The Princess of Asturias 18th Birthday: 31 Oct. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sofía has not attended state events (National Day, opening of Parliament, state visits) since Felipe's proclamation, so in that sense her absence is not surprising. She could be among the guests as a grandmother, but with that Juan Carlos's protests would return, and the politicians do not want him there (especially at this time when the formation of a government is being negotiated).

I thin k th epolitican should stand over it and allow both Juan Carlos and Sofia to be present, not at the Main stadium but in the audience like Sofia was when Felipe took the oath.

What would they do when Juan Carlos suddenly passes away? Bury him in a private ceremony without a proper funeral for a former King

I thin k th epolitican should stand over it and allow both Juan Carlos and Sofia to be present, not at the Main stadium but in the audience like Sofia was when Felipe took the oath.

What would they do when Juan Carlos suddenly passes away? Bury him in a private ceremony without a proper funeral for a former King

Spain has no government, the current government is in office and Sánchez is trying to form a government with a group of republicans, nationalists and independence supporters, including the Catalans who demand an amnesty for all the crimes they committed. These groups constantly use the Crown as a political weapon to defend their interests and are not even going to attend the events.

In this situation, which looked quite difficult for the Monarchy, what the Borbones should do is be quiet and stand aside, because they have already left the situation difficult enough for Felipe who has had to deal with all of his family's garbage and its consequences.

Juan Carlos is egocentric and is surrounded by a toxic environment. Instead of acting with humility, assuming his mistakes and being discreet, he puts on a circus every time he travels to Spain and all of this wears out the Crown unnecessarily. At the time the Count of Barcelona had to keep his pride, renounce his rights and occupy a secondary position for the good of the institution, Juan Carlos is not demonstrating the dignity of his father. His father was dismissed with royal honors and respected by everyone.

The Princess of Asturias, with her sweet beauty and sense of responsibility, is gaining popular affection and the events in which she stars have audiences on television that the Royal Family has not seen for years. The family's obligation was to accept the political situation, bow their heads and accompany Leonor with dignity... that would have been a point in their favor and they would have won points in the eyes of public opinion. But once again, some are wanting to boycott everything because they crave prominence, and in the eyes of public opinion they are going to fall even more because people will not forgive them for spoiling Leonor's day.

It is unfortunate that Queen Sofia won't be there but entirely understandable. Her husband's actions have caught up with him, and by association, with her as well. JC is a complicated figure, he has done a lot for Spain and the Crown, but he has done a lot to damage them as well. Felipe VI and Letizia have done a sensational job since assuming the throne and Leonor appears to be following in their footsteps with the same sense of duty. The monarchy, like the Kingdom of Spain, is always playing a difficult balancing act.

'Informe Semanal', offers this Saturday a special monograph in which the institutional role of Leonor de Borbón will be analyzed after swearing in the Constitution, on Tuesday, October 31, the day she turns 18. The program will also offer the testimony of young people from the Princess's generation, to find out what they are like and what her concerns are.
https://www.rtve.es/play/videos/informe-semanal/camino-reina/6999904/

Madrid, capital of Spain, in its streets the image and shield of the Princess of Asturias to commemorate her Oath in of the Constitution.

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...-decoracion-jura-constitucion-leonor_3764223/

The book of the Constitution on oath the Princess of Asturias will swear

Last edited by a moderator:
Decoration in the streets of central Madrid

The Community of Madrid will approve on Tuesday granting Princess Leonor the Gold Medal of the Community of Madrid.

On Tuesday they will install screens at the regional government headquarters in Puerta del Sol and distribute special sweets with the colors of the national flag, made by the Association of Artisan Entrepreneurs of the Pastry Sector of Madrid.

