Royals at the Commemoration of the 80th anniversary of D-Day: June 6, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

This is the thread dedicated to members of royal families attending the commemoration
of the 80th anniversary of D-Day in the Normandy, France, on June 6, 2024.

The official international ceremony will take place on Omaha Beach.
Many heads of state, veterans and officials will also commemorate the anniversary.

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

Query if King Charles will travel for the event, or if he will be represented by Queen Camilla and the Prince of Wales?

Query if King Charles will travel for the event, or if he will be represented by Queen Camilla and the Prince of Wales?
I guess it will be The Queen if The King is advised to not go…

Princess Anne may also go in capacity of President of the Commonwealth Wargraves Commission.

According to historian Trond Norén Isaksen, it is planned that Crown Prince Haakon will represent King Harald at the 80:th anniversary of the D-Day.

I guess it will be The Queen if The King is advised to not go…

Princess Anne may also go in capacity of President of the Commonwealth Wargraves Commission.

According to historian Trond Norén Isaksen, it is planned that Crown Prince Haakon will represent King Harald at the 80:th anniversary of the D-Day.
I believe the Prince of Wales will represent the UK. I don't see the Queen attending if the King is unable to be there.

As the Royal British Legion is hosting a Setvice of Remembrance at the National Memorial Arboretum on 6 June as well, it may well be that the BRF will attend both events, and that we will see some members there and some members in France.

So far confirmed to attend are:

- King Frederik

- King Philippe and Queen Mathilde, source
Yes, the event has been added to the official calendar for King Frederik to attend. Wonderful that he will be attending. And great to see that the King and Queen of the Belgians as well. I assume that as heir, and given the new restrictions for King Harald, Crown Prince Haakon will attend on behalf of the Norwegian RF (and he's been handling all the constitutional duties while his father has been out on sick leave.)

Today the attendance of King Charles and Queen Camilla together with the Prince of Wales was confirmed.

** Press release **

Today the attendance of King Charles and Queen Camilla together with the Prince of Wales was confirmed.

** Press release **
I'm not exactly sure what the main event is -according to the Belgians it's on Omaha Beach followed by a reception by the French President- and if any of them is attending. It seems the British royals are attending their own events instead.

On June 5th:
- Charles, Camilla and William will attend the UK's national commemorative event in Portsmouth.
- Anne and Timothy will attend various events in Normandy.

On June 6th:
- Charles and Camilla will attend a British event in Ver-sur-mer (Normandy, France)
- William will attend a Canadian event at Juno Beach Centre, Courselles-sur-mer (Normandy, France)

Ver-sur-mer is about 30 km to the east from the Omaha Beach Memorial (in Saint-Laurent-sur-mer) and Courselles-sur-mer is about 37 km to the east (7 km from Ver-sur-mer).

So, there was a second page to the announcement :)

Good to see that William will stick around for the international commemorative ceremony as well!

And the other senior working members (D&D of Edinburgh and D&D of Gloucester) also play their part on the 6th.

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will attend as well:

Crown Prince Haakon will represent the Royal House of Norway:

06.06.2024 D-dagen

H.K.H. Kronprinsen er til stede ved 80-årsmarkeringer av landgangen i Normandie (Hermanville-sur-Mer og Omaha Beach)

There seem to be a lot of different events. There's a big firework display in Normandy the weekend before, then there are official ceremonies on the 5th, 6th and 7th, plus lots of smaller events. Numbers at the main official events will be limited, so there needs to be provision for other veterans and their families/friends, plus anyone else wanting to attend. It's good to see that so many royals will be attending.

There seem to be a lot of different events. There's a big firework display in Normandy the weekend before, then there are official ceremonies on the 5th, 6th and 7th, plus lots of smaller events. Numbers at the main official events will be limited, so there needs to be provision for other veterans and their families/friends, plus anyone else wanting to attend. It's good to see that so many royals will be attending.
Are there still any living veterans of this particular operation? 80 years later, I would imagine that it must be very few as not that many people (especially men) live to be 100 years old or close to that.

