The Princess of Wales Jewels 1: September 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Other than "token" pieces, all of the royal jewels would have been inherited by The King as Sovereign-to Sovereign inheritance is not subject to death taxes. Of course, this family's "token" pieces will be exquisite...
This is a bit tacky because the Queen isn't even buried yet; Queen Mary's jewellery went all over and I always presumed the same would happen to the Queen's enormous collection.
Queen Mary's dabbling almost destroyed the private collection, a collection that went back hundreds of years. Giving away items means they vanish from public view and we are all the lesser for it.

These days there are far fewer reasons for people to wear historic jewellery and more than one irreplaceable piece has been reduced to the sum of its parts for cold hard cash. One only has to think of the Poltimore tiara and while it was a significant piece, it was of no historical provenance and the heirs had to sell it and many other "tokens of affection" if not beauty to cover death duties.

Had the late Queen left anything to Catherine, it would be subject to death duties and if she in turn gives it to Charlotte or one of her future daughters-in-law, we won't see it again. The way around it is loans, some for an occasion such as Catherine wearing the Halo tiara for her wedding, a diamond maple leaf and fern to wear on an official tour to a commonwealth country. But they went back to the vault.

When it comes to the late Queen's private collection they almost certainly were left to King Charles in a direct monarch-to-monarch transfer to retain the collection. Of course, it is possible that loans such as the pearl choker and earrings are lifetime loans.

Catherine's necklace is said to have been a "gift" from the Queen, not a bequest or an inheritance.
I saw it confirmed that it was from the late Queen's collection, but nothing about it being a personal gift.

If she was intent on wearing that necklace, a [substantial] brooch would have been too much IMO.
I agree. It would have looked overdone and screamed "look at me" instead of "how lovely she is honouring HM".

Before the provenance is lost in the mist of time, I would love it if Angela Kelly were to do a definitive book on the provenance of the Queens pieces, along with good photo's.

The Queen Mother had quite a few long strands pearls that we see her photographed wearing in the 1920s and 1930s. Perhaps this 3 strand pearl necklace was once hers.
The Queen Mary 3 strand pearl necklace went to Camilla and she has worn it often.

I am very excited to see what our new Princess of Wales will wear in the future.
As am I.

Before the provenance is lost in the mist of time, I would love it if Angela Kelly were to do a definitive book on the provenance of the Queens pieces, along with good photo's.

The Queen Mother had quite a few long strands pearls that we see her photographed wearing in the 1920s and 1930s. Perhaps this 3 strand pearl necklace was once hers.
The Queen Mary 3 strand pearl necklace went to Camilla and she has worn it often.

I am very excited to see what our new Princess of Wales will wear in the future.
Isn't Angela Kelly now jobless? I assume Camilla has her own dressers.

I don’t think we know that for sure. They all had six month contracts after the Queen died so she may be assisting with the transition or she may be kept on due to her knowledge of the jewel collection. We’ll see.

She lives at Windsor though, so maybe she’ll do some work for the Princess of Wales.

Maybe she will keeep her Job for the time to sort out the gowns and robes of the late Queen and help to archive them.

Had the late Queen left anything to Catherine, it would be subject to death duties and if she in turn gives it to Charlotte or one of her future daughters-in-law, we won't see it again. The way around it is loans, some for an occasion such as Catherine wearing the Halo tiara for her wedding, a diamond maple leaf and fern to wear on an official tour to a commonwealth country. But they went back to the vault.

I think it would have been possible if Queen Elizabeth II. to leave everything to Charles with Instructions to make gifts to Louise, Beatrice, Eugenie etc. I think a gift is tax free if the giver lives for a certain number of years after the gifting.

This could have been done for smaller not so historic pieces like brooches, a pearl necklace, earrings etc..

I don’t think we know that for sure. They all had six month contracts after the Queen died so she may be assisting with the transition or she may be kept on due to her knowledge of the jewel collection. We’ll see.

She lives at Windsor though, so maybe she’ll do some work for the Princess of Wales.
Maybe she will keeep her Job for the time to sort out the gowns and robes of the late Queen and help to archive them.
I really hope so. I immensely enjoyed reading her book.

Much as I would love to see it, I can't see any advantage to the King and Queen from publishing such a book, or releasing such information into the public domain.

Last edited:
I thought it's the triple diamonds bar but from the close-up photo from DF the details seem different.