The Association of Centennial Restaurants and Taverns has also prepared a special appetizer for this day.

https://www.abc.es/espana/madrid/ay...unidad-madrid-princesa-20231029103408-nt.html

After the oath, the Princess will receive the medals of the Congress and the Senate.

http://protocoloalavista.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/medalla-secretaria-msa.jpg
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlJvOY-X4AAsyZq.jpg

Last edited:
On the Oath of the Heir to the Crown before the Cortes Generales

https://blog.congreso.es/juramento-de-la-princesa-leonor-para-la-jura-de-la-constitucion/

https://blog-congreso-es.translate...._sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=es&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Tomorrow, on the occasion of the swearing-in of the Spanish Constitution by Her Royal Highness the Princess of Asturias before the Cortes Generales, the bells of all the Royal Sites will ring

The Cathedral of Oviedo and the Basilica of Covadonga will ring the bells this Tuesday at 12 after Leonor's swearing-in

https://www.cope.es/religion/hoy-en...-martes-las-ante-jura-leonor-20231030_2975101

The Ministry of Defense and other representative buildings of the Armed Forces will be decorated this Tuesday on the occasion of Princess Leonor's oath to the Constitution for her coming of age.

https://www.cope.es/actualidad/noti...resentativos-por-jura-leonor-20231030_2975503

Last edited:

There is Leonormania in Spain. For the majority of the population, the monarchy is not something we worry or even talk about much. We have diverse political opinions in all autonomous regions if we want to continue with the monarchy or eventually go for a republic. Leonor seems to be unifying even the old republican recalcitrants.

I had a good laugh a few weeks ago with the mother of a good friend. She a 82 yo.republican, who hates the monarchy and all politicians. Chatting with her after Leonors swearing of the flag, she said something like "She is lovely, she'll be a good queen". Pressed by us why she made the comment, she got cranky and simply said "you can see it in her face. She'll be good".

We just smiled but it was quite a compliment coming from her. :D

I am wondering when casareal comes up with new official pictures of Leonor, in the ones they got she looks like a child.
Like other monarchies, they should come up with the dynastic picture, Felipe and his daughter. In earlier days they had a picture with father and grandfather (three generations, one compromise) but that ship has sailed.

I agree! The city of Madrid released an official photo perhaps there is more where that came from.

Despite the disappointing lack of gala's for jewelry lovers, this is probably the biggest coming of age event out of any of the royal houses, perhaps CP Fredericks is the closest match.

Rumours that Leonor might arrive in a convertible after a short parade. I would faint if it happens, my poor monarchist heart! :w00t::w00t:

Rumours that Leonor might arrive in a convertible after a short parade. I would faint if it happens, my poor monarchist heart! :w00t::w00t:

According to some press reports, that was the initial idea, but after the increase in security alerts due to the crisis in the Middle East and the attacks in Brussels and Paris, this may not be the case. Already at the Princess of Asturias Awards there was a clear increase in security compared to previous years.

Preparations and decoration in the Congress and the Royal Palace

http://www.instagram.com/p/CzB4VuxtoOE/

Last edited:
According to some press reports, that was the initial idea, but after the increase in security alerts due to the crisis in the Middle East and the attacks in Brussels and Paris, this may not be the case. Already at the Princess of Asturias Awards there was a clear increase in security compared to previous years.

Preparations and decoration in the Congress and the Royal Palace

http://www.instagram.com/p/CzB4VuxtoOE/

Will the Royal Family appear on the balcony of the Royal Palace?

Will the Royal Family appear on the balcony of the Royal Palace?

No, there is no planned appearance on the balcony... in Spain there is no tradition and it is something that is done very exceptionally.

Despite the disappointing lack of gala's for jewelry lovers, this is probably the biggest coming of age event out of any of the royal houses, perhaps CP Fredericks is the closest match.

That one of CP Victoria was also quiet a big Event and the one of CP Haakon with 2 Galas.

No, there is no planned appearance on the balcony... in Spain there is no tradition and it is something that is done very exceptionally.
I think that is a Pity as that is where also normal people could see the Family very good.

I think that is a Pity as that is where also normal people could see the Family very good.

Yes, it's a shame that the family doesn't appear on the porch. The family appeared on the balcony at the proclamation of Felipe VI in 2014 and at the wedding of Felipe and Letizia in 2004.

It is true that Spain does not have this tradition, and the Royal Family does not often appear on the balcony of the Royal Palace.

That one of CP Victoria was also quiet a big Event and the one of CP Haakon with 2 Galas.

