are not officially heads of state,nor that they are respected that much...

They are much more respected abroad than in their own country...people here generally don't like them much...sometimes with a reason,and also many times without any reason,but just because they don't know how to make proper interaction...

Here are some of them:

These photographs are recent?

Yes,they have the whole team of people working for them...they live semi-official royal lifestyle in Belgrade...they have staff,servants,they live in the castle which is owned still by the state,which means that the state has to pay for up-keeping,not them...They make balls,banquets,dinners...the only difference is that they are not officially heads of state,nor that they are respected that much...

They are much more respected abroad than in their own country...people here generally don't like them much...sometimes with a reason,and also many times without any reason,but just because they don't know how to make proper interaction...

This is the key. To improve their image in their country. Monarchies restores the people, not governments (almost). But in this piece really need considerable help. What to think seeing these photos the children ?

This is the key. To improve their image in their country. Monarchies restores the people, not governments (almost). But in this piece really need considerable help. What to think seeing these photos the children ?

Well,to tell you the truth,there is nothing in these photos that most of young people haven't done...

But,considering what kind of present image of Crown Prince and his wife have in general,it just fueled the fire against them...

Well,to tell you the truth,there is nothing in these photos that most of young people haven't done...

But,considering what kind of present image of Crown Prince and his wife have in general,it just fueled the fire against them...

Yes I agree . But especially for the her Peter disagree. Peter is now 35 years old (and not so young, I mean 20 to 25) will have to start i say again to play a more active role in his country if naturally interested in the monarchy. If not then well done.

It is as you describe the situation that exists in relation to the new generation of royals to almost all Balkan countries. I fear that leaving the old generation of the idea of the monarchy will leave with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I agree . But especially for the her Peter disagree. Peter is now 35 years old (and not so young, I mean 20 to 25) will have to start i say again to play a more active role in his country if naturally interested in the monarchy. If not then well done.

Well,to speak the truth,I don't think they are interested at all...there are several reasons for my belief...

First of all,they were born and raised abroad and were not the first generation of exiled royals to have some sort of connection to the country.

Second,they don't get along so well with the personality of their stepmother and they try to avoid any kind of conflict by being around them in Serbia.(source from the Palace stuff)

Third,because of their mother,they are or will be very rich,so they don't have to make their own cause here,unlike their father,who inherited only one golden watch from his father and has to fight for his rights in Serbia in order to restore at least something his family had.

Fourth,they have to speak Serbian in order to even make some sort of connection with the people here.Serbian people were proud that they had it's own dynasty on the throne,unlike many other countries in the region which were ruled by many German dynasties.People here need to identify with it's leader...and they just can't do it or feel it if one doesn't have anything in common with them and speaks another language.They don't speak Serbian at all,unlike their father and stepmother who try and at least speak,in a funny way though.

Fifth,I think they are now too old to start doing something from the beginning.People were often curved while they are young.Now they have different habits,different kind of life from the one expected of someone who wants seriously to involve in some kind of restoration movement.

Last edited:
And how about the sons of princ Tomislav, where do they live?

These photographs are recent?

The pictures don't look recent, especially the last one. Facebook changed their settings so that even if you set your pictures to private, you must also set separately past posts to private too or eventually they will become public. You also have the issue of pictures you get tagged in too. It was an issue in our recent election with many candidates dropping out because of old posts in twitter, facebook, etc. It looks like someone went through social media to dig up what they could and the royal family should have been more careful all along with social media.

The pictures don't look recent, especially the last one. Facebook changed their settings so that even if you set your pictures to private, you must also set separately past posts to private too or eventually they will become public. You also have the issue of pictures you get tagged in too. It was an issue in our recent election with many candidates dropping out because of old posts in twitter, facebook, etc. It looks like someone went through social media to dig up what they could and the royal family should have been more careful all along with social media.

You could be right...but again,the sons of CP Alexander don't live in Serbia,they are obviously not much interested in keeping the monarchy thing alive,so it's very hard to say to them "behave as you are expected to behave because people in Serbia will say this or that..." while they live abroad,have their own private lives and just want to enjoy life as it is,outside of being royals...

I don't blame them for those photos as I think it's common thing that anyone of us has done such thing at one point,but the media like that kind of pictures and they were presented in an article as spoiled,rich,obese guys who just don't care for anything while we(tax payers) pay for the up-keeping of the palace where their father lives...

Everything is just put out of the context,just to ruin more the shaky image royals here already have and you can't even defend them because they have pictures that prove such twisted and over-sized "facts of life".

And how about the sons of princ Tomislav, where do they live?

He has 3 sons..one lives in Germany(Nikola) as he is separated with his Serbian wife.

While two others(George and Michail) live in London,coming occasionally to Serbia...George has an out of wedlock daughter,named Sara Anastasia,that lives here in Serbia with her mother.

Marc,

Of all the different branches, who amongst the Karadjordjevic family is more "popular" in Serbia?

Marc,

Of all the different branches, who amongst the Karadjordjevic family is more "popular" in Serbia?