Diana's pearl earrings seems too fancy for the occasion. I wish she wore the Bahrain earrings instead.

I don’t think these earrings sit well on her ear lobes. Have to agree they aren’t a good choice for the occasion.

At the Cenotaph this morning on Remembrance Sunday, the Princess is wearing a brooch not previously worn by her. Haven't had a good enough look to see if it was previously in QE2's collection.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...s-look-sombre-Remembrance-Sunday-service.html

She is also wearing Diana's diamond and pearl earrings.
Sarah Williams from UFO No More have found more information about the brooch. It was listed for sale at the jeweller Bentley and Skinner in January of 2022 for £14.500.

https://ufonomore.com/recently-added/bentley-skinner-art-deco-diamond-set-brooch

Last edited:
That’s lovely. I wonder where she got it from- it seems like the kind of thing King Charles might have chosen as a gift.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought the BRF needed any more brooches but I guess they do go through a lot!

That’s lovely. I wonder where she got it from- it seems like the kind of thing King Charles might have chosen as a gift.

It does indeed.

Or, perhaps it's a gift from her parents?

It does indeed.

Or, perhaps it's a gift from her parents?

That would make sense. Apparently it was for sale in January and that’s when her 40th birthday was. A nice piece of personal jewelry would have been a good way to mark the occasion.

I hope we find out one day.

I thought it's the triple diamonds bar but from the close-up photo from DF the details seem different.

Diana's pearl earrings seems too fancy for the occasion. I wish she wore the Bahrain earrings instead.

I don’t think these earrings sit well on her ear lobes. Have to agree they aren’t a good choice for the occasion.

Sarah Williams from UFO No More have found more information about the brooch. It was listed for sale at the jeweller Bentley and Skinner in January of 2022 for £14.500.

https://ufonomore.com/recently-added/bentley-skinner-art-deco-diamond-set-brooch
Unfortunately the earrings were just too much. As Elly noted, they didn't sit well on the earlobes and were just plain too much for daywear. They are definitely "after 5" jewels.

I think the new art deco brooch is beautiful and I think she is a very lucky lady to receive such a beautiful gift.

That would make sense. Apparently it was for sale in January and that’s when her 40th birthday was. A nice piece of personal jewelry would have been a good way to mark the occasion.

I hope we find out one day.

I would love to believe the brooch was listed for sale in January, and bought in time for her birthday on 9 January. But somehow, I would have thought her 40th birthday present would have been bought more than 9 days before her birthday. Perhaps the brooch was acquired for their wedding anniversary?

Catherine wore giant earrings to her father-in-law's birthday festivity.

I can’t find this verified anywhere, is there a source other than YouTube?

Those pictures are from 2018, Charles' 70th Birthday. Someone changed her dress color from pink to teal to try to pass it off as new pictures.

Those pictures are from 2018, Charles' 70th Birthday. Someone changed her dress color from pink to teal to try to pass it off as new pictures.

I suspected as much but couldn’t name the occasion. Thanks for doing the research

The Princess is wearing the PoW Feather brooch today at the start of the state visit.

Not surprised to see her debut that brooch but never think she would pair it with a reddish purple/deep magentag outfit......and it isn't a good backdrop for the emerald to be honest, seems like an afterthought to me.

The Princess is wearing the PoW Feather brooch today at the start of the state visit.

And it looks really lovely with that outfit.
Minimal jewels but effective.

Not surprised to see her debut that brooch but never think she would pair it with a reddish purple/deep magentag outfit......and it isn't a good backdrop for the emerald to be honest, seems like an afterthought to me.

I am quite relaxed with a non-traditional mix of colours, and I think the brooch looked lovely against the lovely wine coloured coat.

I am quite relaxed with a non-traditional mix of colours, and I think the brooch looked lovely against the lovely wine coloured coat.

I love seeing unconventional colour combination too (I always whine about Kate's head-to-toe monochrome style in her fashion thread:lol:), but purple and green IMO are a totally unrelated and random combination.

I wonder will Kate get her own "PoW brooch" from William, just like Camilla received the pearl PoW feather brooch from Charles.

I agree. Red and green as colors are contrasting colors that work really well and this burgundy colored dress is close enough to a red that the emerald looks wonderful on it.

And I’m glad to see this brooch!

Back
Top Bottom