The Duchess of Sussex's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally, Dress # 2 is exactly what she should have with a print that seems similar to the one used by the other ladies around her. She does look nice on this print but that's way too much skin to show and doesn't see to take into consideration the ladies around her.

Their clothes look great but also have respect for the country's religious dress style for modesty. Is like Meghan is saying "Modesty? I don't know her." I hope her next stop is not at the Vatican

Last edited:
I love Dress 2 as well. I even like the shades which is unusual for me! It’s original and well fitted, and also chic.

Also, Meghan wore a red dress by a Nigerian designer for this event.

Last edited:
I generally do not post on this thread, although I do regularly read it. I just want to say that Nigeria is a VERY conservative country (Islam, Catholicism, and conservative Anglicanism are the dominant faiths), with both men and women expected to dress modestly, i.e., little to no bare skin below the neck with sleeves at or below the elbows. This is published in every traveler's guide to the country. It's not like the Duchess was expected to wear a hijab, but it is just plain good manners to at least make an attempt to follow such a basic rule regarding attire when visiting another country. These three outfits are worse than wearing a floor-length white lace dress to someone else's wedding and show no respect for local customs and sensibilities.

Finally, Dress # 2 is exactly what she should have with a print that seems similar to the one used by the other ladies around her. She does look nice on this print but that's way too much skin to show and doesn't see to take into consideration the ladies around her.

Their clothes look great but also have respect for the country's religious dress style for modesty. Is like Meghan is saying "Modesty? I don't know her." I hope her next stop is not at the Vatican

This just made me laugh about Meghan visiting the Vatican next. Lol I mean….yeah. Meghan almost never ever gets her attire right.

If the fit and tailoring isn’t wrong, then her attire for the occasion is wrong. Or the outfit just doesn’t suit her. I don’t get it. But that’s usually how it goes. Not surprisingly- this is no exception. Par for the course.

The long red dress with the spaghetti straps had some nice qualities. I read that it is from a Nigerian designer.

The color is great on Meghan. She glows in red. The flouncy hemline was fun and festive. I just wish more attention was paid to way it fit her in the waist and hips area.

Finally some splash of color from Meghan! The red dress is a small improvement and it looks nice on her but I wonder- surely as it's inside event some air conditioning was provided -so why uncovered arms and chest?
Small plus for a bun- finally not stringy, unkempt hair!

Totally ignorant about fashion.
However, a relative of mine told me about the appropriate day to day dress code in Africa south of Sahara that he and other employees of his company were advised to adhere to when visiting Africa, - Uganda and Kenya in this case:
Men: Long pants and shirts. Period! Shoes too, sometimes sandals can be accepted though.
Shorts and T-shirts are for private settings, physical work and excursions into the countryside.
Women: Cover your torso at all times and most of your legs as well. Woman are more allowed to wear open shoes/sandals though. - Wearing anything less is for the pool or in a private setting.

I know that Nigeria is not east Africa but the countries share a number of major similarities: Considerable urban centers, a similar religious mix of Muslims, Christians and local religions, a very considerable Western influence and they were all three British colonies.
Also, while Africa is a huge continent with a myriad of different cultures where you can even find topless women walking around, the dress code outside the villages is pretty universal though. Hence the general guidelines my relative was given.

I have just realised the white dress was a lunch event, I think outside but I could be wrong on that part. I thought it was an evening event.

Well, if you are in doubt as to whether you are committing a dress code faux pas, look at how everybody else around you are dressed...
And according to my untrained eye, Meghan appears to be showing quite a bit more skin than the other women around her.

Very strange wardrobe. The two dresses yesterday were so bare, ok in LA but that’s about it. Everyone else is covered up. Only today with the long skirt and white shirt seemed ok. Maybe she finally came out of her bubble

The Duchess of Sussex wore her yellow Carolina Herrera dress again today:

** Full view ** Upper part **

And a skirt she was presented with:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
I do like this yellow dress and she is more appropriate in it than the others. It sounds like they gave her a skirt, as in “this is the kind of garments we wear.” ?

I am blown away that their advisors/PR people didn’t give them more information about appropriate dress in Nigeria. But maybe someone did…..

I like this yellow dress very much, but then I do like it when she wears colours. Yellow suits her skin tones and she looks fabulous.
Not so keen on the skirt she was apparently presented with but at least she wore it, which was good.

The only outfit I really liked was the red dress. It was fabulous, great color and I liked how it was made. But like the backless, flesh-colored dress, it seemed more appropriate for a party.

I am blown away that their advisors/PR people didn’t give them more information about appropriate dress in Nigeria. But maybe someone did…..
Quite right, I am sure they had the advice. But Meghan may have chosen to ignore that advice (unlikely to have been the first time!!)

The Duchess of Sussex wore her yellow Carolina Herrera dress again today:

** Full view ** Upper part **

And a skirt she was presented with:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
IMO, the yellow dress is probably the "least worst" of all the outfits she wore on this trip. But it could certainly have benefitted from some shape and tailoring.

It needs an iron, why is it with all the money, staff, designers etc Meghan always manages to not quite pull it off.
I agree and the second outfit was not more better and more suited to a summers holiday!

Back
Top Bottom