Royals Murdered

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This story is so tragic and sad...another 24 hours would have saved Princesse Francoise!:sad:

There is some conflicting evidence according to modern study of bone and hair analysis Anastasia Romanovna, first wife of Ivan the terrible and the one who was keeping him somewhat sane, was poisoned with mercury. He went off his nut after that, believing she was.

He later beat his Ivan,his eldest son and heir by her, to death.

This story is so tragic and sad...another 24 hours would have saved Princesse Francoise!:sad:

I have to admit Princess Francoise is one that I never knew much about but would like to read more.

Bona Sforza was a princess from Milan in Italy. Her daughter, Katarina Jagellonica, was married to Johan III of Sweden and became the queen of Sweden, and Katarina's son Sigismund became the king of Sweden and Poland (but he would later lose Sweden to his uncle, Carl IX). I had no idea that Bona Sforza was murdered though..

I'd like to read & learn more about Bona and her children,they led some very interesting and dangerous lives!

That would be euthanasia rather than murder though...

Most jurisdictions do not recognize euthanasia, even today, however. Certainly Britain did not in 1936. Even today, in those places that recognize euthanasia as a non-criminal practice, you need to follow very stringent fail-safes - patient's consent in writing, conferral with more than one doctor, other family members.

Speaking on purely legal grounds, he was murdered, as that was most likely defined in Britain in 1936.

Now do I have any moral outrage for what this doctor did? No. He put a man who had at most hours or days out of his misery. I applaud it, actually. However, it was "murder." He could very well have been tried and convicted if anyone knew.

Ah, apparently this is the unfortunate Maria on which the folk tale of Genevieve of Brabant is based. A character later used by Proust as a legendary anscestor of the Guermantes family.

Last edited:
What a delightful spouse poor Maria had murdering his wife and members of the household .I must look up Genevieve of Brabant as I'd never hear of her before and especially if she's based on the unfortunate Maria.

:previous:

Or even better: you can visit the opera 'Genevieve de Brabant' of Carl Offenbach. Erik Satie put her story on music too.

Anyway, you can find the story here:

Genevieve of Brabant - Encyclopedia

And the relevant part:

Her story is said to rest on the history of Marie of Brabant, wife of Louis II., duke of Bavaria, and count-palatine of the Rhine, who was tried by her husband and beheaded on the 18th of January 1256, for supposed infidelity, a crime for which Louis afterwards had to do penance. The change in name may have been due to the cult of St Genevieve, patroness of Paris.

Thanks yes I watched snipets of the Geneviève de Brabant opera on youtube earlier as the legend caught my interest.

The Empress Myeongseong was murdered in a gruesome manner on the
8th of October 1895 by a group of Japanese assassins at the Gyeongbokgung.

https://www.historychannel.com.au/this-day-in-history/koreas-queen-min-killed-by-japanese-assassins/

The Japanese occupation of Korea is filled, unfortunately, with some truly horrendous acts, and the murder of Queen Min was especially egregious. She was seen by the occupiers, correctly, as a strong influence on King Gojong, and her removal was orchestrated and brutally carried out by 56 Japanese conspirators. She is a fascinating person in her own right.

ON a lighter note, if Joseon history interests you, there are some very good K-dramas that deal with this time period, including the more recent Mr. Sunshine, and A Gunman in Joseon.

The Japanese occupation during the Meiji era partially explains why Japan and South Korea still have such a complicated and tense relationship now even though in many ways their larger national interests in the region still have a lot of similarities.

And if we are talking about gruesome Joseon murders, let's not forget the murder/execution of Crown Prince Sado by his father, King Yeongjo, which was done by confining Sado to a rice chest for 8 days, when he finally died. His wife's account of her husband's madness, erratic actions, and the execution/murder is still available online, The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyeong, if you are interested. There are many, many available articles that describe the events, and it has been the subject of numerous novels, movies, and K-drama's, including The Red Queen, by Margaret Drabble, and the recent The Throne with Yoo Ah In and Moon Geun Young (who coincidentally was in Empress Myeongseong as a child actress.

Look here for a brief overview of Sado's life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Prince_Sado

Crown Prince Sado sounded like a nasty individual killing eunuchs and beating /raping ladies of the court.

Crown Prince Sado sounded like a nasty individual killing eunuchs and beating /raping ladies of the court.

I think these days we would assume that his extremely difficult relationship with his father had had a profound effect on his mental health, which of course in no way excuses any of his actions, but does provide some context. His son certainly felt that his father had been unjustly treated by Sado's father, which is also an interesting data point.

It was rumoured that Gaston of Foix-Bearn was murdered by his father Gaston III of Foix-Béarn.

:previous: Do you believe that King Charles III of Navarre actually gave the poison to young Gaston?

It was rumoured that Gaston of Foix-Bearn was murdered by his father Gaston III of Foix-Béarn.

Gaston the younger was in prison at the time, on suspicion of trying to poison his own father. His son was believed to have got the poison from Charles II of Navarre who did have a reputation for poisoning people.

Do you believe that King Charles III of Navarre actually gave the poison to young Gaston?

It was Charles II, not his son Charles III, who was suspected of providing the poison.

Charles II of Navarre was Gaston the younger's maternal Uncle. Gaston III had married Agnes of Navarre, Charles' younger sister.

Charles certainly had a history that wouldn't make it too unthinkable he may have provided his nephew the poison.

Last edited:
Gaston III also seems to abandoned his wife Agnes of Navarre,perhaps he felt she has a role in the poison plot?

Gaston III also seems to abandoned his wife Agnes of Navarre,perhaps he felt she has a role in the poison plot?

Possibly. They had been separated for many years before the plot.

Her dowry was not paid in full, and her mother Jeanne of Navarre died before it was. Later Charles agreed to pay the ransom on a prisoner that Gaston held. Gaston and Agnes argued about whether her brother would pay it or not. He sent her to her brother to get the ransom money, allowing her only to take her clothes. Her brother refused to pay the ransom, and Agnes remained with his court, not returning to her husband.

She left her husband and son when Gaston was only an infant, in 1362. She never returned. She spent some time with her sister Blanche, who was queen of France, but spent most of the remainder of her life in Pamplona.

Gaston the younger visited his mother in Pamplona. It was believed when Charles provided his nephew with the poison. Gaston III was told about it by his son Yvain, and imprisoned his heir and later killed him.

There was very good cause for Charles II of Navarre to be known as Charles the Bad ;)

Death of Queen Elizabeth of Bosnia in the Novi Grad Castle in front of her daughter Mary of Anjou, deposed Queen of Hungary:

Back
Top Bottom