The Revolution

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont remember any mention of desecrating Marie Antoinettes body, she was just unceremoniously dumped at the graveyard with other bodiesto be buried and a young Mme Tussaud appeared to take her death mask .

Another interesting fact:

Both Louis and Nicholas II had wives that were of German origin and were profoundly hated to the point of being made a scapegoat.

Thats true I would add easy scapegoats, I don't recall reading if Alexandra had any hate directed towards her specifically being German at least not until the war, and by that time too many people hated her for other reasons that her heritage was just lumped on top. Marie, poor thing, had the unfortunate fate of being the symbol of an alliance with an old enemy.
Man I would love to read up on some of the historical bigotry German royals had to live with while Marrying into the families of EU.

I also don't recall desecration of Marie's body, anyone have any further info.

It is surprising to me that in all that chaos with mobs roaming the streets and the breakdown in law and order, that the Parisian mob did nt decide to go to Versailles and do a bit of looting.

The Royal Family left for Paris in the autumn of 1789 so that vast palace complex... full of paintings, gold clocks... all manner of valuable items was wide open for the taking .... only 20 or so miles from Paris .
Did the sans cullots miss a trick ?

It is surprising to me that in all that chaos with mobs roaming the streets and the breakdown in law and order, that the Parisian mob did nt decide to go to Versailles and do a bit of looting.

The Royal Family left for Paris in the autumn of 1789 so that vast palace complex... full of paintings, gold clocks... all manner of valuable items was wide open for the taking .... only 20 or so miles from Paris .
Did the sans cullots miss a trick ?

Surprisingly there was very little looting most of the contents were sold off at various auctions following October 1789.

I dare say a fair no of items from those sales ended up
in the stately homes of England !

Charles François ,Marquis de Sombreuil with his daughter on his way to the guillotine in June 1794.

465px-An_Incident_in_the_French_Revolution_%28Walter_William_Ouless%29.jpg

Last edited:
The burning of Monarchist symbols and banner at the Place de Concorde in 1793.

Insegne_della_Monarchia_francese%2C_bruciate_in_piazza_a_Parigi_%2810-8-1793%29._Dip._di_P.A._Demachy._Part.jpg

The murdering of Abbé Lenfant (Court Chaplain) and other priests at the start of the September Massacres of 1792.
862px-Assassinat_de_l%27abb%C3%A9_Lenfant_%C3%A0_l%27Abbaye_de_Saint-Germain-des-Pr%C3%A9s%2C_le_3_septembre_1792%2C_rue_Sainte-Marguerite%2C_actuels_1%2C_G.28582%282%29.jpg

Charles François de Virot ,Marquis of Sombreuil was imprisoned along with his 2 sons and daughter in 1792 at the Abbey Prison.
All 4 of them miraculously survived the September Massacres ,thanks to the bravery of his daughter Marie-Maurille de Sombreuil,Countess of Villelume who stood before the bloodthirsty mob and appealed for mercy!
633px-%C3%89pisode_des_massacres_de_septembre_1792.jpg

Sadly the Marquis and his eldest son went to the guillotine on the same day in June 1794.

Charles François de Virot ,Marquis of Sombreuil was imprisoned along with his 2 sons and daughter in 1792 at the Abbey Prison.
All 4 of them miraculously survived the September Massacres ,thanks to the bravery of his daughter Marie-Maurille de Sombreuil,Countess of Villelume who stood before the bloodthirsty mob and appealed for mercy!
633px-%C3%89pisode_des_massacres_de_septembre_1792.jpg

Sadly the Marquis and his eldest son went to the guillotine on the same day in June 1794.

First you take me to a moment of hope with the "All 4 of them miraculously survived the September Massacres, thanks to the bravery of his daughter..." followed by the picture...and then you bring me down and crush my soul to sadness with the closing line "Sadly the Marquis and his eldest son went to the guillotine on the same day"

Now I'm sad, I was counting them to have survived to this day. :cry:

First you take me to a moment of hope with the "All 4 of them miraculously survived the September Massacres, thanks to the bravery of his daughter..." followed by the picture...and then you bring me down and crush my soul to sadness with the closing line "Sadly the Marquis and his eldest son went to the guillotine on the same day"

Now I'm sad, I was counting them to have survived to this day. :cry:
The Countess survived and lived into the Bourbon Restoration,her younger brother was killed in 1795 at Vannes following a Catholic-Royalist insurrection.

The 14 martyrs of Laval
These were a group of elderly priests/monks who were sent to the guillotine during the Terror in January 1794.
14_martyrs_de_Laval.jpg

The Countess survived and lived into the Bourbon Restoration,her younger brother was killed in 1795 at Vannes following a Catholic-Royalist insurrection.
OMG, now I'm sadder than before o_O.

Kidding aside, with so many crappy movies we see mass produced as clones of one another, this history of the the Marquis of Sombreuil's fate and family would make a great novel to write about and turn it into a script or a play.

Thanks @An Ard Ri for always finding these historical gems for the forum.

History and research should not just be about the main protagonists but also include these peripheral characters that suffered the consequences of the actions of the main characters, too.

Last edited:

312px-Portrait_de_Jean_Marie_Dulau%2C_G.20824-244.jpg

Jean-Marie du Lau was the Archbishop of Arles and was among the victims of Massacre of Clergy at the Carmelite Abbey in September 1792 where 94 religious were bludgeoned to death by mobs.
Also murdered here was the Bishop of Beauvais , Jean Charles François de La Rochefoucauld and his younger brother the bishop of Saintes ,Pierre-Louis de La Rochefoucauld .

François-Joseph de La Rochefoucauld ,Bishop of Beauvais​

Fran%C3%A7ois_Joseph_de_La_Rochefoucauld.gif

Pierre-Louis de La Rochefoucauld-Bayers,Bishop of Saintes
470px-Pierre-Louis_de_La_Rochefoucauld-Bayers_%281744-1792%29.jpg

Back
Top Bottom