Last edited:
Any information from Luxembourg or Monaco?

Last edited:
Any information from Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain or Sweden?
King Philippe and Queen Mathilde were among the first few to confirm attendance. I also expect grand duke Henri (probably with Maria Teresa as she seems a bit more active recently).

Sweden and Spain were (at least officially) neutral, so there is little reason for them to attend as the Normandy landing did not contribute to their liberation nor did they participate in the landing itself/the liberation of Nazi-occupied Europe. In practice, Spain retained close ties to Germany and Italy, while Sweden sheltered many people from both Finland and Norway and saved the lives of Jews from various countries - while the Swedish government maintained economic ties with Germany.

Edited for clarification (thanks to Prinsara's comment below).

Last edited:
In practice, Spain retained close ties to Germany and Italy, while Sweden sheltered many people from both Finland and Norway and in that way saved the lives of many Jews

I am not sure how this sentence was meant to be phrased, but the number of Jewish refugees in Sweden from Finland or Norway was very small (in part due to those countries having very small Jewish populations to begin with). Sweden took the Danish-Jewish evacuees as well as Jews from other European countries. Spain and the Franco government were quite anti-Semitic yet saved a number of Jewish lives in both refuge and transit.

The Prince of Wales at the UK's national commemorative event for the 80th anniversary of D-Day, hosted by the Ministry of Defence on Southsea Common in Portsmouth today, June 5:

** gettyimages gallery ** gtresnews gallery **

And King Charles and Queen Camilla at the commemorative event in Portsmouth today:

** gettyimages mixed gallery **

Princess Anne as Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Regina Rifles unveiled a statue of a Second World War Canadian Royal Regina Rifleman during a reception with members of the regiment to mark the 80th anniversary of D-Day, at Place des Canadiens in Bretteville-l'Orgueilleuse, Normandy today:

** gettyimages gallery **

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde were among the first few to confirm attendance. I also expect grand duke Henri (probably with Maria Teresa as she seems a bit more active recently).

Sweden and Spain were (at least officially) neutral, so there is little reason for them to attend as the Normandy landing did not contribute to their liberation nor did they participate in the landing itself/the liberation of Nazi-occupied Europe. In practice, Spain retained close ties to Germany and Italy, while Sweden sheltered many people from both Finland and Norway and saved the lives of Jews from various countries - while the Swedish government maintained economic ties with Germany.

Edited for clarification (thanks to Prinsara's comment below).

The Swedish government also allowed Nazi troops to cross the country during the invasion of Norway and again during the invasion of the Soviet Union.

The Prince of Wales at the UK's national commemorative event for the 80th anniversary of D-Day, hosted by the Ministry of Defence on Southsea Common in Portsmouth today, June 5:

** gettyimages gallery ** gtresnews gallery **
I can't see it very well, but it appears that the Prince of Wales is now wearing the insignia of the Order of the Bath in his new appointed position of Great Master of that order.

Buckingham Palace has announced that King Charles and Queen Camilla will postpone engagements 'which may appear to divert attention or distract from the election campaign'.

This in response to Prime Minister Rishi Sunak announcing a General Election for July 4.

The article claims major events such as Trooping of the Colour, Royal Ascot and the Japanese State Visit could be affected, but full details of postponements and rearrangements have not yet been released.

Mods, if this is in the wrong thread, feel free to move it - I wasn't sure what the best 'home' was :)

Are there still any living veterans of this particular operation? 80 years later, I would imagine that it must be very few as not that many people (especially men) live to be 100 years old or close to that.
Yes, there are quite a few - all are in their late 90s or over 100, but a surprising number of them have been able to make the trip to France. God bless them!

Live:

More photos:

The crown on Charles' badge looks differently than previous ones for the order of merit; probably this reflects a different crown? Or he has a special one as he is the king?

Back
Top Bottom