I agree both were very grand. Even Ingrid Alexandra's was quite something, with her tiara debut. I assume we will not see a picture of Leonor in a tiara just yet. (I hope I'm wrong, but I think it will be military uniform only).

For me, Leonor's big day tomorrow does feel so different from other heirs' coming-of-ages for a few reasons. The enormous pressure she is under; the relative amount of privacy she has been afforded as a minor; the strict educational path she is now on; and the formality of her oath and where she will take it; all contribute to this (as is just my humble opinion) feeling that we will witness a major moment for Leanor and the Spanish monarchy tomorrow, more on par emotionally with an investiture than say a birthday ball for a future king or queen.

I don't view my opinion of tomorrow as a detriment to any of Leanor's royal peers, or their coming-of-age celebrations. What is expected of a Spanish heir to the throne is always going to be very different from a Dutch heir or a Danish heir.

For me, Leonor's big day tomorrow does feel so different from other heirs' coming-of-ages for a few reasons. The enormous pressure she is under; the relative amount of privacy she has been afforded as a minor; the strict educational path she is now on; and the formality of her oath and where she will take it; all contribute to this (as is just my humble opinion) feeling that we will witness a major moment for Leanor and the Spanish monarchy tomorrow, more on par emotionally with an investiture than say a birthday ball for a future king or queen.

Exactly, this is not a birthday party... this is a constitutional act that the Princess of Asturias must comply with by law.

ART. 61

​The King, on being proclaimed before the Cortes Generales, shall take oath to discharge his duties faithfully, to abide by the Constitution and the law and ensure that they are abided by, and to respect the rights of citizens and the Autonomous Communities.

The Crown Prince, on coming of age, and the Regent or Regents, on assuming office, shall take the same oath, as well as that of loyalty to the King.

In medieval times, the Cortes proclaimed the king or heir and swore allegiance to him. Since the 19th century with parliamentary monarchies, the Cortes proclaim the king, but the king must swear to comply with the laws before them, which are the representation of the popular will, in an act of historical continuity of connection between the Crown and the citizens represented in Parliament.

Last edited:
What is expected of a Spanish heir to the throne is always going to be very different from a Dutch heir or a Danish heir.

There is not much basis for comparison, though: there is really only Juan Carlos, Felipe and Leonor for any practical sense, and JC had to do... the opposite of this. So only Felipe.

Leonor is constitutionally obliged to do this but I think she will eventually start carving her own path, and what a "Spanish heir" looks like may be quite different in the future.

I guess I just believe each European country has their own centuries of unique culture and traditions. To me, I would be quite surprised to see all European monarchies having the same traditions and expectations in 50 years. It would make me quite sad, actually. Each royal family should reflect the culture it represents. For example, I wouldn’t expect Ingrid -Alexandra to undergo the type of military training that Leonor is, and I don’t think there is pressure by I-A’s country men and women to do so.

Royal watching is so interesting because it exposes so much about the different cultures and histories of each monarchy and country. If they all did the same, it would lose a lot of its draw for me.

I also do not believe that Leonor isn’t fully on board with her current educational path, though it is a copy of what her father did. As evident to those of us that served with people that joined out of family tradition, you can’t force someone to take it seriously, or force them to prepare physically and mentally. Even if her father highly recommended she join the military, she obviously chose to give it 100%. I think some people in the world may short change Leonor as a wall flower being led, when the evidence points to a determined young woman who is already taking charge of her own destiny.

What time is the swearing in? And will she be wearing her uniform

The bells of the Holy Church Cathedral of Oviedo and the Basilica of the Sanctuary of Covadonga will ring at 12:00 this Tuesday, as reported by the Archbishopric in a press release. The Archbishop, Jesús Sanz Montes, has invited the parishes, religious houses and monasteries of the Diocese of Oviedo to, according to their possibilities, ring the bells at that same time, just as was done throughout the Diocese when Leonor's father, King Felipe VI, swore, as Prince of Asturias, the Spanish Constitution.

https://migijon.com/las-campanas-de...icaran-por-la-jura-de-constitucion-de-leonor/

Back
Top Bottom