Well,people only know the ones who live in Serbia,which means Crown Prince,his wife Catherine and Princess Elizabeth...The rest are totally unknown here.I mean people don't know how many Karadjordjevic family members even have.

Most respected among the ordinary people is Princess Elizabeth who mastered her Serbian over the years,behaves like a Princess and is very down to earth at the same time...Before Elizabeth,the most respected member was Prince Tomislav who also lived his final years in Serbia.

The best Serbian speaking Prince is her brother Prince Alexander,but people don't know about him as he lives in Paris.

But,to say the truth,people in Serbia don't know that much about Karadjordjevic family in general and they don't even bother to know.

Last edited:
:previous: I did know that Princess Elizabeth lives in Serbia. She does not participate in various events? I do not remember to have seen her.

:previous: I did know that Princess Elizabeth lives in Serbia. She does not participate in various events? I do not remember to have seen her.

Not so much in royal/official ones hosted by the CP,but she is often seen in some cocktails and various celebrity gatherings where she is often invited and pictured.

She can be seen anywhere...She goes by herself to the market.I have seen her 3 days ago in the shopping mall with her partner checking out some kitchen stuff.They are almost always together.

Not so much in royal/official ones hosted by the CP,but she is often seen in some cocktails and various celebrity gatherings where she is often invited and pictured.

She can be seen anywhere...She goes by herself to the market.I have seen her 3 days ago in the shopping mall with her partner checking out some kitchen stuff.They are almost always together.

So she is living a quiet private life away from all these things royal. How is the relationship with Alexander and Katherine? (if you have)

Thank you Marc for all this informations. The image I had of Serbian royal family was completely different. When there are conflicts and differences of course this has an impact on their image in the people there. I was surprised a little and Princess Catherine too. Here in Greece often comes because of natural origin, but also because here live her children. There is enough coverage from media here for various events organized to assist organizations in the Serbia. What afraid by other family members and excluding them can not understand.

She wanted her children to get their titles prince, princess? This is ridiculous. Would she like to make her son the next heir maybe? What you need to do is to help and promote as can the children of her husband.

It does not seem so surprising anymore that its relations with the rest of the family is poor. Probably trying to restore the monarchy in the country by promoting just itself ...... okay and perhaps her husband ;)

Yes but sometimes this idiotic rumours(if rumors) succeed in their purpose.

Marc i am curious about something else if of course you know. I know that the young prince Alexander now lives permanently in Serbia and owned a bar. What is the image that exists for this on the people there or about his relationship with the daughter of Emir Kusturica? (He is very popular in my country)

(Everyone here in Royal Forums can have their opinions. You know the things you know and thanks for the sharing with us... so do not care so much about it.)

:previous:Maybe it is gossip of the newspapers. We will see. But if it is true let's watch out. Thanks Marc i'm very interested for Serbian royals and is difficult for me to find news for them . But again from the country which come i have interest general for all Balkan royals.

Last edited by a moderator:
So she is living a quiet private life away from all these things royal. How is the relationship with Alexander and Katherine? (if you have)

She lives quiet life,but what I wanted to say is that she is not very often seen as a guest in the palace...she sees her friends and family around the world still and is very sociable person.

But,from what I have heard,she has a problem with Crown Princess,or rather Crown Princess has a problem with her as she often gets overshadowed whenever Elizabeth is around...So,Elizabeth is never invited if she doesn't have to be invited,if you know what I mean.Few years ago they were not even on speaking terms...

Not to mention that she was denied any sort of room in the royal palace,even if the palace was given to use to the whole Karadjordjevic family.Prince Vladimir has the same problem and talked about it in the newspapaers...

She can't also claim many of the artworks that are still in the palace and belonged to her father...

Last edited:
I was going to ask you about Prince Vladimir as well, Marc.

It seems he and his wife try to be as active in Serbia as possible, though they live in Germany.

Is Vladimir fluent in Serbian? Also, did he not take Crown Prince Alexander to court last year on account of being denied access to the Royal Palace compound? If so, what became of that action?

I was going to ask you about Prince Vladimir as well, Marc.

It seems he and his wife try to be as active in Serbia as possible, though they live in Germany.

Is Vladimir fluent in Serbian? Also, did he not take Crown Prince Alexander to court last year on account of being denied access to the Royal Palace compound? If so, what became of that action?

Unfortunately,Prince Vladimir isn't fluent in Serbian at all,though he and his wife really and honestly try to be active everywhere as much as possible...

But,he doesn't live here and therefor his actions are not much covered in press as many people don't know exactly who he is,except that he is Karadjordjevic,if they read family name in an article...

Obviously,nothing came out of court action,if there was one in the end...Many members of Karadjordjevic family are angry because of his behavior towards them,but on the other side,he is the Head of the family,so...

Just don't know,the family is not united at all...I have a feeling that ordinary people in Romania respect their royal family more than Serbian people here in Serbia.Maybe I am wrong but that's my feeling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom